Type Your Phish Thoughts

Discuss Phish!

Re: Type Your Phish Thoughts

Postby willbreathes » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:44 pm

I'm so confused... Petrichor is Dad Rock? No Mens... is Dad Rock?

If Steely Dan is Dad Rock, I love me some Dad Rock.

Is the opposite of Dad Rock... Kid Rock?

It is a stupid term.
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby booztravlr » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:13 pm

willbreathes wrote:Is the opposite of Dad Rock... Kid Rock?

:clap: Bravo sir.

Also just learned that Petrichor means 'a pleasant smell that frequently accompanies the first rain after a long period of warm, dry weather.'

I've been waiting all MSG for them to play it so I can finally give it a listen.
the eleven | To weird to live, to rare to die.
booztravlr
Mr Boombastic

Postby Phinst » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:59 pm

GratefulPhish wrote:
The Rolling Stones and the Beatles are definitely not Dad Rock...it's not just classic rock in general. Eagles, yeah probably. Steely Dan is Dad Rock, and probably the perfect example of it. Nothing wrong with liking some Dad Rock, it's just a bummer that one of my favorite bands wrote almost an entire album's worth of it (Big Boat).

Dude,
How is Rolling stones and Beatles not Dad Rock,yet Eagles, Maybe? and oh yea Steely Dan is def Dad Rock :eh:

Dad Rock is not a particular musical style or genre. It's simply music that our elders listen/listened to that we may or may not like

And Big Boat while you may not like is not Dad Rock.. Too contemporary? too Poppy? Too many ballads? I can go with that. But just saying Dad rock is just a lazy term and meaningless. kids these days
...Dip a ladle for a taste of her creation...& she knew that what she made...
would be the Finest in the Nation....

2017: Chicago x2: Dayton>Pittsburgh
Phinst

Postby Harpua » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:50 pm

booztravlr wrote:
willbreathes wrote:Is the opposite of Dad Rock... Kid Rock?

:clap: Bravo sir.

Also just learned that Petrichor means 'a pleasant smell that frequently accompanies the first rain after a long period of warm, dry weather.'

I've been waiting all MSG for them to play it so I can finally give it a listen.

I actually really dig the song. I think it has unfairly been lumped in with Time Turns Elastic. I get why people would conflate the two, they are the only musically ambitious, multi-movement compositions of 3.0. Petrichor is more fluid than TTE. Where the transitions from movement to movement were kind of abrupt and forced in TTE, Petrichor (mostly) flows like a hose. (That's a saying, right? "flows like a hose." ...I'm sure it is.)
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby GratefulPhish » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:39 pm

Phinst wrote:
GratefulPhish wrote:
The Rolling Stones and the Beatles are definitely not Dad Rock...it's not just classic rock in general. Eagles, yeah probably. Steely Dan is Dad Rock, and probably the perfect example of it. Nothing wrong with liking some Dad Rock, it's just a bummer that one of my favorite bands wrote almost an entire album's worth of it (Big Boat).

Dude,
How is Rolling stones and Beatles not Dad Rock,yet Eagles, Maybe? and oh yea Steely Dan is def Dad Rock :eh:

Dad Rock is not a particular musical style or genre. It's simply music that our elders listen/listened to that we may or may not like

And Big Boat while you may not like is not Dad Rock.. Too contemporary? too Poppy? Too many ballads? I can go with that. But just saying Dad rock is just a lazy term and meaningless. kids these days

It is a musical sound. It's not literally music that our parents listen to. It's music that 50 somethings listened to that they can still handle in their old age...Eagles, Steely Dan, John Mellancamp, Seger, Springsteen (maybe not), just hard enough to call rock but really not the real shit because there's a lot of cheesiness and it's soft enough for old people to still enjoy. Can't You Hear Me Knockin, Brown Sugar, Helter Skelter, Lucy In The Sky- not even close to the same thing. It's not ACDC, Grateful Dead, Yes, Zeppelin, Sabbath. It's a pretty distinguishable sound, and I feel like I can explain it and not just say "I know it when I hear it".

