Type Your Phish Thoughts

Discuss Phish!

Re: Type Your Phish Thoughts

Postby TanasRoot » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:16 pm

Harpua wrote:
I can honestly say I enjoy Phish more right now than I ever have before.

i love you man this is my shit right here the fog has lifted :clap:
"I'm not making this up..."
TanasRoot

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby El Bastarde » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:53 pm

not sure how or why but 2016 was a little disconnected for phish and everyone. maybe it was the process of making the album? we already know Bob Ezrin called shots that not everyone in the band agreed with. and then the LEDs and i guess it was truly a year of transition for phish.

I thought they were awesome last year. And I've felt Big Boat and Fuego have both been really sweet albums. It just feels like they're in some creativity zone right now and it's translating to the live shows. Maybe it's just everyone being in a nice mood and getting along and being pleased with their place in life.

so here we have 2017. Trey wrote new songs and went on a bomb ass tour.

Yeah, hard to deny how awesome that TAB tour was as well...I'm was surprised since they seemed to be leaning to shorter tunes in the last few tours.

Last night was simply gorgeous.
El Bastarde

Postby Harpua » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:36 pm

^ ^ :thumbup:

I was thinking about punctuating all the paragraphs with :

"... And The Light Is Growing Brighter Now..."

El Bastarde wrote:
Last night was simply gorgeous.

Yeah. That show bullied it's way into the conversation of "best of 3.0" along with 10.31.14 and Magnaball.

PardonMe Doug wrote:
Also, we're expecting our first baby in January so may opportunities for such shenanigans will be dwindling soon methinks :think:

This kind of got buried, but - Holy Shit - Congratulations dude!
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby Harpua » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:42 pm

Opener: Chocolate Rain or Pure Imagination (Sung by Fish)
Chocolate Jesus - Tom Waits
Chocolate Salty Balls - Isaac Hayes (Chef)
The Lamia - Genesis (Lamb Lies Down on Broadway is one of Trey's favorite albums)
Heart Shaped Box - Nirvana
Freedom of '76 -Ween

Should be weird. I won't be able to tune in tonight unfortunately.
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby Harpua » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:51 am

Harpua wrote:Opener: Chocolate Rain or Pure Imagination (Sung by Fish)

:wave: :wave:
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby Harpua » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:25 pm

Oh boy, this will be my 4th consecutive post in this thread. I have to say, I don't like it. I think my most consecutive post prior to this was a triple post about 9.6.15. But I have thoughts about Phish these days. Lots of 'em. I'm pretty much in full-blown Phish mode right now.

That Harpua (7.30) was something else. There are many ways to rank a Harpua (Best Songs Played Within, Funniest, Best Guests, most sentimental, etc), so I probably wouldn't call any "the best." I have my favorites, 11.25.94 (Love Beams), 7.16.94*(Poster gets hit by a comet),12.6.96(Les Claypool and the Elvises (or Elvi)), 11.2.98 (DSotM), and 9.6.15 (THANK YOU).

7.30.17's didn't really fit any of the Harpua molds. It was funny, but not riotously funny like some of the others. It was completely scripted (plagiarized from a NYT article apparently). It was educational if you were able to grasp what was being said, I was not. It gave each band member a voice. It was spectacular.

It gave us a number of quotable moments such as: "There are lumps in the cosmic gravy", "The more holes, the more complicated the topology", and "Poster is dead; The universe is a donut."

Just when you think Phish has out Phished themselves, they do something like discussing theoretical cosmology after two stellar jams, in front of 20,000 tripping hippies, burnt-out wooks, spinning spinners, chomping chompers, jaded vets, euphoric fluffers, and probably a little bit confused noobs.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby SirChompsAlot » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:00 am

I will break your streak Harpua.

I'll have to say that my love for Phish has come and gone over the years, but after having seen them 7 times in the past year or so (wrigley, Grand Prairie, and Northerly), I am definitely in one of my "I love Phish!" phases.

This MSG run especially has made it fun trying to think of what they might play every night with the themes and whatnot. Plus on this tour they seem to be near the top of their game, musically, which is definitely not hurting my enjoyment of it.
SirChompsAlot

Postby willbreathes » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:17 pm

Welcome, Chomps!

