Phish confessions

Discuss Phish!

Re: Phish confessions

Postby willbreathes » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:45 am

Just watched the Steam>Auld Lang Syne>DWD from NYE for the first time. Can't fucking wait until Sunday.
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby KDF4LYPHE » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:50 am

Cripes you are really excited, aren't you?
I LOOK TO THE STARS AND THE ANSWER IS CLEAR
I LOOK IN THE MIRROR AND SEE WHAT I FEAR
KDF4LYPHE
_________

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby willbreathes » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:09 am

KDF4LYPHE wrote:Cripes you are really excited, aren't you?

1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby Guelah » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:18 am

Haaaaahahaha

It was great running into you Will. You were cracking me up.
"2014 Great year...2015...Better year!" -Trip Anti-acid
Guelah
Teh_Southern Pa

Postby TanasRoot » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:12 am

i'm liking how they're playing Heavy Things this summer and kinda hope they push it even further. :shifty:
"I'm not making this up..."
TanasRoot

Postby GratefulPhish » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:07 am

I don't like Birds of a Feather...I sat during it at Oak Mtn, I'm not sure why or what makes it so different to me than other second set rockers
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Postby Katiemay » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:01 pm

^I have always felt the same. Never excited me.
Katiemay

Postby TanasRoot » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:14 pm

^ + ^^ yall should hear 11/11/98 ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtU_FNgl ... ge#t=2233s

i even set the time marker for ya :thumbup:
"I'm not making this up..."
TanasRoot

Postby GratefulPhish » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:12 am

I'm not necessarily saying it hasn't carried great jams, in 98 in particularly, but the composed part at the beginning that probably sounded like a great kick in the pants to them when they wrote it or even still today, does nothing for me

edit: but I do like the lyrics, not necessarily the way their sung though
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Postby mafujon » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:39 am

^Me Three

Also I am not a huge fan of funky bitch anymore. Too overplayed.
“Those who dance are considered insane by those who cannot hear the music.”
― George Carlin
mafujon

Postby hosemasterflex » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:22 am

This is weird. I gotta say, I finally started to absorb the Clockwork Angels album, and while I do like it, I have to confess, if only to myself, that I don't dig where Neil Peart's lyrics have gone off to. Lots of cliches and just a lousy attitude IMO. There I've said it. Weird though in a Phish confessions thread though, right? That's what I was saying. :think:
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby cincyreba » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:36 pm

although i'm a huge cactus fan... i'm not a fan of mike's song... but in the same respect it usually turns into something amazing by the time it segs into something else
Just relax... you're doin' fine
cincyreba

Postby Harpua » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:54 am

I like Page's new shirt.
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby GratefulPhish » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:46 am

I feel very weird about the prospect of skipping Hampton

I don't know if that's a confession, but I'm putting it here
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Postby Harpua » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:29 pm

I haven't listened to Fuego, but I enjoy songs off Joy more than songs off Fuego.

Winterqueen is my favorite song off Fuego.

I think the lyric "Happy Happy oh my friend " is horrible, but I really like the rest of the song.

I don't look at setlists for weeks before I go to a show. That way I don't have a clue what I am going to see, and it makes for a much more enjoyable experience.

I think that as a whole 2014 has been Phish's best 3.0 year, but I still prefer 2003.
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby El Bastarde » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:06 pm

I think the lyric "Happy Happy oh my friend " is horrible, but I really like the rest of the song.

BDTNL has slowly become one of my favorite second set songs...they're really stepping up the jams on that one.

I don't look at setlists for weeks before I go to a show. That way I don't have a clue what I am going to see, and it makes for a much more enjoyable experience.

I do this for basically every other artist I see...I never want to know. Doing it for Phish isn't quite as bad outside of it telling the songs they will likely NOT play.
El Bastarde

Postby Brother » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:25 pm

I am very meh about Moma Dance but I love Devotion to a Dream.
Brother

Postby piper » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:08 pm

^ :shock:
piper

Postby jawbone » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:46 pm

Brother wrote:I am very meh about Moma Dance but I love Devotion to a Dream.

