New album! Big Boat! Oct. 7

Discuss Phish!

Re: New album! Big Boat! Oct. 7

Postby Doemandoil » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:07 am

really nice album
Last edited by Doemandoil on Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doemandoil

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby PardonMe Doug » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:14 pm

I won't blast the album and say it sucks, but I will say I probably won't listen to it very often.

Trey's songs on this album are just terrible. I'm sorry to say it but they kind of make me want to wretch. :sick:

I never expect much from Page's songs as he's never been as creative as Trey or Mike when it comes to songwriting. Things People Do is what it is, Home has a nice section for the last two minutes or so, and I Always Wanted It This Way sounds like it belongs on Pokemon...for reals.

Petrichor is a great piece of music, but like TTE it won't translate well to what people like to see them do on stage. I hope they leave it on the album and not try it live.

I try to be reasonably positive when it comes to the Phish but this one just doesn't do it for me. Which is fine, glad some people like it and it won't change my love for the band and seeing them live...::puts on Dick's run to regroup::
PardonMe Doug

Postby The Ubiquitous Smokey » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:48 pm

:sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn: :sick: :cry: :yawn:
The Ubiquitous Smokey
East Side Jedi

Postby Phinst » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:07 pm

I like the Album, Little bit more with each listen.. Just wish it was just a little less overproduced, more like Trey's Paper wheels..

Friends- Not a good choice for the first song on the album, but I like it.. It;s different and It's Fish, so a Welcome change.. It has a Rock Opera sound to me, Reminds me sorta of the Who..

Breath and Burning- was not a fan of the studio version, but it's growing on me.. Def prefer it in the Live shows..
Mann!

Home- Great Page tune..I t has one of the more interesting instrumental/jam sections on a studio album...Looking forward to hearing this one live

Blaze On- Good fun tune.. We already know this one has been strong live

Tide Turns- Love this one.. It's got Soul.. Love the Trey guitar parts..

Things people do- It's ok.. I like the simple one instrument tune, would like to hear a little bluegrass jam come out of this..But could see this just for the album

Waking up dead- like this one..More so than Sugar Shack.. It's weird and It's mike.. has some interesting stuff going on in it

Running out of time- eh..I like the thought..Trying to be like a sleep or something, just not even close.

NMINML- kick's Ass

Miss you- Couldn't stand it when I heard it Live, Studio version is ok..But I'll pass on hearing it at the shows

I always wanted it this way- eh..Still trying to figure this one out.. I think I need to see it live to make a decision.Don't know where they are trying to go with this one..

More-Need to give this one another listen..

Petrichor- Awesome.. Not as good as TTE IMO , but different.. I also wonder how this will translate live, if they chose to play it..
...Dip a ladle for a taste of her creation...& she knew that what she made...
would be the Finest in the Nation....

2016: Xcel Energy Ctr>Wrigley Phield(1), Deer Creek//Nashville(1)>
Alpharettax2
Phinst

Postby delayloop » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:17 pm

Top picks: Home*, Blaze On, NMINML, Miss You
Not bad: Always Wanted* (but doesn't fit), Things People Do, Friends, Tide Turns, Breath and Burning
Meh: Running Out of Time, Waking Up Dead
UGH: More, Petrichor
Should have made the cut: Steam, Mercury

*=Can't wait to hear live

Overall, I think the album could have been more effective with better song placement to balance out the themes of lightness and depth. I also find the overtly Trey, Mike, and Page tunes (More, Waking Up Dead, Always Wanted) distracting to the cohesion of the record. Petrichor is a nice try, has nice moments, but ultimately just doesn't belong.

With the addition of the two un-recorded tunes, omission of some flops, and a track re-arrangement, this album could really be good.
Southern Phish
delayloop

Postby Brother » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:24 pm

I like Petrichor a lot! I dig the album overall. Trey's lyrics have me sarcastically asking, "I wonder what this song is about" which is :yawn: :lolno: .

Mike has a lot of great statements on the album, his tunes or otherwise. As an album I don't have much to say because I don't care too much about the album's cohesiveness but I even like the tunes that I didn't think I would like. Breath and Burning is stuck in my head. The album has a bit of Sam and Dave/Isley Brothers feel to it.

Things People Do...Love the recording style. This is Mike singing right with just solo bass? Or is this Page on a toy piano??

I Always Wanted It This Way does sound like a Pokemon song LOL but it also sounds like War on Drugs and some of that other indie-dancey-spacey stuff that's popular.

Waking Up Dead is dope.
Brother

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:57 pm

I'm being a good boy and waiting for the official album to be sent to me before I give it a listen. I'm not sure why.
El Bastarde

Postby Phinst » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:38 pm

Brother wrote:
Things People Do...Love the recording style. This is Mike singing right with just solo bass? Or is this Page on a toy piano??

It's Page.. But it makes you think twice..

