Discuss Phish!

How America's Greatest Jamband Learned to Get Along

Postby delayloop » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:29 pm

Southern Phish
delayloop

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: How America's Greatest Jamband Learned to Get Along

Postby hosemasterflex » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:12 am

Read this last night, what a great article. Makes you realize how private they are about their inner workings. I wanna hear this 43 songs album.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby hosemasterflex » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:10 am

The bit that's still kinda kicking around in my head after reading it, is Mike's angle on his place in the band in the shadow of Trey. I sorta wish the dynamic between those two people were more collaborative instead of decidedly separate. Especially since it's practically obvious that they each have the qualities the other one lacks, in the songwriting department - the slightest bit of respectable tweaking as a team could really bring amazing results ... hypothetically of course! In reality their dynamic is its own real thing.

When I really boil it down though, the thing I'm most a fan of is where those two guys find common ground. In those old club shows, they were sharing a small space on stage every night, and they were just this two headed fretboard genius monster.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby El Bastarde » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:22 pm

Wow, cool read. Love them using the term of the "Betty Ford Clinic" for the afterparties. I've always wondered if any of the band still even smokes dope or not but I don't ever see mentions of it. With their kids around at shows, I guess probably not.

Also interesting on the Bob Ezrin thing...like how he's good as guy who can settle squabbles as an impartial third-party. Given how much I like Fuego and Big Boat, I can't deny he's helping.

The bit that's still kinda kicking around in my head after reading it, is Mike's angle on his place in the band in the shadow of Trey.

I was more surprised at Page and his "outsider" status for so long. Kinda makes you realize how impressive it is that these guys are still all together and how so many bands break up for reasons like this. We're pretty dang fortunate these guys have worked this stuff out.

I have many ideas

From your posts, it appears you have exactly one idea.
El Bastarde

Return to General Phish Discussion