Type Your Phish Thoughts

Discuss Phish!

Re: Type Your Phish Thoughts

Postby El Bastarde » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:05 pm

y0n wrote:
Harpua wrote:Mr. Completely <- I'm looking at you 7.15.03

Happy now? :)

Wow, we shall call him prophet. Pretty damn nice version for a song they haven't done in a decade.
El Bastarde

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Harpua » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:10 pm

El Bastarde wrote:
y0n wrote:
Harpua wrote:Mr. Completely <- I'm looking at you 7.15.03

Happy now? :)

Wow, we shall call him prophet. Pretty damn nice version for a song they haven't done in a decade.

I wouldn't object. :wave:

I would love to hear Phish play Host Across the Potomac. This is one of Trey's most underrated songs, and probably my favorite Trey tune not on his self titled album.

I have a feeling that I am going to go to at least one night of Dicks. We will see how the rest of the tour unfolds, but seriously... Five shows deep and no repeats. Five shows deep and we already have four 20+ minute jams, and more importantly, the jams have been great! Everything's Right and NMiNML didn't crack 20 minutes, but they were still damn impressive jams! (Wolfmans Brother, YPC>GA>YPC, Scents and Subtle Sounds, Ghost, Wombat all deserve nods.)
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby TanasRoot » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:44 pm

when they laid into Mr Completely it struck me this band may not repeat a song all summer. i know its crazy but beyond all the Trey tunes there are a ton of Mike and Page tunes that are going to get FTP'd yet so this could really happen :crazy:

this tour is unbelievable ... each show has really been a treat and a surprise and they keep getting better each night :clap:

"I'm not making this up..."
TanasRoot

Postby y0n » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:42 am

^ Wish I could be on tour! So much energy comes through in those pictures
y0n

Postby El Bastarde » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:45 pm

I would love to hear Phish play Host Across the Potomac.

Not my favorite but it has some major jam potential. I've always been partial to Tuesday, Come as Melody or Air Said to Me for Phish to pick up. Always kinda liked Quantegy but there's not much to it.

I have a feeling that I am going to go to at least one night of Dicks.

Just one!??

when they laid into Mr Completely it struck me this band may not repeat a song all summer.

I didn't realize they hadn't repeated one until after the last show and I saw it mentioned. This seems like it'd be quite a feat...I kind of assumed they'd have to do a few repeats at the Baker's Dozen but now I'm not so sure.

And, yeah, every show has plain brought it, at least in the 2nd set. But I just feel this as an extension of this 2015-2017 period which I feel has just been a great time to be a fan. Love how they sound these last few years.
El Bastarde

Postby Harpua » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:02 pm

El Bastarde wrote:

Just one!??

Just one unfortunately. I can't take that Friday off of work, and I have a mandatory cookout on Monday that I wouldn't be able to get to without taking the red-eye home, and I have no interest in doing that. So I would do a very quick swing through. Fly out Saturday in the AM fly back Sunday. This is pretty much what I did when I saw them at the Forum in 2014.
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby GratefulPhish » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:39 pm

There's was that article that said they couldn't play all the shows without a repeat statistically speaking, I didn't read it but that's just dumb. Of course they could. New covers, new songs, longer jams. They have had plenty of time to practice tunes that needed dusting off. It certainly seems like they're gonna go for it. Before the show in Pittsburgh I thought they would just re-use the songs they played in Chi, Dayton, and Pittsburgh. After the show I don't really think that.

On my drive back from Pittsburgh last night it occurred to me that they could set up a stage set like they do on NYE with a Gamehendge theme and play through the whole story over the 13 nights. I think it people walked into that tonight, they could easily sell the rest of the tickets. I mean you just know they're gonna do something special.
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Postby marley » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:01 pm

Harpua wrote:
El Bastarde wrote:

Just one!??

Just one unfortunately. I can't take that Friday off of work, and I have a mandatory cookout on Monday that I wouldn't be able to get to without taking the red-eye home, and I have no interest in doing that. So I would do a very quick swing through. Fly out Saturday in the AM fly back Sunday. This is pretty much what I did when I saw them at the Forum in 2014.

