Type Your Phish Thoughts

Discuss Phish!

Re: Type Your Phish Thoughts

Postby GratefulPhish » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:37 pm

Yeah Jrad and it's not really close. My only complaint is with them is that sometimes they to take too many songs "out there". But that's not a big issue for me. I'd rather see John K's band than John M's band, fuck that douchebag.

Never seen or heard much of Phil's band but I've heard very mixed things. I'd still check em out over Deadco
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby y0n » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:55 pm

Harpua wrote:I have a few Phish / jam scene related questions:

Do you think Phish is currently the best jam band on the scene? If "no", who?

Are you a Grateful Dead fan? If you had to choose one, who would you rather see: Dead and Co., Phil Lesh and The Terrapin Family Band, or JRAD? Why?

Can I plug Stu Allen & Mars Hotel also? Rotating cast of musicians that always bring it.
y0n

Postby El Bastarde » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:20 pm

Well, everyone here will like say they're the best and the last five years of tours have kind of cemented that. If I had to choose second, I'd go with Umphrey's.

Are you a Grateful Dead fan? If you had to choose one, who would you rather see: Dead and Co., Phil Lesh and The Terrapin Family Band, or JRAD? Why?

No mention of the Dark Star Orchestra? For shame! Those folks are still plugging along. Anyway, JRAD gets a lot of hype and it's almost a cliche now for people to talk about how amazing they are. But I've seen some great stuff from the Terrapin Band and I'll see Dead & Co anytime they come around.

I'd rather see John K's band than John M's band, fuck that douchebag.

Awww, John's a good guy. https://www.facebook.com/Gearphoria/vid ... nref=story - He's about as respectful of the music as it gets. Him and Oteil are just locked in for most of those shows. He's practically made Sugaree his own at this point.
El Bastarde

Postby Harpua » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:53 pm

El Bastarde wrote:
No mention of the Dark Star Orchestra? For shame! Those folks are still plugging along.

Between Phil, Bobby and JRAD, I don't hear much about DSO anymore. (Also,I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that I have never even heard of Stu Allen & Mars Hotel.) As great as JRAD is, and how refreshing it is to hear GD tunes played at tempo, I'm still going with Dead and Co.
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby y0n » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:41 pm

Harpua wrote:
El Bastarde wrote:
No mention of the Dark Star Orchestra? For shame! Those folks are still plugging along.

Between Phil, Bobby and JRAD, I don't hear much about DSO anymore. (Also,I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that I have never even heard of Stu Allen & Mars Hotel.) As great as JRAD is, and how refreshing it is to hear GD tunes played at tempo, I'm still going with Dead and Co.

Stu Allen sticks around the Bay Area. He plays every Wednesday at a local Berkeley music venue (The Ashkenaz) and also occasionally plays at Terrapin Crossraods. Small, intimate shows with excellent music.
y0n

Postby SirChompsAlot » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:26 pm

El Bastarde wrote:I'd rather see John K's band than John M's band, fuck that douchebag.

Awww, John's a good guy. https://www.facebook.com/Gearphoria/vid ... nref=story - He's about as respectful of the music as it gets. Him and Oteil are just locked in for most of those shows. He's practically made Sugaree his own at this point.

A buddy of mine was telling me how excited he is to see Dead & Co at Alpine this summer because of how awesome they were at wrigley last summer. He specifically said that John Mayer and Oteil were great and added to the experience, and IIRC he said that he saw the Dead in the late 70s.

