Today in Phishtory!

Discuss Phish!

Re: Today in Phishtory!

Postby phishinsky » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:27 pm

Fee wrote:Today in Phishtory no longer sticky material?

I am not sure why it is not, MOD's?
"Art isn’t about perfection. It is what is created when trying to reach perfection that matters!"
phishinsky
Northern Jedi

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby phishinsky » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:53 pm

Tuesday, 08/24/1993 Commodore Ballroom, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Soundcheck: Jam, Leprechaun, The Wedge, Funky Bitch (with "Beds are Burning" lyrics)

Set 1: Chalk Dust Torture > All Things Reconsidered, Bouncing Around the Room > It's Ice[1], Nellie Kane, Split Open and Melt, The Horse[2] > Silent in the Morning, Uncle Pen, Maze, Golgi Apparatus

Set 2: Llama, Horn > Ya Mar[3], Mike's Song -> Ginseng Sullivan > Weekapaug Groove > Wilson > Rift, Suzy Greenberg[4], Hold Your Head Up > Cracklin' Rosie > Hold Your Head Up, Run Like an Antelope

Encore: Halley's Comet > Poor Heart, Sweet Adeline

[1] I Feel the Earth Move tease.
[2] Trey on acoustic guitar.
[3] Included alternate lyrics from Mike.
[4] Tweezer teases.

Notes: Trey made several references to the venue’s springy floor and the fans bouncing on it while they danced. Appropriately, It’s Ice included a tease of I Feel the Earth Move. The Horse featured Trey on acoustic guitar. Ya Mar included alternate lyrics from Mike. Fishman, usually subject to nicknames when he takes the mic, introduced Trey as Chuck Norris on the drums. Trey retorted by calling Fish “a butt with protruding arms and legs.” Suzy included Tweezer teases. Antelope was dedicated to three new crew members from Vancouver. Baby Gramps was the opening act.

Monday, 08/24/1992 Gerald Ford Amphitheater, Vail, CO

Set 1: Buried Alive, Poor Heart, All Things Reconsidered, Tweezer, The Landlady, Reba, You Enjoy Myself

Notes: This set was an opener for Santana.
"Art isn’t about perfection. It is what is created when trying to reach perfection that matters!"
phishinsky
Northern Jedi

Postby cincyreba » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:48 am

phishinsky wrote:
(I will do my best to cover for Andy a good friend who is taking some time away!) :thumbup:

thanks ryan! i was wondering about that
Just relax... you're doin' fine
cincyreba

Postby AsianGirl » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:27 pm

08/29/87 The Ranch, Shelburne, VT

Set I: Alumni Blues, The Ballad of Curtis Loew, Sneaking Sally Through the Alley, Makisupa Policeman, Big Black Furry Creature from Mars, Flat Fee, Lushington, Suzy Greenberg, Mustang Sally, Ya Mar, The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday> Avenu Malkenu> The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday

Set II: Clod, Slave to the Traffic Light, Swing Low, The Curtain, McGrupp and the Watchful Hosemasters, Possum, Harry Hood, Timber, AC/DC Bag, The Divided Sky, Harpua

Set III: La Grange, Corrina, Mike's Song> I am Hydrogen, Shaggy Dog, David Bowie> Jesus Just Left Chicago

Notes: This show was dedicated to Eric Larson, who took care of Trey’s dog Marley over the summer.
________

Saturday, 08/29/1992 Shoreline Amphitheatre, Mountain View, CA
Set 1: Chalk Dust Torture, Rift, Bouncing Around the Room, Maze, You Enjoy Myself

Notes: This set was an opener for Santana. YEM included an Oye Como Va tease from Trey.
*Everything from now on is all Gravy*
AsianGirl

Postby y0n » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:52 pm

^ Here's a picture for that '87 show

y0n

Postby willbreathes » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:44 pm

Which is a screenshot of the video. :thumbup:
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby y0n » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:01 pm

Which a visual imitation of the real deal...whatever that is
y0n

Postby phishinsky » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:29 pm

cincyreba wrote:
phishinsky wrote:
(I will do my best to cover for Andy a good friend who is taking some time away!) :thumbup:

thanks ryan! i was wondering about that

I was trying then life got in the way...

