10-31 Las Vegas

Discuss the 2014 shows!

10-31 Las Vegas

Postby jawbone » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:35 pm

Friday, 10/31/2014
MGM Grand Garden Arena, Las Vegas, NV

Set 1: Buried Alive > Ghost, Scent of a Mule, Sample in a Jar, Reba, 46 Days, Big Black Furry Creature from Mars, Lawn Boy, Saw It Again > Tube, Wolfman's Brother

Set 2: The Haunted House[1], The Very Long Fuse[1], The Dogs[1], Timber[1], Your Pet Cat[1], Shipwreck[1], The Unsafe Bridge[1], The Chinese Water Torture[1], The Birds[1], Martian Monster[1]

Set 3: Punch You In the Eye > Golden Age > Tweezer -> Heavy Things, Guyute, Sand -> Tweezer Reprise

Encore: Is This What You Wanted[2], Frankenstein[3]

[1] Debut.
[2] Phish debut.
[3] Page on keytar.

Notes: The backdrop on the stage at the start of the show was a large gate adorned with a "P." During Lawn Boy, Page introduced Mike as "Michael Gordleone" and Fishman took a drum solo. Trey teased Saw It Again during Tube and San-Ho-Zay during Wolfman's. The musical costume was a set of original, mostly instrumental music played with the sound effects and narration of the 1964 Disneyland album Chilling, Thrilling Sounds of the Haunted House. Prior to the start of Set II, the stage was cleared of all band equipment, and a graveyard set was brought out. At the start of the set, smoke filled the stage, and zombies appeared behind the gate. When the gate opened, a large haunted house with the band inside was brought to the front of the stage. The sound effects and narration were played on the PA, while an undead narrator would emerge from a crypt inscribed with "ESTHER" prior to each song for the introduction. At the end of The Fuse, the sides of the house came down while sounds of an explosion were heard, and the band was revealed inside, dressed in white tuxedoes and with zombie face paint. Several zombies came to the front of the stage and danced during Martian Monster. At the conclusion of the set, the band members came down from the Haunted House riser, slowly walked to the front of the stage, and took bows, along with the entire cast of zombies. All songs during the second set were debuts, with the titles taken from the first ten tracks of Chilling, Thrilling Sounds of the Haunted House. Is This What You Wanted (Leonard Cohen) was a Phish debut. Page performed Frankenstein on keytar, which was played for the first time since July 1, 2012 (100 shows).
[#42?] nothin' shakin' but the leaves on the trees
jawbone
Skunk Ape Expatriate

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: 10-31 Las Vegas

Postby jawbone » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:37 pm

[#42?] nothin' shakin' but the leaves on the trees
jawbone
Skunk Ape Expatriate

Postby AsianGirl » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:05 pm

One of my favorite Halloween shows to date. Really enjoyed that second set's jams and of course, professionally choreographed dance to Phish!

What can I say, I love watching dancers, and to have professional dancers dance to Phish, is amazing and so entertaining, ALWAYS!
*Everything from now on is all Gravy*
AsianGirl

Postby piper » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:10 pm

piper

Postby Mulch » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:17 pm

piper wrote:

omg, thanks for posting this

i hadnt seen the video yet

i was at work with some downtime and a 9 foot by 12 foot screen and a vertec 4886 line array when i found this post and video

what do you suppose i did?

:D

Mulch

Postby ghost » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:49 pm

I thought the musical costume was incredible. I was blown away. So Phish. So awesome. Something that no one would ever expect. And so Halloween. The show with the graveyard and the moon and the zombie dancers and the exploding haunted house and the white tuxedos and the zombie makeup and the jams...oh the jams. And the narration from the record ready for Page to add in with the music. Best. Band. Ever.
ghost
Human Being

Postby hosemasterflex » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:47 pm

Listened to this set last night while I painted the floor. What a cool idea. A great answer to the Wingsuit set from the previous year too. They Attack! was a blast, especially. I keep thinking I'm gonna buy the Disney record someday, just to hear what they started from.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby goldenroad » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:00 am

Guys. This fucking show!

Take out that 2nd set and you still might have the best show of 2014. That first set is pure spooky goodness. Just ghosts and aliens and monsters and Page coming out front to get ya. The third set was so high energy start to finish. I just remember thinking, "There is nothing they can possibly do right now to top the energy of this Sand. They're gonna just have to call it quits." Of course I forgot we still had that Tweeprise coming. But yeah, that whole entire set of original...like really original...unheard psychedelic dance music was just.... :crazy: :crazy: :clap: :clap: :crazy:

Did I ever mention that between the 2nd and 3rd sets I met the gal who played the narrator part? Who we were also directly in of for that entire set, second row-ish. As an aside; being that close was almost a bit of a bad thing for that set, aside from our proximity to her and the dancers, since it was not a great view of the band with them being 25' up in the air or whatever. Regardless, I told her how amazing she was and thanked her, but I really wish I would have got a picture. Probably a good thing I didn't though, since I have a feeling I may have come across a little...blurry.
goldenroad
Undercover Wook

Return to 2014