bands covering phish

Discuss Phish!

bands covering phish

Postby willbreathes » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:50 pm

I saw somewhere where Umphreys, Flecktones, Govt Mule, Gomez, and OAR are all opening or "with" Dave Matthews Band for the tour. What that means... I dont know...

But with Robert Randolph or Keller opening for DMB last year... Does anyone else feel like they would much rather see the opening act to Dave these days instead of the main event?
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Blog: View Blog (0)

bands covering phish

Postby kaktus » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:57 pm

^yes, absolutely ... i'd prefer keller over dave any day ... (although i really like some of the dmb stuff)
kaktus

bands covering phish

Postby jawbone » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:57 pm

^i'd rather see most of those people instead of Dave Matthews.

especially Keller, Randolph, Flecktones and even Mule, even though i like Warren as more of a side man.
[#42?] nothin' shakin' but the leaves on the trees
jawbone
Skunk Ape Expatriate

bands covering phish

Postby Clark W. Griswold » Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:48 pm

Just a thought, but is it possible that DMB is trying to capture a piece of the "jamband" pie. They have all these bands that COULD fall into this catagory/genre (ie. Umphey's, Mule, Felctones....) and it just seems to me that they/he might be trying to solidify his place in the "jamband" genre. Almost his way of saying "look, we can jam just like these guys, or those guys, so please group us in with them...."
We passed a goddamn gas station every 10 yards for 1000 miles, but when you really need one, you end up walking your ass off. This is no way to run a desert!
Praise Marty Moose!
Clark W. Griswold

bands covering phish

Postby Clark W. Griswold » Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:50 pm

And just a sidenote, I always put "jamband" in quotes 'cause I really don't like to catagorize bands in this way, but I do it for the sake of clarity/argument. OK sorry for the double post....
We passed a goddamn gas station every 10 yards for 1000 miles, but when you really need one, you end up walking your ass off. This is no way to run a desert!
Praise Marty Moose!
Clark W. Griswold

bands covering phish

Postby OlfactoryHue » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:49 pm

^bizump

Im checkin out the Phix show at the house of blues in atlantic city tonight. I've never scene them but have listened to some tunes from their webpage, sound pretty friggin tight. The composed parts sound dead on, im pretty pumped to hear some phish tunes and drink some brews.

Whats your alls feeling on Phix. I know there a cheesey cover band, but when i close my eyes will it sound like phish is there performing? Anybody else from the tri state area checkin this out?
OlfactoryHue
Dr. Pulgar Verde

Blog: View Blog (2)

bands covering phish

Postby ladyphish » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:10 pm

I've seen Phix twice and it's always a great time. They'll impress you, or at least they did me. I was quite skeptical the first time I saw them, but it was definetly worth the 5 or 7 bucks admission. They'll do Reba better than Phish did post hiatus! The band's tight, for sure. It's weird though, because they guitar player is a large guy and he's left handed, so it's kind of a mind fuck for your vision not to match the sound. They're really nice about requests, so don't be shy. First time I saw them, I requested Reba and bam, Reba. 2nd time I requested The Sloth, and bam, Sloth. It's not Phish, but when you've had a few drinks, it'll feel like the next best thing. I'm jealous, have a great time!
I've been doing this a long time and have seen lots of changes most of which I can't fucking stand...but I still go anyway because I'm there for the MUSIC and so I tolerate all that other bullshit because I DO get the point. So there :-)
ladyphish
The No Good Pa

bands covering phish

Postby UB-40 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:59 pm

I think they're great at the music, I don't really like the guy's voice though. I was gonna go see them last october but I went to see Panic instead.
#∞
You are a person who is high class. You are a person not in my class.
UB-40

bands covering phish

Postby OlfactoryHue » Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:01 am

thanks ladyphish, i like that better than the phucker, i had fuck in my name but took it out, i was getting tired of that word

I'm off in a few minutes. i'll def shout out some requests thanks to your post, not sure what i'll yell. Id like to hear a nice roggae jam or a SOAM should be a chill show, esp for 10 bucks.
OlfactoryHue
Dr. Pulgar Verde

bands covering phish

Postby shay » Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:04 am

I saw Phix on Wednesday night. They definitely do a better job on the Gamehenge stuff than anything else. I didn't like the vocals on Divided Sky - thankfully not much vocals in DS! Meatstick was fun. I hadn't heard it in ages.

They are talented and a fun show.
shay

bands covering phish

Postby OlfactoryHue » Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:16 am

wha who, sounds like good things. i wasn't expecting much on the vocals, the stuff on their website sounded pretty good, but thats b/c they get to pick the ones they want on there.
OlfactoryHue
Dr. Pulgar Verde

bands covering phish

Postby ladyphish » Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:49 am

I kinda forgot about the "ucker". I should stop being such a lemming and change it back, huh? Anywho, enjoy the show! And you don't have to shout requests at them, silly. They're very nice and are usually walking around during setbreaks chatting with the patrons.
I've been doing this a long time and have seen lots of changes most of which I can't fucking stand...but I still go anyway because I'm there for the MUSIC and so I tolerate all that other bullshit because I DO get the point. So there :-)
ladyphish
The No Good Pa

bands covering phish

Postby rivshark86 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:04 pm

I am missing a Phix show in Fredricksburg, and two Widespread shows in the Norfolk area to go to the beach with some friends for two weeks. If I have enough money though I think I am going to catch one of the Widespread shows. It's going to be a fun two weels though.
rivshark86

bands covering phish

Postby ladyphish » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:23 pm

So, what'd you think of the show?
ladyphish
The No Good Pa

bands covering phish

Postby OlfactoryHue » Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:30 pm

I must say Im quite impressed. They are really tight musically, not a flub or missplayed note at all. Can't say the same for the Phish shows I've scene. Really high energy too.

