Goddess

Blog: View Blog (0)

what was THE song

Postby divsky » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:06 pm

Divided Sky
divsky

what was THE song

Postby myclam » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:38 am

The first I ever heard was Fee from Junta, that definitely tipped me off that they were wierd and different in a way I liked.

Reba took it to the next level for me. That's when i knew I would listen to everything they ever tried to do.

Mike
www.mysticcanyonband.com
myclam

what was THE song

Postby eaf288 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:54 pm

^You should put a link to your band's site in the "Member Projects" section. It will get more hits. Now, it's time for me to listen to some Mystic Canyon Band.
eaf288

what was THE song

Postby lifeboyo » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:22 am

Not sure....soo many songs had a huge impact on me....I think i have always loved a sick tweeprise.....like iceing on the cake. But I love the building jam towards the end of theme...guitar and piano alternating until my head almost pops....I think my favorite version would be 2.17.97 or 2.23.03...both are sick....as for the moment when I felt I "got it" or what I would say is THE song that hooked me....I would have to say the guitar solo at the end of lizards...philly 12.29.96.....almost brings a tear to my eye.
Please me, have no regrets.
lifeboyo

what was THE song

Postby intll » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:02 am

Twist from the Island Tour... Never heard a band come together so seamlessly - will always be one of my favorite jams ever.
intll

what was THE song

Postby danfish » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:17 am

''Harry Hood''from Hampton Comes Alive 8-) It just melted me...
danfish

what was THE song

Postby charlieJack » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:00 am

i know i've already told this story in detail somewhere around here, so here it is in a nutshell:

heard Bouncin' from ALO on the radio one day while delivering pizzas in '96. thought it was so much different than anything i'd heard before. bought ALO on cassette (!) and didn't really like it, except for BATR. didn't "get it" yet.

friend of mine had an extra ticket for the palace show that november and i said what the hell. maybe they'd play Bouncin. didn't get a Bouncin, but "got it" in the middle, quiet section of Divided Sky. i remember thinking i knew that incredibly emotional, moving melody from sometime before i was born, and here was this weird ginger guy reminding me that i had forgotton it. i had to have more. bought Billy Breathes the next day and the rest is history.

the end.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
the floor will have its way it seems
it fights me like a trampoline
it won't let me to the ground
so this time i'm not coming down
charlieJack

what was THE song

Postby charlieJack » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:02 am

oh, THE song? i'll have to say Bouncin is what piqued my interest, Divided Sky is what blew my face right off my face.
the floor will have its way it seems
it fights me like a trampoline
it won't let me to the ground
so this time i'm not coming down
charlieJack

what was THE song

Postby ghost_2000 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:14 pm

I believe it was "Spices."

My room is round when I lay down, when I wake up it's square.
ghost_2000
The Apparition

what was THE song

Postby goldphish » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:08 pm

^Cumin or paprika? I'll just stick with plain ol' salt.
goldphish
White Mountain Scallop

Blog: View Blog (2)

what was THE song

Postby verniques » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:19 am

The studio version of YOU ENJOY MYSELF. I still get that feeling when I hear it....
verniques
The Oracle

what was THE song

Postby neck » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:47 am

reba...from lawnboy.

my friends brother had the tape and said it was crap and i could have it. i saw an add for hoist in rolling stone a year or so before and the picture of the horse and the color or something made me remember the name phish and that i wanted to hear them. then i got ALO. then i saw them several months later. ..4 times from oct 28 - december 8. 1995. i couldnt wait for that next summer tour to start.
neck
Third Eye Warrior

what was THE song

Postby goldphish » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:36 am

I heard junta a few years before and liked it but after hearing the aforementioned reba on lawnboy at a mushroom party did I have the motivation to see them live.
goldphish
White Mountain Scallop

Blog: View Blog (2)

what was THE song

Postby hosemasterflex » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:26 am

I saw them live first, and was so blown away that I wasn't even sure I enjoyed it. Then I got the newsletter, cuz I'd signed up for it at the concert ... and the newsletter, I think, sold me on buying a CD. All there was was Lawn Boy at the time, so I bought that, and I'm certain that either "Split Open & Melt", "Reba", or "the Squirming Coil", (or all three,) is the song that truly sold me on Phish.

