bands covering phish

Discuss Phish!

bands covering phish

Postby bhuji2 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:48 am

I think a lot of Jam bands don't play Phish covers because they want to avoid comparisons to them. I bet this is why Phish didn't play a lot of Dead covers, except for very early on in their career, and much later once they'd really esablished themselves as their own entity.

bhuji2

bands covering phish

Postby burbonsong » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:01 pm

Phix is an AMAZING Phish tribute band if you ever need a little phix go see Phix! Great group of guys that really have some great jams together. I've seen them a dozen times now, and wow... it's pretty damn good
burbonsong

bands covering phish

Postby burbonsong » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:01 pm

burbonsong

bands covering phish

Postby cemeteryroses » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:35 pm

Yeah. Agreed. But still....just imagine it. Hah hah. Fun.
cemeteryroses
Angel

Blog: View Blog (0)

bands covering phish

Postby phan142 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:59 am

hey these phix guys are pretty good...
phan142
Teh Irishman

bands covering phish

Postby bigB » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:29 am

I was readin on JamBase a while ago that RAQ used to cover Phish, but I have never seen a RAQ setlist with a Phish song on it.

I saw Raq do 2001 Phish style!
As he saw his life run away from him 1000's ran along chanting words from a psalm.
bigB
Wookie-Tamer

Blog: View Blog (1)

bands covering phish

Postby mcguirene » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:08 am

i saw phix last weekend, good shit
mcguirene

bands covering phish

Postby psychadelicsally » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:03 am

The Breakfast plays the sweetest rendition of 2001 (click tha link).
http://www.archive.org/download/breakfast2004-08-14.flac16/breakfast2004-08-14d2t06_vbr.mp3

Keller does some really nice covers I gotta agree. Check out the 10/4/94 show if you get the chance. Covers Down With Disease, Fluffhead & Cavern. Also have heard him do Run Like An Antelope.
psychadelicsally

bands covering phish

Postby qchippi » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:42 am

ive seen phix 6 or so times ,they used to come to my city.there are phantastic and really give you that pheeling that the guys are playing.i even ran into them at coventry.cool guys if i may say so.

then there is the helping phreindly band from columbia missouri. and in there own way are good too.but not as good as phix.imo.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
qchippi

bands covering phish

Postby Swartzbaugh » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:08 pm

Keller does a nice blend of Runaway>Like an Antelope>Jim. Saw him in Dec. and MIke came out, they did a nice Weigh.
Swartzbaugh
Green Mountain Boy

bands covering phish

Postby jawbone » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:49 pm

most of the new jam bands covered Phish when they were starting out and then stopped once they got big as to branch away from being associated as a rip off.

just like Phish with The Dead.
[#42?] nothin' shakin' but the leaves on the trees
jawbone
Skunk Ape Expatriate

bands covering phish

Postby kaktus » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:04 pm

phix may be a great phish cover band, but i remember a section from their homepage listing all the covers they play and saying: "some songs we (and phish) cover" ... now that's ridiculous, isn't it? as if they played the covers before phish ...
kaktus

bands covering phish

Postby kaktus » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:06 pm

^big b ... 2001 phish style doesn't exist ... they play 2001 deodato style all the way!
kaktus

bands covering phish

Postby roofnapkin » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:47 pm

phix is SICK!!! i've seen'em 3-4 times in the past two years and they do it right. crazy to say, but their guitarist is better at the composed sections than trey ever was post-hiatus...probably because he practices!! ;-D but their jams are original (obviously) and really get me to that peak...it's crazy.

my band plays phish covers. our originals don't sound phishy, so i think that's why we "get away with it." we've played first tube, mike's, meatstick, ac/dc bag, and moma dance. my favorite cover we've ever played was Army's On Ecstacy though, that song tears the roof down everytime.
So it seems... that the world keeps on turnin'
roofnapkin
Northern Jedi

bands covering phish

Postby thegreatbrent » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:10 am

you guys forgot Umphrey's' pedofile/criminal medley during halloween 04 when they teased mike's song, and played the who, gary glitter, michael jackson, r kelly.... ha

and wow is that breakfast version od 2001 funky...
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
thegreatbrent

bands covering phish

Postby famusmockingbird » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:33 am

ben/russo as we all know do a crazy FOAM
famusmockingbird
Your Phaithful Phriend

bands covering phish

Postby psychadelicsally » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:56 am

you guys forgot Umphrey's' pedofile/criminal medley during halloween 04 when they teased mike's song, and played the who, gary glitter, michael jackson, r kelly.... ha

and wow is that breakfast version od 2001 funky...

