07-22 Madison Square Garden, New York, NY

Discuss the 2017 shows!

07-22 Madison Square Garden, New York, NY

Postby y0n » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:01 am

SET 1: Strawberry Fields Forever[1], Halley's Comet > The Moma Dance > Breath and Burning > Funky Bitch, Mound, Foam, Roggae, The Squirming Coil

SET 2: Down with Disease, Strawberry Letter 23[2] > Birds of a Feather, I Always Wanted It This Way > All of These Dreams, Split Open and Melt > Down with Disease > Shine a Light

ENCORE: Peaches en Regalia > Cities, My Sweet One
[1] A capella; Phish debut
[2] Debut
y0n

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: 07-22 Madison Square Garden, New York, NY

Postby fone » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:49 pm

Solid first set. The whole donut of the night theme was fun even though the SFF opener was rough around the edges. Halleys was solid, Moma Dance great. Breath and Burning was meh. Funky Bitch raged, high point for me. Mound and Foam very nicely done. Roggae was surprisingly great, and Page nailed the Coil.

Bringing back the DWD turned the whole second set into a "Groove", and it was likewise great. Don't know how this show will hold up against others, but Phish left nothing for the imagination. They are a better live show than they've ever been, and the Baker's Dozen theme has put them in an experimentation head, trying new things to keep the theme going opens up their approach to all of the standard songs.

If you can, you need to taste one of these donuts,
Go down in your own way
And everyday is the right day
And as you rise above the fear lines in his frown
You look down
Hear the sound of the faces in the crowd
fone
The Sage

Postby SirChompsAlot » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:55 pm

I liked the Strawberry Fields Forever opener. It was a pretty cool arrangement even if they didn't execute it perfectly. I'm not a huge Moma Dance fan, but I liked this one quite a bit. The slow build into the song was really nice, and the song didn't seem to drag at all, which IIRC seems to happen from time to time when I've seen it. Breath and Burning was ok, but they got back on track and rocking along with Funky B###h. Mound, Foam, and Roggae were all okay to good, but Squirming Coil to close the set was great as usual.

Set two was great with the DWD bookends. That set opening DWD was awesome, and the DWD Reprise was great as well. Strawberry Letter 23 was pretty much the only donut theme song that I called, so I really enjoyed that one despite the vocals not being great, and a few flubs on the riffs (which I assume may have originally been recorded on a keyboard). It's just a fun, funky song, and I think it fits Phish's style really well. I love the intro to Birds of a Feather, so when that one starts up I get pretty excited. The rest of set two was pretty standard, but Shine a Light is really growing on me, so I enjoyed that one as the set closer.

The encore was ok. I'm not a huge fan of the songs in the encore aside from Cities, so that didn't help, but I thought that My Sweet One was a nice way to end the show the way the vocals kind of build to a high then trail off a bit.

Overall I liked it a little better than night 1, bumped up by a good Moma, really good DWD, and the inclusion of two good, new covers (SFF and SL23).
Last edited by SirChompsAlot on Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SirChompsAlot

Postby y0n » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:17 pm

Keep up the good work SirChompsAlot, I enjoy your reviews!
y0n

Postby SirChompsAlot » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:54 pm

Thanks y0n! I don't have as discerning of an ear as others who review the shows, and I value fun, uptempo songs most of the time. Like I love when they open a set with a song like BoaF, BAM! They're rocking right out of the gate.

Also I generally listen at work so I'm not fully focused on the show, and it probably comes through in my lack of detail. But I'll keep posting my reviews, trying to contribute! :wave:
SirChompsAlot

Return to 2017