Phish headlinig Lockn festival!

Discuss Phish!

Re: Phish headlinig Lockn festival!

Postby Harpua » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:23 pm

^ I liked that post so much I took a screen shot and sent it to most of the Phans I know.
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Phinst » Thu May 12, 2016 8:02 pm

...Dip a ladle for a taste of her creation...& she knew that what she made...
would be the Finest in the Nation....

2017: Chicago x2: Dayton>Pittsburgh
Phinst

Postby goldenroad » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:50 pm

Lesh just got added for Saturday and Sunday. 8-) 8-) 8-)
goldenroad
Undercover Wook

Postby goldenroad » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:50 pm

Fucking heady Phil Lesh lineups for Lockn' Announced!

SATURDAY AUGUST 27: Phil Lesh & Friends

Featuring Jon Fishman, Page McConnell, Joe Russo & The Infamous Stringdusters

SUNDAY AUGUST 28: Phil Lesh & Friends

Featuring Chris Robinson Brotherhood with special guest sit-in by Gary Clark Jr

Fish and Russo!!! Gonna be maniacal!! So, if Page and Fish are sitting in with Phil, I wonder what Mike and Trey have planned.
goldenroad
Undercover Wook

Postby willbreathes » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:31 pm

GRAB reunion, confirmed.
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby El Bastarde » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:14 pm

Anyone notice that Ween is scheduled right before Phish on Friday? Given how much Trey loves those guys, it's probably the best chance ever to get them to join our boys on stage. Could be interesting.
El Bastarde

Postby Katiemay » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:49 pm

Katiemay

Postby El Bastarde » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:16 pm

I read http://nugs.tv/ is doing the same...might even be the same feed.

I believe live Phish will be doing the Phish sets too.

Should be a fun weekend. Looking forward to Umphrey's tonight, da Phish on Friday/Sunday, then that Phil & Friends>Tedeshi/Trucks thing on Saturday night looks excellent...My Morning Jacket is on after them and I've never really heard much of them so maybe I'll check that out too.
El Bastarde

Postby goldenroad » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:07 pm

Screw it...I wrote like 10 paragraphs, but it's just rambling and nobody will read it.

I'll just say; it was fucking hot. The music was amazing.

And I'll just rank my favorite shows:

1) Ween (Thursday)
2) Phish (Friday)
3) JRAD (Thursday)
4) Phish (Sunday)
5) Tedeschi Trucks Band
6) Ween (Friday)
7) Vulfpeck (Thursday)
8) JRAD (Friday)
9) Phil and Friends (Sunday)
10) My Morning Jacket

I know Ween isn't everyone's cup of tea, but...whatever, you guys know how I feel about Ween, and that Thursday show was by far the brownest they've gotten since being back together. Phish was great, but the impact of seeing Ween again live, for me, was the greatest moment of the festival. Also, if you guys live anywhere near where JRAD is playing ever, you have to go. And My Morning Jacket is a way better live band than I would have ever given them credit for.

Anyway...you guys have fun at Dicks or on the couch, doing it up. See ya in Vegas.
goldenroad
Undercover Wook

Postby El Bastarde » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:23 pm

Hey, GR...I streamed most of Lockn for the weekend and saw a bunch of those acts. I checked out most of the Thursday Ween set and I could see why they seem to have this jamband connection since they certainly jam those tunes. Though, how anyone can put Ween above that Friday Phish set is beyond me...that was Phish planting their flag at that festival.

I've heard about Vulpeck and I kinda find both of the main dudes a lil annoying...but I liked their Friday set a lot more than the Thursday one...just less jabbering and more jamming. They're also one of those bands that are better when I don't actually look at them so I don't know what to say there.

Glad you ranked TTB so high since, I agree, that set was sick. I'd also agree that JRAD was pretty impressive as I caught most of both sets, especially since the stream seemed to like replaying them.

For My Morning Jacket, I had basically heard none of them in any capacity and was really impressed by that set. Had no idea what they sounded like.

I'd also rank the sets by Chris Robinson, Galactic, The Wailers and Turkuaz as among my favorites. I'm even considering seeing Robinson's band since they're coming here in a month or two...
El Bastarde

Postby goldenroad » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:54 pm

Though, how anyone can put Ween above that Friday Phish set is beyond me...that was Phish planting their flag at that festival.

It really comes down to the setlist man. As much as that Phish setlist was great, the Ween setlist was basically the equivalent of Phish playing Harpua, Forbins, Icculus, Destiny Unbound, FYF, Fluffhead and Tela all in one show (and one of their first shows coming back). I'm saying they dug deep and played those cuts that only the hardest core Ween fans are really going to "get" the importance of. Again though it's totally a personal thing. If Lockn were my first Phish shows in 10 years, I'd probably put them both at the number 1 and 2 spots on my list. Nothing objective about this at all. Just how these shows made me feel.