"Golgi", "Suzy" , & "Stash" are three that I definitely remember wanting to hear again between shows when I had no tapes, and all you could get was LB!
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

what was THE song

Postby jawbone » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:51 pm

Antelope

from Lawn Boy

my brother used to listen to this album over and over again but it seemed like he wold only listen to Reba and i would usually get sick of it before the good part (instrumental) came on and leave the room. One day he let the album play through and i walked in after Reba and thought it was ok but i recognized Antelope as kicking major ass.

that and the YEM from the 93 Tinley Park LivePhish release (first disc i snaked from him to listen to in my car).
[#42?] nothin' shakin' but the leaves on the trees
jawbone
Skunk Ape Expatriate

what was THE song

Postby El Bastarde » Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:33 pm

It was Stash off A Live One for me. Totally got me into Phish and showed how a live band COULD play and could sound if they were good enough.
El Bastarde

what was THE song

Postby proletariat » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:29 pm

what caught my attention was Moma Dance off of SotG. my friend was playing 'velvet sea' for me and i thought 'meh'. he let it play through and i thought moma was awesome. this was 99 i think. i remember i bought SotG, then the next week i bought BB, then i bought LB, then i realized i was hooked for life.

i don't listen to them as much as i used to, probably because they don't tour. i still love them move than any other band to ever exist and i am proud to say that big red replaced john lennon as my all-time favorite musician.
proletariat

what was THE song

Postby groove1234 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:04 pm

wolfman's brother, 3/1/97 slip stitch and pass. i always liked wolfman's but when i heard this one i fell in love. the jam goes on forever

other than that, divided sky, yem, and reba really did it for me/still do
groove1234

what was THE song

Postby famousmockingbird » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:53 am

The first time I heard Phish was in 98. I was 15. My friend Warren and I had just spent the better part of about 3 hours trying to find some pot. We were skating back to his house, I think because his dad was gone and we could be free to be 15 year old little stoners. All of the sudden Warren stops and asks me, "Have you ever listened to Phish man? My brother just gave me this tape, check it out." Of course I had no idea what he was talking about. He proceeded to bust out his canary yellow, drop proof, water proof, Walk-Man and says "Check it out!" I put the headphones on and pressed play. The tape had left off during the last chorus of Gumbo on ALO, right before Trey rips it apart. I remember thinking.....holy shit, this is awesome. I listened to the rest of Gumbo, thinking that Phish was a 10 person horn driven band! I pressed stop on the Walk-Man and we made our way to Warrens house. We then proceeded to get way to stoned for our own good and listened to disc 1 of ALO , or side one, whatever it was on tape. It was literally a life changing experience. From that day on, I have been completely hooked. Trey's solo during that version of Stash still gives me goose bumps. My first show was not for another two years. 9/27/00 Fiddlers Green in Englewood CO. I could not have asked for a better first show. By that time I had been listening to them for a couple years and had some very high expectations. It was great. A killer Sample in A Jar opener, My Friend, My Friend, Horn, Limb by Limb, Piper...... were some highlights. It was YEM that sealed the deal. I remember the feeling of utter joy and excitement when the first notes of the arpeggio intro began flowing into my ears. It was one of the best feelings I have ever had in my life. I have seen many shows since, some better than others, some probably better than the first, but my memories of that first show, and of that day when I first heard Phish, will always stay with me.. I can not wait to see the boys on stage again!!!!!!!! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
famousmockingbird

what was THE song

Postby nanook » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:12 am

after school playing sonic the hedgehog with the volume down listening to the lawn boy cassette over and over and over.
nanook
Universal Mind

what was THE song

Postby El Bastarde » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:47 pm

I swear I've seen this thread before. Oh well..

For me, it was the first time I ever heard Phish. My brother put in A Live One and Bouncin was cool but Stash blew me away. It's not exactly my song of choice when putting on Phish nowadays but back then, that live version totally got me interested in Phish who subsequently got me more interest in the Dead, jambands, jazz, blues and other music in general.

Stevo
El Bastarde

what was THE song

Postby jbarker » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:21 pm

The 12/31/95 Reba and the HCA Gin are what got me hooked.
jbarker

what was THE song

Postby ahill » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:18 pm

YEM @ SPAC 1995...it was all down hill from there.
ahill

what was THE song

Postby TanasRoot » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:46 pm

Chalkdust Torture to open up 11/11/96... maybe it wasn't so much the song itself, but it was SO EXCITING and everyone in the crowd was SO HAPPY as they tore into it, i finally got the whole "band and the crowd TOGETHER" thing that was going on. i just knew i had to be a part of it for as long as i possibly could.

shame it took me 4 years to figure it out as i first heard Esther on Junta in the fall of 92 on cd, and saw them locally once a year from 93-95.
"I'm not making this up..."
TanasRoot

PreviousNext

Return to General Phish Discussion