Just about everyone else that I talk to says that they suck now, but it just seems like a knee jerk reaction to hate John Mayer. He is a colossal douchebag, but he's one hell of a guitarist. I'm not a huge Dead fan, so it's hard for me to really compare the sounds or be offended by these dudes coming in and changing the sound in a shitty way. I am a big John Mayer fan though (my musical tastes lean more towards pop than jam), I just I wish he wasn't such a douche.
SirChompsAlot

Postby marley » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:57 pm

^ For me, the issue with Dead & Co is the price of tickets. For the amount they're charging, I want to see Jerry. I can only justify seeing them if tix are around $50, so I'd go but not pay more than that. Just my two cents.
#29. "Phishamatics pwns Reganomics" - Pei Yi
"wait a minute... what are we doing?" - Bob Weir
marley
West Side Wook

Postby SirChompsAlot » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:26 pm

marley wrote:^ For me, the issue with Dead & Co is the price of tickets. For the amount they're charging, I want to see Jerry. I can only justify seeing them if tix are around $50, so I'd go but not pay more than that. Just my two cents.

That's fair. Tickets are expensive these days period. Although it looks like lawn tickets for that show at Alpine are $45 + fees. I'm thinking about going to the Phish show in Raleigh, and lawn are also $45, but the only pavilion tickets still available are $225. WTF?!
SirChompsAlot

Postby El Bastarde » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:09 pm

He specifically said that John Mayer and Oteil were great and added to the experience, and IIRC he said that he saw the Dead in the late 70s.

Mayer clearly puts forth an effort to emulate that Jerry sound but adds his own touch to it so it's kind of cool. I was dubious about it when I saw them but he totally converted me. I'm not some big Dead expert either but you don't have to be...if it sounds good then it sounds good.

Just about everyone else that I talk to says that they suck now, but it just seems like a knee jerk reaction to hate John Mayer. He is a colossal douchebag, but he's one hell of a guitarist.

I'm still waiting for a good reason for why John Mayer is a douchebag other than being good-looking, playing music jamband fans don't like, and having a Hall of Fame roster of former girlfriends.

The gripes I hear on Dead & Co are more on the older Dead guys involved. There's just lots of young folks who can't stand older guys playing their music in these revivalist bands and I get a lot of those vibes from folks whining about all the Dead revivals with the old members. Bobby, Bill and Mickey's playing isn't quite what it was and Bobby's voice can be rough at times but I kind of assumed everyone knows that going in. It feels like they can't win sometimes.

That's fair. Tickets are expensive these days period. Although it looks like lawn tickets for that show at Alpine are $45 + fees.

They had a slew of indoor shows over the winter and those were definitely a bit pricey so I can understand that. But there's always lawn tickets for the outdoor shows and those don't seem that bad. And maybe it's me but the pavilion prices for a LOT of shows are insane...like often a jump of $150 or more like you describe.
El Bastarde

Postby SirChompsAlot » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:07 pm

I'll steal your italics quoting method...

I'm still waiting for a good reason for why John Mayer is a douchebag other than being good-looking, playing music jamband fans don't like, and having a Hall of Fame roster of former girlfriends.

Maybe douchebag is the wrong word, but he was super pretentious for a while. There was a DVD he released called "Where the Light Is" where he came across as just totally self absorbed and bullshit, faux philosophical. It was eye rollingly douche-y IMO. In this interview, he calls himself a "recovered ego addict", like he knew how much he sucked.

And maybe it's me but the pavilion prices for a LOT of shows are insane...like often a jump of $150 or more like you describe.

I was thinking about getting tickets for Smashing Pumpkins at the United Center, and the only ones available when I was looking were on the floor, within about the first 10-15 rows. They were at least $700 face value. GTFOOH.
SirChompsAlot

Postby GratefulPhish » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:24 pm

Uh yeah, Mayer has said/done some fucked up shit, and that's just what's been publicized. If you wanna look past that go for it, but don't tell me it's just because he's good looking and played pop music at one point. I think he's a tool, his singing voice is godawful and there is plenty of other good Dead bands to see right now than have to listen to his blues licks with psychedelia sprinkled in. Between him and Bob singing Jerry songs, it's doesn't interest me in the least. I'd like to see Billy K again but I don't know if it's worth it.
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Postby Harpua » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:58 pm

John Mayer is a hot button issue for many GD fans. I was skeptical, but his play won be over (though I never want to hear him sing Dire Wolf again). You can tell that he really respects The Grateful Dead's musical legacy.