I love me some Phish. This MSG run is spectacular.
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:17 pm

Oh boy, this will be my 4th consecutive post in this thread. I have to say, I don't like it.

My apologies for not responding. I agree, it's been an exciting few weeks.

That Harpua (7.30) was something else.

AND educational!

It was completely scripted (plagiarized from a NYT article apparently)

Well, I certainly didn't expect to find out they wrote all that themselves.

Just when you think Phish has out Phished themselves, they do something like discussing theoretical cosmology after two stellar jams, in front of 20,000 tripping hippies

I know. Only a few other bands would even try this (maybe Peter Gabriel).

This MSG run especially has made it fun trying to think of what they might play every night with the themes and whatnot. Plus on this tour they seem to be near the top of their game, musically, which is definitely not hurting my enjoyment of it.

Agreed. It's like their elevated musical form from the last few years combined with the "they could play anything!" feel of the late 90's.
El Bastarde

Postby marley » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:13 pm

My call is a nod to Jerry tonight since it's Maple night. I'm guessing Sugaree.
#29. "Phishamatics pwns Reganomics" - Pei Yi
"wait a minute... what are we doing?" - Bob Weir
marley
West Side Wook

Postby ghost » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:20 pm

^ I just wondered the same thing in the bakers dozen thread. I should read all new stuff before I post.
ghost
Human Being

Postby clevername » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:31 pm

Friday can't come soon enough! I don't think I've been THIS excited to go see Phish since maybe Fest 8
Ship Of Fools wrote:This is a Message Board, not a Tolerance Board.

henrietta wrote:if you are in a parking garage in the middle of Manhattan you are doing New York wrong.
clevername

Postby El Bastarde » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:57 pm

Second set last night was one of the best of the tour. Even with the most jam-heavy sets, they tend to taper off near the end. That one never did.
El Bastarde

Postby Harpua » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:13 pm

^ I felt the set got stronger as it progressed. When they closed out the set with Possum, they were playing better than they had all night. The whole "on paper" thing is completely subjective, but to me this is one of those sets that is better "in practice" than it is "on paper." Others might say, "Tom, are you crazy? A set that features Golden Age, Steep, Piper, and Possum isn't great on paper?!" To which I might say, "Yup."

This themed run is kinda hurting my "No predictions / No expectations" thing, but I don't actually expect to hear the songs that I throw out. My Chocolate Rain and O Canada predictions were pretty fluky. I would have enjoyed the show just as much if they hadn't played them, because - Of course they aren't going to play Chocolate rain or O Canada! :roll:

Tonight's show will feature a Harpua during which they will have a heady discussion about how the universe is actually spherical.

Maybe - Fixing A Hole or A Day in the Life (4000 holes in Blackburn Lancashire), a song from the band Hole, or the soundtrack to the movie Holes.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby willbreathes » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:07 pm

In A Hole, massive bustout. Dedicated to neck.
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby ghost » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:30 pm

These guys...

I just read this in this article:
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/phish-why-bakers-dozen-shows-are-a-fans-dream-w494611

They played Shuggie Otis' Strawberry Letter 23, and then the encore for that show was Peaches En Regalia. Shuggie Otis played bass on the original studio recording of Peaches on Hot Rats.

:o :clap:
ghost
Human Being

Postby SirChompsAlot » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:26 pm

Black Hole Sun? Supermassive Black Hole?

I don't like the idea of either of those as Phish covers.
SirChompsAlot

Postby marley » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:50 pm

Hole Lotta Love.
#29. "Phishamatics pwns Reganomics" - Pei Yi
"wait a minute... what are we doing?" - Bob Weir
marley
West Side Wook

Postby Harpua » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:52 pm

"...solemn hippie-pop of "Breath and Burning"..." (See Note 1)

"...Ignoring other powder-themed Phish songs ("Sand", "Snow")..." (See Note 2)

"...a bust-out of Prince's "1999". A song whose unimaginable future has now become part of the nostalgic past, it served as an island in an hour-long jam sequence..." (See Note 3)

Note 1: What? Is that Rolling Stone's way of saying "Dad Rock"?