Dad Rock encompasses contemporary/poppy/ballad-y all with two words, so it's a brilliant phrase.

Glad such an important topic has old board members logging in though.
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Postby SirChompsAlot » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:04 pm

GratefulPhish wrote:Glad such an important topic has old board members logging in though.

#triggered

*shrug* I like Big Boat a lot and have no problem calling it "dad rock". It probably doesn't hurt that I'm damn near 40 8-)
SirChompsAlot

Postby willbreathes » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:10 pm

Big Boat is not why I love Phish, but it is enjoyable.
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby El Bastarde » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:15 pm

I'm gonna level with you. I don't know what "Dad Rock" is.

I don't really know what it is either but I assumed it was just a term that younger folks use to refer to tired, overplayed classic rock that they don't like. After seeing the explanations here, I'm even more convinced this is the case.

10/31/2013 was its only performance. It was an acoustic tune, with Mike playing resonator. Check it out on the Youtubes.

Oh, I remember when it was played and I did watch that set once but I just have no clue how it went.

Breath and Burning is most certainly Dad Rock.

See, I don't know any classic rock that sounds like Breath and Burning.

But Bastarde likes DMB, so his scale for Dad Rock must be a little off :lol:

DMB is Dad rock!? I'm so confused.

The 'Dad rock' term these days is basically people just saying they don't like a particular song and or band.

Basically, yes. I also suspect that it's a term just used to troll fans of a song or album that someone else doesn't like. That seems to be the most likely candidate since that's basically ALWAYS the context it's used in, whether the users realize it or not.

The Rolling Stones and the Beatles are definitely not Dad Rock...it's not just classic rock in general. Eagles, yeah probably.

If Breath and Burning is Dad rock then you can fucking bet the Beatles are. And definitely likely the Stones. It's adorable seeing you try to pretend that they're not Dad Rock simply because you like those bands. You're just making my definition more and more true. "Classic rock you don't like."

Steely Dan is Dad Rock, and probably the perfect example of it.

So this implies that "Dad Rock" is basically just a modern term for "soft rock" or "contemporary rock." And, if that's the case, then why the fuck not just call it "soft rock?" And Steely Dan is far from mainstream and jams out their tunes so that's a weird example. And there's very few bands that sound like Steely Dan so claiming that they're part of this "distinguishable sound" that is matched by the likes of Mellancamp and Seger is laughably dumb. Those bands sound nothing alike.

Nothing wrong with liking some Dad Rock, it's just a bummer that one of my favorite bands wrote almost an entire album's worth of it (Big Boat).

Okay, I'd say it's now official that you have no fucking clue what Dad Rock is. Or it's just the case of "I slap that label because I don't like it." And, if Big Boat is "Dad Rock" so is Hoist, Billy Breathes, SOTG, Farmhouse, Joy, Undermind, Fuego and, yes, Rift.

It is a stupid term.

And this conversation on it just proved that.

When that song first came out, I looked up both the definition and how to pronounce it. "Pet-tro-ker"

I actually really dig the song. I think it has unfairly been lumped in with Time Turns Elastic.

That's silly. Petricher is far better. TTE is ripped on because it's not that good and awkward to listen to live. Petricher is excellent live.

just hard enough to call rock but really not the real shit because there's a lot of cheesiness and it's soft enough for old people to still enjoy

Breath and Burning is not "hard enough" to call rock at all. So your own definition disqualifies it.

And, I'm sorry but the only bands that have "harder" rock than Seger and Springsteen are metal and "hard rock" bands. And trying to claim the Stones and the Beatles don't count is laughably inane since listing the one or two songs they do that get heavier is not proving your point since that's not a trend. Again, this is a stupid, stupid label and you need to stop using it.

Dad Rock encompasses contemporary/poppy/ballad-y all with two words, so it's a brilliant phrase.