Hold up, so I'll get to see Tom on another one of his famous Phish one nighters? :wave:
#29. "Phishamatics pwns Reganomics" - Pei Yi
"wait a minute... what are we doing?" - Bob Weir
marley
West Side Wook

Postby Harpua » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:57 am

^ Yes sir. I'm about 90% sure I'm going to do that thing I do every three years or so that I am so famous for. If I go, which I strongly think I will, I will definitely hit you up. Are you on the field?
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby y0n » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:33 am

OKP raging Mike side...if tradition holds up...
y0n

Postby fone » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:39 pm

Boy did I forget how good Phish can be. The strawberry donut was quite tasty indeed.
Go down in your own way
And everyday is the right day
And as you rise above the fear lines in his frown
You look down
Hear the sound of the faces in the crowd
fone
The Sage

Postby ghost » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:21 pm

^ I am absolutely thrilled that the music is sounding good to you and that you're back around here to tell us about it. :thumbup:

What's The Use has always been within a set or show. It comes from somewhere. Using it as the tour and show opener in Chicago was just to say "we have been rehearsing and playing and jamming together leading up to this and we are going to continue through the end of The Baker's Dozen."
ghost
Human Being

Postby marley » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:08 pm

Harpua wrote:^ Yes sir. I'm about 90% sure I'm going to do that thing I do every three years or so that I am so famous for. If I go, which I strongly think I will, I will definitely hit you up. Are you on the field?

Stands!!!
marley
West Side Wook

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:51 pm

There's was that article that said they couldn't play all the shows without a repeat statistically speaking, I didn't read it but that's just dumb.

Well, yes, but that article likely didn't assuming they'd be dredging up former TAB songs and debuting new covers every night. I kinda knew they had enough songs to do it...it was just whether they will or not.

And I can't help but notice that there's no Gamehendge songs played so far...I'm really hoping it coming one of these sets. Just glad it didn't happen last night since I missed it. Hope to catch on it today.

Speaking of, was last night a "Velvet" theme in some way? Is that a donut flavor?

OKP raging Mike side...if tradition holds up...

Stands again for me...and Mike's side is what I'm hoping. I'm sure Pei Yi will have us split up to race down there for seats again. I respect the system.
El Bastarde

Postby TanasRoot » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:01 pm

El Bastarde wrote:
Speaking of, was last night a "Velvet" theme in some way? Is that a donut flavor?

yup it was a red velvet cake donut last night. phish didn't touch the "red" part at all but laid out velvet all over the place :)

btw tuesday was announced at about 11:45 last night (the others were early on day of) and its gonna be...

TanasRoot

Postby PardonMe Doug » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:15 pm

:clap:
PardonMe Doug

Postby marley » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:27 pm

El Bastarde wrote:OKP raging Mike side...if tradition holds up...

Stands again for me...and Mike's side is what I'm hoping. I'm sure Pei Yi will have us split up to race down there for seats again. I respect the system.

Yep, I'll run as fast as my old and in the way ass can handle!
marley
West Side Wook

Postby TanasRoot » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:37 pm

marley wrote:

omfg that band was everything :thumbup:

i'd done 5 of 6 dicks shows straight back and very top of the stands but for n3 last year we moved to mike side but at the top... we loved it and i think it'll be very easy to find you all there it sounds :wave:
TanasRoot

Postby marley » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:45 pm

TanasRoot wrote:
marley wrote:

omfg that band was everything :thumbup:

i'd done 5 of 6 dicks shows straight back and very top of the stands but for n3 last year we moved to mike side but at the top... we loved it and i think it'll be very easy to find you all there it sounds :wave:

:wave:
marley
West Side Wook

Postby Harpua » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:36 am

y0n wrote:
Harpua wrote:
Katiemay wrote: I'm sort of avoiding the really in depth speculation about what sorts of donuts are out there and the songs that could connect, I'd rather just enjoy it as it comes.

