Phish headlinig Lockn festival!

Discuss Phish!

Phish headlinig Lockn festival!

Postby johnwesleyharding » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:47 pm

Phis headlining 2 nights at Lockn Festival. With Ween, Umphreys, Gary Clark Jr, Galactic, and some others. Only festival appearance this summer. Probably why lockn decided to change dates from labor day weekend this year.
johnwesleyharding

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Phish headlinig Lockn festival!

Postby El Bastarde » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:39 pm

Wow, that's kind of stacked. Phish, Ween, Galactic, Lettuce, Tedeschi/Trucks, Umphreys. Pretty good.
El Bastarde

Postby goldenroad » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:01 am

Alright. Who else is in?! Nothing but Trey rocking with Gener all weekend. My god it's gonna get brown up in there!

You guys who have known me forever know my love and reverence for Ween, and to see those co-headlining spots, it's just.... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I can't imagine anything any more up my alley. Hope some more Pa are gonna make it out.
goldenroad
Undercover Wook

Postby gamecat » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:37 pm

Not to mention Vulfpeck!

Seriously, if you have not heard about this band or listened to any of their music you need to check them out.
Some of the funkiest white boys around right now.
They were some session musicians that got together to make their own band.
Saw them on Colbert about a month ago. They would be awesome to see live.

Check out some of their tunes:

youtube.com/vulf
gamecat
The Shepherd

Postby goldenroad » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:36 pm

Will definitely be giving them a listen.
goldenroad
Undercover Wook

Postby goldenroad » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:49 am

I'm not really the only one right?!! Who else is coming to this party?

Agreed upon handshake?

goldenroad
Undercover Wook

Postby henrietta » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:36 pm

I'm an hour and a half away.......skipping it. No desire to see Phish under that circumstance. I will wait for Fall and indoor Phish. :twisted:
henrietta

Postby Phinst » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:26 pm

henrietta wrote: I will wait for Fall and indoor Phish. :twisted:

Follow the lines going south :thumbup:
...Dip a ladle for a taste of her creation...& she knew that what she made...
would be the Finest in the Nation....

2016: Xcel Energy Ctr>Wrigley Phield(1), Deer Creek//Nashville(1)>
Alpharettax2
Phinst

Postby El Bastarde » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:36 pm

I'm an hour and a half away.......skipping it.

A half hour away? Yikes. You could just show up and then sleep at home. Could be pretty ideal. Oh well.

I'd go but I'm spending enough on shows as it is.
El Bastarde

Postby ladyphish » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:00 pm

^Hour and a half, not half an hour :-)

My husband keeps asking me if I want to go and it's a resounding hell no. He went to Lockn last year (my xmas present to him) and wants to go back so badly. I guess he figured Phish would be enough to entice me to go, but that's a big negative. I'm far too old and crotchety for a massive festival that isn't just for Phish. Large quantities of Phish fans I can handle, but other bands' fans not so much.

And festival sets are typically meh. They'll probably play mostly Fuego stuff anyway....yeah, no thanks!
I've been doing this a long time and have seen lots of changes most of which I can't fucking stand...but I still go anyway because I'm there for the MUSIC and so I tolerate all that other bullshit because I DO get the point. So there :-)
ladyphish
The No Good Pa

Postby goldenroad » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:46 pm

They'll probably play mostly Fuego stuff anyway....yeah, no thanks!

LOL. Whatever you have to tell yourself to justify missing the best shows of the summer I guess.
Sunday night Gamehenge > Harpua. You heard it here.

I'm far too old and crotchety

Obviously this is the real reason.
goldenroad
Undercover Wook

Postby ladyphish » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:27 pm

^LOL, whatever you need to tell yourself to justify outrageous ticket prices for mediocre setlists :wave:

I hope you're right and you do get a great show...however, the chances keep dwindling more and more with each album they put out.

