Trey's Summer 2013 Guitar Rig

Discuss Phish!

Re: Trey's Summer 2013 Guitar Rig

Postby delayloop » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:16 pm

Correction, they've got to have some of Page coming through there, and probably kick and snare. Perhaps they're only routing the guitars through on-stage amps for a more natural sound. I wish their mixing engineer would sit down and explain it all.
Southern Phish
delayloop

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby jdprdu » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:06 am

I always thought that the Ocelot gt, although stunning and keeping with the versatile coil switching options, just had pu's that were WAY too hot! It worked well with some stuff but not with others. I think that is why so many on here are commenting that Trey is not using the Screamers. He is using them, along with the Ross Comp, its just that the pickups on this axe are much less hot and you are actually hearing the older tones that he used to get. The Bogner Shiva does not appear to be mic'd so unless he is going direct out, which I highly doubt, he is just trying it out and getting some stage sound out of it. You would have to be right up front to even hear it.

Overall, he sounds more like 97-98 to my old ears..;). I love the Ocelot guitar but was not disappointed that he is not playing it and would bet that when he does, the pickups will have been "un" wound a tad!

Peace!

jp

EDIT - It looks like the Bogner Shiva IS mic'd after all. It does not sound like he is switching but its tough to tell so it may just be low in the mix with the Mesa as I am still hearing mainly Mesa tone. A Mark III can be colored quite a bit but still is quite distinctive.
jdprdu

Postby hosemasterflex » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:13 am

Wow, I'm such a gear ignoramous, but that does make sense. Hell of a first post. Welcome to teh 'Pa man!
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby Brother » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:14 am

wimpy sounds about right, but there is also the factor of how he plays guitar these days. a lot of tone comes from picking and fretting and overall finger technique.
Brother

Postby PardonMe Doug » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:53 pm

After being at the Chicago shows and then listening to the LP releases I realized having the aud recordings probably makes a huge difference. I've been listening to almost nothing but 90's Phish until this tour started, most of which are good auds. The mix on the sbd recordings just doesn't do the guitar tone justice IMO. It has a lot more of that "cut" that I like. It's still nothing like it was in the 90's but it had a lot more power.

The same is true for the drums, especially the toms. They sound much more fill after being mixed for the 'room' and the PA than what comes into the drum mics. I plan on getting a lot of the 2013 shows on aud when I get the motivation, I have a feeling I will enjoy them more.
PardonMe Doug

Postby the dooj » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:09 pm

Matrix all the way.
"The good outnumber you, and we always will."
the dooj

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby willbreathes » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:25 pm

Still no love for Dr. Blankenstein.... lol.

GratefulPhish wrote:
Fan Hand-Delivers Custom-Made Effects Pedal to Anastasio

Last night at the NYC premiere of Hands on a Hardbody, Trey Anastasio who helped write most of the music for the play,
was hand-delivered a custom designed Illumiringer guitar effects pedal by a fan, Dr. Blankenstein. The pedal’s characteristics
are quite extraordinary, with the entire pedal being created with Anastasio in mind — inside and out. Blankenstein worked on
the pedal for over a year and explains in detail on Paste Bin what each feature does.
Jedi-Trey fans will want to read this.

This is the one Trey really influenced A LOT! The motion / light sensor. It is turned on with the middle stomp switch.
The actual sensor is located above it. WELL… we have all seen Trey do his Jedi thing with his guitar…he controls the tone with the whammy pedal.
I thought “why not be able to actually control the tone with those movements”. A year later… here it is.
But it’s better… if you flash a flashlight or laser into it slowly… you can get Theremin style pitch swells.
Use a strobe light.. wild oscillations will occur.. control the speed with the flashing. Think of the fun that can happen with a little practice with CK5.
Any object that breaks the lights beam to the sensor will change the guitar tone…. more light… wider the range.

It’ll be interesting to see / hear if Trey incorporates this new tool into his arsenal for Summer Tour.
The light beam / tone controlled feature must have had Trey’s eyes as wide as they could go.
Can’t wait to find out! Kudos to Dr. Blankenstein for his impeccable timing — just in time for the new Phish album!

:o :shock: :clap:
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby vwdeadhead » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:11 pm

I love the tone Trey is getting this tour. I agree with an above post about it sounding more 97-98ish. I am glad he is back to the last guitar as well. The Oceldoc wasn't my favorite at all, again as stated above, super hot and just overpowering. Gorgeous, but not my favorite.
vwdeadhead

Postby delayloop » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:13 am

Seems like he's changed his tone since SPAC. I heard more depth and warmth in the Chicago and Gorge webcasts. Perhaps he wanted to try single coil and now is remembering how much he enjoys the fullness of his tone. Reminds me of the surfing analogy and that "knowing your gear is better than having really good gear"

I mean come on, it's a Languedoc and a Mesa head!
Southern Phish
delayloop

Postby Brother » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:39 am

whats the surfing analogy?
Brother

Postby carolinadave » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:32 pm

Page has got to have Fish and Mike in his monitor. There's no way he's hearing them clearly from that far away. I think Trey's the only one who doesn't have anything in his monitors but vocals. Mike probably just has vox & Page in his monitors, and Trey coming through the Princeton.

I went to Bangor, and both Alpharettas, and couch-toured Chi-town, and it seems like they are picking up on musical cues from each other quicker and quicker as the tour goes on. I think it took a minute to get used to it sounding like practice on stage (sans crowd), but they seem to have it dailed in at his point. I can't wait to hear what the 2nd and 3rd nights at Graham sound like.
2013 (Finally!) 1st set: Bangor, GAx2 2nd set: Hampton 1&3, Reading > ACX3
carolinadave

Postby delayloop » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:25 pm

Brother wrote:whats the surfing analogy?

Trey's talked a few times in interviews about how playing music is like surfing. You can either go along with the wave or go against it, and when you learn how to go with the wave and "surrender to the flow" so to speak, that's when you let the music play you and flow through you.

Thought it was similar to trying to make drastic changes to one's guitar tone, when ultimately you know what works best in that lineup of musicians.
Southern Phish
delayloop

Postby Brother » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:19 pm

Ah I see. I agree about tone and the lineup one is playing with. One thing I've always admired about Phish is how clean, defined, unique, and separate their tones are.
Brother

Postby twist2piper » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:35 am

Wow, I have to post! I have gotten more out of this thread than any thread in quite some time!! Great input and really well thought out responses! Thanks for all the in depth info... Awesome!
twist2piper

Postby ghost » Wed May 30, 2018 8:17 pm

I thought I had seen this on here somewhere before, but I couldn't find it. This is just the thread for it.

ghost
Human Being

Postby delayloop » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:32 pm

Also, this website exists now, if y'all haven't seen it.

Pretty much everything you ever need to know about his rigs . . . and more!

https://treysguitarrig.com/
Southern Phish
delayloop

Previous

Return to General Phish Discussion