What do they have planned for The Baker's Dozen?

Live Phish discussion.

Re: What do they have planned for The Baker's Dozen?

Postby Harpua » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:03 pm

Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby ghost » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:11 pm

We've squozen our whole supply!

Last three shows. I think it's going to be good. YEM has to be in there somewhere.
ghost
Human Being

Postby Phinst » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:54 pm

^Lemon=YEMon
...Dip a ladle for a taste of her creation...& she knew that what she made...
would be the Finest in the Nation....

2017: Chicago x2: Dayton>Pittsburgh
Phinst

Postby willbreathes » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:13 pm

Everything In It's Right Place.

edit- or, it may be more fitting to play that one tomorrow.
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby Harpua » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:05 pm

Have they played a song that was specific to the Federal Donut of the night, or has it all been just the broad donut type? Example: Theme = Holes; Federal Donut = Chocolate and Peanut Butter dust.

Tonight's Theme = Lemon; Federal Donut = Lemon w/ Poppy. Does poppy matter?

I saw someone call "Somewhere over the Rainbow." Which kinda hits both.
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby willbreathes » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:57 am

willbreathes wrote:Everything In It's Right Place.

edit- or, it may be more fitting to play that one tomorrow.

Oh (ginger)snap.
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby Harpua » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:05 pm

This is the theme that Page mentioned in the Relix article that is referenced in that Rolling Stone article:

" 'Boston Creme' night would feature only covers by Boston and Cream"

A lot can be done with this theme!
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby ghost » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:23 pm

I hope for a full-on electric Foreplay/Longtime, but I really like Boston. I also hope for a full-on Strange Brew, but I really like Cream. There are so many other possibilities with teases and quotes and such.
ghost
Human Being

Postby ghost » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:57 pm

Two nights left. Not much time to play a lot of songs...especially if there are long jams. Will there be Petrichor? Will there be YEM? Certainly not on the same night...right? Ghost? Light? I think they will finish it all with the Tweezer Reprise that we know is out there. Will that Tweezer reprise include a jam of some kind/length?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vQ_-8mMbUu0FWIC4wABzxwx6VXNPZgJMD_gz-B-warTfN078J3Y1WlYStwnt-R-KrpU-saX0W2DWnkH/pubhtml?gid=1718107594&single=true
ghost
Human Being

Postby Harpua » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:04 pm

No clue what this means, but I am sorta bummed that this run is coming to an end. It has been really enjoyable. I wasn't able to make it to a Baker's Dozen show, but streaming and chatting with everyone who pops in on the Oh Kee Pa chat has been a really positive experience. It is probably the next best thing to being at the show.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby henrietta » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:04 pm

Who's got my extra for tonight?
henrietta

Postby ghost » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:23 pm

Harpua wrote:...I am sorta bummed that this run is coming to an end. It has been really enjoyable. I wasn't able to make it to a Baker's Dozen show, but streaming and chatting with everyone who pops in on the Oh Kee Pa chat has been a really positive experience. It is probably the next best thing to being at the show.

This messageboard has always been special to me. Lots of people come and go and come and go, but it's always great...though it's oftentimes deserted when Phish is not on tour. But 2005-2009 had no Phish at all, and this place was still great.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vQ_-8mMbUu0FWIC4wABzxwx6VXNPZgJMD_gz-B-warTfN078J3Y1WlYStwnt-R-KrpU-saX0W2DWnkH/pubhtml?gid=1718107594&single=true

The list is short. What will we hear for sure tonight? Simple, YEM, Tweezer Reprise? I vote 'no' on Bouncing and Loving Cup. Rift would be cool. I say no more Big Boat...no Tide Turns. Camel Walk? Maybe a tease of an already played song with a quick, smooth segue into Saw It Again? (Might be cool, but I say it's too goofy for tonight.) Contact? Waste? No Wombat, please. I like The Old Home Place. Fast Enough For You? Dog Faced Boy? New covers?

It's going to be good.
ghost
Human Being

Postby willbreathes » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:44 pm

^ You listed the setlist, pretty much. Obviously the choices were limited, but still pretty damn impressive.

And heck yeah, Izabella.
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby SirChompsAlot » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:56 pm

Here's a NYT article with a Trey interview post Baker's Dozen...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/08/arts ... rview.html

I liked the part about the jazz and bluegrass bands. "It wasn’t good, but we feel like it’s part of our heritage."
It's awesome that they explored those genres and broadened their skills.