Old and crotchety, table for one :-)
I've been doing this a long time and have seen lots of changes most of which I can't fucking stand...but I still go anyway because I'm there for the MUSIC and so I tolerate all that other bullshit because I DO get the point. So there :-)
ladyphish
The No Good Pa

Postby goldenroad » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:41 pm

$10/band is not a bad value proposition in my mind (and as they add more bands that value proposition only gets better). I wonder how many other Phish shows this summer will cost less than that. And I don't think the quality of Phish's albums determines the quality of their live performances, but whatever, at least if Phish plays poorly at Lockn, there are 30 other bands that can pick up the slack. If I travel that kind of distance for any other Phish shows and they blow it, then I'm just SOL. Also, I've never been to a bad Phish show, so I don't think these end-of-tour show in VA, where they always destroy, will be my first ones.

Anyway, I'm not trying to convince anyone to go to Lockn, but it'd just be cool to hang with some other Pa.
goldenroad
Undercover Wook

Postby ladyphish » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:24 am

I think the quality of the albums DO affect the live performances for the simple fact that they play the material often. I for one detest both the Joy and Fuego albums, so hearing more than one of each per show is a gracious plenty. Hearing 3 or more just ruins the entire show for me in all honesty. And before you say "then why go see them?", I'm not going to any shows this summer nor do I have plans to in the foreseeable future. NYE was kind of a realization that I can't overlook it anymore: they are absolutely going in a direction that I'm just not feeling...and that's okay. They don't play for me, and I want them to play whatever makes them happy even if I don't want to hear it :-) I will ALWAYS love them and I know I'll see them again some day, but for now, I'm good.

I really do hope you get that Harpua!
ladyphish
The No Good Pa

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:57 pm

Anyway, I'm not trying to convince anyone to go to Lockn, but it'd just be cool to hang with some other Pa.

I'd totally go but I've taken enough time off work for now. Had 10 days off in March and will have a few others in September...not to mention that soloing a festival can be a bit of a lonely experience. Lock'n looks pretty stacked. I'd be going for certainly more than just Phish.

I think the quality of the albums DO affect the live performances for the simple fact that they play the material often.

Perhaps, but it doesn't affect the jams at the end of those tunes...so it's certainly less of an issue if they play a song you're not that into.

But, at the same time...is it really the new songs and it's maybe you're just getting older and it just feels like more of a hassle to get to these shows? I can relate to that. I'd think that for any NORMAL band, hearing three or four songs off their new album is pretty standard (I just saw Iron Maiden and they played six)...so to say that Phish is doing something wrong in this way by playing new songs is kind of flawed thinking...it's holding these guys to a higher standard than another band and in an unfair way. We wouldn't hate on another band for playing a few new songs off a new album and it certainly wouldn't be a reason to not go. Are you sure it's maybe you're not just feeling it as much anymore and you're searching for reasons why? It can't be something as silly as a few new songs.
El Bastarde

Postby ladyphish » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:41 pm

But, at the same time...is it really the new songs and it's maybe you're just getting older and it just feels like more of a hassle to get to these shows?

Huh? I'm more than happy to go to the shows, but I don't want to hear "Halfway to the Moon" or "Ocelot" when I get there because they bore the shit out of me. Just my prerogative. Nothing more.

so to say that Phish is doing something wrong in this way by playing new songs is kind of flawed thinking...it's holding these guys to a higher standard than another band and in an unfair way.

You mean there are other bands besides Phish??!! :-)
I didn't say they were doing anything wrong. I said I don't like the last 2 albums and they are playing more of it each show than I can stomach. I definitely said I want them to play whatever makes them happy whether or not I like it.

It can't be something as silly as a few new songs.

Actually it can be...but it's 2 whole albums worth, not just a few. I can't help it. Both albums have a lot of slow to mid-tempo tunes that bore me to tears. Every show I've been to where these tunes have been played immediately tore down any energy they'd built up. Minus Kill Devil Falls and a couple of others, they're mostly piss break songs.

Disclaimer:
This is just MY opinion. If you like those albums, you're lucky. I wish I did!
ladyphish
The No Good Pa

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:19 pm

Actually it can be...but it's 2 whole albums worth, not just a few. I can't help it.