To me it did not feel like they had that "jamband connection" at all. That field basically emptied out by the end of that Thursday show (though I do feel they won some fans back on Friday). I heard lots of bitching and complaining about Ween "ruining the vibe" of the festival, including from some of my camping neighbors who simply said that they "were not impressed" and that "Shapiro will probably never make the mistake of having them play again". LOL. Whatever. People that only listen to jambands are not people who's opinions on music I put a ton of stock into.

Also, from where I was watching Ween on Friday I had a perfect little vantage point to watch Trey standing side stage watching them as well. I may have also shouted out "Hey Trey" and he looked out and gave me a peace sign before ducking down and kind of keeping out of view the rest of the set. Erin saw it though, she can vouch for me. The other cool thing on Friday is when I yelled out "Awesome Sound" to Ween, and Deaner looked out at me and said "I fucking love that song!". Ween are pretty fun dudes to interact with on stage.

This is how my post turned into 10 paragraphs though...so...

I've heard about Vulpeck and I kinda find both of the main dudes a lil annoying

Heard that from a lot of people too. I just found them to be great showmen and incredible musicians, though they basically played the same set, almost to a T that I streamed them playing at Bonnaroo, and they played it twice at Lockn, so I preferred the first show just because the second show repeated at least 3 or 4 songs. Regardless, they're great songs and I didn't mind hearing them twice at all. I really think Vulfpeck is going to be huge in the near future (whenever their next album drops). They have what it takes.

Glad you ranked TTB so high since, I agree, that set was sick.

It was really beautiful. One of those performances that just makes you feel great about life. They sounded amazing with Phil on Saturday as well. Probably the best part of that set.

I liked CRB and Turkuaz a lot too. I missed most of Galactic and the Wailers just because it was the hottest part of the day and I just couldn't do it. You should totally check out CRB. His band is really great and I thought they sounded amazing with Phil too. That Hard to Handle was one of my Sunday highlights for sure.
goldenroad
Undercover Wook

Postby El Bastarde » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:44 pm

the Ween setlist was basically the equivalent of Phish playing Harpua, Forbins, Icculus, Destiny Unbound, FYF, Fluffhead and Tela all in one show

I figured it was something like this especially since you love the guys so much. Glad you liked it. The Thursday set did have an "epic late-night feel" to it...especially since they hadn't done in it in a while and fans aren't sure when they're next around (though I see that Dean Ween is touring this Fall).

But, at the same time, that Phish Friday second set may have one of the best of the year. So I figure peak Phish beats peak Ween.

To me it did not feel like they had that "jamband connection" at all.

I think I said that wrong but it feels like Ween gets mentioned in "jamband circles" a lot...I was just curious why this is and, after seeing that set, I can see why since they certainly jam. Given that I compared them to They Might Be Giants, the Ween live shows are definitely where those two bands differ since, while TMBG is sweet live, they don't play like that.

People that only listen to jambands are not people who's opinions on music I put a ton of stock into.

Yes, I heard some of this stuff at Dick's over the weekend. The jamband folks do seem to turn their nose up at more pedestrian bands. Very weird given that all their favorite jambands were heavily influenced by these more normal artists.

Also, from where I was watching Ween on Friday I had a perfect little vantage point to watch Trey standing side stage watching them as well.

I saw that in the chat. That's awesome. I'm still surprised one of the bands (Phish or Ween) didn't bring one of the other on stage. Even Umphrey's got Gene out there for a tune. (Speaking of, I wished we had gotten more than the one set from Umphrey's but they're on tour so they couldn't stay. Alas)

though they basically played the same set, almost to a T that I streamed them playing at Bonnaroo, and they played it twice at Lockn,

Oh, I wasn't aware...I only recognized the Funky Duck song being repeated between the two sets but they could have repeated a few of the instrumentals that I didn't notice. They weren't bad but compared to all the other super-talented bands there, they were a bit low on the totem pole.

It was really beautiful. One of those performances that just makes you feel great about life. They sounded amazing with Phil on Saturday as well.

Susan Tedeschi + Sugaree = Joy. I was SO jacked when I realized she was singing that. Just perfect.

You should totally check out CRB. His band is really great and I thought they sounded amazing with Phil too.

I just might. I saw both his set and the one with Phil's and I can definitely get down to that. I was never that big into the Black Crowes or any of that but I don't even know if CRB even plays that stuff anymore.
El Bastarde

Previous

Return to General Phish Discussion