Type Your Phish Thoughts

Discuss Phish!

Re: Type Your Phish Thoughts

Postby GratefulPhish » Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:49 am

I was eating lunch at McCallister's deli today in Starkville, MS after checking out Miss. State and I they were playing BDTNL..first time I've knowingly heard Phish in public...made me like Starkville even more
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby fone » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:39 pm

The crowd moaned, as they tend to do, when the deep organ intro notes to Cars, Trucks, Buses followed a pretty rocking Stash, at Keyspan Park on 6/18/04. And I have to admit that I lose my musical focus every time this song starts out, because I just don't connect to the basic rhythms and melody. I did that night in Brooklyn, and practically every time I've heard this show since then.

It actually wasn't until this morning that I believe this version from Keyspan might be my favorite. I'm still a little cool on the basic riffs, but damn did they really play together on this version. They had some genuine CTB heat going just before the break, that wasn't actually broken because Fishman kept his rhythm going. Definitely a nice job on this one.

And although this should really be in the song discussion thread, it wasn't talking about the song that was really important to me but the thought that I can't understand why more people don't appreciate how really incredible Phish improvisational performances are. These four guys, coming out of some of the most simplisic melodies around, take the music and dance in and around and in between one another like very few musicians ever have.

It astounds me that people can't hear or appreciate this about them, even if you hated every song they've written. I don't know whether most of the world is deficient, or we, the people who understand what I'me saying, aren't totally insane. And if this be insanity, take me to my rubber room, but just keep the music playing.
Go down in your own way
And everyday is the right day
And as you rise above the fear lines in his frown
You look down
Hear the sound of the faces in the crowd
fone
The Sage

Postby S. Hill 88 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:49 am

someone told me phish sucks today. the same kid also offered me tickets to rob zombie on dec. 2

:think: :problem: :eh: :?
PHISH2010BRAH: 6/17 Hartford > 6/18 Hartford > 6/19 SPAC > 6/20 SPAC, 6/22 Great Woods

"The strength of their return, on a strictly musical level, is criminally understated."
-HoseMasterFlex
S. Hill 88

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Fee » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:51 am

Bump for great thread idea!

You know the one song that was never played at a festy that has been played more times than any? Give up? Stash. Okay so they played at Coventry, but that's pretty amazing that Stash wasn't played at The Clifford Ball, The Great Went, Lemonwheel, Oswego,Cypress, Deer Creek 00 :lol: , IT.

I have a pretty good hunch that Stash will be played at 8.
Fee
20th Century Child

Postby ErrandWolfe » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:27 am

I can only imagine next week at this exact time.... :twisted:

:crazy: :o :shock: :crazy:
Here's a place of elegance...
ErrandWolfe

Postby willbreathes » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:28 pm

US Bank Arena is the only indoor venue I have ever seen Phish.

Something is seriously wrong with that statement.
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby goochy » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:47 pm

willbreathes wrote:US Bank Arena is the only indoor venue I have ever seen Phish.

Something is seriously wrong with that statement.

Hah! I've never seen Phish indoors and US Bank Arena will be the first time (both nights)! I've only seen them at outdoor amphitheater shows!
goochy

Postby Desmond The Family Berzerker » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:20 pm

Listening to Joy this morning while trolling round on the computer I recall an interview I read with Stewart Copeland.

Paraphrasing here, but he basically said that one of the things that really started to weigh on he and
Andy Summers was that when they got into the studio all the music was basically written for them. Not just the songs in a raw form, but the actual rhythmic structures, melodies, harmies , everything down to the note. They were basically told to play what had already been mapped out.

I wonder was this something the band had to address right around Billy Breathes, and if so did it aid in changing the way they looked at songwriting? Did they decide to simplify the process in order to make the songwriting process more democratic and more of a group excercise?

Were the other three growing weary of coming into the studio to find everything already there waiting for them?
Summer 2010- Hartford 6/17-18, SPAC 6/19-20, Great Woods 6/21, Camden 6/24-25, Jones Beach 8/17-18
Desmond The Family Berzerker

Postby ghost_2000 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:54 pm

Cincy will be my first fall tour show in 9 years, and my first back-to-back indoor shows!

Damn, less than 4 weeks away!!!
My room is round when I lay down, when I wake up it's square.
ghost_2000
The Apparition

