Mike's Groove

Mike's Groove

Postby relaxation3 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:08 pm

I've listened to the 2-20-93 quite a bit now and I love it!!!! It's so intense listening to 2cd set b/c there all over the place. Lots of twezzer and lots of segues. Pretty confusing, all in a good way. Anyway has anybody checked out the Mike's on 7-17-98 from the Gorge. It's pretty damn exciting. The "paug" is just as sweet. Check it out and let me know what you think. It sounds soooooo good.
relaxation3
The Eggman

Blog: View Blog (0)

Mike's Groove

Postby jeff » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:25 pm

i don't really think you're going to be able to find a definitive mike's groove, since there are so many variations (frankie says, leprachaun, simple, steep > swept away, ect.), not to mention there are so many BADASS standalone mike's and 'paugs.
jeff
The Hair Of The Dog

Mike's Groove

Postby vernixx » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:05 pm

i don't really think you're going to be able to find a definitive mike's groove, since there are so many variations........not to mention there are so many BADASS standalone mike's and 'paugs.

Totally agreeeee.... ;)
vernixx

Mike's Groove

Postby ghost_2000 » Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:13 pm

I've listened to the 2-20-93 quite a bit now and I love it!!!! It's so intense listening to 2cd set b/c there all over the place. Lots of twezzer and lots of segues. Pretty confusing, all in a good way. Anyway has anybody checked out the Mike's on 7-17-98 from the Gorge. It's pretty damn exciting. The "paug" is just as sweet. Check it out and let me know what you think. It sounds soooooo good.

The Gorge "Groove" (preceded by a rather lengthy "2001") is the best "Groove" of the summer, without question. There is a funky-sweet jam out of "Mike's" and "Simple" is so dreamy and melodious. "Weekapaug" is tight. I would give this "Groove" an 8 out of 10 and place it just a notch below the 11.27.98 "Groove" in my book.
My room is round when I lay down, when I wake up it's square.
ghost_2000
The Apparition

Mike's Groove

Postby yem » Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:24 pm

11/27/98 or 6/22/94.
yem

Mike's Groove

Postby psychadelicsally » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:31 am

Probably one of the most raw is 3/17/89. This is absolutely unrealll! Everyone must check it out. The jam absolutely rocks balls. I could YSI it if anyone was interested but I only have an MP3 of it (I'm pretty sure its SBD). There is this cool funky ass vocal jam into Mike's Song and a bongo accompanyment. I really really dig this Mikes Groove. Absolute shredding on this beast. Its one of my favorite all-time Phish jams. The first time I heard it I was in disbelief, especially considering how early it was.
psychadelicsally

Mike's Groove

Postby fone » Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:00 pm

There's a vintage from the '97 Fall tour that I often revisit when I'm in the mood for a Groove with some character. It's from Philly, 12/2/97 second set that starts out Mike's->Simple->Dog Faced Boy->YaMar->Weekapaug.

A dark Mike's that moves up and down and all around to a gigantic finish before transitioning into Simple. The Simple fades into some nice noodling by Page and Trey and Mike and Trey before moving unexpectedly into DFB. They move effortlessly into the "Grandpoodie" YaMar with an outro that is just incredible. They are so far out there at the end of the YaMar, that the Weekapaug starts in an odd key or diminished tempo that adds a strange flavor to the version. But then Trey and Fish get into this "competition" to see who can pump the rhythm up faster and faster.

A Groove to savor.

Go down in your own way
And everyday is the right day
And as you rise above the fear lines in his frown
You look down
Hear the sound of the faces in the crowd
fone
The Sage

Mike's Groove

Postby roses18 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:48 pm

Not sure if it was mentioned but the Camden '03 Mike's groove is most likely the best post-hiatus, straight forward groove.

I must say I was always a fan of Mikes>Simple but I've never heard it put directly back into Paug. I would be interested to hear a straight forward Mikes>Simple>Weekapaug.
roses18

Mike's Groove

Postby jawbone » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:02 pm

12/31/03 Miami was an EXPLOSIVE Mike's Groove!

not one bad note played the entire time. and i'll never forget the glowsitcks raining down over me like getting barrelled by a wave from the upper deck during Hydrogen.

ahhhhhh. i'll be pretty spaced out in that memory for the rest of the day now, thanks.
[#42?] nothin' shakin' but the leaves on the trees
jawbone
Skunk Ape Expatriate

Mike's Groove

Postby alright » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:18 pm

certainly dont think its THE definitive version but

10/8/94

Mike's Song->Simple->Mike's SOng->I am Hydrogen->Weekapaug Groove, Fluffhead

damn shawdy
#23 So back off
alright
Teh Taintless Wonder

Mike's Groove

Postby roses18 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:02 am

ooo damn spooks...i think i might need to get a copy of that show somehow
roses18

