what was THE song

Discuss Phish!

what was THE song

Postby marley » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:51 pm

11.19.94 (I think) The first few nots of Rift got my hooked for life.
#29. "Phishamatics pwns Reganomics" - Pei Yi
"wait a minute... what are we doing?" - Bob Weir
marley
West Side Wook

Blog: View Blog (0)

what was THE song

Postby axillaptiii » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:35 am

I'd have to say the 2nd or 3rd time I heard SASS on undermind. As i've said on other threads, I bought Undermind on a whim, and liked it. I was listening to it on the bus the first few times. Then, the third time through, I was in a car, listening intently. everything really clicked. Army of One was beautiful, Access Me was awesome and funky, but SASS did it. If i hadn't been in a seat, i would have gotten up and danced.
axillaptiii
Ax-Mas

what was THE song

Postby unclesketchy » Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:58 am

When my brother bought the cd and I heard the first notes of Fee. I thougt these guys are really cool and how stange a song/album. That was in 1993 and he was running out to the Portland, Me 12-30-1993 epic later in the week.

For the live stuff it came at a totally sober moment at The Went Second Set Second Day. I reference this a bit too much but it totally changed myself and my very good friend. Seriously the jams and peaks during that set turned me upside down
unclesketchy

what was THE song

Postby willbreathes » Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:08 am

I'd have to say the 2nd or 3rd time I heard SASS on undermind. As i've said on other threads, I bought Undermind on a whim, and liked it. I was listening to it on the bus the first few times. Then, the third time through, I was in a car, listening intently. everything really clicked. Army of One was beautiful, Access Me was awesome and funky, but SASS did it. If i hadn't been in a seat, i would have gotten up and danced.

I find that extremely cool, unique... I am not sure what.

I never really thought Undermind could hook someone, but that is freakin' awesome!
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

what was THE song

Postby dmcnul91 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:04 am

i actually got into phish because for some reason i just wanted to listen to more phish. during my senior year, i had downloaded that gin and juice song. even though now i know that its not phish, i got me intrigued, and so i downloaded some other phish songs. i downloaded gettin jiggy wit it from hampton off kazaa and started listening to it. it just made me laugh. i was a big who fan at the time, still am, and when i found out the phish covered quadrophenia on halloween 95, i immediately had to listen to it. i wanted that live phish cd not because i really liked phish, but because i love the who. so, i got it for my birthday, along with live phish vol. 20 from a friend of mine, listened to runaway jim and thought it was a cool song. but what got me hooked was the 95 halloween YEM. around the 3rd or 4th time i listened to it, there was this one part in the beginning of YEM that just moved me so emotionally. you know, the part after the spacey part after pages soloing where the crowd always goes wild. from then on, i was hooked.
dmcnul91
Prep School Hippie

what was THE song

Postby gregradiohead » Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:55 am

For me it was my first show 3/22/93. I was blown away!

1: Chalk Dust Torture, Guelah Papyrus, Uncle Pen, Stash, Bouncing Around the Room, Rift, Weigh, Reba, Sparkle, David Bowie

2: Golgi Apparatus, It's Ice-> Lizards-> Tela-> Wilson-> AC/DC Bag-> Colonel Forbin's Ascent-> Fly Famous Mockingbird-> The Sloth-> McGrupp and the Watchful Hosemasters, Mike's Song-> I Am Hydrogen-> Weekapaug Groove

E: Amazing Grace, Fire

Imagine this being your first show... WTF? No wonder they changed my life. LOL

Man that was your first show?? Jesus. That Gamehendge performance is great.
gregradiohead
Goderator

what was THE song

Postby vernixx » Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:07 am

I agree ^ ! The Sacremento show is like THE GRAIL to us older heads.

Best Gamehenge with narration EVER! And that first set is MONEY!
vernixx

what was THE song

Postby adgrosve » Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:09 am

For me it was the studio Divided & the ALO Hood, still 2 of my absolute "go to" tracks...I stole my sister's tape of Junta my sophomore year of high school and it was all over for me.
adgrosve

what was THE song

Postby longhairs » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:53 am

The song that turned me on to Phish was "PYITY". I remember my brother playing that for me and I was amazed at the motion in the music, and the description of the sound. I loved it. "Coil" and "Divided Sky" also turned me on to the band, but not in their entirety; just the parts in the middle where the guitar again plays those lines that have so much motion to them.

Cool stuff, for sure.
longhairs

what was THE song

Postby Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:14 pm

You know what? I love it when people go off on descriptions like that, noting the times when changes happen, when bandmembers step it up etc. It's great to read something that obviously would have taken a long time and good listening session.