Trying to get caught up ASAP.
phishinsky
Northern Jedi

Postby The Ubiquitous Smokey » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:56 pm

09/08/00 Pepsi Arena, Albany, NY

Set I: Mellow Mood, Limb By Limb, Ghost, Bouncing Around the Room, The Horse> Silent in the Morning, Saw it Again, NICU, Glide, Axilla, Taste, Golgi Apparatus

Set II: Birds of a Feather, Windora Bug, David Bowie, Back at the Chicken Shack, Bathtub Gin, Character Zero
Encore: Fire

I cannot believe that this show was seriously 10 years ago. It seems like just yesterday.

I basically dropped all but two classes my freshman year of college to go on tour and this was the kick off.

Wow, the years they keep on rolling by...
The Ubiquitous Smokey
East Side Jedi

Postby ghost_2000 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:54 am

The 99 and 2000 shows on this date are great. Darien kinda peters out after the jam out of Crosseyed, but up to that point the show was solid.
My room is round when I lay down, when I wake up it's square.
ghost_2000
The Apparition

Postby willbreathes » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:20 am

We missed 09/11, and the debut of Sand... which is still one of my all-time favorites.
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby ghost_2000 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:37 pm

^
Same here.

A really, really good show took place 10 years ago.

Sunday, 09/17/2000 Merriweather Post Pavillion, Columbia, MD

Set 1: Guyute, Back on the Train, Bathtub Gin, Limb By Limb, The Moma Dance, Lawn Boy, Fluffhead, The Curtain With > Chalk Dust Torture

Set 2: Rock and Roll > Theme From the Bottom -> Dog Log > The Mango Song -> Jam > Free

Encore: Contact > Rocky Top
My room is round when I lay down, when I wake up it's square.
ghost_2000
The Apparition

Postby GratefulPhish » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:48 am

although I can't say this was something I checked with regularity, I did check it from time to time........I miss Andy
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Postby lowspark » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:15 pm

This thread must be resurrected in remembrance of one of my favorite Phish shows ever. Hands down my favorite Reba ever played. Very high energy show from start to finish...certainly a gem

Happy 15th!!

Saturday, 10/21/1995 Pershing Auditorium, Lincoln, NE

Soundcheck: Dog Log, Life on Mars?

Set 1: Tweezer Reprise, Chalk Dust Torture, Guelah Papyrus, Reba, Wilson > Cars Trucks Buses, Kung > The Lizards, Strange Design, Acoustic Army, Good Times Bad Times -> Tweezer Reprise

Set 2: Also Sprach Zarathustra > David Bowie, Lifeboy, Sparkle, You Enjoy Myself > Purple Rain > Hold Your Head Up, Harry Hood[1], Suzy Greenberg[2]

Encore: Highway to Hell

[1] Beat It tease.
[2] Beat It, Stairway to Heaven and Tweezer Reprise teases.

Notes: Perhaps responding to fan predictions of a Michael Jackson cover album on Halloween, the band teased Black or White before GTBT as well as Beat It before and in Hood and in Suzy Greenberg. Suzy also included Stairway to Heaven and Tweezer Reprise teases.
lowspark

Postby booztravlr » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:20 pm

Pretty sad no one has mentioned the 1990-10-30 - 1990-11-04 Colorado run. These shows are not only some of the best played from this era but the quality that circulates is as good as it gets. It's hard to pick but 11-02 might be my favorite from the run.
the eleven | To weird to live, to rare to die.
booztravlr
Mr Boombastic

Postby zephish » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:25 pm

Happy Turkey day my southern neighbours. Enjoy! :thumbup:

