Rockin'

The Siket Disc Discussion

Rockin'

Postby willbreathes » Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:49 pm

Honestly I have had this album since it was available to purchase through the Phish web site (I think that is how I got it), and after a few listens I put it on the shelf. Now that I have knocked the dust off of it and put it into my headphones, I must say I am dissapointed in myself for ignoring this album for so many years. I have not listened to Phish for close to a year or so, but after finding this piece of good recorded studio jamming, I think I'm back on that wonderful bandwagon.
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Blog: View Blog (0)

Rockin'

Postby aeb1975 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:45 am

I think the Siket Disk is Phish's most cohesive studio release. It's very unique and represents only a limited aspect of what Phish did musically, but that's why it works more than most of Phish's "proper" studio albums.
The sort of minimal approach to improvisation documented on the Siket Disk made for some very spacious, spiritual music and definitely kept Phish moving towards the next level. The purity and simplicity of this music makes this record feel more universal to me than their other recordings. In many ways it stands more durably as not so much as a great Phish record, but as simply a great record. Phish, like the Grateful Dead, really had difficulty making records that captured their true energy. The Siket Disk comes very close.
aeb1975

Rockin'

Postby gregradiohead » Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:17 pm

I managed to find The Siket Disc used for 6 or 7 dollars, which seems like the right amount of money for it. I'm not certain if I can call it a studio, live, or demo release. It's a different beast altogether. It is definitely very minimalist, mellow, and spacey at times. A good, fairly short CD for a winter's day or a summer night staring at the sun going down or a lava lamp.
gregradiohead
Goderator

Rockin'

Postby aeb1975 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:57 pm

It reminds me of Neu!
aeb1975

Rockin'

Postby heath » Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:06 pm

id call it "Live Studio Improv"recorded in a studio,improv is live sooooooo.i too was disapointed in the running time(about the same time as the number on the tree on the cover?)but there are some of the finest moments that Phish ever recorded in this format,on this disc.THEY SHOULD HAVE RECORDED/RELEASED AN ALBUM LIKE THIS EVERY 6-8 MONTHS.document the changes in the study of jam.and the practice couldnt have hurt.i seem to remember reading about them goin into a studio in NYC on a whim and recording several hours of studio improv.with talk of releasing it as "THE(enter engineer's name here)DISC"and compairing it to"Sicket"in nature.right around the same time as the SNL comeback appearance?
heath

Rockin'

Postby cfgonephishin » Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:31 pm

i love the siket disc, anfd have owned it for about 6 years now. i must say its not in my usual rotation, but after experiencing the tower jam at IT, this album brings me back to that moment of freedom and exploration.

first post there will be many more
cfgonephishin

Rockin'

Postby buffoon33 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:14 pm

id call it "Live Studio Improv"recorded in a studio,improv is live sooooooo.i too was disapointed in the running time(about the same time as the number on the tree on the cover?)but there are some of the finest moments that Phish ever recorded in this format,on this disc.THEY SHOULD HAVE RECORDED/RELEASED AN ALBUM LIKE THIS EVERY 6-8 MONTHS.document the changes in the study of jam.and the practice couldnt have hurt.i seem to remember reading about them goin into a studio in NYC on a whim and recording several hours of studio improv.with talk of releasing it as "THE(enter engineer's name here)DISC"and compairing it to"Sicket"in nature.right around the same time as the SNL comeback appearance?

that will eventually be released i'm sure. they havn't been broken up year yet, we havn't even started with all the unreleased studio material and b-side compilations that are sure to come out in the next 5-10 years.
buffoon33

Rockin'

Postby willbreathes » Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:02 pm

Wow... you know... I have never even really given that a thought. My mind is now blown at the thought of the possibilities.
<---- also drooling
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Rockin'

Postby fishwater » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:06 pm

i compare the silik to IDM or warp music.. like squarepusher or light kid606 or something...
which is actually a far out thing... it seems phish could have done more with that sound in their live preformances, like 40 minutes of warp space, and dug it, but they dident do it much...
i love electronic music so in comparison the silik disk is just a disapointment, i never got to see phish do anything like this live really, and i wanted too, and alot of my friends did too who heard the disk...
we figured phish just played what they knew the crowds wanted to hear,,, a real phish show, and not a REALL GOOD phish show with a IDM twist....
(idm- intelegent dance music)
fishwater

Rockin'

Postby phishinsky » Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:36 pm

Time to dust of the Album, like Will said, it is one I have not heard in a long while....I am excited..
"Art isn’t about perfection. It is what is created when trying to reach perfection that matters!"
phishinsky
Northern Jedi

Rockin'

Postby gregradiohead » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:21 am

i compare the silik to IDM or warp music.. like squarepusher or light kid606 or something...
which is actually a far out thing... it seems phish could have done more with that sound in their live preformances, like 40 minutes of warp space, and dug it, but they dident do it much...
i love electronic music so in comparison the silik disk is just a disapointment, i never got to see phish do anything like this live really, and i wanted too, and alot of my friends did too who heard the disk...
we figured phish just played what they knew the crowds wanted to hear,,, a real phish show, and not a REALL GOOD phish show with a IDM twist....
(idm- intelegent dance music)

You should listen to some Disco Biscuits and the other livetronica bands. You would love them.
gregradiohead
Goderator

Rockin'

Postby willbreathes » Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:36 pm

I have not listened to Phish for close to a year or so,

Wow... I don't remember that time in my life ;D
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Rockin'

Postby gregradiohead » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:52 pm

I have not listened to Phish for close to a year or so,

Wow... I don't remember that time in my life ;D

gregradiohead
Goderator

Rockin'

Postby lysasome » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:35 pm

thats a cute little girl!
#8675309. do the dew.
lysasome

Re: Rockin'

Postby goldenroad » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:51 pm

I just found this used while I was digging through a CD bin looking for some Elton John.

I didn't even recognize the cover, luckily I have that part of me that if I see an album cover and don't know what it is, I have to find out.

So yeah, now my official phish discography is complete! Oh happy day.
goldenroad
Undercover Wook

Postby ghost_2000 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:57 am

Apparently, Will goes several months at a time w/o listening to the Phish.

:evil:
My room is round when I lay down, when I wake up it's square.
ghost_2000
The Apparition

Postby willbreathes » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:24 am

ghost_2000 wrote:Apparently, Will goes several months at a time w/o listening to the Phish.

:evil:

Hey, 2004 was a major turn off.
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Return to The Siket Disc