Alpharettax2
Phinst

Postby willbreathes » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:02 pm

Going to be on Jimmy Fallon.

Thoughts on song choice?

Ass Handed??

I am in the same boat (pun intended) with el bastarde, waiting for it to be officially released to listen. That said, Breath and Burning would be awesome if The Roots jumped in on the horn section.

My preferred track would be No Mans...
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby El Bastarde » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:33 pm

^Meh, It'll probably be a disappointing Breath and Burning. Or a slightly more disappointing Tide Turns.
El Bastarde

Postby hosemasterflex » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:20 pm

I'm in the same big boat as youz

I got an email said it is shipping so I logged in to see if the download is available yet. Not til Friday.

I haven't heard most of these songs. Usually if they've played a new song live I'll get around to hearing it but for some reason I've only heard a few.

The most glaring omission, to me, is How Many People Are You? ... can't understand why that's not supposed to be on the new Phish album, rather than the next Mike solo record where I suppose it's likely to land.

I actually like that they are still leaving some killer material off the albums. I'm just surprised this tune didn't make it.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby hosemasterflex » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:42 pm

Oh I get it, it's shipping! Ha!
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby Phinst » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:19 pm

willbreathes wrote:Going to be on Jimmy Fallon.

Thoughts on song choice?

Ass Handed??

I am in the same boat (pun intended) with el bastarde, waiting for it to be officially released to listen. That said, Breath and Burning would be awesome if The Roots jumped in on the horn section.

My preferred track would be No Mans...

I think it will be

Breath and Burning
Tide Turns or Blaze On

Wild card would be More

As for me I would like NMINML Or Waking up Dead(not gonna happen)

Alpharettax2
Phinst

Postby goldenroad » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:07 am

I just want to say, I really enjoy the second half of this album. Everything from No Mans through Petrichor is really solid. More is definitely my sleeper hit of the album and the one I'm most looking forward to hearing live. I am not under the impression that they're going to "jam it out man"...but I think it could be a great opening (or first set closing) rocker. I Always Wanted it This Way is still by far my favourite song on the album, and maybe one of my overall favourite Phish studio recordings. I don't want studio Phish to sound like live Phish. I like when they fuck around. I'm not sure how the song would work live without the second percussionist, but I really want to see it.
goldenroad
Undercover Wook

Postby delayloop » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:13 pm

Well I just read two articles in the Wall Street Journal. In one of them, Trey says he listened to everything Ezrin told him, including that "Mercury" shouldn't be on the new album :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

So, who's going to get the other studio cuts that didn't make it? Cause I'm ready to make my own "Big Boat" album. . .

In all fairness, though, the album is growing on me. I've just never had such a visceral first-listen reaction to some of these tunes in the past.

The point is that these guys are making music together still, are friends, and care about us.
Southern Phish
delayloop

Postby themomadans » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:07 am

I like it more than I thought I would. Some of the cheesier songs I heard from summer show recordings so theyve had time to grow on me lol.
Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is the best
themomadans

Postby hosemasterflex » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:24 pm

I thought I'd have the record by now. Shipping was six bucks, I preordered, got an email Tuesday afternoon that they'd started shipping .... :think: Anyone else still waiting for their preorder?
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:11 pm

In one of them, Trey says he listened to everything Ezrin told him, including that "Mercury" shouldn't be on the new album

After the fine work on Fuego, it's hard to not listen to him.

Shipping was six bucks, I preordered, got an email Tuesday afternoon that they'd started shipping .... :think: Anyone else still waiting for their preorder?

I got my Big Boat on Saturday during the day. Came packed with a HUMONGOUS poster of the Big Boat cover...thing takes up like half a wall. Looks nice but have no idea what I'll do with it. Probably just end up in a drawer with the rest of the free Phish merchandise I get on album orders. Also managed to get a nice SBD of the Dick's run as well. Can't wait to listen to both all this week.
El Bastarde

Postby themomadans » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:05 pm

hosemasterflex wrote:I thought I'd have the record by now. Shipping was six bucks, I preordered, got an email Tuesday afternoon that they'd started shipping .... :think: Anyone else still waiting for their preorder?

I think I saw on Dry Goods that vinyl weren't shipping until some date in November if I'm not mistaken.
Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is the best
themomadans

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:34 pm

Finally got around to listening to Big Boat. I really dug it. I don't really worry about whether it sounds like their past stuff or what it means for the band but all I know is I like tunes when I hear them and I like most of these. So glad to get some good stuff from the band.

1. Friends - Still not great. Easily the worst song on the album. It's nice to hear the music a bit clearly and it has a bit of an Astronomy Domine feel with how the song kind of "flows" up and down but only if Astronomy Domine was weak and poorly sung. Just not big on it...I guess it's nice that it's first to get it out of the way but it's not a good album opener...or good at anything, really.

