How did you get into Phish?

Discuss Phish!

Re: How did you get into Phish?

Postby fone » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:23 pm

Fitz wrote:My first recollection of knowing who Phish/Trey were was in 2006 when I was 13. I had heavy interest in extended soloing and improv. Phish always seemed very interesting but I just didn't make the effort to get into them. I even remember previewing some songs on iTunes. About a year later, I became a Zappa nut. Then another year later I was listening to a lot of Claypool/Primus. Then, I found out about Oysterhead. I had already heard of them because they were a band that I thought was really weird. My friend's dad played TGPO in the car every once in a while. I saw their lineup... Claypool, Copeland, and TREY? Damn. This must be good! I listened and loved it.
Then, a few months later, I realized I GOTTA CHECK PHISH OUT! I rented A Live One and LP11 from my library in April 2008. I remember I liked A Live One. I knew Bouncing had that "hit" feel to it (I was already into the Dead, you know what I mean), but I still liked it anyway. Stash was then the standout for me. I love the "Woah-oh" part. Gumbo I loved too. The horns had me so confused, "Are Phish playing the horns?"

Now, I can easily say the funk of LP11 got me hooked on Phish. Here were these four white guys play some serious funk shit! I'll always love that Tweezer. Reba really cought my ear as well. Then I checked out HCA about one month later, bought Billy Breathes, Walnut Creek, etc., etc.

PS - this thread never gets old.

Fitz, have you ever gotten to see Project Object? They are (or were) a local Zappa cover band that Ike Willis and some of the original band members sometimes tour with. They were based in Red Bank for a while and I got to see them a couple of times at some small bars in and around Long Branch. They are really good if you are a Zappa purist.

Check em out. They're playing a tour currently, but the closest they come to NJ is at BBKings in NYC.
http://projectobject.com
Go down in your own way
And everyday is the right day
And as you rise above the fear lines in his frown
You look down
Hear the sound of the faces in the crowd
fone
The Sage

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby imthedude » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:31 pm

we had a party at our house about 5 years ago. late into the evening, a friend and i sat down to play some tunes for the folks that were still there. he was playing his mandolin, and i was playing some bongos. we did a few songs of random stuff, then he started into bathtub gin. i was intrigued by the lyrics. he made me some discs of a few shows, and i was forever hooked. i got to see my first shows this summer - red rocks 1 & 4. man what a time.
imthedude

Postby themomadans » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:55 pm

fone wrote:
Fitz wrote:My first recollection of knowing who Phish/Trey were was in 2006 when I was 13. I had heavy interest in extended soloing and improv. Phish always seemed very interesting but I just didn't make the effort to get into them. I even remember previewing some songs on iTunes. About a year later, I became a Zappa nut. Then another year later I was listening to a lot of Claypool/Primus. Then, I found out about Oysterhead. I had already heard of them because they were a band that I thought was really weird. My friend's dad played TGPO in the car every once in a while. I saw their lineup... Claypool, Copeland, and TREY? Damn. This must be good! I listened and loved it.
Then, a few months later, I realized I GOTTA CHECK PHISH OUT! I rented A Live One and LP11 from my library in April 2008. I remember I liked A Live One. I knew Bouncing had that "hit" feel to it (I was already into the Dead, you know what I mean), but I still liked it anyway. Stash was then the standout for me. I love the "Woah-oh" part. Gumbo I loved too. The horns had me so confused, "Are Phish playing the horns?"

Now, I can easily say the funk of LP11 got me hooked on Phish. Here were these four white guys play some serious funk shit! I'll always love that Tweezer. Reba really cought my ear as well. Then I checked out HCA about one month later, bought Billy Breathes, Walnut Creek, etc., etc.

PS - this thread never gets old.

Fitz, have you ever gotten to see Project Object? They are (or were) a local Zappa cover band that Ike Willis and some of the original band members sometimes tour with. They were based in Red Bank for a while and I got to see them a couple of times at some small bars in and around Long Branch. They are really good if you are a Zappa purist.

