New album! Big Boat! Oct. 7

Discuss Phish!

Re: New album! Big Boat! Oct. 7

Postby hosemasterflex » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:19 am

Yeah, there's really no sense talking about it, if you're not already wired this way / or me, yours.

To me the "profound" stuff is meaningless, whereas I find tremendous meaning in the older material. Maybe value is a better word, but the older lyrics are something I personally identify with quite strongly. I like it when the words are unusual, or really explore the language, or challenge tradition, or challenge thinking.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:59 pm

To me the "profound" stuff is meaningless, whereas I find tremendous meaning in the older material.

You sure it's not just nostalgia? We find more meaning in the stuff that got us into the band and less in the newer material. That's pretty natural for fans of any band.
El Bastarde

Postby hosemasterflex » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:29 am

Yeah man, I'm sure it's not just nostalgia. The value I derive is from its content, not from memories of my life during the time the songs first appeared.

The lyrical sensibility of this current trend of songs from Trey is specifically what I don't like, and that is definitely not a mistaken understanding of what I personally don't enjoy, via nostalgia or whatever.

I happily bought, and happily own, the Big Boat album. I will enjoy it, I'm sure. Right now I'm struggling with a handful of the Trey entries, cuz I think they're lousy tunes. So what though, you know? The irreverence and immediacy of their original songs, for a good decade, were amazingly on point by any standard. I wish it were still serving us as well as it once did, but I'm glad they're still at it.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby willbreathes » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:48 pm

I dislike the album, but I like the songs live.

Par for the course.
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Previous

Return to General Phish Discussion