IMO, this is the way to go. No speculation, no expectations. When I was walking to the show last Sunday, a couple of kids asked what I was hoping to hear. They went on to list all the songs they wanted. This list included Harpua and a number of other rarities. I told them that I wanted to hear a good show. A cop-out for sure, but at this point that is really all I care about.

A wise Deadhead recently taught me a good mantra before a show. "My only expectation is that I expect to have a good time." I've been trying my darnedest to stick to this. It has treated me well so far.

I changed my perspective out of necessity. In 2013, I thoroughly stopped enjoying going to Phish shows. From the time of the reunion through summer 2013, I would geek out before shows. I would figure out what I was statistically most likely to see and I would create lists of what I wanted to see. Obviously, nothing was ever as good as my hypothetical set lists. It was Great Woods 6.22.2010, when I started getting headaches in the days before and of shows. I have suffered from migraines since I was very young (6- 10 years old - I can't be certain, but they started somewhere in this range), so headaches were nothing new to me. They are a part of my everyday life, so it took me years to realize there was a correlation.

I don't remember exactly when "ripcord" and "Saturday Night Special" entered into my vocabulary, but those terms set up shop in the front of my mind around 2013. The days before the three-night stand at Northerly in 2013, the headache started again. It was here that I put two and two together, but I didn't know why it was happening. I did what I normally did, by figuring out exactly what they were going to play all three nights at Northerly, and I had my unrealistic list of songs I wanted. Night one was a rain out, so my expectations were thwarted by mother nature herself. Night two was a three-set show, so obviously I would get several mega jams or Gamehendge including narration. Instead, I saw three sets of "ripcording" in what turned out to be the longest "Saturday Night Special" in Phishtory. Night Three was on track, but then the big jam came from a song that I found to be insufferable, and Second City tainted what should have been a great moment for me. I left that last show bitter. Someone on the board actually called me out on it - asking me why I continued to go to the shows since I clearly didn't like it anymore. He was right. It certainly wasn’t making me happy, and not only were the shows unsatisfactory (to me), but I was literally in physical pain.

Phish announced Northerly 2014, and I made the decision to only go to one night. I went into this show with actively low expectations. I got a headache, but the show was fine. It was "fine" enough that it actually exceeded my expectations, and kept me interested. I couch toured the Sunday show, and thought it was very good. When they announced fall dates, I was just interested enough to go to one show. So I went to The Forum, once again with very low expectations, but this time I didn't check any set lists prior to the show. Once again, I got a headache. I actually really liked this show, and I got to meet Sean and Levi. Overall it was a very positive experience. Not only did this show keep the flame alive, but it actually fed the flame.

I followed the tour from Tuscaloosa through Alpine in 2015, and had a headache for every show. I had no expectations for the entire run, and LOVED it. Phish helped their own cause on this tour though, because the absolutely slayed. There was only one set during the entire run that I have given a bad review: Kansas City – Set I.

6.22.2016 was the first time I saw them without a headache in six years to the day. I have no way to prove this, but I honestly think my pre-show headaches were due to anxiety. I cared too damn much about what I was going to see. When I stopped obsessing over each show, each jam, and each song the headaches went away. A bad set wasn't the end of the world, and it was much harder to see a bad set or a bad show when I didn't have preconceived ideas of what “good” should look like. In terms of overall quality, the shows I saw in 2016 paled in comparison to most of what I saw in 2015 and I doubt too many people would argue this opinion. That said, I enjoyed myself every bit as much in 2016 as I did in 2015.

I’ve been a fan for 15 years, and I have seen 26 shows. I can honestly say I enjoy Phish more right now than I ever have before.
Last edited by Harpua on Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:01 pm

Someone on the board actually called me out on it - asking me why I continued to go to the shows since I clearly didn't like it anymore. He was right

LOL. I think that was me. Didn't know about the migraine thing, though...that sounds horrible to have happen at shows. I'm not so sure about anxiety with a show leading to a headache but who can say for sure. I've found that I get nervous before shows and this could lead to various bathroom adventures but I concluded that it's mostly excitement and butterflies about the show more than anything...and once the lights would go down, all that would go away. So maybe it's just some form of that.