Wednesday, 11/25/1992
Keswick Theatre, Glenside, PA
Set 1: Buried Alive > Poor Heart, The Landlady, Fee[1] -> Maze, Sparkle, It's Ice, The Squirming Coil, Cavern > Sweet Adeline > Cavern > Run Like an Antelope[2]

Set 2: Chalk Dust Torture, Foam, Fast Enough for You, You Enjoy Myself, The Lizards[3], Tweezer -> Hold Your Head Up > Cracklin' Rosie > Hold Your Head Up, My Sweet One > Tweezer Reprise

Encore: Harry Hood, Carolina[4]

[1] Trey sang verses through megaphone.
[2] Simpsons signal.
[3] Stopped twice. Trey allegedly forgot the lyrics.
[4] Performed without amplification.

Notes: Trey sang the verses of Fee through a megaphone. Antelope contained a Simpsons signal. Trey stopped Lizards after forgetting the lyrics. He took advantage of the break to welcome his grandfather and explain to him that they don’t usually mess up like that. Upon restarting the song, Trey realized that he still didn’t remember the second verse, so he stopped the song again and asked the audience for help. During the second break, he explained the Big Ball Jam to the crowd and claimed that he didn’t really forget the words to Lizards, he just wanted to explain the Big Balls. Fish was introduced before Rosie as “Henrietta, Eyeball Man.” Before Hood, Trey noted: “Hope everyone has a nice day tomorrow. Don’t feed any turkey to your dog.” Carolina was performed without amplification.

-----------------------

Friday, 11/25/1994
UIC Pavilion, University of Illinois, Chicago, IL
Set 1: Llama, Guelah Papyrus, Reba, Bouncing Around the Room, Split Open and Melt, Esther, Julius, Golgi Apparatus

Set 2: Also Sprach Zarathustra > Mike's Song -> Simple -> Harpua[1], Weekapaug Groove -> The Mango Song > Purple Rain > Hold Your Head Up, Run Like an Antelope

Encore: Good Times Bad Times

[1] Narration concerned happy green love beams and angry red hate beams.

Notes: This Thanksgiving Harpua included the first-ever Glowstick War, as Trey narrated a story involving happy green love beams and angry red hate beams.

--------------------------

Saturday, 11/25/1995
Hampton Coliseum, Hampton, VA
Set 1: Poor Heart, A Day in the Life > David Bowie, Billy Breathes > Taste That Surrounds, Bouncing Around the Room > Rift, Wolfman's Brother, Runaway Jim

Set 2: Timber (Jerry) > Kung[1], Mike's Song -> Rotation Jam[2] -> Mike's Song, My Long Journey Home[3], I'm Blue, I'm Lonesome[4], Strange Design > Weekapaug Groove, Harry Hood, Hello My Baby, Poor Heart[5]

Encore: Poor Heart Reprise, Fire

[1] Sung in a hymn-like fashion.
[2] First known Rotation Jam.
[3] Acoustic.
[4] Acoustic; Fishman mandolin solo.
[5] Slow arrangement.

Notes: The first set Poor Heart was the original version and the second set Poor Heart was the slow, shuffle version. The Poor Heart Reprise to start the encore was even slower, but only a few lines of the song were played. This Kung was performed differently than most; it was sung in a hymn-like fashion somewhat akin to Yerushalayim Shel Zahav. The jam out of Mike’s Song featured the first known Rotation Jam, which also included a segment where each band member was playing one of Page’s keyboards (although it was not Keyboard Cavalry). My Long Journey Home and I’m Blue I’m Lonesome were performed acoustic; the latter featured a mandolin solo from Fishman.

-----------------------------

Wednesday, 11/25/1998
Pepsi Arena, Albany, NY
Set 1: Punch You In the Eye, My Soul, Roggae, AC/DC Bag, Lifeboy, David Bowie, Sleep, Driver, Good Times Bad Times

Set 2: Also Sprach Zarathustra > Golgi Apparatus, Drowned -> Prince Caspian > Piper, You Enjoy Myself, Been Caught Stealing > Llama

Encore: Something, Guyute, Free Bird

Notes: Been Caught Stealin’ did not feature the usual tramps appearance.

