Guyute

Re: Guyute

Postby ADrock » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:31 am

Easily the best song to whistle along to whilst listening to...I usually obliviously whistle the chorus for about a half an hour after listening to it. I am usually left with a good feeling after hearing it. 6-7-09 version was a welcome treat in an otherwise awesome first set.
Whatever happened to Lee Van Cleef?
ADrock

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby AsianGirl » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:55 pm

I just listened to the Big Cypress Guyute while driving to work yesterday and replayed it 3 times. Yep.

And it brought a little bit of tears to my eye a couple of the 3 times ... towards the end.

*I hope this happens once again*
*Everything from now on is all Gravy*
AsianGirl

Postby phishinsky » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:04 pm

Pei, were you there too?
"Art isn’t about perfection. It is what is created when trying to reach perfection that matters!"
phishinsky
Northern Jedi

Postby AsianGirl » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:33 pm

No .. for some odd reason I decided NOT TO GO...Image
*Everything from now on is all Gravy*
AsianGirl

Postby mafujon » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:16 pm

I am listening to the 12-01-1994 version very unique with fishman just playing in the beginning and dropping out for the entire first verse. Made guyute sound much more dreamlike.
“Those who dance are considered insane by those who cannot hear the music.”
― George Carlin
mafujon

Postby PardonMe Doug » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:08 am

mafujon wrote:I am listening to the 12-01-1994 version very unique with fishman just playing in the beginning and dropping out for the entire first verse. Made guyute sound much more dreamlike.

That was how it was played that whole first tour (Fall 94). I like this song a lot more now that they don't play it at 2 out of every 3 shows they play (ala 98-00, or post-SotG). But I have been going through the Fall 94 tour and I think I like the earlier versions better. As mentioned, there are no drums in during the first verse, but that's not what sells it. What I like better is the tempo during the "Irish Jig" part and the fact that Page is either on the Clav or the Moog (can't tell which). These differences give it a much more frolicking effect rather than reminding me of the Lord of the Dance. They also did't have the 'evil-Fish' vocal part back then, they just go back into the last verse sans drums like the first verse.
PardonMe Doug

Postby themomadans » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:17 am

guyute = fuck yeah
Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is the best
themomadans

Postby nugfin » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:26 am

I'm not good with numbers I just count on knowing when I'm high enough
nugfin

Postby fone » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:39 pm

Does anyone have any interpretation of what this song is about? I guess I'm asking more directly what this song says to you, if it says anything at all. I firmly don't believe Trey's compositions are devoid of messages, either direct, obscure or totally subliminal.

Saw a trailer yesterday of a documentary about to be released by Miramax called 'Bully'. And the main character, in a way, reminded me of a ten year old Trey. Then on the ride home, I just happened to be listening to the 2010 Camden Guyute, and the whole song seemed to fall into place.

Guyute was the ugly pig
Who walked on me and danced a jig
That he had learned when he was six
Then stopped and did some other tricks

Like pulling weapons from his coat
And holding them against my throat
He lectured me in language strange
And scampered quickly out of range

I'm bouncing like a newborn elf
I can't remain inside myself
Guyute glances in my eyes
And manages to hypnotize

Me as I sleep the sleep of death
He sucks from me my only breath
That I had breathed since I was ten
I hope this happens once again
Go down in your own way
And everyday is the right day
And as you rise above the fear lines in his frown
You look down
Hear the sound of the faces in the crowd
fone
The Sage

Postby goldphish » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:37 am

^i always tended towards interpreting lyrics in the context of tripping at a show. "Guyute" being some unsavory character you might come across whilst tripping the balls whilst having your mind blow by Guyute the song at a phish show... or maybe you played the part of guyute on someone who was the newborn elf. its all pretty ambiguous by design really. thats the point. and you wish it happens again... you want your mind blown at phish shows, thats why your there. i really don't think there is anything actually meaningful in these lyrics.. its just a bunch of nonsense. fantastic nonsense. fantastic, intriguing... you think you understand but any meaning seems to just slip thru your fingers... its meant to confuse. but the dead wrote that book.
goldphish
White Mountain Scallop

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby fone » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:07 pm

^Love you dearly Jefferson, but don't agree with you at all. Music or art for that matter is a trippy thing from our aspect of the process, but I don't believe it is for one moment for the artist. This is a totally composed piece of music, and Trey has always been about the seriousness of composition in expressing himself just the way he wants to. There is definite structure and intent in the music and in the lyrics.

