Phish songs out in the world

Discuss Phish!

Re: Phish songs out in the world

Postby El Bastarde » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:24 pm

willbreathes wrote:Woah, Shine is not a dumb song.

Oh, I didn't mean to refer to Shine as one of those...I love that song too. Love that whole album.

Just pointing out that if someone does hear a "dumb" song on department store radio, it's not like it'll change...so they get played forever...which is why we still hear Shine when most "normal" stations stopped playing it long ago. (Though I certainly never heard it on any station).
El Bastarde

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby hosemasterflex » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:39 pm

I was putting, with my music on, and it was at the end of Sparkle, from Randall Field. I blew the putt. My golf buddy goes, "It was probably the carnival music."
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby jawbone » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:01 pm

hosemasterflex wrote:I was putting, with my music on, and it was at the end of Sparkle, from Randall Field. I blew the putt. My golf buddy goes, "It was probably the carnival music."

:thumbup:
[#42?] nothin' shakin' but the leaves on the trees
jawbone
Skunk Ape Expatriate

Postby ghost » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:21 pm

ghost
Human Being

Postby AsianGirl » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:12 pm

Heard the refrain of this song on the radio the other day and realized it sounds just like someone copied "Contact"
http://youtu.be/7PCkvCPvDXk?t=45s
*Everything from now on is all Gravy*
AsianGirl

Postby piper » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:35 pm

^Wow, no doubt about it.
piper

Postby AsianGirl » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:42 pm

Oh, and this guy also thought same thing:
http://blog.timesunion.com/chuckmiller/ ... tar/23198/

and he even found some K-pop song where they ripped off Phish too.

EDIT: Found another article that also mentions all 3 songs. I think the link for "Contact" in this article is broken, but we all know what it sounds like.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/d ... pop-artist
AsianGirl

Postby El Bastarde » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:39 pm

Heard the refrain of this song on the radio the other day and realized it sounds just like someone copied "Contact"

You’re kinda right but I’m now angry at you for making me watch a minute of that. I did like the first comment on there though. At the same time, is Contact’s melody THAT unique? I always felt it was kinda a traditional “cha cha cha” beat heard in a lot of songs like that.

Oh, and this guy also thought same thing:
http://blog.timesunion.com/chuckmiller/ ... tar/23198/

Ya, but this guy also points out that almost all of them are similar to C’est La Vie.

I'd probably chock it up to it being a fairly familiar melody. With so much music out there it's not shocking when songs sound similar. How many songs out there have a Sweet Jane melody in them?
El Bastarde

Postby goldenroad » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:59 pm

New phish musical costume? ;)

Ok, probably not, but man, yeah, that was a pretty terrible song. I can't believe I listened to it twice. :?
goldenroad
Undercover Wook

Postby El Bastarde » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:31 pm

^Eh, the kids listen and support the music that is offered to them. They don’t know any better because no one offers them anything different or better and they don't know where to look for other stuff...plus a lot of folks are "casual" fans...they're not picky. The music industry’s basically dead at this point since it’s not even about music anymore. All image.

And it doesn't help that the artists themselves don't care about the music...it's just written for them by studios and they're just riding it to celebrity status which they usually prefer to transition to acting since the money is better.

Interesting enough, this is kinda really similar to how things worked in the 1950s...artists and bands being "made" by record companies and being handed songs to perform and being heavily controlled...with the big ones transitioning to TV and movies...heck, even lip-synching is the norm again. Everything works in cycles.
El Bastarde

Postby AsianGirl » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:18 pm

AsianGirl wrote:Heard the refrain of this song on the radio the other day and realized it sounds just like someone copied "Contact"

Well I was thinking that the next time the band played Contact that they would seque / reference All About that Bass.

They did.
AsianGirl

Postby El Bastarde » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:27 pm

^Bwahaha. Nicely done. Reminds me of when Madonna played part of GaGa's Born This Way in the middle of Respect Yourself just to emphasize how similar they sound. Humorous.
El Bastarde

Postby AsianGirl » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:36 pm

^ But I was secretly hoping to hear it in LV this weekend. Oh well.
AsianGirl

Postby jawbone » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:48 am

Good spot, Pei!

Yeah, hit songs now are just novelty viral youtube silliness. Its a drag.
jawbone
Skunk Ape Expatriate

Postby El Bastarde » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:38 pm

Yeah, hit songs now are just novelty viral youtube silliness.