-----------------------------

Wednesday, 11/25/2009
Wachovia Center, Philadelphia, PA
Set 1: Kill Devil Falls, 46 Days, Sugar Shack, Halley's Comet > The Divided Sky, Sleep Again, Ocelot, Train Song, Wilson > Run Like an Antelope

Set 2: Birds of a Feather, Farmhouse > Tweezer, You Enjoy Myself, Esther, Time Turns Elastic > Tweezer Reprise

Encore: Oh! Sweet Nuthin'

Notes: During Wilson, Trey implored Mike to take a "heavy metal bass solo" (and Mike complied). The lyrics to Antelope were changed to "Been you to have any Mike, man?" followed by another bass solo from Mike.
~ No one will be admitted during the last 10 minutes due to the incredible ending! ~
zephish

Postby fundirector23 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:35 am

^Thanks!
It's a dog eat dog world and I am wearing bacon underpants.
fundirector23

Postby zephish » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:22 pm

NP :)
Think I got 'em all for the weekend.
Some worthy shows to be checking out again.
No turkey and driving. All that tryptophan will make you sleepy! :yawn:
Have a great weekend!

Monday, 11/26/1990
The Haunt, Ithaca, NY

Set 1: The Landlady > Runaway Jim, The Sloth, Reba, Buried Alive, You Enjoy Myself, Paul and Silas, David Bowie[1] -> Mo' Better Blues -> David Bowie, The Divided Sky, Makisupa Policeman, Llama

Set 2: Uncle Pen, Colonel Forbin's Ascent > Fly Famous Mockingbird, Wilson, Mike's Song > I Am Hydrogen[2] > Weekapaug Groove[3], Hold Your Head Up > Whipping Post > Hold Your Head Up[4], Fire

Encore: Contact, Highway to Hell

[1] Donna Lee teases in intro.
[2] "I walk awakening on the misty fields of forever" lyrics.
[3] Mainstreet teases.
[4] Norwegian Wood tease by Page and Mike at end.

Notes: Makisupa was played for the first time since February 25, 1990 (109 shows). David Bowie's intro contained Donna Lee teases and Weekapaug contained Mainstreet teases. The beginning of Hydrogen included the lyrics "I walk awakening on the misty fields of forever." Fish was introduced as Bob Seger before Whipping Post. Page and Mike teased Norwegian Wood at the end of the second HYHU.

--------------------------------

Saturday, 11/26/1994
The Orpheum Theatre, Minneapolis, MN

Set 1: My Friend, My Friend, Possum, Guyute[1], If I Could, Foam, The Horse > Silent in the Morning, Poor Heart, Cavern

Set 2: Halley's Comet > David Bowie[2], Sweet Adeline, The Lizards, Sample in a Jar, Slave to the Traffic Light

Encore: Rocky Top

[1] Missing second verse.
[2] Vacuum jam from Fishman.

Notes: Guyute was incomplete, as it was missing the second verse. Bowie included a vacuum jam from Fishman. This version of Slave appears on A Live One.

-----------------------------------

Wednesday, 11/26/1997
Hartford Civic Center, Hartford, CT

Set 1: Tweezer > Sparkle > Gumbo, My Soul, McGrupp and the Watchful Hosemasters, Dirt, Split Open and Melt, The Horse > Silent in the Morning, Taste

Set 2: Character Zero -> Also Sprach Zarathustra[1] -> Cities -> Ya Mar > Punch You In the Eye > Prince Caspian > Poor Heart[2], Tweezer Reprise

Encore: Cavern[3]

[1] Super Bad teases.
[2] Began as Rocky Top.
[3] Original, alternate lyrics and an All Things Considered tease from Page.