Ain't nothing wrong with that. I like both, though I have no strong feelings toward either, and prefer the former. Last night when they started Moma as an encore I was a little thrown off and hoping there would be something to come later, though it is always nice when it is dropped in its usual early-first-set position.
[#42?] nothin' shakin' but the leaves on the trees
jawbone
Skunk Ape Expatriate

Postby Harpua » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:12 pm

I have new confessions:

Even though I care less about which songs I hear these days, if I go to a show and it contains a Wingsuit, it negatively (and significantly) affects my opinion of that entire show. Even shows like 8.7.2015 & 7.15.2017 (two shows that are great by nearly all definitions) lose points for having a Wingsuit. I rank both of those shows in my top 5 (of shows seen), but they would probably be my #1 and #2 (respectively) if they just didn't play Wingsuit and the set break was 10 minutes longer. Let that statement sink in.

Since its debut, I have seen Fuego at 40% of the shows I have attended. Nearly every Fuego I have seen brought a jam to a screeching halt (8.8.2015 being a fairly obvious exception). As a result, I think of Fuego as a set disruptor / jam killer. I don't unconditionally loathe the song like I do Wingsuit, but I do wish they would either: A) make it a predominately first set song; B) make it a second set opener rather than a mid-set tune.

I have seen Phish play Piper more times than I have seen them play any other song, but I don't remember a single one. I went back and read some of my show reviews, and found that I only have given praise to one Piper that I have seen, and that was Northerly Island 2013, but even that one I don't remember. This does remind me that I need to go back and listen to SPAC 2004 again!

I didn't see DWD in 2017, and after getting 4 in 7 shows, I am totally ok with that. (In person that is. I did see MSG & Dicks via webcast)

I thought 10 of the 13 Baker's Dozen shows deserved 4 to 5 star ratings, but there is one show from the BD (that currently has a rating > 4.3) that I wouldn't give a 3.5. Which show? Holes. Trey and Fish were super sloppy all the way through Meat. Despite the great Mike's and Taste, I don't consider this a great show, because the first 35 - 40 minutes were absolutely cringe worthy.

From a few years ago:
Harpua wrote: I think that as a whole 2014 has been Phish's best 3.0 year, but I still prefer 2003.

Just wait till you hear 2015 & 2017, my man. Equal to, if not greater than, 2003.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby El Bastarde » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:43 pm

if I go to a show and it contains a Wingsuit, it negatively (and significantly) affects my opinion of that entire show.

You should stop doing that. :mrgreen: I mean Fleetwood Mac plays Dreams and Gypsy every time I see them and I hate those songs and use them for piss breaks but it sure doesn't make the entire show worse.

Since its debut, I have seen Fuego at 40% of the shows I have attended. Nearly every Fuego I have seen brought a jam to a screeching halt

Not sure what you mean by it "bringing the jam to a halt." Like they were actually going to jam it out for another 20 minutes but then "ruined it" by starting Fuego?...fans have a strange perception that something is "lost" when a jam segues into a song and I'm not so sure it's true. If the band thought the jam had legs, they'd continue it...the fact that they're seguing means the band decided it had run its course. Also strange given that Fuego's created many awesome jams itself.

I have seen Phish play Piper more times than I have seen them play any other song, but I don't remember a single one.

Seems normal. Piper, more than anything, just acts as some "jam continuation" tune these days. It's just a gateway to more yams. I remember some high energy early Pipers when they carried the lyrics more back in the day but I'm pleased with its current role.

Just wait till you hear 2015 & 2017, my man. Equal to, if not greater than, 2003.

I lump 2016 right in there. Not sure why folks are down on it. Maybe the slew of Big Boat tunes in the Fall tour?
El Bastarde

Postby ghost » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:48 pm

El Bastarde wrote:It's just a gateway to more yams.