I asked my initial questions because I hadn't been interested in the jam scene aside from Phish/Dead since roughly March 6th 2009. Then I went and saw Greensky, JRAD, and TTB and was blown away. So I was wondering if anyone had supplanted Phish as the best jam band. From what I saw, JRAD gives them a run for their money when it comes to high energy jamming, but then you have to reconcile the fact that they are not playing with their own repertoire, so I wanted to see where people fell on JRAD.

Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby SirChompsAlot » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:54 pm

his singing voice is godawful

True dat! I can see how that would really turn off a true Dead fan.

I asked my initial questions because I hadn't been interested in the jam scene aside from Phish/Dead since roughly March 6th 2009.

Like I said above, my tastes skew more towards pop than jam, so Phish is the only true jam band I'm into. I like the Dead's hits, but I've never really gotten into them. I love OAR, but they're just frat rock with some light jamming thrown in.
SirChompsAlot

Postby GratefulPhish » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:57 pm

As far as seeing a show, phish is still the best and most consistent in my book. But I really enjoy seeing Greensky too if they count. They kill it. Jrad is amazing too, but I wouldn't pick them over phish. I rarely listen to phish in my free time anymore, but I listened to an early LP release last weekend on a drive and was feeling it like I was 16 all over again, so it's still there and I take comfort in that.
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Postby willbreathes » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:29 pm

My major complaint for D&C is the way Bobby sings most of the songs. He cowboys up his classics, and Jerrys songs. Its awful at times. Mississippi Half-step being an example off the top of my head.
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby Harpua » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:22 pm

GratefulPhish wrote: But I really enjoy seeing Greensky too if they count. They kill it.

They are fantastic and you can tell that they are having fun. They ain't yo mama's bluegrass band, but they are still awfully niche.

willbreathes wrote:My major complaint for D&C is the way Bobby sings most of the songs. He cowboys up his classics, and Jerrys songs. Its awful at times. Mississippi Half-step being an example off the top of my head.

Jerry's voice had a sweetness to it that neither Bobby nor JM can reproduce. To me, there are certain lines like "Inspiration move me brightly" and "the seeds that were silent all burst into bloom and decay" that need that sweetness. Bobby's take on those make me cringe.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:13 pm

Maybe douchebag is the wrong word, but he was super pretentious for a while.

Considering that 50% of all musicians are douchebags, I'm not sure why he gets extra notice. I guess he was cocky when he was younger but when you're young, good-looking, and nailing any girl you want, I guess you get an ego. Kinda doesn't much apply now.

Uh yeah, Mayer has said/done some fucked up shit, and that's just what's been publicized.

So has Bob Weir and he was just as much a womanizer. Why isn't he called a douche?

his singing voice is godawful and there is plenty of other good Dead bands to see right now than have to listen to his blues licks with psychedelia sprinkled in.

Well, if any of those other good Dead bands would like to tour somewhere remotely close to me, then I would (looking at you, JRAD). Dead & Co has come to Michigan both years they've been out so I'll keep seeing them. Oh, and Dark Star Orchestra...they've come around too. They kinda get forgotten amongst the rest of the Dead acts but they're dang good...the last show I saw by them was certainly better than the Dead & Co ones I'd seen.

-his singing voice is godawful
-True dat! I can see how that would really turn off a true Dead fan.

This baffles me. We've had decades of Bobby and Phil (and, yes, Jerry too) butchering Dead song vocals with awful harmonies at times and then a guy who can actually sing comes along and he's not good enough either? Does anyone even check out some of the singing in those Dead 80's shows? Yikes.

Then I went and saw Greensky, JRAD, and TTB and was blown away. So I was wondering if anyone had supplanted Phish as the best jam band.

