Trey's Summer 2013 Guitar Rig

Discuss Phish!

Trey's Summer 2013 Guitar Rig

Postby delayloop » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:35 pm

So it seems Trey has changed his rig once again for this tour. Most notably is his switch back to the Languedoc he played before the switch to the "Ocedoc."

Also glaring is the addition of a Bogner Shiva (located behind him with his Mesa resting on top).

It looks like he's got only one of his custom-made cabs on stage as well as the Victoria Reverberato Tremolo, turned away from him, next to his rack which is also facing Page.

Southern Phish
delayloop

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Trey's Summer 2013 Guitar Rig

Postby gamecat » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:18 pm

I noticed the switch of guitars after watching the stream Sunday night.

Interesting,...some peeps are not happy about that & some are.
gamecat
The Shepherd

Postby phishinsky » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:13 pm

Either guitar seemed to work, so I guess I am OK with it...

Just curious on the new stage setup, seems a little more "cramped"......
"Art isn’t about perfection. It is what is created when trying to reach perfection that matters!"
phishinsky
Northern Jedi

Postby Moma Dave » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:50 pm

phishinsky wrote:Just curious on the new stage setup, seems a little more "cramped"......

Trey said they did it to hear better on stage. He doesn't require a drum monitor anymore. He wants to hear the natural stage sound. I think that was in a recent rolling stone article... could be wrong. AS far as guitar changing, nobody knows why at this point. Rare to see Trey revert to an old one once he has a new one.
I'm left in the now with a wondrous glow
I think I'm still me but how would you know?
Moma Dave
Undercover Wook

Postby Moma Dave » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:51 pm

Moma Dave
Undercover Wook

Postby nugfin » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:10 pm

And what's with the snare attached to the bass drum?

Is that for Trey when he feels like joining in with Fish?
I'm not good with numbers I just count on knowing when I'm high enough
nugfin

Postby Ship Of Fools » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:07 pm

I don't think that is a snare drum on the front of the bass drum. I think it's either something that improves the tone of the bass drum or a microphone or something that reflects the sound back so that it doesn't get into Trey's vocal microphone. All guesses, but much more likely than a snare drum IMO.

Also, I really like the way the older koa Languedoc is sounding. It's got a compressed, liquidy tone that the Ocedoc doesn't seem to manage. The Ocedoc is a more scratchy, itchy treble kind of thing, and the older 'doc has more low end and a rounder tone. That's what I'm hearing, anyway. And of course, with the tube screamers he can always kick it up for things like First Tube and Tweeprise. So I'd say I like it better right now.
His soul swooned slowly as he heard the snow falling faintly through the universe and faintly falling, like the descent of their last end, upon all the living and the dead.
- James Joyce, "The Dead"
Ship Of Fools
Raving Lunatic

Postby Buster » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:44 pm

Love the sound of the new guitar/setup. During Tweezer from SPACII, guitar had a real nice twang to it and overall sounds a bit jazzier.

Thumbs up from me.
Buster
The NorEaster

Postby Moma Dave » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:37 am

Ship Of Fools wrote:I don't think that is a snare drum on the front of the bass drum. I think it's either something that improves the tone of the bass drum or a microphone or something that reflects the sound back so that it doesn't get into Trey's vocal microphone. All guesses, but much more likely than a snare drum IMO.

It is a Sub Kick:
The Yamaha SubKick Low-Frequency Capture Device is a new breed of subfrequency (below 100Hz) capture devices designed to bring out the natural sound of bass drums and floor toms. SubKick uses the natural microphonic qualities of a 6-1/2" woofer shockmounted inside a 7-ply birch/mahogany shell. Mesh heads are mounted on the outside, which adds a tiny bit of sustain. The natural resonance of the shell combined with the heads and loudspeaker create an awesome subfrequency sound that must be heard to be believed.
Moma Dave
Undercover Wook

Postby jawbone » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:47 am

Yeah his whole sound has kinda changed. A lot more liquidy and less attack. I personally prefer the old tone but having him a bit more buried in the mix allows more sonic coverage of Page's total annihilation of faces.

The rig he showed us all in the feature during the NYE couch tour is totally not what's going on now. Very rarely over the course of the SPAC run did I hear him play a straight, clean tone, or his classic compressor and/or tube screamer wizardry.

Also, wtf is this new wah wah pedal with all the fiddly bits. Is it the return of the whale or something slightly different? Anyway, it should be interesting to see how this new setup evolves the sound.
[#42?] nothin' shakin' but the leaves on the trees
jawbone
Skunk Ape Expatriate

Postby Brother » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:29 am

jawbone wrote:Yeah his whole sound has kinda changed. A lot more liquidy and less attack. I personally prefer the old tone but having him a bit more buried in the mix allows more sonic coverage of Page's total annihilation of faces.