Note 2: Ah, Yes. The classic Phish tune "Snow." One of three "Wingsuit" songs not to make it onto "Fuego." A song that garnered such rave reviews as:
Probably the only one I'm not diggin. - Piper
Yeah, this might be the worst song they've ever written. - Goldenroad
I could see potential in a Billy-Breathes kind of large ambiance. . . . but it really sounds like an awful Fleet-Foxes cover band. - Delayloop
Literally the highest praise it received here at The OKP was when it was described as a "New song" by Mafujon.

Note 3: Two issues: 1) Trey would probably cringe if he saw the word "nostalgic" used to describe anything Phish has done since the reunion aside from the "Jemp Truck Set." 2) I get that Jesse Jarnow is pretty well respected. I haven't read "Heads" yet, but I do plan to. This string of word vomit reads like Jesse thought to himself, " Do you know what? I have my MFA, and I'm damn sure going to use it."
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby El Bastarde » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:08 pm

Note 1: What? Is that Rolling Stone's way of saying "Dad Rock"?

I hope not. Breath and Burning is not "Dad rock."

Note 2: Ah, Yes. The classic Phish tune "Snow." One of three "Wingsuit" songs not to make it onto "Fuego." A song that garnered such rave reviews as:

My review: "I can't even remember Snow."

And I'm not sure why you'd read any national review on this band unless it was an interview. Music is so subjective and it's hard to describe it as it...it always comes off as someone reviewing wine flavors. And it's not like the "real fans" are any better since half the folks on boards like this just nitpick jams way too much and it gets old as well. At least that article is mostly positive.
El Bastarde

Postby Harpua » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:12 pm

I hope not. Breath and Burning is not "Dad rock."

I'm gonna level with you. I don't know what "Dad Rock" is. (My dad listens to Santana and Steely Dan) Whenever I see someone try to define it, they are basically just making fun of Eric Clapton, and then they give a vague "I can't really define it, but I know it when I hear it." Myself, I've always considered Breath and Burning "reverent bohemian light rock."

My review: "I can't even remember Snow."

10/31/2013 was its only performance. It was an acoustic tune, with Mike playing resonator. Check it out on the Youtubes. It isn't great.

At least that article is mostly positive.

Agreed. Nearly all the press around the band lately has been positive, and that is a good thing. Though, some of it makes me roll my eyes, like Esquire's "Phish Is the Adult Version of Not Having to Brush Your Teeth Before Bed."
Last edited by Harpua on Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby GratefulPhish » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:24 pm

Breath and Burning is most certainly Dad Rock. But Bastarde likes DMB, so his scale for Dad Rock must be a little off :lol:
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Postby Phinst » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:33 pm

The 'Dad rock' term these days is basically people just saying they don't like a particular song and or band. I hear too many people saying "well I can't define "Dad Rock" but I know it when I hear it" :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is how I see Dad Rock

"The standard set of albums from the 60s and 70s that every boomer likes. Boomers try to get younguns to listen to dad rock by loading up "best albums ever" lists with them. Dad rockers have no desire to listen to recent music and are stuck in the past."

"Classic rock you first heard from your dad's old record collection"

If I had to guess A lot of us like the so called Dad rock bands- Eagles, Beatles, Rolling stones,etc..

If anything Breath and Burning would be contemporary (which also has varying degress of soul,pop,blues and rock
...Dip a ladle for a taste of her creation...& she knew that what she made...
would be the Finest in the Nation....

2017: Chicago x2: Dayton>Pittsburgh
Phinst

Postby TanasRoot » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:59 pm

dang man F that article with its inaccuracies :shh:

and as i wrote in the thread for the 7/26 show, 1999 was actually the MOST and cleverest powdered themed song choice all night
"I'm not making this up..."
TanasRoot

Postby GratefulPhish » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:22 pm

"The 'Dad rock' term these days is basically people just saying they don't like a particular song and or band." This not at all true to me.

The Rolling Stones and the Beatles are definitely not Dad Rock...it's not just classic rock in general. Eagles, yeah probably. Steely Dan is Dad Rock, and probably the perfect example of it. Nothing wrong with liking some Dad Rock, it's just a bummer that one of my favorite bands wrote almost an entire album's worth of it (Big Boat). What makes Dad Rock suck is when a band comes out with "new" Dad Rock, because Dad Rock has already happened- so there's nothing fresh or new about a band putting out Dad Rock music today.
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

PreviousNext

Return to General Phish Discussion