St. Louis '93 Box

Discuss Phish!

St. Louis '93 Box

Postby Harpua » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:25 am

A 6-disc CD box set containing two live Phish concerts from 1993. 4/14/93 & 8/16/93 from the American Theater in St. Louis, MO. In 1993, Phish was touring following the release of their fourth album Rift, and rapidly expanding into colleges and theaters as word spread about their renowned live performances. St. Louis ’93 captures the band at two standout shows on consecutive tours at the 1,750-seat Beaux Arts style American Theatre. The first of the two American Theatre shows was April 14, 1993 - dubbed the “Roger Proposal” show when Trey’s old friend Roger Holloway decided to propose to his girlfriend Jennifer onstage. Trey and Roger conspired to make the proposal. Highlights of the April show included a creative Stash/Kung/Horse mash-up, Roger’s Proposal to open set II (she said “Yes”!) followed by AC/DC Bag and My Sweet One for the newly-engaged couple, You Enjoy Myself > Spooky > You Enjoy Myself, and a dreamy Harpua > Runaway Jim. The encore was dedicated to Roger and Jen “on the road of life.” Phish’s second show at the American took place August 16, 1993 during the legendary summer ’93 tour, which found the band taking exponentially bigger risks while exploring the outer limits of their repertoire. The August show kicked off with a non-stop sequence of Axilla > Possum > Horn > Reba > Sparkle. During I Didn’t Know, Fish used Voodoo and his Madonna washboard in an attempt to push back the waters of the Great Flood of 1993. Unique interstitial jams connected many of the songs in set I and added an extra element of mystery. The St. Louis Reba was an improvisational masterpiece. Possum, Foam and Split Open And Melt were all superb as was the only Mike’s Song > Faht > Weekapaug Groove combination ever played. St. Louis ’93 was recorded in stereo from the soundboard by Paul Languedoc and mastered by Fred Kevorkian. The 6-CD boxed set (also available as livephish.com streaming and downloads) will be released March 31, 2017 and is crucial listening for all Phish fans and their fiancés or fiancées.
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: St. Louis '93 Box

Postby Phinst » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:55 pm

aww yea!

My first show... :eh: :wtf: :crazy: :shock: :twisted:

8/16/93
AMERICAN THEATER
St. Louis , MO
SET 1: Axilla, Possum > Horn > Reba > Sparkle, Foam , I Didn't Know[1], Split Open and Melt , The Squirming Coil
SET 2: Mike's Song -> Faht[2] > Weekapaug Groove , Mound > It's Ice, My Friend, My Friend[3], Poor Heart, Big Ball Jam, Take the 'A' Train > Good Times Bad Times
-Amazing Grace[4], Rocky Top
[1] Fish on Madonna washboard.
[2] Fish on acoustic guitar.
[3] Beginning featured Trey on acoustic guitar.
[4] Without microphones.
------------------------------------------
Still in awe everytime I see this set list.. I really wish I could go back and understand and appreciate what i was seeing/hearing.. I just remeber "what the f is going on?" and My Mind is blown..

Btw They should go ahead and release all of august '93.. :D They were bringing the heat
...Dip a ladle for a taste of her creation...& she knew that what she made...
would be the Finest in the Nation....

2016: Xcel Energy Ctr>Wrigley Phield(1), Deer Creek//Nashville(1)>
Alpharettax2
Phinst

Postby Harpua » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:18 pm

That is a ridiculous first show to attend! Easy to see how you got hooked.

This will be the third show from August 1993 released. The previous two being: 8/13/93 - Murat Theatre & 8/14/1993 - World Music Theatre. The latter holds a special place in my heart as it was the first show I ever heard (nearly 10 years after it was performed.)
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby Harpua » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:38 pm

Drygoods sent me a ship notification yesterday!

I am looking forward to jamming out to this. I have not heard these shows yet, but 93 is prime "Machine Gun Trey," so expectations are high.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby El Bastarde » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:31 pm

Aww man, wish I could have seen the washboard.
El Bastarde

Return to General Phish Discussion