The only reason the users think it'
El Bastarde

Postby GratefulPhish » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:41 pm

Good lord. :shock:
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Postby Harpua » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:00 pm

GratefulPhish wrote:Good lord. :shock:

Stevo is nothing if not thorough.

I don't know if I have ever had a lemon donut, but I do love me some lemon cake and muffins!

BABY LEMONADE!!! - Syd Barrett
The Lemon Song - Led Zeppelin
Lemon - U2
Something on Beyoncé's Lemonade
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby El Bastarde » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:13 pm

Stevo is nothing if not thorough.

I have my episodes from time to time. :mrgreen:

And honestly, lemon with poppy seeds looks fucking disgusting.

BABY LEMONADE!!! - Syd Barrett
The Lemon Song - Led Zeppelin
Lemon - U2
Something on Beyoncé's Lemonade

Didn't know Syd had a Lemon song...that seems like a good option. Lemon Song seems like an obvious choice which would be badass. I really love U2's Lemon but I highly doubt they'd play that. Beyonce? No way, unless they make it a Fishman song with vacuum.
El Bastarde

Postby Phinst » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:59 pm

Harpua wrote:

Lemon with "POPpy" seeds.. Get ready for some "Dad Rock" ;)
...Dip a ladle for a taste of her creation...& she knew that what she made...
would be the Finest in the Nation....

2017: Chicago x2: Dayton>Pittsburgh
Phinst

Postby willbreathes » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:18 pm

Lemon = Radiohead Everything In It's Right Place
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby ghost » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:15 am

El Bastarde wrote:...unless they make it a Fishman song with vacuum.

Would more vacuum be considered a repeat?

EDIT: I also vote for Zeppelin Lemon Song. I got Zeppelin 2 out today. It's a good one.
ghost
Human Being

Postby GratefulPhish » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:14 am

^^ Nice call.

I love lemon cake. One of my grandma's used to make the best lemon cake I ever did eat. Her's was not purple however.
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Postby Harpua » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:19 pm

Phish is kind of a big deal.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby ghost » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:56 pm

They are so fucking awesome.

I understand that the music and the antics can be hard to wrap your head around, but, if you are a Phish fan, you are lucky.
ghost
Human Being

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:41 pm

Damn, what a run. Love this band. Though, trying to figure out how pink glaze fit into last night. Or maybe it was just a red herring.
El Bastarde

Postby marley » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:13 pm

you mean pink herring?
#29. "Phishamatics pwns Reganomics" - Pei Yi
"wait a minute... what are we doing?" - Bob Weir
marley
West Side Wook

Postby willbreathes » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:38 pm

What about jimmy herring?
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby y0n » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:20 pm

El Bastarde wrote:Damn, what a run. Love this band. Though, trying to figure out how pink glaze fit into last night. Or maybe it was just a red herring.

"I'm feeling glazed."
y0n

Postby SirChompsAlot » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:32 pm

I *finally* got a chance to watch one of the webcasts last night. I ended up going to a bar in Chicago that showed it. It was a great show, and I had a lot of fun despite all of the people chatting through most of the show.

Like others have said, just a great run. I'm glad that I was able to experience last night's show, and listen to a handful of the others (so far) after the fact.
SirChompsAlot

Postby hosemasterflex » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:33 am

My 15-yr-old and his friend were planning to go to a show. Wife and I intervened (so that they'd not like get lost or stolen) and we attempted to all go together. That didn't pan out, so we bought the webcast for Saturday, bought donuts, made burritos and had a kid-friendly Phish party at my place. It was perfect. Couldn't have asked for it to have gone any smoother, or for a cooler show.
:clap:
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby booztravlr » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:12 pm

willbreathes wrote:Lemon = Radiohead Everything In It's Right Place

Count it! :clap:

And judging by the roar from the crowd, a lot in attendance were hoping for the same thing.
the eleven | To weird to live, to rare to die.
booztravlr
Mr Boombastic

Postby y0n » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:03 pm

Feeling so blessed to be alive and able to see this band.
y0n

PreviousNext

Return to General Phish Discussion