Venues...

Live Phish discussion.

Venues...

Postby Real Talk YEM » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:58 am

I've only been to 'Pine and Creek of these venues to see Phish, and of those two it's Alpine. My opinion would most likely change had I been to each.
Real Talk YEM
Former TLD

Blog: View Blog (0)

Venues...

Postby Fee » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:01 am

I had to vote for Deer Creek. It's my hometown venue. Out of these I've only been to Alpine, Deer Creek and MSG.

Bonner Springs is pretty cool...Had a blast at Lakewood.

Oh you know what is a real underrated venue....Blossom in Cuyahoga Falls. That's a damn cool place.

Deer Creek is still the winner for me.
Fee
20th Century Child

Venues...

Postby Ship Of Fools » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:03 am

I said "Other", and other for me is the Fox Theater in Atlanta. I know it's been posted before, but I'm gonna post a picture anyways, just so you can see why it's my favorite venue.

Yeah, that's the inside of the place. It has a roof that looks like the sky. It's the tits.
His soul swooned slowly as he heard the snow falling faintly through the universe and faintly falling, like the descent of their last end, upon all the living and the dead.
- James Joyce, "The Dead"
Ship Of Fools
Raving Lunatic

Venues...

Postby UB-40 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:35 am

^Also my favorite venue. That sky just does things for me.
#∞
You are a person who is high class. You are a person not in my class.
UB-40

Venues...

Postby ghost_2000 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:57 pm

Rectum damn near killed 'em.

I voted Hampton, with DC a close 2nd.
My room is round when I lay down, when I wake up it's square.
ghost_2000
The Apparition

Venues...

Postby marco » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:02 pm

Jack-A-Roe wrote:I said "Other", and other for me is the Fox Theater in Atlanta. I know it's been posted before, but I'm gonna post a picture anyways, just so you can see why it's my favorite venue.

Yeah, that's the inside of the place. It has a roof that looks like the sky. It's the tits.

Wow, that's awesome!
Reinvented, redefined; rearranged, but not refined
marco
One

Blog: View Blog (2)

Venues...

Postby pdavis510 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:56 pm

I LOVE the Fox theater - I have not seen Phish there, but I would love to. I know it's small, but what a beautiful place. I lived about 12 blocks from there for a few years (during the hiatus) and would love to go back. Atlanta is also such a great city, why wouldn't a Phish show there be great?
pdavis510

Venues...

Postby lawnboy357 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:08 pm

State Theatre K-zoo.
"One that makes me feel like I feel when I'm with you!"
lawnboy357

Venues...

Postby Atoms » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:34 pm

I'd say the Gorge with RR in a very close second. The colors in the sky at the gorge is what did it for me.
we are all being pursed. some have been found, some are still running. some will keep running until they get to the end of the road, straight off the proverbial cliff. you don't have to turn back, you just have to turn around.
Atoms
The Awoken

Venues...

Postby drbadgely » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:21 pm

Deer Creek, for the best sound of any outdoor venue I've been to. The air is 'right' within that place...
drbadgely

Venues...

Postby twist2piper » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:44 pm

I am assuming that The Gorge is not receiving that many votes because some pholks haven't been there yet, because I have been to every venue listed above and there is no doubt in my mind that Gorge rules all of these BY FAR!!!! As far as large scale venues it is untouchable, yes, thats right, even better than Red Rocks.

On site camping, the best sound of any outdoor venue in the country, the most picturesque venue possibly in the entire world, amazing sight lines throughout, an enormous GA floor area for all the hard dancers, humongous shakedown street area, incredibly remote, laid back security, and you never have to worry about rain.

Not a single venue on this list, nor any other venue in the country can offer half of the things that the Gorge offers. If you have not been there, make sure it happens before your touring days are over. The best venue in the country no question about it.
twist2piper

Venues...

Postby twist2piper » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:49 pm

Also, not trying to be rash, but if you voted for Hampton or Alpine Valley, you are nuts. Those are two of the worst venues around. Yeah the band loves playing these places and both have held some legendary shows, but common... Hampton is a dump of a venue. Hot, over crowded, and has some of the worst cops in the country, along with a terrible surrounding area. And Alpine, well to be honest, after attending 4 shows there I will never go back to that place. The lousiest outdoor amphitheater I have ever been to...
twist2piper

Venues...

Postby painter » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:14 pm

i had to go with the Gorge. That is one of the most amazing places i have ever been for a show. next in line would be Deer Creek then Alpine but those are like home venews to me
painter

Venues...

Postby painter » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:18 pm

oh yea and the fact that is all onsite camping makes for a hassel free experince. the only down fall of the Gorge is that exiting the Venue is a hudge pain in the ass
painter

Venues...

Postby timberho » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:51 pm

The sound at RR is just the best. Plus the vibe, the seating, the dancing space, everything just makes RR #1. Deer Creek is dear to my heart, but as an outdoor venue, RR has it beat!
Bethel Nite 2 & 3 > PNC Nite1 and 2, Mansfield > Darien > Camden, Tahoe Nite 1&2, Colorado Nite1, 2 & 3[size=150][/size]
timberho

Venues...