I suppose...but I still can't imagine a few dud songs you dislike making the entire thing unwatchable. Every show has a few songs you're not that into...but the rest makes up for it. And even on the dud songs you often get some nice jams. I guess that's just me.
El Bastarde

Postby ladyphish » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:03 pm

19 duds is not "a few" lol.
ladyphish
The No Good Pa

Postby willbreathes » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:40 pm

At this point, Ocelot is older than Farmhouse was during the 03-04 era.

Think about that one.
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby Phinst » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:16 pm

I think the quality of the albums DO affect the live performances for the simple fact that they play the material often.

Live:
relating to a musical performance given in concert, not on a recording.

Good thing Phish isn't like most bands, who have to play numerous songs off a new album for the whole tour.

We don't get that many new songs in retrospect, besides Fuego(song) the first tour after album was released.

But hey if you don't like the songs, that's cool.

It is interesting though how they have just played one of their best tours and I don't think I'm alone on this.

Have you tried Mercury, Blaze On or No Man In No Mans land?

Hope you get back on that train :thumbup:
...Dip a ladle for a taste of her creation...& she knew that what she made...
would be the Finest in the Nation....

2016: Xcel Energy Ctr>Wrigley Phield(1), Deer Creek//Nashville(1)>
Alpharettax2
Phinst

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:08 pm

19 duds is not "a few" lol.

But they're not all played in the same show. I don't get why you'd dislike seeing them entirely over what will maybe be three or four songs in a show with 20+ songs.

Isn't this how EVERY concert works?...I'd say most shows I see have three or four songs I'm not as into. But the rest make up for it. And it's not like the jams on those new songs can't be good. I used to greatly dislike Birds of a Feather and still do to an extent...but when I got a 23-minute version in Columbus, it was hard to complain. There's a number of Phish tunes I wasn't into until I heard them live and I finally "got it." You've gotta give these songs a chance to surprise you.

It is interesting though how they have just played one of their best tours and I don't think I'm alone on this.

The last two years have been fantastic. Folks not going are missing out.
El Bastarde

Postby Harpua » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:38 pm

ladyphish wrote: I for one detest both the Joy and Fuego albums, so hearing more than one of each per show is a gracious plenty. Hearing 3 or more just ruins the entire show for me in all honesty.

I kind of agree with this statement. The first set at KC was : Gumbo > Kill Devil Falls, Back on the Train, Bouncing Around the Room, Divided Sky, The Last Step[1], Blaze On, Waiting All Night, 46 Days

Pretty much killed the entire show for me. I don't mind Blaze On or Waiting all Night, but after The Last Step they needed a much better pallet cleanser.

El Bastarde wrote:It is interesting though how they have just played one of their best tours and I don't think I'm alone on this.

The last two years have been fantastic. Folks not going are missing out.

I agree with all of this. Best Phish since '03. ( Some would argue since 1.0)
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby El Bastarde » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:28 pm

Pretty much killed the entire show for me. I don't mind Blaze On or Waiting all Night, but after The Last Step they needed a much better pallet cleanser

I'd say that's more a case of song placement rather than the songs themselves. I'd agree they could space it out a little better at times but I suppose this a pitfall of them likely not doing a clearcut setlist.
El Bastarde

Postby ladyphish » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:46 am

There's a number of Phish tunes I wasn't into until I heard them live and I finally "got it." You've gotta give these songs a chance to surprise you.

Huh? I've only heard them live. God knows I wouldn't buy this studio garbage. To paraphrase Trey, I'd give my left nut to hear any of the songs I thought I was tired of for the rest of my life, if it meant I never had to hear any of Joy or Fuego again :-)

Just so we're clear, I'm not including the Chilling, Thrilling...tunes in the new song disdain because they're all pretty awesome and I would be happy to hear them any time :thumbup:
ladyphish
The No Good Pa

Postby The Ubiquitous Smokey » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:58 pm

I agree with The Nonnie, take the Joy and Fuego tunes and blow them out yer ass.

The new songs from last year and Halloween Fourteen are just dreamy in my opinion.

Hopefully the new tunes on the album that we haven't heard (according to Fish) will be stellar.

:wave: Hi Pa
The Ubiquitous Smokey
East Side Jedi

Next

Return to General Phish Discussion