The sad thing is this is now one of the best way for artists to make money. No one buys whole albums, many streaming sites pay shit to the musicians (Taylor Swift's camp has been ripping Spotify for this lately) and sales on a single mp3 can only go so far. But come up with a quirky or sexy video and suck up youtube hits? It's where music is now.

Of course, Iggy Pop came out recently and pointed out that if you're trying to make money with music, you're in the wrong business. That's sadly the problem...since no one buys any music now, music companies are desperate for cash so they won't take a chance on anything they think won't be profitable. A bit sad.
El Bastarde

Postby willbreathes » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:46 am

There was a They Attack and a Fluffhead sign at the Royal Rumble.
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby The Ubiquitous Smokey » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:24 pm

The Ubiquitous Smokey
East Side Jedi

Postby jawbone » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:52 pm

Nice
jawbone
Skunk Ape Expatriate

Postby El Bastarde » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:26 pm

^You can tell it's the same guy too...probably front and back on the posterboard. I'm a big fan of "They Attack" showing up at various sporting events.
El Bastarde

Postby The Ubiquitous Smokey » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:18 pm

The Ubiquitous Smokey
East Side Jedi

Postby AsianGirl » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:39 pm

My favorite dish at Chili's is their Original Chicken Crispers. I go to one near work for lunch once every other week or so.

Last time I was there they played Anastasio's bike song 'Let me Lie' from Traveler (not one of my faves). Today they played Mike Gordon's 'Yarmouth Road' from Overstep. Both tunes were stand-alones.

Part of me wonders if these albums / tunes are part of their music selection, or if whoever's working there gets to play their own music... I'm gonna ask the bartender next time I'm there.
AsianGirl

Postby goldenroad » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:50 pm

^ That's awesome. I go to a coffee shop once in a while that a phan works at and he'll be playing some Phish in there from time to time. I'm pretty sure he's the only one, other than Erin and I, in this city that is into Phish, and his co-workers there just hate it. lol.

I've got a similar tale though, of "phish in public". Erin and I went out to eat at this mid-tier restaurant and we sat down at the table and I'm like "listen to the music Erin, I think they're playing Phish", and we're both listening really hard and you can just faintly hear this sick jam that sounds like "Free". So we're both being really quiet and listening and then another Phish song comes on and I'm like, "OK, clearly someone here likes Phish, we should ask our server who picks the music". So as we're waiting for the server to come we're now just grooving along to this music and then it clicks, the music is not being played in the restaurant, but rather it's coming from my phone in my pocket that I must have accidentally hit play on. So yeah...I'm an idiot.

I laughed. I thought it was entertaining, and as I sit here typing this, I'm realizing it really does not take much to amuse me anymore.
goldenroad
Undercover Wook

Postby piper » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:16 am

^ha, that's funny.
piper

Postby hosemasterflex » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:32 am

goldenroad wrote:^ That's awesome. I go to a coffee shop once in a while that a phan works at and he'll be playing some Phish in there from time to time. I'm pretty sure he's the only one, other than Erin and I, in this city that is into Phish, and his co-workers there just hate it. lol.

I've got a similar tale though, of "phish in public". Erin and I went out to eat at this mid-tier restaurant and we sat down at the table and I'm like "listen to the music Erin, I think they're playing Phish", and we're both listening really hard and you can just faintly hear this sick jam that sounds like "Free". So we're both being really quiet and listening and then another Phish song comes on and I'm like, "OK, clearly someone here likes Phish, we should ask our server who picks the music". So as we're waiting for the server to come we're now just grooving along to this music and then it clicks, the music is not being played in the restaurant, but rather it's coming from my phone in my pocket that I must have accidentally hit play on. So yeah...I'm an idiot.

I laughed. I thought it was entertaining, and as I sit here typing this, I'm realizing it really does not take much to amuse me anymore.

But did Erin laugh? And then, with you, or more like, at you?
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby Brother » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:28 pm

My favorite bar in college was a great place with $3 Michigan craft pints on Thursdays, and they also regularly played Phish, Ween, The Dead, and a lot of the jamgrass bands like Yonder and Greensky Bluegrass. Then, once a year they have a cover band in the bar (it is definitely NOT a music venue kind of bar, real small) and the cover band plays mostly Dead and Phish tunes with some cool covers thrown in there like Pearl Jam and Floyd. Also, to this band's credit, they pick ambitious covers too, like Coil and Stash. I've been really impressed.
Brother

PreviousNext

Return to General Phish Discussion