Postby erockus » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:39 am

I always ask myself - why am I so into this?. A common answer is that people get "it" when they go to shows. Once people get "it", they want to experience more of "it". “What is it?” The answer is energy. That is the key. We are all united with a communal energy; we are all linked and move throughout this fantastic organism together. The day-to-day energy transference that takes place at home (the loving, comfortable energy), in the workplace (the camaraderie energy), and in the general public (indifferent energy) are all common energies we experience every day. We glide throughout the world in and out of energy conversion. Positive influences... like great friends, praise from a mentor, or a kiss from a loved one are scattered throughout an average day giving an individual a small window of time to engage in honest and sincere daily energy. It's different at a show. There is always a positive attitude going on because it puts one in the middle of a good energy milkshake. How often does one stand in a crowd of complete strangers and candidly feel that every person around you is genuinely happy? With child’s anticipation, the day that the surrounds the show climaxes with an explosion of passionate force building onto itself with music mirroring and creating and manipulating that same energy at the same time. Every soul in attendance is beaming with positive empathy and is consciously and sub consciously participating and dancing in an energy gumbo. It’s primitive, immature and addicting. Going to these shows is a form of gluttony that hoards energy, life fuel.
Another reason I will travel whenever I can, to wherever I can, to see phish is because of the chance to see the element of time twisted in different fashions. The past hippie generation from the 1960’s are a stylistic and philosophic influence apparent throughout the day. There are threads of time that seem to intersect. Common personality traits are abundant. On any given show day you are likely to pass someone who was a reflection of you from the past. You may also be the “square” that the past you would make fun of. The stages of evolution are laid out before one’s eyes. These are rare and brilliant displays of the communal human condition thriving positively. I am so glad the boys are back.
... all of 'em Zen Lunatics who go about writing poems that happen to appear in their heads for no reason and also by being kind and also by strange unexpected acts ...
Jack Kerouac, The Dharma Bums, 1958

http://readicculus.tumblr.com/
erockus

Postby GratefulPhish » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:54 am

^ can't wait to experience this for the first time on 11/20..and I think I'll get it to the full effect since I will be solo on Friday
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Postby themomadans » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:20 am

^ Oh. It's fantastic. :)

"You'll love it. It's a way of life."
Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is the best
themomadans

Postby Fee » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:11 am

You know how famously the Grateful Dead always say that they never really performed their best on the biggest stages (ie The Pyramids). I'm not trying to compare the two, but I was thinking about this. Phish has always performed amazingly at some of their biggest stages. It really is remarkable. The first appearance at Red Rocks (8/20/93) is a great show. Their first Halloween show (10/31/94) is phenomenal. The first festy they put on (The Clifford Ball). Countless New Year's runs have lived up to the hype. Big Cypress. I could go on and on. When the stage is big Phish always seems to come through.
Fee
20th Century Child

Postby willbreathes » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:22 pm

'94 wasn't the first Halloween show, and I would say Coventry is one of the "biggest" shows they put on.

So.... :silent:
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby ghost_2000 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:04 pm

I think he was implying it was their Halloween show of traditionally covering another band's album.

I would say that set-wise, the Halloween shows (first and third sets) are typically average (when compared to other "big" shows, like NYE or festivals).
ghost_2000
The Apparition

Postby Fee » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:04 pm

Damn pretty negative huh? I think it's a pretty valid statement. Obviously that's what I meant when saying the first Halloween show. How many people fluff up that Reba from 10/31/94? I'd say the 1st and 3rd sets definitely bring the heat. I can see how some would disagree though I suppose.

Coventry? Really? That's your argument against my thought?
Fee
20th Century Child

Postby willbreathes » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:38 pm

Not an argument.
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby hosemasterflex » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:53 pm

Yes it is.

::starts argument::

:crazy: :P
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:33 pm

Eh...I always seem to recall folks saying that the early shows in a NYE run are better than the actual NYE show themselves. You know...like folks saying 12/29/98 was better than 12/31/98...that kind of thing. Plus the West was definitely better than the Ball. So I guess it's all subjective.

Stevo
El Bastarde

Postby Atoms » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:38 pm

91-92 = Training with Yoda on Dagobah

93 = Full Jedi powers recognized

94-96 = World Domination

97-00 = Exploring Space

02-04 = The Fall of the Empire

09 = The Jedi Returns
we are all being pursed. some have been found, some are still running. some will keep running until they get to the end of the road, straight off the proverbial cliff. you don't have to turn back, you just have to turn around.
Atoms
The Awoken

Postby ghost_2000 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:57 pm

I love that "Reba" from Halloween 94. Top-10 version for me, maybe even top-5. I like that 3rd set, too.

I'm just saying that while they playing is good, it's not mind-blowing or anything. Some of the festival and NYE sets blow the 1st and 3rd Halloween sets out of the water.

Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong...
ghost_2000
The Apparition

Postby Fee » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:00 pm

Eh I suppose argument was the wrong word. Disagreement with my thought?
Fee
20th Century Child

Postby Fee » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:02 pm

ghost_2000 wrote:I love that "Reba" from Halloween 94. Top-10 version for me, maybe even top-5. I like that 3rd set, too.

I'm just saying that while they playing is good, it's not mind-blowing or anything. Some of the festival and NYE sets blow the 1st and 3rd Halloween sets out of the water.

Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong...

No I certainly don't think your wrong. As I've said before part of the reason why I love this band so much is the diverse opinions. For instance one person thinks that 7/12/96 is a unique great show while others think it was one of the worst shows ever performed.
Fee
20th Century Child

Postby marco » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:04 pm

^^Haha, Nice Adam :)

NYE in Miami, assuming it happens, is seeming a little less economically feasible than last week. Probably because of some money loaned to One's mother this past weekend. That being said, One still has some numbers to figure out, and is owed quite a bit of money. We shall see what happens.

If by any chance Miami doesn't work out, you can bet One shall be on the floor at Syracuse. ;)
Reinvented, redefined; rearranged, but not refined
marco
One

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Katiemay » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:19 am

^If you have the opportunity, you should be there no matter what Marco! (at the Syracuse show I mean)
Katiemay

PreviousNext

Return to General Phish Discussion