It may appear as a modern or impressionistic style of art where the individual pieces of the composition may echo confusion or chaos, but taken as a whole, Guyute is about something specific, an emotion or the evolution of an emotion of Trey's experience. At very least, the first two stanzas of lyric, set the stage or define the thought for the musical composition and emotion that follows. The last two stanzas reflect upon the experience and the closing musical refrain completes the feeling.

There's no nonsense in Guyute. It's about celebration, elation, exultation, festivity, joy, jubilance for having overcome, vanquishing, conquering, thwarting torment, oppression, or, in a more generic sense, personal fear.
Go down in your own way
You look down
fone
The Sage

Postby goldphish » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:44 pm

This is the interesting thing about phish music, dead music or any artist who dips into the waters of impressionism... the song is like a Rorschach Test, so to speak. In the least, Bill, you can agree with me that the lyrical content and musical passage is up for interpretation. Stating that Guyute is about something specific might be true but you fail to put your finger on it, you fail to specify that one thing it is about... instead you cite about 20 things. Has the artist himself been specific? It lends itself to chaos, confusion. In particular this song evokes more chaos then probably any other phish piece with the grinding segments before the final stanzas and the final elation brings the listener out of the dark places the song has traversed. The only thing that keeps the listener grounded is the songs predictability as a composed piece, rarely does it go type II no?

If you play this piece to any average music listener, particularly one without the benefit of having tripped before they'd have no fucking clue as to what was going on. I also don't hold the artist as someone who has a total inside track on these things. How many times has an artist expressed the art "flowing thru" him? The artist is not above or below any of our ordinary human experiences... its just they happen to have talent and are a conduit for the phenomenal to flow. Is this special? Sure. Is it ordinary? Yes. Art has a beautiful way of moving our energy, making it dance... but before the artist there is the phenomenal world... the sun, the wind, sex, mountains, sound, colors... light... artists take what they have, what we all have, and package it in a different way. But not for a minute do I believe they are in complete control... they may start out trying to express a feeling or idea, engage in a process, try to "get it right" but there is still an element of confusion there, chaos. Its that groundlessness that make us feel like we.... float.

good topic bill, headzy ;)
goldphish
White Mountain Scallop

Postby fone » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:10 pm

Went looking for something that might elucidate and found this on Phish.net by Chris Bertolet, and old rmp friend:

http://phish.net/song/guyute/history
Go down in your own way
You look down
fone
The Sage

Postby goldphish » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:48 pm

Ah I see what you're saying bill, that the different passages are meant to evoke distinct feelings... i understand what you're saying... i guess i'm getting at how one interprets those feelings thru one's own subjective lens... which can be tricky.
goldphish
White Mountain Scallop

Postby PardonMe Doug » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:04 pm

I honestly feel that most of the Trey/Tom lyrics from the early days and most of the 90's are just stories. Either stories...well-written poetic stories that happen to be set to some amazing music. They have the capabilities of being wordsmiths in the sense that they choose the words carefully to give them the proper rhythm, tone and cadence. But when they write them, they're just trying to tell a story. I just picture Tom going "ooh, I got a good idea for a creepy / weird story" as opposed to "I have a message I want to send". Idk...not that there's anything wrong with finding interpretation and meaning in these and other Phish lyrics...I just don't really think that intent is there upon their creation. I think it depends on the listener, their mood, and their experiences...some times I listen to a Phish song I've heard 1000 times and one day the song or lyrics suddenly mean something, whereas they didn't before. Again I keep coming back to the point that they are just great story tellers and write music that enhances the words they are singing.

Until I read these posts, I have never asked what the meaning of the lyrics to Guyute are. Which is interesting, because Lisa and will be listening to Phish and she'll ask me "what is this song about?" And my reaction is usually "uh...um...I don't know". And she always laughs and says "you've listened to this song 1000 times and you have no idea what it's about?". But that's the way I listen to Phish...if I define the meaning of a song, then that's it. The song is over, and it is what it is. If I don't, I allow the song to create new feelings, emotions, and meaning each time I listen to it. So usually, when she brings it up, I end up saying "the song is about enjoying and appreciating life". Because in the end, that's what Phish does for me.
PardonMe Doug

Postby goldphish » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:30 pm

^yeah Doug, thats pretty much how i feel about it, i find their lyrics to be very subjective and can mean different things to me at different times... but like i stated i always tended to interpret the lyrics in context of tripping at a show... this is where the music is intended to be listened to and, if i'm not mistaken, especially earlier works, its intended to be listened to under the influence. things changed as they grew older but i was there as early as 93' (course that was late to the scene compared to many folks) and it was a hippie trip fest with goofball lyrics like glide, gin and reba... there was no "joy" back then (thank god). ;)

fone wrote:Does anyone have any interpretation of what this song is about? I guess I'm asking more directly what this song says to you,

and besides bill you set me up! ;)

however to expand your horizons.. as phish fans tend to be myopic at times ;) ... as far as a rock composition with creative lyrics, thematic musical passages and emotive expressions check this out---->