Notes: 2001 included Super Bad (James Brown) teases. Poor Heart began as Rocky Top. Cavern included some of the original, alternate lyrics and an All Things Considered (not ATR) tease from Page.

Friday, 11/27/1992
The Capitol Theatre, Port Chester, NY

Soundcheck: Dog Log, Axilla (x2), Blues Jam (x2)

Set 1: Rift > Wilson > The Divided Sky > Colonel Forbin's Ascent > Fly Famous Mockingbird, Split Open and Melt, Lawn Boy, Reba, Llama, Mound, Memories, Runaway Jim

Set 2: Axilla, Poor Heart > Possum[1], Glide, It's Ice > McGrupp and the Watchful Hosemasters > I Walk the Line > David Bowie[2], The Horse > Silent in the Morning, Faht, Take the 'A' Train > Cavern[3]

Encore: Bold As Love

[1] All Fall Down and Random Note signals.
[2] I Walk The Line and McGrupp and the Watchful Hosemasters teases.
[3] Voodoo Child and Purple Haze teases.

------------------------------------

Wednesday, 11/27/1996
Key Arena, Seattle, WA

Set 1: Julius > My Friend, My Friend, Ya Mar, Chalk Dust Torture, The Sloth, Uncle Pen, Free > Theme From the Bottom, Bold As Love

Set 2: Down with Disease -> Jesus Just Left Chicago, Scent of a Mule[1], Tweezer -> Sweet Emotion Jam -> Down with Disease Reprise[2], The Star Spangled Banner, Fire

Encore: Waste, Tweezer Reprise

[1] Mule Duel included Brady Bunch theme scats from Trey and some vacuum action from Fishman.
[2] Can't You Hear Me Knocking at ending.

Notes: The Mule Duel included Brady Bunch theme scats from Trey and some vacuum action from Fishman. Fire and Bold As Love were dedicated to Jimi Hendrix on his birthday. The Disease and Tweezer combo has led some fans to refer to this as the “Diseezer.” The Disease Reprise contained a Can’t You Hear Me Knocking ending.

Friday, 11/27/1998
Worcester Centrum Centre, Worcester, MA

Soundcheck: Back at the Chicken Shack, Come On (Part One), Wipe Out, Louie Louie, Jam (with HYHU and Louie Louie), Ginseng Sullivan, Funky Bitch, Jam (with Lifeboy and Limb By Limb), Jam

Set 1: Funky Bitch, Ya Mar[1], Carini[2], Runaway Jim, Meat > Reba, The Old Home Place, Dogs Stole Things, Vultures, When the Circus Comes, Birds of a Feather

Set 2: Buried Alive, Wipe Out, Chalk Dust Torture[3] -> Mirror in the Bathroom[4] -> Chalk Dust Torture -> Dog Log[5] -> Chalk Dust Torture > Sanity, Buffalo Bill > Mike's Song -> I Am Hydrogen > Weekapaug Groove -> Wipe Out -> Weekapaug Groove, Weekapaug Groove Reprise > Run Like an Antelope

Encore: Wading in the Velvet Sea, Golgi Apparatus > Wipe Out

[1] I Dream of Jeannie teases from Mike
[2] Alternate lyrics referencing a streaker.
[3] Wipe Out teases.
[4] Phish debut.
[5] Unfinished; Blues version.

Notes: Ya Mar contained I Dream of Jeannie teases from Mike. Once again, Carini included lyrics about the streaker from three weeks earlier. Mirror in the Bathroom (which was subtly teased by Mike earlier in the set) made its Phish debut and Wipe Out was played for the first time since April 27, 1991 (721 shows). Chalk Dust included more Wipe Out teases. Dog Log was unfinished and sung over a more bluesy progression than usual. Some funny banter ensued during the encore, as Fishman and Trey took verbal jabs at each other. This show was officially released as Live Phish 06.

