Postby Guelah » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:32 am

It was even funnier that they then played Tweeprise with no Tweezer. Hahaha
"2014 Great year...2015...Better year!" -Trip Anti-acid
Guelah
Teh_Southern Pa

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Type Your Phish Thoughts

Postby Guelah » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:07 pm

Oh...by the way, I fucking can't stand the LED screens.
"2014 Great year...2015...Better year!" -Trip Anti-acid
Guelah
Teh_Southern Pa

Postby gamecat » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:20 pm

not the best phish show last night.
here's hoping Sunday will be better
gamecat
The Shepherd

Postby ladyphish » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:36 am

gamecat wrote:not the best phish show last night.
here's hoping Sunday will be better

Agreed. Trey kept coming in wrong on just about every song. I wonder if there were issues with the monitors. I know when he started strumming the intro to BDTNL, he turned around and either mouthed or said "Backwards Down The Number Line" as if nobody could tell what song he was starting. Also, his voice sounded very strained/hoarse several times. I wonder if he was feeling under the weather.
I've been doing this a long time and have seen lots of changes most of which I can't fucking stand...but I still go anyway because I'm there for the MUSIC and so I tolerate all that other bullshit because I DO get the point. So there :-)
ladyphish
The No Good Pa

Postby KDF4LYPHE » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:44 am

I thought it was pretty legit! Def better than most of summer tour. Horrible jump gun Trey botch on dwd but it was tastefully played off. Also Trey had a huge brain fart on punch.

But it's never been about that. That Gin was awesome. Mid second set monster. Yem was no slouch. A little more zesty than recent yems I've heard with zero improv between tramps and Mike.
I LOOK TO THE STARS AND THE ANSWER IS CLEAR
I LOOK IN THE MIRROR AND SEE WHAT I FEAR
KDF4LYPHE
_________

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby gamecat » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:30 pm

What up Hank!?

The first set was pretty bad. Wilson, DWD, wingsuit, Space oddity all sounded like crap to me.
With some major flubs in DWD & oddity
The second set had some moments, but good Gin and YEM can't save that show.
BDTNL was shaky and Blaze On > Fuego = :yawn:

Better step it up tonight.
Tedeschi Trucks Band & MMJ killed it last night.
gamecat
The Shepherd

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:32 pm

I'm baffled at the negative on Friday's show. I thought it was fantastic. What the hell second set did you guys listen to?

Agreed on TTB and MMJ though...TTB's been sick for a few years now and I'd never seen MMJ before. Very impressed.

Sunday was a bit more standard than Friday to me but that second set just raged and raged.

And I'll admit that I liked the lack of bustouts if only for selfish reasons...save all that stuff for Dick's.
El Bastarde

Postby Brother » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:51 pm

My Phish thoughts are these...I love this band but I didn't really feel the need to chase them down this summer although Deer Creek was only 3 hours away. Regretting that as I type this, but not too much. I have been digging some shows old and new here and there. I've been getting turned on to some DOPE SICK stuff by this Instagram account called cowphunk and it's just the titties. The person posts short videos of really good Phish jams so I've been seeking out some of those shows. I do recommend!
Brother

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:37 pm

^Funny...I've had the opposite reaction lately. I had too many years where I didn't see Phish at all because they didn't come locally to Michigan and I couldn't afford or didn't want to travel for them. I think I want to see them at least once a year now so I find myself making more trips since they continue to avoid my state. Cleveland last year, Denver this year. It's a really good time to be following the band so I kinda feel I should make more of an effort.
El Bastarde

Postby Phinst » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:55 am

Interesting...Love this band!

http://www.jambase.com/article/trey-anastasio-says-phish-will-slow-try-different-things-next-two-years

And here is the full interview for those who don't subscribe to the WSJ(thanks.NET)

"It’s just a nice time with the four of us. I’m nervous about saying it too much, but there’s just a lot of love and respect among the four band members. We played all day today, rehearsing for the Halloween album, and had so much fun. It’s really something marvelous; the hair on the back of the neck is standing up talking about it." :clap: :clap:

Phish’s Trey Anastasio Details Personal Songwriting on ‘Big Boat,’ Band’s Future

By ALAN PAUL

Since reuniting in 2009 after a five-year breakup, rock band Phish has continued to delight fans with their sprawling live shows – and now they’re finding themselves in the recording studio more often, too.

Their new album “Big Boat,” out tomorrow, comes more than two years after their last album “Fuego.” Bob Ezrin, a rock veteran whose credits include Pink Floyd, Kiss and Peter Gabriel, produced both, urging the band to open up more in their songwriting. The result is some of Phish’s most intimate songs, notably “Miss You,” Anastasio’s meditation on his sister Kristy’s death.