Voivod- Jack Luminous. beware this song kicks some natalie portman butt. destructive at times, sublime, serene at others. 17 min of bliss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afH7ByUeWpY

take some time, put on the headphones, read the lyrics with the song and you'll be rewarded.

from the commentary:
Voivod has pushed its musical sci-fi story to the end of infinity and re-emerged, reinvented, and revitalized itself countless times over and remains a respected name in circles where quality music and ideas, not gimmicks and trends, are held in high esteem.
goldphish
White Mountain Scallop

Postby fone » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:20 pm

and besides bill you set me up!

I wasn't trying to set you or anyone else up. I had my subjective interpretation of the song (and I'm talking about the song and not just the lyrics because you can't really separate them, at least not in this case), but I didn't want to provide mine and influence anyone else in the process of doing that. I was asking for how other folks interpret the song, and what it makes them feel or think about.

I found the Bertolet article after you responded the second time by googling "trey and guyute" together. It was interesting that Chris mentions Fluffhead, because in many ways, there is self reflection and torment in that song that is also overcome at the end leading into a triumphant outtro of celebration.

The point that I was trying to make to you is that there is conscious intent in the artistic process, and most of the time Trey is not just throwing paint on a canvas to see the pretty colors where they fall and building upon that. He may certainly do that during the jams, but not when he composes a piece like this one, or Harry Hood, or Reba, or the Show of Life, for sure.

Yeah, I'm kind of an ass for asking people to look at this stuff from a critics point of view instead of just enjoying what they hear without the cognitive apparatus parsing every phrase and word, but I enjoy understanding what all of you think, and then having a discourse on it.
Go down in your own way
You look down
fone
The Sage

Postby Brother » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:25 pm

fone wrote:Yeah, I'm kind of an ass for asking people to look at this stuff from a critics point of view instead of just enjoying what they hear without the cognitive apparatus parsing every phrase and word, but I enjoy understanding what all of you think, and then having a discourse on it.

I wish more people wanted to do this! Ha, I really tried to come up with something but it ended up being word jumble. This basically,
goldphish wrote:you think you understand but any meaning seems to just slip thru your fingers...
"Midnight on a carousel ride, reaching for the gold ring down inside/never could reach, it just slips away but I try."

This is the raw form of my thoughts, since you asked: Guyute is a person's imagination/talent/the thing that makes them tick. So that can drive them towards success "I hope this happens once again", or ruin "Like pulling weapons from his coat/and holding them against my throat". But from that ruin one hopefully learns a lesson "He lectured me in a language strange". The language is strange because when we're suffering it doesn't always make sense, but the word "lecture" rather than spoke or talked is important because it connotates learning. Or it simply fits the alliteration ;) . So it takes some time to decipher that lecture.

But all this just comes through my filter. And since I like stories about people ruined by their own genius or creativity (the candle that burns twice as bright burns half as long) it's gonna get that slant from me.
Brother

Postby goldphish » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:01 am

^thats great bro, interpretation. the wrong answer is its a song about an ugly pig who dances a jig and pulls weapons. :lol:

^^no worries bill. I hear your point and raise you two points. :lol: not to beat this to death but i keep coming back to the lsd and a song like guyute takes the listener on a trip and much like dropping a dose or 10, 20 whatever your preference, there is a beginning that is full of anticipation and pretty benign but pretty soon things begin to wobble:
Guyute was the ugly pig
Who walked on me and danced a jig
That he had learned when he was six
Then stopped and did some other tricks

then the dose takes more effect and things begin to get more intense and strange and confusing and scary and ...
Like pulling weapons from his coat
And holding them against my throat
He lectured me in language strange
And scampered quickly out of range

then-----> musical passage 2... um guess things quiet down here ha.
then musical passage 3 really boggles, the bottom falls out, sanity blurs... the peak or whatever...
I'm bouncing like a newborn elf
I can't remain inside myself
Guyute glances in my eyes
And manages to hypnotize

after surfing that you begin to coalesce, things begin to fall into place:
Me as I sleep the sleep of death
He sucks from me my only breath
That I had breathed since I was ten
I hope this happens once again

and finally you hit the glory or joy or bliss of the whole thing, the ell ess deeeeee maaaan. :lol:

anyway thats how i see it. i know its teh_ghey. any normal person would listen to this song and give it a hearty WTF!