As for the band, I love what they've done these last two/three years and it's this recent stretch when I kinda vowed that I'd make sure to see these guys at least once a year no matter where they were...I just got sick of hoping they'd come locally then being bummed almost every year. I missed all of 2.0 and wasn't missing anymore.
El Bastarde

Postby PardonMe Doug » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:43 pm

^^Whoa dude...glad you worked through that. Especially in time for this raging tour.

Seriously though what the fuck happened to these guys? I haven't been this giddy about seeing Phish since 2009. This is the first time I've been ready to make irresponsible decisions to catch more shows since the 90's...we're leaving for NYC a day earlier than originally planned to catch next Wednesday's show too. Feel like I can't miss much more of this tour without losing my mind. The stakes are too high :lol: :wtf:

That's why I got so into this band in the first place, I couldn't get enough of it. I've loved the shows I've seen the last 8 years, but the only other time I've had the obsession this strong in 3.0 was after Magnaball and that was the end of the tour.

Also, we're expecting our first baby in January so may opportunities for such shenanigans will be dwindling soon methinks :think:
PardonMe Doug

Postby TanasRoot » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:36 pm

PardonMe Doug wrote:Seriously though what the fuck happened to these guys?:

i have been wondering this all summer... fare thee well->summer 2015 was huge... i think more than anything somehow that summer brought a lot of love and pham together... i know it did for me i finally found my friends and love i hadn't seen since columbus 99 :D and then just listen to the Dicks THANK YOU and its says it all

not sure how or why but 2016 was a little disconnected for phish and everyone. maybe it was the process of making the album? we already know Bob Ezrin called shots that not everyone in the band agreed with. and then the LEDs and i guess it was truly a year of transition for phish. and then the david bowie and prince deaths among others and i dunno that didn't hit me so hard but it clearly spoiled the year for many people. even Trey said at NYE you can't get rid of 2016 soon enough.

so here we have 2017. Trey wrote new songs and went on a bomb ass tour. Mike wrote new songs and has an album and tour on the way. Fish had his shoulder repaired and took some time off. inspired by the NYE stunt phish loses the LEDs and gets an incredible rig with probably countless configurations. and with all of it they go for it with what has to be the biggest stunt since Big Cypress in the Baker's Dozen. but it doesn't hang like an albatross, no instead they dream up a 5 show midwest run with no repeats and more debuts than you could ever guess at and are now smashing every flavor in the book for the BD. more than anything tho you can hear it in HOW THEY PLAY all these songs... Sweet Jane wasn't the timid and insufficiently rehearsed version of previous takes but instead absolutely rocking and go for it. that is emblematic... in all of this Phish is loving what they do and excitedly committed to it without fear.

WE ALWAYS WANTED IT THIS WAY!!!! :clap: :thumbup: :clap: :thumbup: :clap: :thumbup:
TanasRoot

Postby GratefulPhish » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:38 pm

Damn man, had no idea you were going through that kinda stuff for/during phish shows. The thing about seeing a Phish show, what I get out of it I mean, is that whole idea of not taking things too seriously. I mean that's their whole message IMO, so if I'm getting in knots over what they're gonna play then the joke's on me. And I probably did go through some times when I first started seeing them of taking it too seriously and being too critical, but it hasn't been that way in a long time. And I have no idea what you guys are talking about, this band's been killing it since 2012 IMO, although I will say I think the past couple albums haven't really translated live the way I'd like to see a Phish album do. But the best year of Phish in 3.0 to me was 4 years ago, and although I won't say they've consistently played to that level since (from the shows I've seen/heard) I think there have been plenty of times since that they have.
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Postby y0n » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:39 pm

^ The consistency of big time jams, lack of slowdowns in the "fourth quarter" of shows, and first set jams are was distinguish 2017 from other 3.0 years (2015 aside).

They've been dropping killer shows since Tahoe Tweezer and the subsequent Fall 2013 tour. The consistency of these last 8 shows is unprecedented in 3.0.
y0n

PreviousNext

Return to General Phish Discussion