I agree with all these words. I love that compressed tube screamer stuff but I remember an interview with Trey, maybe this was even like 1991, where he said his philosophy was to "build up to distortion" which I've noticed he definitely does these days. Dynamics brah. I love that even 30 years later the band is finding ways to improve their sound and communication. Shows they give a shit.
Brother

Postby Buster » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:59 am

I didn't hear any return of the whale. There were definite remnants of the whale, but wasn't whale calling.

And yeah, liquidy is a nice term for new guitar sound. SPACIII LxL you could hear it nicely and Ghost had that similar "twangy" sound I was hearing from Tweezer, SPACII.
Buster
The NorEaster

Postby webephishin » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:59 am

jawbone wrote:The rig he showed us all in the feature during the NYE couch tour is totally not what's going on now. Very rarely over the course of the SPAC run did I hear him play a straight, clean tone, or his classic compressor and/or tube screamer wizardry.

he definatley has a thinner tone...more so characteristic of a single-coil setup rather than beefy humbuckers. It definately resembles a telecaster at some points....another thing i noticed up to this point in the tour is trey is on his whammy on almost every song...I wouldn't mind seein him step away from that a lil more and going straight screaming or clean like the last couple years, or adding the univibe + octave n get real weird like back in the day.
Summer 2009: Alpine x2, Toyota Park
Winter 2010: TAB at Pabst
Summer 2010: Toyota Park, Alpine x2
Winter 2011: TAB at Riviera
Summer 2011: UIC x3

This isn't who it would be if it wasn't who it is!
webephishin

Postby Moma Dave » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:30 pm

He's been inspired to try new/different/??? stuff for sure. :clap: I applaud Trey for his integrity to their word of always moving on and going where they haven't. This is all the reason why they thrive as musicians above most. Off the top of my head SPAC Heavy Things, Julius solos are classic ross compressor/ tube screamer Trey wizardry. :thumbup:
Moma Dave
Undercover Wook

Postby phishinsky » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:36 pm

Ha, I actually read that and forgot about it, thx!

I remember now. :thumbup:
"Art isn’t about perfection. It is what is created when trying to reach perfection that matters!"
phishinsky
Northern Jedi

Postby PardonMe Doug » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:14 pm

I prefer the tones and effects Trey was working with in the 90's to anything he's used in 2.0 or later. I just miss that feeling that Trey's guitar is grabbing you by the balls. It sounds so wimpy to me these days. But, I prefer a Trey who is always evolving and trying new things to one who is stagnant and doesn't give a shit despite my preferences.
PardonMe Doug

Postby delayloop » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:37 pm

In my opinion, he was doing too much of the single-coil pickup stuff during SPAC. There were moments when I was actually asking myself if he just had the guitar turned down on accident, as I was straining to hear what he was doing. There was hardly any of that edgy, thick, THIS IS TREY tone at all.
Southern Phish
delayloop

Postby rastabilly » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:39 pm

I really like his new tone. For all of 3.0, I've thought his tone was too harsh and too hot in the mix. I think it's a vast improvement.
This isn't who it would be if it wasn't #2.

Listen to my band! www.opencountryjoy.bandcamp.com
rastabilly
Undercover Wook

Postby lysasome » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:59 am

rastabilly wrote:I really like his new tone. For all of 3.0, I've thought his tone was too harsh and too hot in the mix. I think it's a vast improvement.

Right on. I like it when the levels are more even across the whole band.
#8675309. do the dew.
lysasome

Postby Guelah » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:38 pm

nugfin wrote:And what's with the snare attached to the bass drum?

Is that for Trey when he feels like joining in with Fish?

Been there since Hampton, I think.
"2014 Great year...2015...Better year!" -Trip Anti-acid
Guelah
Teh_Southern Pa

Postby willbreathes » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:38 pm

I just can't believe he isn't using the pedal that bends light and everyones shockra into hetty vibes that he got on Broadway.

:wave:
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby delayloop » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:24 pm

willbreathes wrote:I just can't believe he isn't using the pedal that bends light and everyones shockra into hetty vibes that he got on Broadway.

:wave:

This.
This made my shitty day. :thumbup:
Southern Phish
delayloop

Postby Guelah » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:21 pm

:lol:
"2014 Great year...2015...Better year!" -Trip Anti-acid
Guelah
Teh_Southern Pa

Postby gamecat » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:00 pm

PardonMe Doug wrote: I just miss that feeling that Trey's guitar is grabbing you by the balls. It sounds so wimpy to me these days. But, I prefer a Trey who is always evolving and trying new things to one who is stagnant and doesn't give a shit despite my preferences.

I'd have to agree with you here.
After listening to most of the shows this tour so far, I'm not liking his sound.
I mean, it's still Trey and I love him,...but "wimpy" really describes his sound to me too.

Don't know if it's the change of guitars or what,...
gamecat
The Shepherd

Postby delayloop » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:13 pm

Update:

Trey's traded the Ampeg for an SWR bass amp (presumably Mike's signal) and Mike is getting (presumably) Trey's signal sent to the Princeton Reverb facing him on stage. Perhaps all they're getting in their monitor mixes are vocals?
Southern Phish
delayloop

Next

Return to General Phish Discussion