fluffhead is pretty much the same for me as far as drugs trippy acid thing... i know its was inspired by Tom's sick brother, cancer? right? inspired by a young man who had cancer anyway... i :think:

YEM, Hood, Slave, Bowie on the other hand are rock compositions that kick the donkey's ass.
goldphish
White Mountain Scallop

Postby hosemasterflex » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:59 am

I think the Dude of Life wrote the Fluff words, nothing to do w/Tom :?:

This thread is handy, I've been meaning to think about what these words mean but I can't figure out where I put that intention.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby Brother » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:12 am

The Dude of Life said he wrote Fluffhead for his brother who died from cancer. :geek:

goldphish, everyone knows Harry Hood is about life, death, and rebirth. Duh.
Brother

Postby goldphish » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:32 am

:wtf: i thought it was about milk.

what are you a walking phish.net? pbbbbt!

;)
goldphish
White Mountain Scallop

Postby PardonMe Doug » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:00 pm

goldphish wrote: pbbbbt!

Dude, did you just motorboat drew? Awwwwwkwaaaaard...

fone wrote:
The point that I was trying to make to you is that there is conscious intent in the artistic process, and most of the time Trey is not just throwing paint on a canvas to see the pretty colors where they fall and building upon that. He may certainly do that during the jams, but not when he composes a piece like this one, or Harry Hood, or Reba, or the Show of Life, for sure.

I kind of disagree here. Respectfully, of course. Maybe if you said a subconscious intent I would agree, but honestly I think back then Trey thought a lot more about the mechanics of the music / composition than the MEANING of the lyrics. I guess then, maybe I am agreeing...I just always pictured him taking a set of lyrics and using the underlying music to give them meaning and emotion. Because when I take the lyrics to Guyute at face value and out of context (ie, just read them on the computer screen)...they really don't make any fucking sense at all. That's the brilliance of early Trey tunes. They are capable of creating feelings that are sometimes quite contrary to what the lyrics are about. Like the end of Esther...the girl drowns to death but the music is so light and pretty that it took me several listens to actually comprehend that the girl was dead lol.

Best example: Dinner and a Movie. It's the same phrase repeated over and over, yet set to different styles of music which give that same phrase different undertones. The last two sections create this nice juxtaposition where it goes from this nice, swooning feel of asking a girl out on a date to this more twisted, wicked feel of asking a girl out on a date because you really just want to fuck them. However, I don't think trey explicitly set out to send those actual messages when he wrote it, but created the differing emotional landscapes for the listener to experience and interpret themselves.

I guess it's a subtle line between the two, but to me that's the brilliance of it. And maybe I'm wrong...either way it won't change the way I listen to them or appreciate them.

Yeah, I'm kind of an ass for asking people to look at this stuff from a critics point of view instead of just enjoying what they hear without the cognitive apparatus parsing every phrase and word, but I enjoy understanding what all of you think, and then having a discourse on it.

It's funny the way you put that because when I set out to criticize music (Phish or any one else), I personally don't consider the cognitive analysis of every phrase and word to be meaningful. It's the overall feeling...the underlying "something else" that gives good music its special quality. Kind of like the whole being equal to more than the sum of its parts. Being able to enjoy music without the cognitive process is what it's all about to me. I spend all day thinking and scheming and planning and working my brain. I listen to music to get away from that. Again, why I like jazz and symphony music so much. I can just sit back and enjoy it for what it is, not what it means. This is for me personally, and I wouldn't dare say that anybody who does it differently is 'doing it wrong'.
PardonMe Doug

Postby goldphish » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:53 pm

Well, I guess I did. It's in the record now. Tho it was intended as more of a pffft than a pbbt. As opposed to a phhhhft or pppppbt. I need a class on this shit.

after thought: you could also interpret "guyute" symbolically as transformative adversity that kills the person we once were... and after seeing the process and the growth, even if it "killed" who we were, we'd gladly do it again.

guyute?
goldphish
White Mountain Scallop

Postby Phinst » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:48 pm

I tend to skip this song when listening to shows.

This song pwns though

:shifty:

We need a good Guyute this yr.

It has seemed to drop off a bit after it was played 6 times in 2011.

Maybe it's one of those tunes ala Flufhead, where it's harder for Trey to play, esp certain sections.
...Dip a ladle for a taste of her creation...& she knew that what she made...
would be the Finest in the Nation....

2017: Chicago x2: Dayton>Pittsburgh
Phinst

Previous

Return to Ghost - Guyute