It's really interesting to see that they didn't really have 100% defined setlists, which I would imagine they'd have to have to pull something like that (no repeats) off.
SirChompsAlot

Postby booztravlr » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:30 pm

I was hoping there would be a recap from one of the members. Really wish they had recordings of the Johnny-B Fishman Jazz Ensemble. I remember this band being mentioned during stage banter of some older recordings like the time when Fishman gets lost in the Colorado woods and run up a tree by a bear, the band had to play without him. Anyways, I'm way off target here...

Don't think I'll commit ~35 hours to listen to every show so I wanted to construct a top 13 song list from the Baker's Dozen. The only show I listened to front to back was the Jam night. So, the Lawn Boy and Crosseyed are deserving of a spot in this list. 11 more to go. What say you!
the eleven | To weird to live, to rare to die.
booztravlr
Mr Boombastic

Postby y0n » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:41 am

booztravlr wrote:I was hoping there would be a recap from one of the members. Really wish they had recordings of the Johnny-B Fishman Jazz Ensemble. I remember this band being mentioned during stage banter of some older recordings like the time when Fishman gets lost in the Colorado woods and run up a tree by a bear, the band had to play without him. Anyways, I'm way off target here...

Don't think I'll commit ~35 hours to listen to every show so I wanted to construct a top 13 song list from the Baker's Dozen. The only show I listened to front to back was the Jam night. So, the Lawn Boy and Crosseyed are deserving of a spot in this list. 11 more to go. What say you!

My 13, designed to cover a range of jam styles:

Lawn Boy
Crosseyed
Carini
Mikes -> O Holy Night
Drowned
ASIHTOS
Taste
Light
Simple
YEM
SaSS
Chalkdust
Steep

Subject to change of course.
y0n

Postby Harpua » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:05 am

^ Yeah, that is a solid list. I would have to put 1999->Jam on it, but I don't know what I would remove from yours to do that... Maybe Light or Chalkdust. The mandatory listening is Lawn Boy, Crosseyed, ASIHTOS, and Steep.

Do you guys remember in 2016 when The Cubs won The World Series? Well, many of you might not be aware of the phenomenon that occurred in Chicagoland immediately following the win all they way up until Trump was elect president, but an orb of blue light descended on the greater Chicago area, and for a few days, people were not only pleasant, but down right friendly. The collective pronoun "We" was used more in those days than it has ever been used before.

Although the entire Phish community trembled with excitement in the days leading up to and including the Coconut, Strawberry, and Red Velvet shows, the orb that was positioned squarely over Madison Square Garden had not yet entered the visible light spectrum. The world woke up on the morning of July 25, 2017, to a faintly glowing violet light in the sky. This light did not incite panic or fear, but rather joy!

For the next few days, passers by would notice this mass of pure light in the sky and stare with wide-eyed wonder. The uninitiated would ask about the light, out of curiosity - not fear, and would smile a warm and understanding smile once given an explanation. Eventually the mainstream media took notice, and gave praise to the light. Any camera that captured the light would also capture and transmit the positive affects of the light to all those who watched remotely.

It was about 10:30 eastern time on July 30, 2017 when the orb of light revealed itself not to be a sphere, but rather a three-torus of radiance, made up every color within the visible light spectrum.

On the night of August 6, 2017, a banner was raised to honor the joyous occasion, music, and the light. Grown men sang through the lumps in their throats and tears in their eyes, as they stood in the light for the last moments of what was the most amazing, and inimitable event our community has seen in a long, long time.

If you listen to the encore, Trey gets emotional during the first verse, and then Page gets emotional during the second verse.( "...The life I love is making music with my friends..." "...seeing things I might never see again..." respecitvely.) And they aren't wrong. Phish played at a very high level, for 13 nights at one venue, without repeating a single song. It is unlikely that we will ever see that again. I am glad that so many of us got to either see it first hand, or watch it remotely and share the experience with one another.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby ghost » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:19 pm

Hell yeah, Tom.

Amazing post.

I'm listening to Tweezer and basking in the light right now.
ghost
Human Being

Postby hosemasterflex » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:12 pm

^2nd'd, thanks for that great post!! :clap:
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby Katiemay » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:45 pm

^^^Damn. That was excellent and very moving. I read through the lump in my throat. And the tears in my eyes. Thank you for sharing. I'm glad you remain an integral member of our community.
Katiemay

Previous

Return to Live Phish