Check em out. They're playing a tour currently, but the closest they come to NJ is at BBKings in NYC.
http://projectobject.com

Yes, I actually did see them for the first time on 7/1/09 in Hoboken with Don Preston and Ike. It was my first, long awaited live-Zappa experience. It was awesome! Killer show, totally. Brought my friend how's a casual FZ fan and he really liked it too. Got right up front, talked to the band, etc. It was great, they said they might come back next year so I'm definately keeping my eyes open.
Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is the best
themomadans

Postby charliedigital » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:08 pm

The year was 1997, the album was Junta and my buddies and I were smoking alot of schwag in basements. Some friends and I ended up going to see them in the summer at our local amphitheater, the World Music Theater, and seeing what is considered the worst show ever, but I don't see it that way though. I was a 15 year old kid on acid, and I was completely blown away. So even when they have an off night, they still rock hard.
One for sport, and one for blood.
charliedigital

Postby shay » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:23 pm

Wandered into Nectars in early 1987.
shay

Postby wookiewicz » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:15 pm

shay wrote:Wandered into Nectars in early 1987.

Good call.
Summer 2012 : DCx2>Alpinex2
wookiewicz

Postby phishpile » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:34 pm

I got into phish about two years ago. I was a grateful dead fan and somehow got a phish bootleg and instantly loved it. Since they got back together I've seen them 3 times. :thumbup: Unimpressive to you older heads, I know. but they were three of the best times of my life.
phishpile

Postby fundirector23 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:46 am

goochy wrote:
fundirector23 wrote:Freshman year (1995 ish?) I would take my sister's CD's all the time-- you know her STP, Nirvana, Spin Doctors, Pearl Jam, etc. I was already way into "classic rock" ala Q106.5 in the Quad Cities (Dire Straits, Boston, LZ, Talking Heads, Cars, etc.). She had A Live One, popped it in on one of those nights in my parents basement (literally) and the only song I really liked at first was Chalkdust...bought Lawn Boy next day it must've been...loved the whole thing...went back to A Live One...loved the whole thing!! 90-100 shows later, here I am. :lol:

Whoah... I live in the QC (Davenport). It's always weird to see someone mention where I live on the Internet. ;)

QC Ballz Deep!
It's a dog eat dog world and I am wearing bacon underpants.
fundirector23

Postby themomadans » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:47 am

AsianGirlPYK wrote:When I'm at other big name concerts (Prince, The Police, MJ, etc) I can't help but compare their lights, the crowd, and just the overall jams / music to Phish. And think to myself .. 'I wish I was seeing Phish right now'

And that is how I know I'm hooked!
Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is the best
themomadans

Postby scalperssuck » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:52 am

17 at the civic arena in Pittsburgh 95 the rest is history
highway Bill's on a rotary still and he can"t even fill the pain 5/27-29,6/4-5,6/11-12,6/19,7/1-3
scalperssuck

Postby erockus » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:44 pm

Great thread.

92' I was a jr. in high school. I liked Jimmy Buffett a ton (I was in Ft. Lauderdale).. A buddy of mine said he heard a band called phish do a Jimmy Buffett song on an album called "Jewnta"....the song ended up being "Sanity" and there was SO many things wrong with his recommendation its laughable, but that led me in a curious direction.... Freshman year in college my roommate, from Buffalo, had about 100 MAXELL XL2 tapes of... Phish.... his cousin was an a taper early on so we had really nice low gen tapes of some pretty epic stuff. I finally got to go to a show in Boone http://phish.net/setlists/?d=1994-10-26 funny thing, I remember people being pissed about all the newbies showing up..and this was even before Jerry died and the nonsense of 97-98... the rest is history - 82 shows down, sweet sweet 1995>Clifford Ball>summer 97>The Great Went>MSG NYE>Summer 98>4th of July '99> summer 2000 (sigh)>20th ann run>Coventry(sigh x2>)Hampton>Summer 09 >Cobo (bitches!)> ????

I am glad they are back, they were truly the best thing about 2009.
Last edited by erockus on Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
... all of 'em Zen Lunatics who go about writing poems that happen to appear in their heads for no reason and also by being kind and also by strange unexpected acts ...
Jack Kerouac, The Dharma Bums, 1958

http://readicculus.tumblr.com/
erockus

Postby ghost_2000 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:49 pm

Fall of 1999, one of my close friend's older brother was into them. This was my senior year in hike school. He played Hoist and ALO one whenever we'd hang out (and play Super Tennis on SNES!). Finally I caved and got Hoist and ALO. Farmhouse the next spring, and HCA and BB that summer.

I definitely remember listening to Hoist driving back from a college visit in June of 2000 and thinking "This Wolfman's song is great!" Then I attended 7-11-00 next month.