Upon arriving, a friend and I searched for the House of Blues ticket window. We searched and searched and found none. Right near where they had the security check to get into the room Phix was playing was a tripod sign that had a cardboard cut out sitting on to outstretched legs, on those legs, a bunch of tickets. My friend spotted this, grabbed one, and got in line, sure enough they took his ticket, so i followed suit. Needless to say we got free tickets, not like it was expensive anyway, tickets i think were 10$, but free beat 10$ anyday. Nice little venue, kinda like walking into a local bar someplace and having a band be there. No big lighting rig but it was nice and cozy. The crowd was into, lots of dancing by all, and siging along. Most people there knew the phish repitore so it lead for a chill crowd. Security was tuff since the room was big and only about 1/6 the way full. No prob on exit and re entry so at set break my friend and I took a walk to the car.

These guys really do smoke, I danced my ass off and loved every minute. This truly was a great time, if anybody out there has to chance to go, go.

As far as set list this is what I accumlated during the show, my phone crapped out on me so i lost what i had typed in a text message i saved, but this is what I piece together.

Set I.
The curtain
Slave to the Traffic Light
Funky Bitch
My Friend My Friend (really liked the way they did this, high energy and some wicked guitar riffs)
Punch You in the Eye
Maze (this jam was impressive, really made me tear up some rug)
Fee (really smooth Fee, not as stop/starty as the way Phish would play it)
David Bowie (again, really impressive jam, lots o dancing)

Set II
Destiny Unbound
Momma Dance (friggin perfect in every way, must of been a live in Brooklyn nood)
My Sweet One (a nood to GRAB playin this recently? I thought so)
Horn (took some energy out of the place, but I needed it after the raging Momma, good version)
Birds of a Feather (contained the Momma Dance theme in some guitar teases, great playing)
Reba (could it get anybetter, this Reba was like i was listening to Phish from 93, blew my mind)
Wilson (another nod to the GRAB playing this? Great chanting by crowd, rip roaring guitar)
Drowned (another sick jam, these guys play insanely well)

Encore:
Sparkle (really dancy on this encore, the phans that remained, me included danced, then danced faster, and faster, great high energy ender. I was hoping for one more tune, but they ended it on an upbeat note, no harm in that)

I can't say enough for the fun that was had. I felt as if I got to see Phish back in the day which I didn't have the chance of due to age and lack of knowledge of who Phish was. Im 23 so I got to see post hiatus and I can firmly say that the show I witnessed last night, though not Phish, was musically speaking better than all the Phish shows I did see which were 2/25/03, 8/12/04 and of course (8/14/04 - 8/15/04) I know that none of these shows were spectacular, the 2/25/03 and 8/12/04 were the best of the 3/4 Phish shows I did witness, but I have listened to countless hours of Live Phish, enough to know that these guys practice, and that practice makes all the difference in the world. Shit I wish that Phish had the desire they used to have and now seems like Phix has for the tunes. It's so ass backwards it's get me kinda upset, b/c really I just want to hear Phish play this tightly again. The vocals of Phix are actually pretty good, nothing great, but then again, most phish shows I've heard the vocals are hit or miss. The boys can sign better than Phix, thats for sure, but it wasn't showing post hiatus. So much to go on and on about.

Really go check them out if you can. Sorry it took awhile for the right up ladyphish, had to go to the dentist at 8 45 this morn after a crazy night in AC so I just woke, no it's time for a spagetti and meatball breakfast. PC in the middle east yall, seriously.
OlfactoryHue
Dr. Pulgar Verde

bands covering phish

Postby ghost_2000 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:47 pm

nice write up, factory.

i need to get a quick Phix.

cover bands are not that bad at all....i mean, for gods sake, its as close as you can get to the actual thing!

I saw DSO in December 2001 and it was really, really good. I would recommend it.
My room is round when I lay down, when I wake up it's square.
ghost_2000
The Apparition

bands covering phish

Postby OlfactoryHue » Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:57 pm

^indeed. I've seen cover bands before that I didn't even like the orignal band all that much. So to get out and see a cover band of a band that I love is just icing on the cake. I have yet to hear DSO but have had friends that have seen them, supposedly they recreate the dead sound to a T, Phix had Phish's sound down too, but they still made it sound different as well. Their guitar player has some serious chops, i guess if you cover Trey's material thats a given, but he was above and beyond what I was expecting. Very little wasted movement with his hands, very technically sound guitar player, though he did not employee the trill as much as Trey normally does, or the machine gun like 16th notes. He did use these techniques, just didn't use them as much as Trey, which i think is great b/c it gives the jams a different feel, though it's still an oh so familar feel. If you can get a quick Phix, this Dr. def. recomends doing it.
OlfactoryHue
Dr. Pulgar Verde

bands covering phish

Postby deadphish23 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:37 am

http://www.helpingphriendlyband.com/media/mp3/fluffhead.mp3

Here's my band covering Fluffhead. Audience recording from several months ago.
deadphish23

bands covering phish

Postby jawbone » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:26 am

i did an Antelope jam in between sets one time when my freind used to have a weekly gig at this bar on Ft. Lauderdale Beach. I would sit in with her and sometimes do some intrumental illness in between sets by myself.
[#42?] nothin' shakin' but the leaves on the trees
jawbone
Skunk Ape Expatriate

Re: bands covering phish

Postby Phinst » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:42 pm

...Dip a ladle for a taste of her creation...& she knew that what she made...
would be the Finest in the Nation....

2017: Chicago x2: Dayton>Pittsburgh
Phinst

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:27 pm

^Nice. Have a chance to see them in Nov but they're overlapping another show. Oh well.
El Bastarde

Postby willbreathes » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:09 am

1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Previous

Return to General Phish Discussion