Mike's Groove

Postby rivshark86 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:28 am

Right now the one I favor is the one from it. I am sure that will change in a few days though.
rivshark86

Mike's Groove

Postby freebaracco » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:15 pm

I have always really grooved on any Mikes from Horn tour....Yeah they are not as long but the middle section when trey just sits back on rythm and lets Grippo, Russel, and Gears get the song up to steam is just incredible and when Trey forces himself back in it's priceless. Check out the one from the Academy in Albany NY probably my favorite of the bunch.
freebaracco
Iron Chef

Mike's Groove

Postby ghost_2000 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:13 am

giving props to one i just heard today for the first time in awhile...did my research to see if anyone had mentioned it; sure enough, Grabs666 is on top of his game!

Hampton '97! He is right about the "Weekapaug"...one of the finest. the audience reaction near the end is certanly palpable, almost unusual....then again it was a show-opening "Mikes Groove!"

ghost_2000
The Apparition

Mike's Groove

Postby bigB » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:27 am

O.K here it is. iwas listening to it for the first time in about a year and this is it. 12-31-97. Perfect is an understatement for this one. This is the second set.

Timber Ho
Mike's>
Piper>
Circus>
Roses>
Weekapaug.

Sick Sick Sick Sick!
As he saw his life run away from him 1000's ran along chanting words from a psalm.
bigB
Wookie-Tamer

Blog: View Blog (1)

Mike's Groove

Postby relaxation3 » Mon May 01, 2006 6:56 pm

I was watching the 98 Halloween show and spent some time really paying attention the music and the Mikes I thought was going really good, building some good ground and reaching a high point, then just coming to a quick end. The transition into Frankie Says didn't flow very smoothly in my opinion...The Paug though is where the real energy came shining through...It was like an intense roller coaster just going up and up and up...Almost like it was never ending..Just growing higher. Super intense Paug to end the first set.
relaxation3
The Eggman

Mike's Groove

Postby roofnapkin » Tue May 02, 2006 5:41 pm

^ i really like that first set though, the mike's is alright, but you're right the 'Paug is smokin'.

12/31/03 Miami was an EXPLOSIVE Mike's Groove!

not one bad note played the entire time. and i'll never forget the glowsitcks raining down over me like getting barrelled by a wave from the upper deck during Hydrogen.

ahhhhhh. i'll be pretty spaced out in that memory for the rest of the day now, thanks.

relisten to that mike's...(and this is from memory) i believe the end chord segment before Hydrogen is flubbed a little by trey at first. other than that though it's a great Mike's, the hydrogen and 'Paug are REAL nice too.
So it seems... that the world keeps on turnin'
roofnapkin
Northern Jedi

Mike's Groove

Postby gregradiohead » Sun May 07, 2006 3:39 am

Mike's Groove = yawn fest, post-hiatus.
gregradiohead
Goderator

Mike's Groove

Postby pgec3 » Sun May 07, 2006 8:18 pm

Can't ever go wrong with the Groove from 12/31/98. Other than that I really like the one from 11/27/98 that several others have mentioned. Also I like the fact that those two shows have two of the best Antelopes in them.
pgec3

Mike's Groove

Postby ghost_2000 » Sun May 07, 2006 10:45 pm

Mike's Groove = yawn fest, post-hiatus.

more or less.

ghost_2000
The Apparition

Mike's Groove

Postby willbreathes » Sun May 07, 2006 11:01 pm

^ The only post-hiatus one that excited me was first night of Deer Creek in '03.

I thought for sure the set was over after Birds of a Feather...

Then I figured it was over after Mike's and the Paug would be coming later...

Then they raged during Weekapaug.

That was one long (although not really amazing) set!
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Mike's Groove

Postby gregradiohead » Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:26 am

Mike's Groove is cool, but it's Mike's ability to groove that I love best.
gregradiohead
Goderator

Mike's Groove

Postby lifeandhowtoliveit » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:42 am

OMG...has anyone noticed the tease of Maria from West Side Story during maybe around the 5-7 min mark of the Weekapaug from 12/31/95. Apparently Trey wanted to do West Side Story as the costume one year...would've been exquisite...
lifeandhowtoliveit
The Understudy

Mike's Groove

Postby gregradiohead » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:19 am

Huh, really?? Never noticed it.
I busted out my copy of SS&P two days ago. I forgot how fantastic the Weekapaug is!! The ending is a jam or quote or some song, but I just can't think of it...
gregradiohead
Goderator

Mike's Groove

Postby willbreathes » Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:21 pm

^ 'Cant you Hear Me Knockin' by the Rolling Stones.
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

PreviousNext

Return to Maggie's Revenge - The Moma Dance