Phish returns to the road next Friday, Oct. 14, for 13 dates that wrap up Halloween night in Las Vegas, where they will continue their holiday tradition of covering an album in its entirety. The band – guitarist Trey Anastasio, keyboardist Page McConnell, drummer Jon Fishman and bassist Mike Gordon – will also continue its tradition of celebrating New Year’s with four nights at New York City’s Madison Square Garden, which will bring the band’s total performances there to 39 since 1994.

In an edited interview, Anastasio reflects on the band’s past, present and future and his own experiences helping the Grateful Dead’s four surviving members play their final shows together during the summer of 2015.

Bob Ezrin came into “Fuego” as an outsider. Was it hard to let go and trust him?

No. He’s been around the block a few times. He recorded Lou Reed’s “Berlin” and Pink Floyd’s “The Wall”! He’s an opinionated guy and that’s what we wanted and needed. Since we came back [in 2009], the amount of conversation and time spent getting everyone’s opinion about every decision is immense. When we did Magna Ball, our last festival, the CCed email chain from the four of us to come up with that name went on for six weeks.

There are a million decisions to make as producer and we wanted someone who all four us would listen to. He said, “Do this song. Don’t do that one.” Everyone appreciated that and respected him.

You just let him choose the songs?

Yes. I wanted a voice of reason as a reality check. When we did [1998’s] “The Story of the Ghost,” we had a whiteboard on the wall and it included “Twist,” “Heavy Things” and “Farmhouse,” all of which we tracked. Then we started the democratic conversation and all of these songs that I knew were going to be huge Phish songs got cut; “Twist” broke my heart. But we didn’t have a producer in the room with an opinion. I love Bob so much that I just accepted everything – and he cut my favorite song!

Which was…?

“Mercury.” When I left that songwriting session with Tom [Marshall], I really liked it and I still do. But, hey, we can play it live!

Do you ever decide not to record a song because you’ve played the perfect version live?

No. I think that the process of examining a song in the studio often reveals little mysteries. Like Fish [Jon Fishman] was just killing the drums on “Breath and Burning” then we looked at it with a fine-toothed comb and Bob suggested pulling back in one part and it improved what had seemed perfect. That type of thing often happens. You put these songs through the ringer and then you take them out live and go to another level. But Fish has a history of very big songs that never make it on the record. I don’t think “Harry Hood” or “Mike’s Song” are on records. The more complex songs like “Petrichor” can’t really ever be born if you don’t record them in the studio.

You wrote “Petrichor” to play with a symphony. How did it became a Phish song?

It wasn’t written any differently than “The Curtain,” “Divided Sky” or “You Enjoy Myself.” It’s a form I’ve been using for a long time – 12 or 13 minutes with about three minutes per section. When I was 18, I studied Stravinsky’s “The Firebird” and the first movement of Ravel’s “Le Tombeau de Couperin” and have been working on these pieces for years.

I didn’t even write that for anyone to hear. When I worked on the Broadway play “Hands on a Hardbody,” I had to sit in the theater all day during walk-throughs and change music because of things like, “Can we cut two bars because he can’t walk across the stage in this timing?” It was a great experience but a very frustrating medium to work in and I wanted to write something that no one would tell me what to do on. I wrote “Petrichor” just to write something that I liked! I made a demo playing all the instruments and it went to an orchestra but I always heard Phish playing it in my head. I can’t wait to play that – and we will, in like a week!

“Blaze On” sounds like an iconic summer song. Do you know when you’ve nailed something like that?

I always feel that whatever I’m working on is great. For all I know, this is going to be the worst record we’ve ever made. We believe in it, but we believed in all of them. There have been just a few times when I knew I wrote something great; it feels like someone gave the song to you, like it was just there and you took it. And then you can’t wait to play it for other people.

How did Ezrin challenge you to get more personal in your songwriting?

After “Fuego,” he said, “I want you to think about something: Who are you? What breaks your heart? What do you love? “ Then he told all of us to learn 10 folk songs on the guitar, sing them until they’re memorized, then forget them and write our own songs.

I think more emotive songs like “Miss You” highlight your singing, which seems more nuanced and confident. Is that just putting miles on the tires or have you focused on it?

I actually started to like singing! I didn’t think of myself as a singer much early in this thing. I thought of myself as a composer and guitar player and felt that I could only let my guard down emotionally when I was playing guitar. I’m smiling all the time, like the happy guy… but I’m not and when I’m playing guitar I reveal what I’m really feeling: pain, confusion, sadness. I finally started feeling that way about singing, which can be a direct line to the heart.