I like how a lot of people's Phish stories start with "a friend of a friend..." or "my buddy's older brother...".
My room is round when I lay down, when I wake up it's square.
ghost_2000
The Apparition

Postby S. Hill 88 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:27 pm

Sometime in 2005, I had just gotten my mind completely shattered when I discovered Pink Floyd. It was everything I was looking for in music, but what really got me was the length and the extended jams I had on my live Floyd show. I became obsessed with songs that broke original structure, and took turns for the unknown. I was working at a sub shop and a friend of mine who had graduated 2 years before (and whom I had known since I was 12 or 13) got me into jam bands, moe. in particular at the time. After I too got pretty deep into moe., I had became intrigued as to why Phish didn't tour anymore. I did some studying. Then I tried downloading some songs off of Kazaa or Limewire (idk whatever p2p downloading software I was using at the time). The following songs came up: "Farmhouse", "Gumbo", "Heavy Things", and "Gin 'n Juice". After listening to all four I could easily tell that it was NOT Phish doing Gin n Juice lol, and I always get a chuckle whenever I hear someone mention it (actually at Fenway this year, my usher asked me if they were going to play Gin n Juice tonight). I was semi-impressed by these trio of songs, most notably Gumbo. The next day at work I had asked my friend to give me a list of songs by Phish I should download. The first song on the list was "David Bowie", the next song was "You Enjoy Myself". I went home and (not knowing at the time) got the Bowie form Junta and the YEM from ALO, and the rest is complete history. I was hooked, I went out and got the Brooklyn and IT DVD's the next day, and it just snowballed. I remember crying during the credits of IT when Trey plays the Lizards solo, because I couldn't fathom why these guys didn't play anymore (I mean I got it, but it just didn't sit well in my soul). Then on October 1, 2008 it all happened, and I immersed myself into Phish. I admittedly was intimidated by how knowledgeable people were about this band, and I didn't want to come across as a "n00b" so I spent the next (well shit I still haven't really weened myself yet) months gobbling up every bit of Phish I could. I remember the day I discovered Gamehenge and how much it resonated with me because I simply loved concept pieces, and I simply loved The Wall. I couldn't believe this kid wrote this shit when he was 24! Then the Hampton shows happened, and listening to those SBDs the next morning was an overwhelming "too good to be true" moment, seeing that they were playing Great Woods (where I had seen the majority of concerts in my life) was another, then they announced Fenway, and I didn't even think that I was real anymore. 7 shows and 15 months later, I am so grateful to this day that my buddy Collins wrote "David Bowie, You Enjoy Myself" on that list nearly 5 years ago.
PHISH2010BRAH: 6/17 Hartford > 6/18 Hartford > 6/19 SPAC > 6/20 SPAC, 6/22 Great Woods

"The strength of their return, on a strictly musical level, is criminally understated."
-HoseMasterFlex
S. Hill 88

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby bonephish » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:43 pm

Have a cousin who lives in Vermont about 40 minutes from Burlington where they played most of their early shows. She saw them a few times there & when I went up to visit her we went to a loooooong show & I was hooked. Wish I would have went to see some more of their early shows but I didn't head up snowboarding there much until the mid 90's.
bonephish

Postby axemannj » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:16 pm

My roommates took me to my first two shows to snap me out of being so sullen at those times. The first show was very local so even though life was less than rosy, I figured that at least I knew the bartenders and liked the place and my roomate played a YEM from an Amy's Farm (Ranch?) cassette he had from UVM and I said "Sure, I can listen to that" and went. Never heard a band in a bar since to top it. Setlist was off the charts great and a DESTINY no less. Also, best Sloth I've ever heard, after bailing on Lizards cuz Trey forgot the words. Different crowd then. It was a Vermont show so there were lots of Burlington fans and not a wook in the place. Completely wookless.

Next show was the first Sugarbush. Had a broken arm and my other roomate was working the beer concession so he had a freeb to spare and selected ME for cheering up. That was my first exposure to "the scene". Hit the lot and from then til we left we wanted for nothing. We had beer, so that might have helped but, it was kind of like, if you happened to be strolling past any random Vanagon, somebody would inevitably pop their head out and offer you food or a quick buzz bump. Frisbees were all around then. Not so much anymore... It was far less wookless too. But not true wooks. Just a lot of nappy dreds on the Trustafarians. Met a bunch of friends in the crowd that I never expected to see there and had the greatest time I'd had to that point, even with a broken arm. After that one I was pretty much sold and could no longer help myself about 'em.
axemannj

Postby goldenroad » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:09 pm

I was just into kind of related music (The Dead, Zappa, Allmans, Ween, etc.), so I guess it was a natural progression for me to start listening to Phish. I didn't have any friends that liked, or had even heard of phish, so I sought out information on the internet and I gotta say, it was probably the OKP that really hooked me on phish. I just came here to find out what this band was all about and I definitely got more than I bargained for.

