Re: Type Your Phish Thoughts

Postby hosemasterflex » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:14 am

Visited PT cuz this place is teh slow. My room smelt bad after. :problem:
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:03 pm

I found an Umphreys board that I'll hit to get my jamband fix. There's a few snobby jerks there but not a lot and most folks are pretty cool.
El Bastarde

Postby ghost » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:46 pm

Harpua wrote:How does everyone feel about the use / overuse of the marimba lumina during jams?

It's ok. Something different. Another tool at their disposal to make cool music. Just no sitars.

^, ^^ It cannot happen like that. This place used to be something. On this, election day 2016, let's start to make the Oh Kee Pa great again. Who's with me?

Do you think the boys thought, "Hey, let's bring back Fuck Your Face." Or did their new management say, "You got any songs with swear words? That's what all the kids like."
ghost
Human Being

Postby hosemasterflex » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:38 am

I listened to the "studio"/thesis version of Gamehenge today, and in Forbin's, he goes, "and he dragged his weary carcass up the mountain" instead of "shit ass". I love it when Trey sings 'shit ass up the mountain'.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby goldenroad » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:25 pm

+1 for shit ass!
goldenroad
Undercover Wook

Postby El Bastarde » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:38 pm

On this, election day 2016, let's start to make the Oh Kee Pa great again.

Let's build a wall and make Phantasy Tour pay for it.

Do you think the boys thought, "Hey, let's bring back Fuck Your Face." Or did their new management say, "You got any songs with swear words? That's what all the kids like."

And why not bring back Dear Mrs. Reagon for the election?

and in Forbin's, he goes, "and he dragged his weary carcass up the mountain" instead of "shit ass". I love it when Trey sings 'shit ass up the mountain'.

It's also weird hearing Wilson without mention of "Rog and Chris," whoever they are. I also like shit-ass. Though I do miss Page's singing part in the original Tela.
El Bastarde

Postby willbreathes » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:51 pm

Did someone say ASSFACE?

1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby goldenroad » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:42 pm

::triggered::
goldenroad
Undercover Wook

Postby Harpua » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:08 pm

With most of 2016 in the rearview mirror, and only 3 show left in the calendar year (none of which are on my agenda), I would like to take a minute to conduct my year-end Phish review.

This was a down year for me, compared to 2015. With Phish only playing 4 shows within 400 miles of me, I was unable to catch as many shows as I would have liked to. I was lucky enough to catch the first 4 shows of the summer tour though.

St Paul was great, the weather was perfect, the city was beautiful, and the show broadened my definition of a good show. You see, ole Tom here is generally all about the jams. I have poo-poo'd most shows that were song heavy, jam light in the past (6.30.2012 comes to mind.) This one was different. They absolutely killed the selection, and I caught a whole mess of firsts. (Pigtail, The Dogs, Undermind, Horn, Dear Prudence, Uncle Pen, I Found a Reason, Round Room, and Billy Breathes.) I have listened to this show many times since. I loved the sexy segue between Simple and I Found a Reason, and loved the slow Water in the Sky.

Wrigley was great. Night one was had some very strong moments (Sand, DWD, Twist & Space Oddity.) Night two was a monster for being so early in the tour. I know that it was legitimately a good show, but I still feel the need to qualify it as to not come off as delusional (more delusional.) This is one of the most complete shows I have attended. Carini > Tweezer (listen to Mike after the 9-minute mark in this Tweezer) > FLUFFHEAD (my stars) > Piper > Steam! Wowzer! This show was pleasing to a curmudgeon like me. Great vibe, good venue (to my surprise) and I got to meet a handful of folks from The Pa. :wave:

Deer Creek was good. My first DC show. My first time seeing a show from a pavilion. Light > Golden Age > Boogie on had some serious meat on its bone. This show, unfortunately, suffered from a serious case of fourth - quarteritis.

That concluded my year.
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby y0n » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:56 pm

Harpua wrote:Wrigley was great. Night one was had some very strong moments (Sand, DWD, Twist & Space Oddity.) Night two was a monster for being so early in the tour. I know that it was legitimately a good show, but I still feel the need to qualify it as to not come off as delusional (more delusional.) This is one of the most complete shows I have attended. Carini > Tweezer (listen to Mike after the 9-minute mark in this Tweezer) > FLUFFHEAD (my stars) > Piper > Steam! Wowzer! This show was pleasing to a curmudgeon like me. Great vibe, good venue (to my surprise) and I got to meet a handful of folks from The Pa. :wave:

That wrigley n2 s2 gets overlooked. That set was fire.
y0n

Postby El Bastarde » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:26 am

So, wow, this band I like is playing tonight...
El Bastarde

Postby hosemasterflex » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:09 pm

I am not paying attention, holy cow & lol. I'm seein' Phish tomorrow??! I had been really paying attention, listened to about half of fall tour and then like, forgot all about Phish.

