Nice, thanks!!

Seems cool so far!
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: New album! Big Boat! Oct. 7

Postby El Bastarde » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:30 pm

So, they're on a boat?

Curious about what song that is playing as well.

(Off to pre-order!)

EDIT: Well, apparently I can't order it yet. What gives, Phish?
El Bastarde

Postby Phinst » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:13 pm

El Bastarde wrote:
Curious about what song that is playing as well.

Apparently it's a page tune and was sound checked at the Mann this summer
https://www.periscope.tv/w/1YqKDVdDEaQJV

starts somewhere in between the 3 and 6 min or so mark...

Also pulled this of .net fwiw

"The title "Big Boat" comes from the lyrics inside of "Friends". These songs have been registered with BMI, registration order has nothing to do with track order:"

20923933 no man in no mans land
20924018 how many people are you
22584207 blaze on
22584212 tide turns
22584218 miss you
22584320 friends
22584221 things people do
22584256 shade
22584307 waking up dead
22584327 ass handed
22614284 breath and burning

They may have a few more to be added and maybe some will be taken off, but i think this is close

Here is what we do know

"The album art was created in 2008 by Beijing-based artist Fang Er as part of her Don’t Touch Me! series. The image selected by Phish for the Big Boat cover art is titled Don’t Touch Me! #12. Other prints in the series can be viewed via Shanghai’s M97 Gallery, which described the series like this:"

"By carefully manipulating and reconstructing these buildings, Fang Er revives the loss of symmetry and proportion that is absent within present day China in her series Don’t Touch Me!. She is “sensitive” to the perpetual transformation amongst the constant chaos and discord that exists in a burgeoning country. In an unconventional way she is able to anthropomorphize these buildings, giving them humanistic qualities resulting in abstract, delicate alien-like figures."

Today, Rolling Stone published a Fall Preview which includes Big Boat among the LP’s detailed. The brief piece reveals “Miss You” will be featured on the album:

http://www.jambase.com/article/details-regarding-phishs-new-album-big-boat-emerge
...Dip a ladle for a taste of her creation...& she knew that what she made...
would be the Finest in the Nation....

2016: Xcel Energy Ctr>Wrigley Phield(1), Deer Creek//Nashville(1)>
Alpharettax2
Phinst

Postby El Bastarde » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:32 pm

She is “sensitive” to the perpetual transformation amongst the constant chaos and discord that exists in a burgeoning country. In an unconventional way she is able to anthropomorphize these buildings, giving them humanistic qualities resulting in abstract, delicate alien-like figures."

Meanwhile, us normal people are like "Wow, that's a neat-looking boat!" and then never give it another thought.

The brief piece reveals “Miss You” will be featured on the album:

Until now, I had assumed that the "Miss You" I saw on the setlists was a Rolling Stones cover. How funny.
Last edited by El Bastarde on Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
El Bastarde

Postby Harpua » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:52 am

Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby delayloop » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:30 pm

http://livemusicblog.com/2016/09/12/itunes-posts-tracklist-for-phishs-13th-studio-album-big-boat/

ITUNES POSTS TRACKLIST FOR PHISH’S 13TH STUDIO ALBUM ‘BIG BOAT’

Very late Monday night, iTunes released the entire tracklist for Phish’s 13th studio album ‘Big Boat’ (due 10/7) along with the option to buy the first single “Breath and Burning.” The 13 tracks were listed for just a few minutes but long enough for fans to take a screen grab and begin discussing why “Mercury” and “Steam” weren’t included and if “Asshanded” would be a secret bonus track. Here’s the ‘Big Boat’ breakdown:

PHISH | BIG BOAT
01. Friends (3:42)
02. Breath and Burning (4:20)
03. Home (6:26)
04. Blaze On (4:20)
05. Tide Turns (4:21)
06. Things People Do (1:54)
07. Waking Up Dead (4:15)
08. Running Out of Time (3:32)
09. No Men in No Man’s Land (4:59)
10. Miss You (7:01)
11. I Always Wanted It this Way (4:29)
12. More (4:22)
13. Petrichor (13:32)

Phish keeps their humor alive as “Blaze On” boasts a track time of 4:20. Despite no “Mercury” or “Steam”, a welcome surprise to many should be the inclusion of the 13-minute composition “Petrichor.” This is from Trey Anastasio’s Orchestra tour in 2014. Check out the performance with the LA Philharmonic in September 2014. Also of note is “Home”, a Page McConnell original which was part of a Phish soundcheck earlier this summer in Philadelphia.

We’ll have details on the pre-order and vinyl packages once Phish officially gives word.
Southern Phish
delayloop

Postby delayloop » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:44 am

PS I'm sure everyone's going to love "Petrichor" as much as TTE. :crazy:
Southern Phish
delayloop

Postby willbreathes » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:28 am

I realize I am not everyone, but I really like TTE.

The biggest bummer about that song is how the place empties out. That takes my energy away way more than the song itself.
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby El Bastarde » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:46 pm

^I find that Wingsuit has this effect too. It has a sweet jam but, man, folks just start bailing when it starts.