Anyway, back on topic.. The song that "got" me was the studio version of Guyute. I was taken aback by how odd this song was, all those beautiful little parts and a glorious ending. Word.
How can you dream lines of poetry you don't know?
Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)

what was THE song

Postby captainfantasy » Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:12 am

for me several songs and moments for me when i said "eurika" (sp) live it would be guyute, antelope of 10-31-95. i had first seen them over a year before this but this was nuts for me. also the yem in pa, fall 96 and the hoods at deercreek 98/97 respectively. but the one and best for me, and i don't know why, but the possum from assembly hall in champaig, IL 10-22-95 just crushed every fiber in my body. also, hearing them though on tape has to be the icculus off of junta. this is red rocks, this is the edge, and gordo saying diareah was looped over and over for several hours intermingled with bbfcfm and possum while expanding my horizons one evening and it was magical.
captainfantasy
Scumdog

what was THE song

Postby rastabilly » Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:34 pm

Hmmm... this is tough. I have three of them...

3. The studio version of Free.... the first notes of Phish I ever heard. I remember it as clearly as the first time someone offered me weed. It changed my whole approach to listening to music and my whole concept of what a rock record can be.

2. A Live One: Montana>YEM. First live recording/segue I ever heard. (I didn't know it wasn't a real segue at the time.) It blew my mind.

1. 7/12/03 Taste: My first live Phish song in the flesh. 15 feet from the front of the stage, between Trey and Mike. Beautiful weather at the Gorge. And a RAGING Taste... During those twelve and a half minutes, I went from freebasing Phish to mainlining it, and have never turned back.
This isn't who it would be if it wasn't #2.

Listen to my band! www.opencountryjoy.bandcamp.com
rastabilly
Undercover Wook

what was THE song

Postby freebaracco » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:26 pm

My antelope was at the Mullins Center in 95 Chicken Heads ugggg!
freebaracco
Iron Chef

what was THE song

Postby Moma Dave » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:47 pm

Yep! What a show... It really changed my life. No one was there either. Their intent was to BLOW AWAY and it worked LOL!
I'm left in the now with a wondrous glow
I think I'm still me but how would you know?
Moma Dave
Undercover Wook

what was THE song

Postby jl08030 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:29 pm

7/18/92

Went to a Santana show in Philly. I had read a Rolling Stone article about the opening band so I told my friends we should try to catch the opener.

Reba was the one that hooked me (in a HUGE way). The Antelope set closer sealed the deal.
jl08030

what was THE song

Postby The Ubiquitous Smokey » Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:18 pm

THE moment at a show for me for just one song is DEFINTELY the Hood from the Went. On the way into the show the Tour news article being passed around mentioned all the UFO relations to Loring. I swear there was something flying above the stage. The moon was soooo bright an huge, it was one of the most moving moments in my life!
The Ubiquitous Smokey
East Side Jedi

what was THE song

Postby themezzotint » Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:07 pm

Bouncing Around the Room, Halloween 1994, the year Phish covered the White Album. oh man, the whole show is good. I remember I was sittin in english listening to it, tappin' along with the beat. I didn't realize I liked them then, it finally started at the end of that summer, when my brother who LOVES Phish left for college, and I stopped hearing Phish comming out of his stereo every day, when I realized I like Phish, i was so psyched when i found he left Hampton Comes Alive behind, so i borrowed for a while. good shit. good shit.
themezzotint

what was THE song

Postby yem » Sun Dec 25, 2005 9:26 am

I agree ^ ! The Sacremento show is like THE GRAIL to us older heads.

Best Gamehenge with narration EVER! And that first set is MONEY!

I made an updated Gamehenge mix with my favorites, with the Axillas and the other added on Gamehenge songs. It's over two hours long, it's cool.
yem

what was THE song

Postby cemeteryroses » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:36 pm

YEM...
cemeteryroses
Angel

what was THE song

Postby Fluffy Bunny » Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:28 pm

YEM...

Do you have a favorite perfomance, or does any performance do it?
If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite.
Fluffy Bunny
Lazy Hippie

Blog: View Blog (1)

what was THE song

Postby kris10dank » Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:44 pm

Guyute was the ugly pig....my first show was Vernon 98 right before Lemonwheel..and while they did not play the ballad of the pig that night it was/is the song that really made me love Phish...from start to finish... me gusta mucho

vernon down the house!
kris10dank

what was THE song

Postby cryptical70 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:41 am

AC/DC Bag is where it all started for me. Before I heard the song, I knew the title and I wondered why Phish was mentioning Angus Young's band. Later on after I heard it I found out that it has nothing to do with AC/DC.
cryptical70

what was THE song

Postby momamomma1 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:52 pm

Timber Ho from Dayton , OH??? The nutter center...I'm not sure what date. It was killer though and I'll never forget hearing it.
momamomma1
Goddess

what was THE song

Postby eaf288 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:01 pm

The Divided Sky -> Slave to the Traffic Light from the White Tape blew my mind.
eaf288

what was THE song

Postby eaf288 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:01 pm

Timber Ho from Dayton , OH??? The nutter center...I'm not sure what date. It was killer though and I'll never forget hearing it.

Perhaps 12/7/97?
eaf288

PreviousNext

Return to General Phish Discussion