You mentioned “Miss You” and I also felt that way on “Running Out of Time,” which is an older song written in the middle of a terrible night during one of the worst years – a very dark time. It definitely captured something evocative and kudos to Bob for finding that and making us do it.

This album came a lot faster since “Fuego” than that did from “Joy.” What do you attribute that to?

It’s just a nice time with the four of us. I’m nervous about saying it too much, but there’s just a lot of love and respect among the four band members. We played all day today, rehearsing for the Halloween album, and had so much fun. It’s really something marvelous; the hair on the back of the neck is standing up talking about it.

We’re laughing harder than we were when we were kids. We had fun hanging out and writing songs together for “Fuego,” so everyone was excited to get back to it. I don’t think another one will come out so fast. Our kids are at a certain age and there are things that we all want to do, so I think you’ll see us slow down a little in the next year or two. We are definitely not stopping – just shifting our focus. There might be some really creative changes in the touring schedule, which will be super cool and might not involve the same kind of travel. I think it’s going to be an interesting year.

Your touring business wouldn’t be impacted at all if you never recorded new music again. Why is it important to you?

I love writing songs, which I’ve been doing since third grade and I would be doing regardless. I get up every morning, drink coffee and write music.
But it’s true that the ultimate cherry on top is it’s such a joy to play live with Phish and we kind of make an album every night. I love making records but I secretly know that we’re actually building a repertoire; we really are a live band. I mean, come on!

Is there a lasting impact on you from the experience of playing with the Dead on the “Fare Thee Well” shows in summer of 2015?

Absolutely. It all felt so good and anybody who was there could attest to this. I spent a lot of time with the Dead community, including Jerry’s daughters, and I saw the precious gift of being involved in something like this – not just in the band, but in the extended community and right out to the audience. In Phish, I look out and recognize people I’ve been seeing for decades! All good things come to an end and being part of the celebration of such a glorious thing ending made me appreciate it all.

You had an interesting perspective, being both an insider – at the center of the performance – and an outsider.

I stood next to Phil [Lesh] on the side of the stage during Drums and Space and looked out at 80,000 people hugging their friends and sharing this moment and it was a reminder that it’s not about us. It’s so much bigger than the band. I had my arm around Phil’s shoulder and I said, “Look at this. This is the legacy of what you guys did.” It’s so magical that there is even a time on earth where these people came together that it’s insane to get all pissy about little details. I wish Pink Floyd had kept playing, don’t you? How lucky can you be? How many gods can you thank for sticking the four of you together to make Pink Floyd? The feuds and breakups are not inevitable, but they’re almost inevitable – and we’re not going to do it!

What music inspires you these days?

I am totally obsessed with Laura Mvula’s “Sing to the Moon.” It’s a great, awesome, incredible record. I’ve listened to it 100 times. Please include this in your story.
...Dip a ladle for a taste of her creation...& she knew that what she made...
would be the Finest in the Nation....

2017: Chicago x2: Dayton>Pittsburgh
Phinst

Postby hosemasterflex » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:31 pm

I am often taken by surprise at how inspiring Trey is.

Totally inspired by especially: "I get up every morning, drink coffee and write music."
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:24 pm

I am often taken by surprise at how inspiring Trey is.

I love when I see Trey feeling the same as I do. Like the part about him next to Phil and just watching the crowd. I have these moments too during shows when I'll turn around during a jam and look back at everyone just getting down and you get this nice peaceful moment of everyone being here for the same thing and just having a good time. It's part of why I love shows so much. They're one of the few places where everyone can go to a place and just lose it for a few hours and it's acceptable.
El Bastarde

Postby themomadans » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:34 pm

^^^ Excellent interview! Thanks for posting. :clap:
Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is the best
themomadans

Postby El Bastarde » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:28 pm

Dammit, I read phish.net and I SWORE it said the next show was Wednesday night...I didn't check the date so I didn't even look for the show last night...and of course Bobby shows up.

Found audio of the whole show here. Just listened to that Delilah myself.

There's also something super cool with Bobby singing a new Phish song...the way he sings Miss You kinda makes it sound a bit like a Dead tune. Sweet.
El Bastarde

Postby hosemasterflex » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:55 am

So I made this "Live Ones" series that some of you might remember, which is a collection of original Phish songs that aren't on studio albums. I'm thinkin' it's time for vol 8, and maybe even vol. 9.

Here are the contenders that I'm aware of. I'm looking for songs I've missed. There's gotta be one or two.
Will you please take a look?