I'm curious to hear this Petrichor. It's kinda of nice to get a new album with a few songs that I haven't already heard a bunch of times from live shows.
El Bastarde

Postby delayloop » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:57 pm

willbreathes wrote:I realize I am not everyone, but I really like TTE.

The biggest bummer about that song is how the place empties out. That takes my energy away way more than the song itself.

Agree 100%, and I also love the Phish version more than the orchestral version. I just meant that the last time they tagged a long composition at the end of an album that was a Phish arrangement of a Trey orchestral piece, it sank.

Also, why no Mercury or Shade? Both beautiful tunes.
Southern Phish
delayloop

Postby El Bastarde » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:49 pm

^I was very surprised about a lack of Mercury. That seems like a song that was just begging for the studio treatment. It's got so many parts that it can be hard to remember so I was hoping for a "cleaned up" version so I could get a grasp on it.
El Bastarde

Postby delayloop » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:32 pm

El Bastarde wrote:^I was very surprised about a lack of Mercury. That seems like a song that was just begging for the studio treatment. It's got so many parts that it can be hard to remember so I was hoping for a "cleaned up" version so I could get a grasp on it.

Me too. First vibe I got was "studio," maybe because I heard some Rhodes from Page in there . . . 8-)
Southern Phish
delayloop

Postby willbreathes » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:51 pm

I like the horn addition to Breath and Burning.
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby Harpua » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:37 am

The horns are reminiscent of Van Morrison.
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby The Ubiquitous Smokey » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:25 pm

Big Goat will be amaze balls

The Ubiquitous Smokey
East Side Jedi

Postby hosemasterflex » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:57 pm

Preordered the vinyl last night.

My first time hearing Breath & Burning. I'm gonna have to start all over with this song, and find a way to accept it for what it is ... my first impression wasn't good. I like the Page line kinda though. But this is maybe a perfect example of what some are calling Dad Rock. I really want to like it, but I probably sound like such a hater. Oh well. I won't lie to myself and pretend I love it. It could sure be worse, to be real fair about it. Anyway it's relative; I bought the record, you know? Hell my new song is so retarded my wife and I fought about how retarded it is.

Although why no Steam, or How Many People Are You? ... two of my favorite 3.0 tunes.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby Harpua » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:45 am

~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby delayloop » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:43 pm

hosemasterflex wrote:Preordered the vinyl last night.

My first time hearing Breath & Burning. I'm gonna have to start all over with this song, and find a way to accept it for what it is ... my first impression wasn't good. I like the Page line kinda though. But this is maybe a perfect example of what some are calling Dad Rock.

I think it's perfectly ok to have this opinion of a lot of the tunes they play. I think Trey knows the Phish crowd, but I can't imagine him really knowing the "TAB" crowd. Why? Because there isn't a TAB crowd. It's people who like Phish who will go see Trey (and have a blast! But would they trade it for a Phish show?)

So what I think we're seeing here is that Trey is approaching Phish albums with the same "this is mine and I hope you like it" attitude that he uses with TAB albums instead of an enthusiasm for adding to the excitement of what "Phish" really is. Instead of "our last album showcased as many different styles as we could think of, so this one will be a well thought-out narrative" (a la "Rift") we're getting "I wrote this simple, profound song for my wife and I think you guys (Mike, Page, Fish) will understand (and they do) and get into what it means to be a sober 50 year-old" not really noticing that "Summer of '89" isn't meant for us or for Phish. It seems like they'd rather be in control of what Phish means to them than to accept its special-ness.

That actually means being more creative with what you know works. "How can we write a new song worthy of a Phish show?" I know they are asking that, because we get gems like "Steam" and "Mercury" and "No Man's." It just doesn't seem to be happening as consistently as we'd like.
Southern Phish
delayloop

Postby hosemasterflex » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:17 pm

What a great post! I've sorta been dreading whatever response I'd get for saying all that, but this one rules. Very well articulated. And of course I agree. It's as if his bandmates don't have the heart to confront him about these tunes, or maybe they just like playing songs that Trey is excited about in general...

I am glad that I like it more than the pair of tunes from Fuego that bug me ... and speakin o' Bug, that reminds me that Phish songs that scream "ordinary" and sometimes make me scream "wtf are you even talkin about dude" ... are nothing new.

But suddenly it's simplistic feel-good lyrics, that sound more suited to little kids at church camp, than to a person such as myself. That's taking it too far!!

I was okay with realizing they weren't gonna be silly anymore. Then I tried to get comfortable with no more detailed composed sections. Then I had to get used to, okay, now every so often they're making songs that aren't even very interesting at all. I could deal with all of that. But it's the saccharine simplistic positivity in lyrics like "Light", "Joy", "BDtNL", "Devotion to a Dream", ... it just reminds me of all that lame Christian rock I can't stand. I'm down with Christianity, but they need to stick w/the hymnal.