Glad you agree with the Breakfast diggin'. I am a huge fan. Always really liked this jam alot as well. The whole shoe is pretty decent.
psychadelicsally

bands covering phish

Postby roofnapkin » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:44 pm

^ The Breakfast is impressive. haven't heard their 2001, but the studio Deodato version is teh shit! slow as hell and thicker funk than anything you've ever heard...
roofnapkin
Northern Jedi

bands covering phish

Postby El Bastarde » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:05 pm

Heh, Phish covers, eh?

I remember being in a bar here in Michigan and this one local just busted this ROCKIN!!! Possum out of nowhere. They just rocked the hell out of it. It was pretty sweet. I told the bass player I liked the version and he started singing Tweezer so I told him to play that next set (they didn't).

Strangely I remember Phil and Friends did Sample in a Jar as an encore one time which was pretty unreal. It was strange because I had seen the show right after getting back from a Phish tour and the first song of the first show on tour was Sample so the whole trip ended up as a Sample Sandwich.

Also the Disco Biscuits used to cover some of the more elaborate Phish tunes like YEM and Divided Sky but they don't anymore (prolly to avoid comparisons like you said).

Maybe I'll check out Phix one of these days.

Stevo

Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
El Bastarde

bands covering phish

Postby captainfantasy » Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:56 pm

incubus has covered stash and a few other songs in the past. also, some cover band called The Super Band will be playing at hob cleveland on 2-28, 3 guys dressed like justice league peeps. took out a full page in the paper with bands they cover pearl jam, the clash, sublime, zepplin, and best of all, phish. i was stunned. all the other bands were in regulat type and phish was in the pisture of nectar type. interesting.
captainfantasy
Scumdog

bands covering phish

Postby charlieJack » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:42 pm

"Heh, Phish covers, eh?

I remember being in a bar here in Michigan and this one local just busted this ROCKIN!!! Possum out of nowhere. They just rocked the hell out of it. It was pretty sweet. I told the bass player I liked the version and he started singing Tweezer so I told him to play that next set (they didn't)."

hey i wonder if the band you saw was Gordon Bennett? they're no longer together, but there was a point in time that they ruled the MI south-east! they used to play AC/DC Bag, Chalkdust, Hood, Theme from the Bottom, Tweezer (note for note off of ALO), Simple, DWD, if i Could and i'm sure several others including ripping Possums.

The cool thing about GB was that they would bust out the Phish completely unexpectedly. you never knew when out of the dissonance of one of thier (incredibly badass) original jams, you would hear the first notes of Theme or Character 0 or who knows what the fuck emerging from the mire. ah, those were the days. then they lost two players (who, incidentally just got signed by Electra UK and are known as The Procession--unexplainable Beatles/Queen/70's piano-pop/Nothing else you've heard hybrid sweetness--look for debut album within the next several months, those of you currently living across the pond), became a 3-piece and went all best-post-garage-rock-ever. then ego's did what egos do and alas, no more GB. shame, really.

My own (no-longer-in-existance) band used to cover Bug. it was soooo not impressive :-/ but that's only because we sucked. i mean we sucked bad. like, awful. which actually made us kind of good in a really terrible way!

the floor will have its way it seems
it fights me like a trampoline
it won't let me to the ground
so this time i'm not coming down
charlieJack

bands covering phish

Postby dbphan » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:45 pm

Doesn't a pink poka dot dress cover fish?
dbphan

bands covering phish

Postby roofnapkin » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:58 pm

^ BA ZING!!!
roofnapkin
Northern Jedi

bands covering phish

Postby Clark W. Griswold » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:19 pm

Just thought I would throw this here 'cause I didn't see the need to start a new thread. Just heard that Umphrey's is opening a few shows on the Dave Matthews tour this summer.
Thoughts.......
We passed a goddamn gas station every 10 yards for 1000 miles, but when you really need one, you end up walking your ass off. This is no way to run a desert!
Praise Marty Moose!
Clark W. Griswold

bands covering phish

Postby mellifluouslife » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:47 pm

Umphrey's reaching for a new demographic, maybe?
mellifluouslife

PreviousNext

Return to General Phish Discussion