---------------------------

Friday, 11/27/2009
Times Union Center, Albany, NY

Set 1: AC/DC Bag > Maze, Driver, My Mind's Got a Mind of its Own, Gumbo, Bouncing Around the Room > It's Ice, Two Versions of Me, Timber (Jerry) > Limb By Limb, Cavern > Light

Set 2: My Friend, My Friend > Golden Age[1], On Your Way Down, Fluffhead > Piper -> Tomorrow's Song[2], Prince Caspian > Harry Hood > Suzy Greenberg > The Squirming Coil, I Been Around

Encore: Fire

[1] Phish debut.
[2] Debut.

Notes: This show marked the Phish debut of Golden Age (TV on the Radio) and the debut of Tomorrow's Song. During Page's solo in Coil, the rest of the band left the stage. Upon returning, Trey said that they had left for the encore and asked Page where he had been, leading into I Been Around. The Fire encore continued the tradition of Phish playing a Hendrix cover on the guitarist's birthday (11/27/92 and 11/27/96 being the other occasions).

----------------------------------

Wednesday, 11/28/1990
Clement's Brew Pub, Syracuse, NY

Set 1: Golgi Apparatus, The Divided Sky, Foam, Bouncing Around the Room, Tweezer, Good Times Bad Times

Set 2: The Oh Kee Pa Ceremony > Suzy Greenberg, Harry Hood, The Landlady, Bathtub Gin, I Didn't Know, Possum, Take the 'A' Train, Mike's Song > I Am Hydrogen > Weekapaug Groove

Encore: Lawn Boy, Rocky Top, Timber (Jerry)

Notes: The listing for the first set is incomplete, as the recordings of the first set end after Tweezer.

Saturday, 11/28/1992
The Capitol Theatre, Port Chester, NY

Set 1: My Sweet One, Foam, Stash, Esther[1], Chalk Dust Torture, Sparkle, Fast Enough for You, All Things Reconsidered, Mike's Song[2] > I Am Hydrogen > Weekapaug Groove

Set 2: Suzy Greenberg, Paul and Silas, Tweezer[3] -> The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday > Avenu Malkenu -> Maze -> The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday, Bouncing Around the Room, The Squirming Coil, Love You > Hold Your Head Up, Harpua[4], Golgi Apparatus

Encore: Contact -> Tweezer Reprise

[1] Random Note and Aw Fuck! signals in intro.
[2] Several Walk This Way teases.
[3] Strong Alumni Blues teases.
[4] Jimmy Olsen's Blues tease.

Notes: My Sweet One included a long pause due to problems Mike had with his bass. The Esther intro contained Random Note and Aw Fuck! signals. Mike's Song contained several Walk This Way teases and Tweezer contained strong Alumni Blues teases. Fish referred to Love You (which included the use of a gong) as “Woody’s Gong” before the Harpua. Harpua included a Jimmy Olsen’s Blues tease.

Monday, 11/28/1994
Field House, Montana State University, Bozeman, MT

Set 1: Chalk Dust Torture, Also Sprach Zarathustra, Scent of a Mule, Stash, Guyute, Sparkle, Simple[1], The Divided Sky, Sweet Adeline

Set 2: Suzy Greenberg -> NICU, Tweezer, Sleeping Monkey, Julius

Encore: Fee[2] > Tweezer Reprise

[1] Cameron McKinney on saxophone.
[2] Trey sang verses through megaphone.

Notes: Simple featured Cameron McKinney on saxophone. A portion of the jam segment from this long (nearly 45 minutes), experimental Tweezer appeared on A Live One as Montana. This gig was originally scheduled for MSU’s Shroyer Gym (capacity 1,800), and was later moved to the larger Field House (capacity 8,500). Trey sang the verses of Fee through a megaphone.

--------------------------------------

Tuesday, 11/28/1995
Knoxville Civic Coliseum, Knoxville, TN

Set 1: Stash, Dinner and a Movie > Bouncing Around the Room, Foam, I Didn't Know, The Divided Sky, Guyute, Hello My Baby, Sample in a Jar

Set 2: Also Sprach Zarathustra > Maze, Suzy Greenberg[1], Uncle Pen, Free, Hold Your Head Up > Wind Beneath My Wings[2] > Hold Your Head Up, Run Like an Antelope, Contact, Big Black Furry Creature from Mars, Funky Bitch

Encore: The Squirming Coil

[1] 25 or 6 to 4 tease.
[2] Phish debut.