2. Breath and Burning - Love the horns. Kinda has a Caribbean feel for the first 30 seconds but that seems to go away later. It's a nice little tune and the album version keeps that going.

3. Home - I've had a long-standing theory that every song with the word "Home" in it ends up as one of the calmer and more chill songs by whatever artist made that song. A lot of bands fall into this pattern. Glad to see Phish break the mold with this one...I was surprised how it picked up and could have some legit jam potential. Me like.

4. Blaze On - It's Blaze On. Didn't change much with it and didn't need to. Love singing along to this. It's kinda fun hearing a new album and having a few tunes you can already sing along to.

5. Tide Turns - Wow. I did NOT like the live versions of this but the album version surprised me. Has a few changes with some heavier drums and it has a more soulful/R&B feel to it. The horns are wonderful for filling in parts that needed it. I still found myself rolling my eyes for the cheesy chorus but then found myself singing along as the song went on. Easily the most improved tune to me. Only bad part is the horns likely won't be part of many future live performances.

6. Things People Do - Ick. What happened? They take a fun, rare Page bluegrass tune and just stripped it down until there's almost nothing to it where it feels rushed. I don't get it. I just can't explain the things bands do to songs sometimes. I hope it retains the bluegrass sound live.

7. Waking Up Dead - Don't know what to make of this one. Even listened to it twice in a row since it didn't quite grab me the first time. Not bad but it's a strange tune.

8. Running Out of Time - Like this. I thought it'd be just a simple Trey acoustic and I really was pleased with how it perked up at the end there.

9. No Man's - Again, it's No Man's. A bit slower than the live version and the horns are nice. Could have used a lil more jamming to it but, meh, it's a studio version.

10. Miss You - Wow, this one floored me. I love the basic guitar chords that carry it through, the lyrics kinda hit me as something about a lost loved one (loved him repeating "I Miss You" a bunch of times in the verses). The solos were perfect and I liked them taking their time with the song. Very well done.

11. I Always Wanted it this Way - I like the overall beat and all but I kinda wish they did more with the song. It's mostly the same throughout. Like many, I see the potential for some fun live stuff. I can already hear the Phish snobs whining about them doing some "dance" music at shows.

12. More - Seems like a bit of a jam song with all the lyrics at the start and then some heavy guitar late. Found it to be pretty catchy.

13. Petrichor - I'm so glad the band is still pumping out songs like this. It's a little less ambitious than something like TTE but I like it for that. The music is beautiful at times, especially the middle section with the piano, horns and guitar that reminded me a little of Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday. The lyrics are really just to set up each musical section and it had a nice and satisfying ending. Good times.
El Bastarde

Postby delayloop » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:13 am

hosemasterflex wrote:I thought I'd have the record by now. Shipping was six bucks, I preordered, got an email Tuesday afternoon that they'd started shipping .... :think: Anyone else still waiting for their preorder?

Vinyl is going out mid-November.
Southern Phish
delayloop

Postby hosemasterflex » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:07 pm

themomadans wrote:I think I saw on Dry Goods that vinyl weren't shipping until some date in November if I'm not mistaken.

delayloop wrote:Vinyl is going out mid-November.

Thanks. First world panic averted. :angel:
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby El Bastarde » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:23 pm

Damn, I'm just liking this album more and more as I keep listening. Miss You is slowly becoming my favorite off the album. Easily one of my favorite ballads by them.
El Bastarde

Postby hosemasterflex » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:48 am

I want to like it, but really I'm kinda pissed off. :crazy: I feel a little crazy, cuz it's just an album. But I can't stand the lyrical style Trey's adopted in 3.0. I've tried to be cool. But I feel outright assaulted by content that is the stuff of my nightmares.
:(

I'll have to temper my attitude, cuz I hate to be that way. But at the same time, I need to be honest with myself. Or do I need to get over myself?
:eh:

I don't imagine it's fruitful to analyze exactly what bugs me specifically. If it bugs you too, then you know. If you don't, then I doubt I can articulate it adequately. And I'd just be pissin' in the Cheerios if I did.

I do like:
Friends (I think it's great! Unique and unassuming and fun ... )
NMiNML (straight up good Phish)
Blaze On's a'ight (is the Hands on Hardbody lady a cowriter on this?)

The rest I will learn to accept/tolerate. But I hestitate to allow that, because I am currently feeling protective of my sense of taste.
:|

And I'm generally such an advocate for new material. Starting to feel so conflicted. I WANT TO BE POSITIVE.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby hosemasterflex » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:15 am

In the Nice Things To Say column:

Miss You - seems like this one "works" -- not my cup of tea, but it's fair to say sometimes this style works. Similar feelings about "More": after the first listen. It kinda works. I don't like them, but they're better crafted than some of these others I'm struggling with.

Glad to see so much Page, although I'm not really bowled over so far by these songs.

Waking Up Dead's really pretty great.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

PreviousNext

Return to General Phish Discussion