I avoid tubers all together. That's a dark path.
ghost
Human Being

Postby SirChompsAlot » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:48 pm

ghost wrote:I avoid tubers all together. That's a dark path.

I don't know if that's completely necessary, but sweet potatoes are just plain gross.

Picking up on Harpua's thoughts, I like Wingsuit, but would admit that it kind of sucks the air out of anything else that's going on. That said, I love when the song builds into the jam-y part, with the little piano scale, then the guitar, drum, and bass come in as it continues to build. Then you get that little pause before the guitar solo. That's some quality shit IMO. The beginning of the song is kind of blah though.

Fuego on the other hand is a song I never really cared much for, but I always find myself singing along when I'm at a show and they play it.

Piper seems like it's just kind of there, a nice 40 degree day. I don't dislike it, but I'm not clamoring for it.

The songs that absolutely kill any momentum for me (like El Bastard said, the bathroom break songs) are Wombat and Waking Up Dead. Just total turds in the figurative punchbowl. However, I don't get that feeling that Harpua gets where I feel like they just ruined the entire show, I just wish they hadn't played them.
SirChompsAlot

Postby Harpua » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:04 pm

El Bastarde wrote:
You should stop doing that.

Totally would if I could. I have dramatically changed how I look at Phish, but this is one thing that I can't seem to shake.

To me, a Wingsuit in an otherwise great show is like going on a really good first date (Weather, entertainment, and meal are all perfect; there is a mutual physical attraction; you have a ton in common; your date actually likes your sense of humor which is weird because most people either don't get it or don't care for it) but at some point during conversation, your date casually brings up that she / he can communicate with your dead relatives. Everything went so great that you want to look past the alleged necromancy, but you just can't.

Not sure what you mean by it "bringing the jam to a halt."

I did a bad job explaining this one. I am not referring to the song that is being jammed (but the way I wrote my confession definitely makes it sound like I was). I am talking about the greater sequence of songs. Sometimes (frequently) they get something fluid going and song boundaries are kind of ambiguous. Because the song is structured for Page to bring it down at the beginning, and the song then begins with Page's first chord, every time they segue into it, it feels like a hard reset rather than a jam continuation. Every "(song)>Fuego" feels like a "(song), Fuego."

I lump 2016 right in there.

I really dig a lot of 2016, but you hit the nail on the head. A little too much Big Boat. I haven't heard the entire year like I have 2015 and 2017, but a few of the summer shows kind of fizzled out in the second set and that wasn't really a reoccurring issue with any of the 2015 and 2017 shows. I still think it was a good year, but I think it was a bit of a valley between two peaks.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby El Bastarde » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:45 pm

but sweet potatoes are just plain gross.

Kinda agree. Never really liked them.

Picking up on Harpua's thoughts, I like Wingsuit, but would admit that it kind of sucks the air out of anything else that's going on.

I will agree on that. It kills crowds like nothing else. Even other slower songs like Bug and Waste don't clear out the lawn like Wingsuit does. I do like how it has a strong finish and has led to some pretty badass Trey jams but it's not as great sitting through the five minutes to get there.

I am talking about the greater sequence of songs. Sometimes (frequently) they get something fluid going and song boundaries are kind of ambiguous. Because the song is structured for Page to bring it down at the beginning,

I get what you mean there as you kinda want the rhythm to keep going. I think the band looks at these shows different from us, though. And it also depends on where the Wingsuit is placed as well...I much prefer it as a 1st set song for sure where there's usually less of a "flow" going on. I don't even mind the few Mike's>Wingsuit>Grooves we've seen since Wingsuit is just replacing another super slow song.

The songs that absolutely kill any momentum for me (like El Bastard said, the bathroom break songs) are Wombat and Waking Up Dead.

I really, really don't like the studio Wombat but it's hard to deny how fun and funky that song is live. I can see what you mean on Waking Up Dead...it's been a year or so and I still don't know what to think of that song. It's not awful but it's weird.
El Bastarde

PreviousNext

Return to General Phish Discussion