Notes: Suzy Greenberg included a 25 or 6 to 4 tease. Wind Beneath My Wings was a Phish debut; it was sung by Fishman and dedicated to Colonel Bruce Hampton, who sat on stage reading a newspaper during the song.

---------------------------------------

Friday, 11/28/1997

Set 1: The Curtain, You Enjoy Myself[1] -> I Didn't Know, Maze, Farmhouse, Black-Eyed Katy, Theme From the Bottom > Rocky Top

Set 2: Timber (Jerry), Limb By Limb, Slave to the Traffic Light > Ghost -> Johnny B. Goode

Encore: My Soul

[1] Crosseyed and Painless tease; no bass and drums segment.

Notes: YEM featured a Crosseyed and Painless tease, did not include the bass and drums segment, and ended with a shortened vocal jam that segued into I Didn’t Know.

--------------------------------------

Saturday, 11/28/1998

Set 1: Gumbo, Tube > Down with Disease, Guyute, Albuquerque, Foam, The Moma Dance, Split Open and Melt

Set 2: Julius, Wolfman's Brother > Timber (Jerry), Loving Cup > Scent of a Mule[1], Prince Caspian > Crossroads, Tweezer, Cavern

Encore: Sample in a Jar, Tweezer Reprise

[1] Mike/Fish "duel."

Notes: Scent of a Mule contained a “duel” between Mike and Fishman, with Mike donning a Viking helmet similar to the one Fish had been wearing during this tour, and the two “squaring off” as if locked in battle.

Friday, 11/28/2003
Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY

Set 1: Bouncing Around the Room, Runaway Jim, Ghost -> What's the Use? > AC/DC Bag > First Tube, Frankie Says, Bathtub Gin -> Free

Set 2: Waves > Sample in a Jar, Down with Disease, Walls of the Cave, Two Versions of Me, Crowd Control[1], Mike's Song > I Am Hydrogen > Weekapaug Groove

Encore: Crimes of the Mind[2]

[1] Debut.
[2] Dude of Life on vocals.

Notes: This show included the debut of Crowd Control. Trey introduced Mike to sing “his song.” Crimes of the Mind (first since July 10, 1994, or 504 shows) featured the Dude of Life on vocals. During the song, the Dude congratulated Phish on their 20 years together, and wished them success for 20 more.

---------------------------------------

Saturday, 11/28/2009
Times Union Center, Albany, NY

Set 1: Party Time, Stealing Time From the Faulty Plan, Uncle Pen, Sanity, Foam, Walk Away > NICU, Alaska, Split Open and Melt, Joy, Vultures, Backwards Down the Number Line

Set 2: Seven Below > Ghost[1], Cool It Down > Gotta Jibboo, Let Me Lie, Wolfman's Brother > Julius

Encore: You Enjoy Myself

[1] Seven Below tease.

Notes: This show featured the first Uncle Pen since July 11, 2000 (129 shows). Ghost contained a tease of Seven Below.
~ No one will be admitted during the last 10 minutes due to the incredible ending! ~
zephish

Postby willbreathes » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:33 pm

Friday, 12/02/1983
Harris-Millis Cafeteria - University of Vermont, Burlington, VT

Soundcheck: Jam (with audience present)

Set 1: Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress[1], Proud Mary[1], In the Midnight Hour[1], Squeeze Box[1], Roadhouse Blues[1], Happy Birthday to You[1]

Set 2: Scarlet Begonias[1] > Fire on the Mountain[1]

[1] Phish debut.

