7-16 Northerly Island, Chicago, IL

Discuss the 2017 shows!

7-16 Northerly Island, Chicago, IL

Postby y0n » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:07 am

SET 1: Possum, 555, Tube, Ocelot, Lawn Boy, Stash, The Line, Birds of a Feather, Funky Bitch, Run Like an Antelope

SET 2: Carini > Twenty Years Later > Piper > Thread[1], Bathtub Gin > Also Sprach Zarathustra > Cavern

ENCORE: Wilson, Character Zero

Definitely listen to the entire second set.

If anyone is on the fence about going to any show this summer....go!
y0n

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: 7-16 Northerly Island, Chicago, IL

Postby TanasRoot » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:59 am

omg that 4th quarter throwdown! :thumbup:
"I'm not making this up..."
TanasRoot

Re: 7-16 Northerly Island, Chicago, IL

Postby Harpua » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:47 am

^ For sure. So much energy to close out the show.

I have heard each night claimed as the best, and I can't disagree. Frankly I don't want to try to rank these shows.

So here are my rankings:
(I kid)

The first set had some great moments, but sorta struggled to gain traction. Not as ambitious as night one, but more ambitious than night two. I think - I don't know. I'm just talkin' out my ass here. I though all 6 sets were great.

The Good:

Set one:
Possum got things started on the right foot.
Tube was relatively great, the transition back from the jam was sorta jarring, but it was one of the better Tubes I have seen in person.
Ocelot... Do I like Ocelot? I think I might like Ocelot. I definitely liked this Ocelot. This is a good Ocelot.

Set Two:

Set Two - It's all good, really. This set might have had the most distinct vibe of the weekend, and that vibe was pure evil. :twisted: Carini gave us the second 20+ minute jam of the weekend, and it was everything you want it to be. Twenty Years Later keeps the evil coming, sure it might be fun an games at the beginning, but you know what happens next in the end. Piper brought us all back to the light for a second, and just when you think everything is going to be ok... BAM! Thread reminds you that you are all alone in this world. Then a lighthearted mid-set Gin says "No, where not alone! We're all in this together!" The rest of the show was just so energetic, hot, and funky that it sent us all home buzzin'.

The Bad:

They kinda lost the audience after Stash, and it took a Funky Bitch the get the party going again.
I haven't gone back to listen to this show yet, but from where I stood in the pit, it kinda sounded like Trey was wrestling with his guitar during Antelope. There was something going on and he off for most of the song.

Not a lot of bad the entire weekend.

I would go as far as to say this was overall the best Northerly run, and I think an argument can be made for best Chicago run of 3.0. I know that the UIC '11 loyalists might take exception to that, especially with that Element Set, but top to bottom this is, as I see it, probably better.
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Return to 2017