There were some other small things like:

Dead.net annoucning that this band "phish" was playing their final concert in Vermont.
My favorite local record store had almost every livephish release.
I heard a Phil and Friends show (which turned out to be the Phil and Phriends show), and I couldn't get the song Prince Caspian out of my head.
And then I saw that they covered Roses are Free, and that's what convinced me to finally buy one of those Livephish releases (8/13/96)....though I couldn't find one with Roses on it.

But yeah...it wasn't friends or siblings or schoolmates for me...it was all about the internet.
goldenroad
Undercover Wook

Postby GratefulPhish » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:27 pm

Chalkdust Torture has been on my lacrosse team's pre-game CD every year, and I once asked my coach to take it off(before I was into Phish), for some reason I didn't like it- this really shows the way my listening has evolved because now its one of my favorite Phish tunes and think its perfect for a warm-up playlist..

I must give a lot of credit to the OKP..when I first joined I really wasn't even into Phish, I came here searching for a good Dead message board, but after hanging out a while I realized wow there must be something special about this band if these guys are this crazy about em..

Since joining the Pa and I've downloaded some Phish(at first, Itunes essentials and the Roo show after a bunch of hype in my area over Phish), learned to understand that the Individual Song Discussion isn't about the significance of the lyrics like I thought it would be but instead about finding the best versions of each song..I have also been to my first real show/concert ever- Phish 11/20-11/21...if you told me last year I would drive from here to Ohio solo to see Phish I would've laughed..
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Postby goochy » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:50 pm

GratefulPhish wrote:.I have also been to my first real show/concert ever- Phish 11/20-11/21...if you told me last year I would drive from here to Ohio solo to see Phish I would've laughed..

Were those shows awesome or what? ;)
goochy

Postby colonelforbin » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:25 am

listening to Rift in my brother's car when i was like 13, then went to greensboro 3-1-03 in ninth grade. thats when i was hooked.
Atlanta, Raleigh, magna?, dicks
colonelforbin

Postby spaceantelope » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:54 am

Around 1990 or so my freshman year in high school. I was heavily into the grateful dead and decided to try them out. I didnt really get into them at first, but by 1992 or so I was hooked
spaceantelope

Postby groove1234 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:27 am

i got into phish to impress a guy...

haven't though about him in years
groove1234

Postby nanook » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:19 pm

i think the first time i saw the name phish was in august 95. i was in high school and had just recently gotten into the dead. i was in myrtle beach sc on vacation with my family when jerry died. there was a vigil on the beach and i saw someone wearing a phish shirt. then i got the october 95 guitar school magazine. trey was on the cover with the caption "new gods of hippie rock". there was an interview with him and one with mike. they talked about the jamming exercises and i thought that was pretty cool. i went to the record store and picked the tape with the oddest sounding song names to me which was a picture of nectar. after that i got everything they had released up to that point. about a year later i saw my first show in charlotte nc in the fall of 96. after that i went to see them as much as possible. i started trading tapes through ads in relix and duprees diamond news and got a copy of the pharmers almanac.

i really liked the dead and still do, but phish was something i could go see and experience the real thing firsthand.

man, i'm glad they're back!
nanook
Universal Mind

Postby easo91 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:26 am

About 4 years ago now, my cousin(one who I very rarely talk to) was just like "If you like Dave Matthews, you should check out Phish." (It's nuts that this one commented sparked it all) I decided at home later to download ONE song at randomish. It was the Antelope from NYE '94, at the intro I was like "psh what's so gread about this," then boom they dived into the hard part, it was hectic, it was insane and I loved every second of it, that still is probably my all time favorite antelope.
After that It was ALO and Billy Breathes which cemented everything, I was hook. When I look back on it, I can't believe I discovered them when I did, their music helped me through a really rough period in my life, I never thought I'd say that music changed my life, but in a way Phish did, and in an incredibly positive way.
easo91

Postby maddhatter » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:48 pm

Was looking for David Bowie online...found a different kind of David Bowie. My mind was blown from then on.
maddhatter

Postby treesmcgee » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 pm

Not too huge of a story here... (about 8 years ago) my friend had a copy of a version of PYITE from a random show and I loved it, but it wasn't until I heard Reba that I really wanted to explore what they had to offer. I got every single piece of Phish I could and dove in deep.. and never looked back. Thanks to my best friend Toby.
treesmcgee

PreviousNext

Return to General Phish Discussion