Postby Fee » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:21 am

twist2piper wrote:I am assuming that The Gorge is not receiving that many votes because some pholks haven't been there yet, because I have been to every venue listed above and there is no doubt in my mind that Gorge rules all of these BY FAR!!!! As far as large scale venues it is untouchable, yes, thats right, even better than Red Rocks.

On site camping, the best sound of any outdoor venue in the country, the most picturesque venue possibly in the entire world, amazing sight lines throughout, an enormous GA floor area for all the hard dancers, humongous shakedown street area, incredibly remote, laid back security, and you never have to worry about rain.

Not a single venue on this list, nor any other venue in the country can offer half of the things that the Gorge offers. If you have not been there, make sure it happens before your touring days are over. The best venue in the country no question about it.

Yup never been, but I have a question for any Gorge attendees. What's the deal with the backyard Fence type deal that separates the pavilion area (I assume) and the lawn area??? Are there seats??? Is it GA??? Some have seats in front of the fence and others have them in the lawn like a typical shed???? Enlighten this Gorge noob!
Fee
20th Century Child

Venues...

Postby twist2piper » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:01 am

The entire venue is general admission. If you want to be in the lawn then hang back and stay in the lawn, if not, just walk down the walkway and enter the floor. No seats, just a wiiiide open dance floor. Big enough for half of the crowd no problem. Pretty sweet!
twist2piper

Venues...

Postby rastabilly » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:55 am

^they set out chairs down there for stuff like DMB just so they can charge $70 a ticket for the reserved floor seating.

I vote the Gorge, because it's the only one on the list that I've been to.
This isn't who it would be if it wasn't #2.

Listen to my band! www.opencountryjoy.bandcamp.com
rastabilly
Undercover Wook

Venues...

Postby Harpua » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:19 am

I voted for Alpine, but i should have voted other.

I saw 70 VP at charter one pavillion, GREAT VENUE.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Venues...

Postby Clark W. Griswold » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:11 pm

^I second this post!
We passed a goddamn gas station every 10 yards for 1000 miles, but when you really need one, you end up walking your ass off. This is no way to run a desert!
Praise Marty Moose!
Clark W. Griswold

Venues...

Postby ErrandWolfe » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:28 pm

Harpua wrote:Image

Hands down my fav venue in Chicago, saw Phil Lesh their several times......I would love if Phish could play there but fans would just break down the fence on the beach to get in....

For Phish, I would say the Gorge, since its such a beautiful area and the night sky is insane....Alpine would be 2nd since I have been there so many times, then i guess Deer Creek in 3rd...
Here's a place of elegance...
ErrandWolfe

Venues...

Postby SuperJay » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:44 pm

lawnboy357 wrote:State Theatre K-zoo.

Definitely a nice place to see a show. The Michigan here in A2 is great too, for local venues.

I gotta go with Red Rocks for the national scene. I love Deer Creek and Alpine since I've seen so many shows at those places, but RR was the bomb.
SuperJay

Blog: View Blog (1)

Venues...

Postby pdavis510 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:37 pm

ErrandWolfe wrote:
Harpua wrote:Image

Hands down my fav venue in Chicago, saw Phil Lesh their several times......I would love if Phish could play there but fans would just break down the fence on the beach to get in....

For Phish, I would say the Gorge, since its such a beautiful area and the night sky is insane....Alpine would be 2nd since I have been there so many times, then i guess Deer Creek in 3rd...

Widespread Panic and the Allman Bros are there in a week. I also agree that it's Chicago's best venue offering, but on occasion they have shows in the Chicago theatre. I love that place too. But I don't think it would be Phish friendly.
pdavis510

Venues...

Postby vermonster » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:04 pm

Comcast theater (The Meadows to locals).....Hartford...why? because its an hour from home.....a shit-hole yes...but its my shit-hole. Lots of memories there.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vermonster

Venues...

Postby Desmond The Family Berzerker » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:50 am

While Red Rocks and the Gorge may be the two most visually stunning venues on that list, and the others have intangible qualities that help make for an incredible vibe while playing host to some epic shows, I feel compelled to make a case for "THE WORLDS MOST FAMOUS ARENA".

MSG has a luxury that the others just can't compete with. It is in the epicenter of the world. As you take the escalator up from Penn station and empty out into Penn Plaza you can feel the energy of NYC mixed with the energy that THE CIRCUS has brought to town and cut it with a fucking knife.

And though many refer to Hampton as Phishs home ice advantage, no other venue has played host to more Holiday shows. The sound is great there, the band loves playing there, you can take the energy you attained from a great show and bring it with you to after show parties at The Lions Den, BB Kings, The Wetlands(until 2001), ....anywhere in NYC you want and party til dawn.

I will always remember fondly taking the LIRR in Dec. 97 and 98, hitting a bar for a few drinks preshow, go watch Phish throw down, go to an after show jam, taking a 5 am train home, wake up at noon to do it ALL OVER AGAIN!

Oh and one other thing that Trey even talked about in 97, because of the way The Garden is structured on top of Penn station, you can actually feel the floor Groove underneath you as if you were catching someone else's jump on a concrete trampoline.

Summer 2010- Hartford 6/17-18, SPAC 6/19-20, Great Woods 6/21, Camden 6/24-25, Jones Beach 8/17-18
Desmond The Family Berzerker

Next

Return to Live Phish