[DISQUALIFIERS: cover songs, songs appearing on solo studio albums, songs appearing on Phish studio albums, songs appearing on previous Live Ones volumes(1.0 & 2.0)]

Dr. Gabel
Summer of '89
Steam
My Problem Right There
Show Of Life
Amidst The Peals of Laughter
You Never Know
Mercury
Can't Always Listen
Ass Handed
Shade
How Many People Are You
Heavy Rotation
Let's Go

That's fourteen songs ... one or two more solidifies this as two separate volumes. I'm more than mildly suspicious that How Many People Are You is destined for the next Mike record.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby El Bastarde » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:43 pm

I'm more than mildly suspicious that How Many People Are You is destined for the next Mike record.

I assumed it already was on a Mike album. Was surprised it wasn't. I also had no idea Heavy Rotation was on a Page album until I just looked it up. I also was about to suggest Snow but didn't know that Mike had stolen it for his own album.

Also, if I have to suggest something, I think you missed Susskind Hotel. Started as a Mike debut but I don't think it's on an album. Same with Burn That Bridge.

And, I know it's a cover but their version of Space Oddity is unique enough to be slapped on there.
El Bastarde

Postby hosemasterflex » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:32 am

I appreciate that! I didn't realize Heavy Rotation was from that Page album.

And how'd I miss Burn that Bridge? And Susskind Hotel? I think I thought the former was Hands on a Hard Body and that the latter was from a Leo Kottke project ... good work!

NO COVERS!

:wave:

So that might seal the deal and make this two sets.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby Harpua » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:47 pm

How does everyone feel about the use / overuse of the marimba lumina during jams? SoaMule and Mercury already have designated marimba lumina sections, and now it seems that anytime they take a jam deep someone (Trey) ends up on it.

Which 1960's Halloween sound effects album are they going to put original music to tomorrow?
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby themomadans » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:09 am

Harpua wrote:How does everyone feel about the use / overuse of the marimba lumina during jams? SoaMule and Mercury already have designated marimba lumina sections, and now it seems that anytime they take a jam deep someone (Trey) ends up on it.

My one live experience with this was when Trey replaced the YEM guitar solo for a marimba Jam and it was pretty anticlimactic.

They should keep messing with it though. I think during some ambient jam it could be real cool.
Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is the best
themomadans

Postby delayloop » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:57 pm

Harpua wrote:How does everyone feel about the use / overuse of the marimba lumina during jams? SoaMule and Mercury already have designated marimba lumina sections, and now it seems that anytime they take a jam deep someone (Trey) ends up on it.

Which 1960's Halloween sound effects album are they going to put original music to tomorrow?

Fish playing it is awesome. The band incorporating it into a four-person percussion jam is fun. Trey playing it during "I always wanted it this way" instead of adding to one of the sickest space grooves the band has in its arsenal now is just disappointing. How is Page supposed to lead when Trey's bangin' around back there?
Southern Phish
delayloop

Postby hosemasterflex » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:31 am

I think if were to ever remarry, it'd be to Spring Tour '92. :geek: :thumbup: :crazy: :thumbup: :ugeek:
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby Brother » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:39 pm

^ Can we practice polygamy?
Brother

Postby El Bastarde » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:50 pm

How does everyone feel about the use / overuse of the marimba lumina during jams?

Dig it. Variety is nice. I find it strange that we get close to three hours a night of standard Phish jams with Trey on guitar and folks complain when they dare to take five minutes out of a show to have fun with the Marimba for a bit. I like that they're trying new things to mix it up.

SoaMule and Mercury already have designated marimba lumina sections,

They do? Mule has been played like maybe once this year and I've never heard any Marimba in any of the Mercurys I've heard. I did like they trying it for one of the Suzy jams at Dick's...that's a song where the between-verse jams don't really expand that much so Trey fooling around on the Marimba while Page lays down the keys is a cool thing and fits the song.

Trey playing it during "I always wanted it this way" instead of adding to one of the sickest space grooves the band has in its arsenal now is just disappointing.

I can agree with that where it works better with certain songs than others. But, then again, Wanted it This Way is clearly Page's song in the live versions I've heard so far so I think it's Trey stepping back and letting Page work his thing. I think they're still working out the kinks on that tune live.
El Bastarde

Postby hosemasterflex » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:37 am

K I'm in full on make three more 'companion' phish songs albums ... my companion collection to the studio releases gets an addendum! Or three!

Live Ones Vol 8 ~ featuring '09 to '13 non-studio Phish songs like Steam, Show of Life, Susskind Hotel
Live Ones Vol 9 ~ featuring the Thrilling Chilling Brillo-ing Killing Pilling Daffodilling
Live Ones Vol 10 ~ features 2015 ('14?) -2016 stuff not on albums; Mercury, How Many People Are You an stuff

Will share links when complete, in that thread same series.
::busy::
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:35 pm

^Cool idea. I wish I could get those for more bands.
El Bastarde

PreviousNext

Return to General Phish Discussion