Rift is my favorite CD

Rift Discussion

Rift is my favorite CD

Postby marley » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:35 am

Not sure if this deserves its own thread, but Rift is my favorite CD from start to finish. I got the CD when it came out in '94 and it's been one of my 'go to' CD's when I needed a lift.

As many of you know, I went through a divorce and bought a new house in the last few years. Somewhere in all of that, I lost my copy of Rift. When I was in grad school trying to figure everything out, living in Tuscaloosa pondering my career, or when things were rough toward the end of my marriage, I'd always pop in Rift, listen to it with headphones, puff a little bit and somehow it always got me through. There's an energy and phlow to it that spoke to me on a level as if to say things will work itself out and things will be OK. It was very reassuring.

Well, when I moved into my new house, which is to say when my divorce was finalized, I couldn't find my copy of Rift. It was my security blanket and I felt bare without it yet I couldn't bring myself to buy another copy. My copy had little burns on the case from burning incense cones on it and the liner notes were a little wrinkled from spilling beer on it. It was 'comfortable', sort of like wearing your favorite pair of jeans, or even your favorite 'show' shirt. I really needed to listen to it and puff over the past few years, but couldn't. It was unsettling.

Anyway, I was cleaning stuff out one of my closets tonight and WHAM! I FOUND IT!!!! It made me so happy, you'd think I just won the jackpot! I'm having my 3rd listen of the night and am happy to report, all is right in the universe!

Kind of weird how some things have a way of working themselves back to you.
#29. "Phishamatics pwns Reganomics" - Pei Yi
"wait a minute... what are we doing?" - Bob Weir
marley
West Side Wook

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Rift is my favorite CD

Postby AsianGirl » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:05 pm

^ Awesome Sean!! Image

Rift is one of my favorites. It's also an easy one to 'brag about' when discussing Phish, to bring out and show to the folks I'm trying to enlighten. Rift was the first CD I popped in as soon as I got home from my first 4-day run of seeing Phish back in 95.
Glad you've been reunited with you favorite!Image
*Everything from now on is all Gravy*
AsianGirl

Postby ladyphish » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:33 pm

I am 100% with you. Rift is the way Phish is supposed to sound, IMO. Glad you found your old phriend :-)
I've been doing this a long time and have seen lots of changes most of which I can't fucking stand...but I still go anyway because I'm there for the MUSIC and so I tolerate all that other bullshit because I DO get the point. So there :-)
ladyphish
The No Good Pa

Postby marley » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:15 pm

Hey Ollie! :wave:

Thanks Pei and Ollie! You have no idea how happy I am!
marley
West Side Wook

Postby hosemasterflex » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:26 pm

AWESOME story Sean!

Rift's way way up there for me too, probably second or third favorite. It only has Junta, Lawn Boy & APoN to compete with IMO.

And it's definitely been one of my go-to discs lately, similar reasons. Can't think of a Phish album I can affix as much meaning to as Rift.

I remember driving to Tower Records in Boston for the midnight release of this album ... I was so so so happy about this album at the time, and I'll never forget the excitement of finally getting studio releases of some of that material. Great artwork, very ambitions musically, epic songs, catchy songs, ... yeah, Rift is just brilliant all around.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby AsianGirl » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:48 am

hO'semasterflex wrote:I remember driving to Tower Records in Boston for the midnight release of this album.

ZOMG you had to drive from RI to Tower Records (Mass Ave & Newbury?) for Rift?! That's dedication!!

Did you have to go to the Tower Records to buy Phish tix too???
*Everything from now on is all Gravy*
AsianGirl

Postby marley » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:44 am

hO'semasterflex wrote:AWESOME story Sean!

And it's definitely been one of my go-to discs lately, similar reasons. Can't think of a Phish album I can affix as much meaning to as Rift.

I remember driving to Tower Records in Boston for the midnight release of this album ... I was so so so happy about this album at the time, and I'll never forget the excitement of finally getting studio releases of some of that material. Great artwork, very ambitions musically, epic songs, catchy songs, ... yeah, Rift is just brilliant all around.

I'm glad to hear I'm not alone with Rift as a go to disc, Kevin!
marley
West Side Wook

Postby marley » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:32 pm

Today is the 20th Anniversary of Rift, my favorite Phish CD of all time.
marley
West Side Wook

Postby Katiemay » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:45 pm

No disc has the same concentration of my favorite Phish tunes as Rift. Perfect album.
Katiemay

Postby marley » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:12 pm

Great minds think alike Katie!
marley
West Side Wook

Postby TanasRoot » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:13 pm

marley wrote:Today is the 20th Anniversary of Rift, my favorite Phish CD of all time.

nice catch sean!

i can't be sure its my favorite... i guess i just love phish too much to ever be able to determine any album is THE one, but... NO DOUBT ABOUT IT this album takes the cake for artwork!!!

ugh... can't wait for a gorgeous gatefold LP that shows off the david welker painting :)
"I'm not making this up..."
TanasRoot

Postby hosemasterflex » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:55 pm

^THAT, yeah. Let's go Phish on these vinyls.

20 years ago, me and a few friends crammed into a van with no heat and no stereo, and drove over an hour to get to the Boston Tower Records midnight release. I remember they had it on mini disc, I think. Or they were starting to push that format at least, maybe Rift wasn't out on it. I just remember seeing mini disc versions of albums for sale that night.

We got pulled over in Providence later than night, probably like 2am, and the van wasn't registered! I have no clue how I got home without any trouble.

We bought tiny speakers at Tower Records so we could *try* and hear Rift in the van all the way home. Someone must have had a discman.

Good times. At least it really does feel like 20 years, that shit was forever ago.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby hosemasterflex » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:32 am

Just reflecting on this thread - Sean, if you haven't already got it, get yourself a copy of the record when you can, even if you don't spin records. You'll thank me, you're welcome, lol.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Return to Rift