One show only, just Friday night, then straight back to regular life.

Just put on LP20 - it's been 22 years, one of my favorite Phish shows of all.

12/29/94 Providence Civic Center, Providence RI

set one's songs, set two's songs, then the encore
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby El Bastarde » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:26 pm

Man, what's up with this band and Golden Age lately? When you see that show up in those early second sets, you're not just getting a sweet jam but a fucking epic. Led to many of the best jams of the year.
El Bastarde

Postby y0n » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:44 pm

El Bastarde wrote:Man, what's up with this band and Golden Age lately? When you see that show up in those early second sets, you're not just getting a sweet jam but a fucking epic. Led to many of the best jams of the year.

Second consecutive 4 night run with a top notch Golden Age dropped set 2 night 1. So ironic given the current political climate...here's to hoping we are actually on the cusp of a golden age.
y0n

Postby Harpua » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:08 am

hosemasterflex wrote:
12/29/94 Providence Civic Center, Providence RI

set one's songs, set two's songs, then the encore

Thanks for posting the setlist.

That's some Bowie. Some sweet delay loop, and then some deep dark dank.
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby hosemasterflex » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:03 am

Hell of a rock concert, the LivePhish 20. Sorry, I was workin'.

Phish.net wrote:Providence , RI

Soundcheck: Sample in a Jar, The Old Home Place, Uncle Pen, Funky Bitch

SET 1: Runaway Jim -> Foam, If I Could, Split Open and Melt, The Horse > Silent in the Morning, Uncle Pen, I Didn't Know, Possum

SET 2: Guyute, Digital Delay Loop Jam -> David Bowie [1], Halley's Comet > The Lizards, Hold Your Head Up > Cracklin' Rosie > Hold Your Head Up, Good Times Bad Times

ENCORE: My Long Journey Home[2], Sleeping Monkey
[1] Whistling and a "Lassie" chant.
[2] Acoustic.
Unlike many Runaway Jim and Foam combos, the opening to this show contained an actual segue between the two songs. Runaway Jim and Possum included Dueling Banjos teases. Possum also included an L.A. Woman tease. Before Guyute, Trey teased Spill the Wine. This epic Bowie, which times out at nearly 34 minutes, included whistling and a “Lassie” chant, a brief 2001 tease from Mike, and a whistled tease of Fishin' Hole. GTBT included Heartbreaker and Stairway to Heaven teases. My Long Journey Home was performed acoustic. The soundcheck's Sample was only one verse. This show was officially released as Live Phish 20.

I had a blast at this show, and then, Diana found a bootleg CD of it for me the following summer. Long before you could get digital anything. Before A Live One probably. All I had were a few live cassettes, and the official CDs to that point.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby Harpua » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:04 pm

^ I hate that tone can't be properly conveyed on forums. My comment was completely in jest. :oops:
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby hosemasterflex » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:22 am

Yeah I chuckled, but then it's like, yeah let's see that setlist!
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby henrietta » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:06 pm

hosemasterflex wrote:
One show only, just Friday night, then straight back to regular life.

Only show you needed to go to........ :silent:
henrietta

Postby hosemasterflex » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:24 am

I got a good show for sure. Renewed my faith in the band in a big way actually. Just spun the (first) Big Boat record, and I really enjoyed that they did so much newer shit in the third set of NYE.

Throw in that they played a huge number of songs in 2016, and that Trey's sound and playing are dialed in real nice, and a brand new record to promote, ... yeah they're pretty badass right about now.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:34 pm

^Man, if you needed to hit an MSG show to have your "faith renewed" then I gotta wonder what you've been listening to for the last couple years. Sometimes I worry that you just think about this stuff too much. Glad you had a good time though.
El Bastarde

Postby hosemasterflex » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:24 pm

I'm glad I had a good time too. I'm also glad I have the right to my own experience and opinion. I hope you don't feel disparaged in my responses to your experience and opinion. Cheers, happy new year.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby themomadans » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:02 am

I just re listened to 12/30/16 set 2. Goddamn is that some good stuff. What an awesome MSG run. I plan on putting up some reviews for each show eventually, but I'll leave it at that right now. Phish is a really good band.

+1 in support of the dankness of 12/29/94. Bluegrass plus a half fuckin hour Bowie and really tight Phish tunes. Oh hell yeah.
Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is the best
themomadans

Postby y0n » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:33 pm

I'm gonna hazard a guess that Mexico shows this year will be better than last year's shows. Though last year is highly underrated IMO.
y0n

Postby GratefulPhish » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:12 am

are they being webcasted?
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

PreviousNext

Return to General Phish Discussion