Notes: Trey, Mike, Fish, and Jeff Holdsworth recall being billed as “Blackwood Convention” for this show (though no one is certain what band name was used), which is believed to be their first public gig together. The band was short on equipment, so a hockey stick was used as a microphone stand. Between sets, the DJ spun some Michael Jackson and Trey drummed along to the album. The house music (which included more Michael Jackson) was presumably turned up after Fire to drown out the band. The setlist may be incomplete, though, as the master recording contains nothing after Trey’s sarcastic comments about Michael Jackson following Fire. All songs are, of course, Phish debuts. While this show is often billed as an ROTC Halloween Dance that took place on October 30, 1983, this is incorrect. The master copy of the recording of this show, as unearthed by Phish archivist Kevin Shapiro, contains a handwritten note that pegs the date as December 2, 1983. In discussions with Kevin, band members confirmed that they recall rehearsing for this show over the Thanksgiving Break, and that the show was a Christmas semi-formal. Also, it was not an ROTC-sponsored event; it was a dorm dance in a predominantly ROTC dorm (Mike’s dorm at the time).

I heard someone was sending me a recording of this show.

::shoots daggers::
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby Moma Dave » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:18 pm

18 years ago today! :shock: :clap: My 1st Phish gig... what a gig! Changed my life forever!

Monday, 03/22/1993
Crest Theatre, Sacramento, CA
Soundcheck: Two Princes, Halley’s Comet, Weigh

Set 1: Chalk Dust Torture, Guelah Papyrus, Uncle Pen, Stash, Bouncing Around the Room, Rift, Weigh > Reba, Sparkle > David Bowie[1]

Set 2: Golgi Apparatus, It's Ice > The Lizards > Tela > Wilson > AC/DC Bag > Colonel Forbin's Ascent > Fly Famous Mockingbird > The Sloth > McGrupp and the Watchful Hosemasters, Mike's Song > I Am Hydrogen >Weekapaug Groove[2]

Encore: Amazing Grace[3], Fire

[1] Simpsons, Oom Pa Pa, Random Note, and All Fall Down signals and Popeye and brief Split Open And Melt teases from Mike in intro.
[2] Sundown tease from Mike.
[3] Without microphones.

Notes: The Bowie intro contained Simpsons, Oom Pa Pa, Random Note, and All Fall Down signals and Mike teasing Popeye and briefly Split Open And Melt. The second set included Gamehendge narration in between songs from It's Ice through McGrupp. This was the first Gamehendge since October 13, 1991 (193 shows). Weekapaug contained a Sundown tease from Mike. Amazing Grace was performed without microphones.
I'm left in the now with a wondrous glow
I think I'm still me but how would you know?
Moma Dave
Undercover Wook

Postby bigB » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:06 am

I've never heard of a lot of those tunes.

sloththesloth?
As he saw his life run away from him 1000's ran along chanting words from a psalm.
bigB
Wookie-Tamer

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Moma Dave » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:10 pm

^Weird copy and pasting from phish net...
I'm left in the now with a wondrous glow
I think I'm still me but how would you know?
Moma Dave
Undercover Wook

Postby the dooj » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:08 pm

"The good outnumber you, and we always will."
the dooj

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby willbreathes » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:49 pm

Top-5 show material here.

Saturday, 12/06/1997
The Palace of Auburn Hills, Auburn Hills, MI

Soundcheck: Dog Log, AC/DC Bag, Ginseng Sullivan, Black-Eyed Katy

Set 1: Golgi Apparatus, Run Like an Antelope, Train Song > Bathtub Gin -> Foam, Sample in a Jar, Fee > Maze, Cavern

Set 2: Tweezer -> Izabella -> Twist -> Piper, Sleeping Monkey > Tweezer Reprise

Encore: Rocky Top
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby The Ubiquitous Smokey » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:16 pm

Top 5 show attended for shizzle.

Saw it with that PardonMeGeez guy.

Down close for the second set.

Mind = blown.

14 years?????

Daaaaaaaaaaayum!!
The Ubiquitous Smokey