No one's supplanted them but Umphrey's, STS9, Greensky, Railroad Earth, The Werks, Aqueous, Spafford and a few others are fun "younger" bands that I've been into. And there's tons more popping up here and there. I still like SCI as well but they barely come around here. I like Bisco too but they haven't gone a real tour in over a decade.

Pigbacking off the Greensky thing, check out Billy Strings...dude's incredible on that acoustic.

I love OAR, but they're just frat rock with some light jamming thrown in.

Man, I remember OAR. My college buddies who knew I liked jambands would try to impress me by showing that they listened to OAR. They were like the "hot jamband" for like six months and then the newness wore off. Nice to see they're still around, though.
El Bastarde

Postby Harpua » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:30 pm

Here's my bracket BTW:

~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby Buster » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:59 pm

Harpua wrote:I have a few Phish / jam scene related questions:

Idk if Phish is the best, but they're my Fav :D lol

I recently saw JRAD after catching their live streams of the March Brooklyn Bowl shows. They blew me away, so I rushed on over to their tour dates and saw they were playing the next weekend not far from me. Perfect. Shows were fuckin' rocking. I read that there's usually a lot of talkers, but wasn't bad in my spot. I can tune that shit out decently anyway.

The show though, they played THROUGH setbreak. 3 hour set. I had the most fun at a concert I've had in a while. Their rhythm section can really get ya moving.

I saw Dead and Co. with the recent Mayer lineup and it just wasn't the same. The music is kinda slower paced and Bobby doesn't really sound that great. No hate on Bob, it's just that.. he's older now. lol Didn't care for Oteil with the Dead either.
Buster
The NorEaster

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:30 pm

Here's my bracket BTW:

Man, I'm STILL pissed at that Mike's v Weekapaug game...Mike's got screwed on the calls so bad on that one. And I'm still reeling that the YEM Powerhouse went down. Also, I've gotta say that DWD was so screwed by the committee with that seeding so I'm glad they made everyone take notice with their run.

Their rhythm section can really get ya moving.

Russo is such a sweet drummer...that dude is always busy. The up-tempo nature is definitely a refreshing take on Dead stuff. Not to mention Tom Hamilton's sweet hat.

I saw Dead and Co. with the recent Mayer lineup and it just wasn't the same. The music is kinda slower paced and Bobby doesn't really sound that great.

Definitely agree on the slower pace and it's probably so they don't kill Bill back there on drums. I don't mind it too much since you kinda know that Dead shows will be a little more relaxing but I can see some who are down on it.
El Bastarde

Postby Buster » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:18 pm

SirChompsAlot wrote:I'll steal your italics quoting method...

Oh no... please don't. It's very unique to El bastarde, but also very confusing sometimes, lol!

El Bastarde wrote:Tickets are expensive these days period.

Yes, agreed, Dead and Co. ticket prices are also keeping me away. It's easy to look past some of the things that bother you about a band, but the ticket prices can really seal the deal on seeing them live or not.

SirChompsAlot wrote:(my musical tastes lean more towards pop than jam)

Interesting. What got you into Phish?
Buster
The NorEaster

Postby GratefulPhish » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:18 pm

I'm just going to assume you aren't aware of the things Mayer has said outwardly in interviews about women if you are comparing him to Bob's free love obsession.
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Postby Buster » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:19 pm

I think we might need a Dead side project thread lol
Buster
The NorEaster

Postby Buster » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:46 pm

Harpua wrote:Here's my bracket BTW:

Where did you get this? I've recently seen people arguing on Twitter about the PH bracket.
Buster
The NorEaster

Postby Harpua » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:56 pm

Weekend Wook (@weekendwook) put the tournament together. The first round is still going down.

Also feel encouraged to follow me - @trim_often (SpocksBrain) - but be warned that I am 4 parts Star Trek for every 1 part Phish. :D
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

PreviousNext

Return to General Phish Discussion