CURVEBALL CANCELLED

Discuss Phish!

CURVEBALL CANCELLED

Postby Harpua » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:38 pm

Curveball has been cancelled due to an unsafe water supply.

A STATEMENT FROM PHISH

Dear friends, our Phish family..

The four of us are writing this from directly behind the stage at Watkins Glen. We were about to walk onstage only moments ago for our traditional soundcheck jam for Curveball when we were told the heartbreaking news that due to the unsafe water conditions in the Village of Watkins Glen, our beloved festival is being canceled.

We are still in shock. The entire site is already set up and ready to go after literally months of work by our beloved hardworking crew, many of whom have been here for weeks. Our families are here, our gear is set, our tents are up. We keep waiting for someone to come over and tell us that there is a solution, and that the festival can go on. Unfortunately, it is not possible.

We are so terribly sorry for the inconvenience that this is causing so many of you. We hope from the bottoms of our hearts that at the very least this news will reach you before too much disruption takes place in your personal lives. We know that people traveled far, at great expense. We understand that people are missing work, and changing their schedules around.. we wish so much that there was some way that this wasn’t happening.

This summer has been absolutely joyous, with each gig building on the previous one, and we were all buzzing with excitement about Curveball. Please accept our deepest apologies for the disruption that this has caused all of you.. We wish there was something else we could say.

Thank you all from the depths of our souls for the joy that you continue to share with us every night. This has been the greatest summer we can remember.

Travel safe and know that we are as heartbroken as all of you. We are standing back here behind the stage, at our party that we’ve been planning for over a year, and we have just told that it won’t happen. There’s just nothing we can do.

Thank you all for your understanding.

With Love,
Phish
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: CURVEBALL CANCELLED

Postby clevername » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:28 am

I'm not crying, you're crying.
clevername

Postby themomadans » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:43 pm

So surreal to hear this driving to the festival. It's absolutely the right decision though.
Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is the best
themomadans

Postby hosemasterflex » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:00 pm

I thought it was a lame joke when I first got the text. Next thing I know I'm turning around and my son and I are trying to keep from flipping out, lol. Poor kid sooooo wanted to do this.
:thumbdown:

Luckily there's no one to blame, and there's no horrible incident causing me to miss it. It could have been that I missed the fest for some family emergency. Could have been that something happened to the band ... pretty much couldn't have been for an easier reason, you know?
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby delayloop » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:04 pm

Really really hope they're planning something crazy to make up for it. Would love to see them take it up to the barn and live stream a jam or something. . .
Southern Phish
delayloop

Postby fone » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:07 pm

^I wouldn't be surprised.
Here's your ticket pack your bag
Time for jumpin' overboard
The transportation is here
Close enough but not too far,
Maybe you know where you are
Fightin' fire with fire
fone
The Sage

Postby El Bastarde » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:07 pm

God, this sucks so much for those going. I can't imagine the expense and planning and excitement for this thing going in and then having it ripped from you.
El Bastarde

Postby ErrandWolfe » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:41 am

Here's a place of elegance...
ErrandWolfe

Postby willbreathes » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:53 pm

I was seriously concerned when it said it was cancelled for "health reasons."

Before reading the article, I thought one of the band was ill in some way. This was a relief.
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby hosemasterflex » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:53 am

I remember feeling nervous, I guess, more than anything. I was afraid of how detrimental this was gonna be for my 17 yr old. It was his birthday and literally a dream coming true for him that suddenly was like some cruel fate bullshit. His first ever Phish show, and current obsession, and kind of a tough couple of years for him (& between him and me, too). I remember just wishing it'd suddenly reverse course, and the fest would be back on, yet knowing there was 0% chance of that. I joked that I felt guilty, that somehow I'd failed him, even though it wasn't my fault - because it was supposed to make up for my past failures!

Almost immediately though, the jokes start to fly, which really help to cope - Luke had some great ones. "Welp. At least we didn't have to do all that dancing." I think I said "Thankfully we don't have to pack up and leave a really fun festival and go back to normal life."

So, we ended up stopping at one of them corporate food gas areas off I-90, for a slice of pizza and a strawberry milkshake. Trying to just gather ourselves and fully decide if we were really driving home, or what. Do we start looking for campgrounds? We're all packed up.

Luke was hip to his cousins' camping plan in southern RI, so we barged in on my brother's camping plan and chilled with them for a few days. Worked out to be pretty okay, although not totally great or anything .. or maybe it was? Certainly couldn't make up for the promise of a Phish fest that we imagined.

But the campground is near a disc golf course we know, and so we golfed a bunch of rounds, and Luke got his first ever hole in one. After the excitement he goes, "Thank God we didn't go to CurveBall." LOL. Pretending to be so relieved that we didn't go had become a shtick by that point, but that was brilliant. I can't remember the other ones, but to get his first ace and level that joke right away was pretty cool.

Anyway it was pretty sweet and simple times at the campsite there, and we have tickets for an Albany show. Hopefully catch a bunch of the Dick's webcast since we get to stream it free with our cancelled ticket codes.

Is that what it's called? Webcast? Suddenly that term feels like it's wrong, just like how saying 'dicks' feels wrong. What am I even doing right now?
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby willbreathes » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:25 pm

Dickscast.

Google it.
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby Katiemay » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:50 pm

Kevin, you and your son were some of the people I thought of specifically, regarding the cancellation. I was happy to read of your son being into them and you 2 going to the fest together and sorry that it didn't get to happen for him. Sounds like you 2 handled the letdown in the best way possible, doing something else and joking through the disappointment.
Katiemay

Postby hosemasterflex » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:54 pm

^Hey thanks Katiemay, I was pretty glad we got through it well too! I might get him some kind of Curveball merch for Christmas or somethin.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby willbreathes » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:23 pm

I wonder what the highlight would have been...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby booztravlr » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:10 pm

willbreathes wrote:I wonder what the highlight would have been...

Obviously, when they played Big Ball Jam for the entire hour long late night set. It got out of control when fans popped Mike's balloon first. He joined up on Page's keyboard until Trey's got popped, which sent him over Fishman's kit and Fishman took over the vacuum cleaner. Once Page's was the last one bouncing they all broke into an a capella group for the last 10 minutes while Page got to dictate the setlist for the first time ever. I typed this one out first then realized, it needed to be a true curveball...

The late night set was similar to the Superball storage set where the band was hidden. Given this one was Curveball, the band staged a similar setup with a fake band inside the storage container. Well past the time when music was expected to start, people in the crowd start to realize the band is walking among them in costumes of each other. They all come together in the back of the crowd and start singing a capella songs and the crowd joins in.
the eleven | To weird to live, to rare to die.
booztravlr
Mr Boombastic

Return to General Phish Discussion