I have a real hard time stomaching this new strain of Phish, and I'm glad someone can say to me, 'that's perfectly ok'! And I'm glad too, that I can probably expect a decent balance in the album, enough to enjoy it. I am more than glad that they've made these last few albums. It's just the handful of tunes that make me wince, that I wish were relegated to TAB.

Don't get me started on Mike Gordon's songwriting representation. Oh, how we could use more Mike lyrics on Phish albums these days.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:56 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeMXtQxmHnI
This I like!

Wow, surprised at this one. Where's all the "Oh no, they're going techno!" bedwetters?

I think Trey knows the Phish crowd, but I can't imagine him really knowing the "TAB" crowd.

A weird comment. If there is no TAB crowd, why does he need to know them? I would say Trey does more "normal songs" with TAB.

So what I think we're seeing here is that Trey is approaching Phish albums with the same "this is mine and I hope you like it" attitude that he uses with TAB albums

My take is that this is how they've always written music. Folks seem to think that because the songs are different then how they write the songs have changed. When actually I think it's just their influences and interests changing. I think these guys are always diving into music and listening to things and getting ideas and influences and they come from all angles. And, yeah, these guys are clearly older...it's not secret that bands think differently about song writing and write about different things when they're 50 as opposed to when they're 20...many seem to appreciate the things in their life a little more and that comes out in the music too. I don't think Phish writes anything "for" anybody. They put out songs they think sounds good and then they spring them on their audience...if the song "works" for them then it stays.

That actually means being more creative with what you know works. "How can we write a new song worthy of a Phish show?"

I'd certainly agree with this. Some songs are clearly written with "well this will be fun to play live" and others are "Well, this is an emotional song that I feel good when singing." I think other songs are ones that the band are just "feeling it" where that song seems to bring the best out of their playing. But to me, it's always about them. As it should be. You'll drive yourself crazy trying to write stuff for your audience...especially since different parts of their audience will like completely different things...you'll never please everyone.

It's as if his bandmates don't have the heart to confront him about these tunes, or maybe they just like playing songs that Trey is excited about in general...

It's easy to forget that the rest of the band is aging right along with Trey. Maybe those songs mean something to those guys as well...they've been through a lot of this together.

I was okay with realizing they weren't gonna be silly anymore.

Except they do. Just probably more in a live setting than on an album. Of course "Ass Handed" is still on the new album so it's still there. Just not as much. I think they have a lot of fun with the Disney songs live as well.

It's just the handful of tunes that make me wince,

But that works for me. I'm quite "meh" on Tide Turns as well...but I can't expect to like every song they do. I'd imagine for every band I like there will be a few songs on a new album that do nothing for me. So not liking a few new Phish songs isn't unusual.

Don't get me started on Mike Gordon's songwriting representation. Oh, how we could use more Mike lyrics on Phish albums these days.

His lyrics seem a little more down-to-Earth and less spirtual and stuff but I still often have no idea what he's writing about either. Not sure if I see a difference. I don't have a clue what most of these songs mean, really.
El Bastarde

Postby henrietta » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:03 pm

Had it for a few days......it sucks. :thumbdown:

https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/f5 ... 118/192eb0
henrietta

Postby Moma Dave » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:57 pm

KICK ASS studio record! :thumbup: :clap:
I'm left in the now with a wondrous glow
I think I'm still me but how would you know?
Moma Dave
Undercover Wook

Postby Phinst » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:46 pm

henrietta wrote:Had it for a few days......it sucks. :thumbdown:

https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/f5 ... 118/192eb0
Moma Dave wrote:KICK ASS studio record! :thumbup: :clap:
\

HAHA..
This seems to be the general consensus on what people are saying about the album..and for some reason I love this.. There are so many different approaches, songs and sounds to phish that people can find things they like and don't like..

Few things I have noticed others saying

It's overproduced

It's not phishy at all(a lot seem to like this different approach)

It's a great template for Live shows(I for one am not big on Breath and Burn, but loved it this summer esp the Mann show)

It's got everything(all members contribute.. it's weird, it has ballads, it has rockers)

Petrichor--Awesome

I'm sure I'll have more thoughts later. Can't wait to give it a proper listen
...Dip a ladle for a taste of her creation...& she knew that what she made...
would be the Finest in the Nation....

2016: Xcel Energy Ctr>Wrigley Phield(1), Deer Creek//Nashville(1)>
Alpharettax2
Phinst

Postby Harpua » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:22 pm

First listen (thanks Henrietta), I would call it hit or miss. Blaze On, NMiNML, Home, Waking up Dead, I Always Wanted It this Way are all pretty good. Tide Turns, Miss You, More, and Breath and Burning are all pretty Meh.

Petichor is interesting, and I liked it the first time through, but I also liked TTE the first time through, but by the time Toyota 09 rolled around, I truly disliked it. I have learned to stop trusting my first impression of Phish songs. I disliked Light, Waves, and Guyute the first time I heard them... :silent: :roll:
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Next

Return to General Phish Discussion