Venues...

Live Phish discussion.

Venues...

Postby Ship Of Fools » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:51 am

Never been to the Gorge, and there's a good chance I never will, but it does look like one hell of a venue for sure. I do, however, plan on making it to Red Rocks someday. Much more doable for me than Gorge, and also more my cup of tea. I'm just all about mountains.

I was wondering though, for anyone who has been to both Hampton and the Asheville Civic Center, which one is worse as far as being hot and smoky and sweaty?
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
His soul swooned slowly as he heard the snow falling faintly through the universe and faintly falling, like the descent of their last end, upon all the living and the dead.
- James Joyce, "The Dead"
Ship Of Fools
Raving Lunatic

Blog: View Blog (0)

Venues...

Postby whyweigh228 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:24 am

Jones fuckin' Beach.....dammm solid venue, stage is on the ocean, the seating curves upward rather then extending back so even the ppl at the very back feel pretty close to the band
whyweigh228

Venues...

Postby twist2piper » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:50 am

^^ Yeah that venue does look pretty impressive. My only issue would be that they do not sell alcohol inside. Call me what you want, but I have to have beer at shows!! HAHA!
twist2piper

Venues...

Postby marco » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:47 am

Out of the venues One has seen pictures of, Red Rocks looks like the shit.

Out of the venues One has seen Phish at, Jones Beach was the coolest. A very interesting venue. Not the best in terms of sound though.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reinvented, redefined; rearranged, but not refined
marco
One

Blog: View Blog (2)

Venues...

Postby Real Talk YEM » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:42 pm

Jack-A-Roe wrote:I said "Other", and other for me is the Fox Theater in Atlanta. I know it's been posted before, but I'm gonna post a picture anyways, just so you can see why it's my favorite venue.

Yeah, that's the inside of the place. It has a roof that looks like the sky. It's the tits.
Me too. It's right near my house taboot and is a block from the dopeman's house so I used to like it even more. The sky and the whole thing is just spectacular. My first Trey show was there in '05.
I guess my intention with this thread was to see which venue is everyone's favorite overall experience. Logding, quality of shows, sound, feel, just the overall experience, not neccesarily which is the cleanest and best. That's why the rectum is on here. It's a dumb but the shows are off the chain.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Real Talk YEM
Former TLD

Venues...

Postby Atoms » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:50 pm

Methinks that the amount of Deer Creek votes has a direct relationship to the amount of IN residents on this board.
we are all being pursed. some have been found, some are still running. some will keep running until they get to the end of the road, straight off the proverbial cliff. you don't have to turn back, you just have to turn around.
Atoms
The Awoken

Venues...

Postby goldenroad » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:03 pm

I love the Gorge. Some people hate it though. Erin says she never wants to go back there. I can see why. It's hot as fuck, it's a mile and a half walk to the venue. It's out in the middle of nowhere...but these are kind of all reasons why I think being at the Gorge is such an incredible experience. I'd go back every year if I could, but I think I'm going to have a tough time convincing Erin to go back next year if they play there again...not because she didn't like the shows mind you. Her mind was as blown as mine, but you gotta have some cajones to deal with two days at the Gorge.
goldenroad
Undercover Wook

Venues...

Postby SuperJay » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:20 pm

^^ Not just IN, but Illinois, Ohio, Michigan, etc. Deer Creek is pretty much our summer venue in the Midwest, along with Alpine.

But yeah, in terms of comparing famous venues, I don't really think the Creek measures up to something like the Gorge or Red Rocks. I still love it because of all the good memories - and it IS a good ampitheatre IMO - but it's not particularly notable for being anything other than close to where I live (relatively speaking).
SuperJay

Blog: View Blog (1)

Venues...

Postby Mr. Hiatus » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:33 pm

I heart Deer Creek.....the sound is above excellent for an ampitheatre of that size.....and there is a TON of camping available, most within a short walk to the lots...........it is a fantastic venue for a two or three day run, as we have seen in the past.
Summer 2010 : Deer Creek -> Deer Creek > Alpine -> Alpine

On hiatus.
Mr. Hiatus

Venues...

Postby roofnapkin » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:12 pm

goldenroad wrote:I love the Gorge. Some people hate it though. Erin says she never wants to go back there. I can see why. It's hot as fuck, it's a mile and a half walk to the venue. It's out in the middle of nowhere...but these are kind of all reasons why I think being at the Gorge is such an incredible experience. I'd go back every year if I could, but I think I'm going to have a tough time convincing Erin to go back next year if they play there again...not because she didn't like the shows mind you. Her mind was as blown as mine, but you gotta have some cajones to deal with two days at the Gorge.

allow me to retort... (more directed at erin, obviously ;))

a) it was NOT hot out... it was 80-85 each day, with a nice breeze. yes that sun can get a bit hot, but it was perfect weather, imo. a week earlier it was 100+ degrees each day, imagine what that would have been like

b) the walk to the venue wasn't THAT bad. our walk from our campsite at creek was just as long, if not longer

i didn't hear one person saying they didn't like it there. maybe i just talked to the right/wrong people i guess.

like you, devin, i'm gonna try to go back there every year phish plays. simply amazing. a different kind of awesome than red rocks... better in a lotta ways, imo

edit:

f) you're a gimp
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So it seems... that the world keeps on turnin'
roofnapkin
Northern Jedi

Venues...

Postby goldenroad » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:14 pm

Sweet man. Give my girlfriend hell.
goldenroad
Undercover Wook

Venues...

Postby SuperJay » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:28 pm

^^^ Very true Mr Hood, the sound there can be great. And you're right about the camping too, I was just talkin bout the venue itself. Have you ever camped at Close-By Campgrounds? That place is a BLAST!
SuperJay

Venues...

Postby ghost_2000 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:03 pm

"You're a gimp," he says.

BWAHA!
My room is round when I lay down, when I wake up it's square.
ghost_2000
The Apparition

Venues...

Postby timberho » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:52 am

tube#47 wrote:
goldenroad wrote:I love the Gorge. Some people hate it though. Erin says she never wants to go back there. I can see why. It's hot as fuck, it's a mile and a half walk to the venue. It's out in the middle of nowhere...but these are kind of all reasons why I think being at the Gorge is such an incredible experience. I'd go back every year if I could, but I think I'm going to have a tough time convincing Erin to go back next year if they play there again...not because she didn't like the shows mind you. Her mind was as blown as mine, but you gotta have some cajones to deal with two days at the Gorge.

allow me to retort... (more directed at erin, obviously ;))

a) it was NOT hot out... it was 80-85 each day, with a nice breeze. yes that sun can get a bit hot, but it was perfect weather, imo. a week earlier it was 100+ degrees each day, imagine what that would have been like

b) the walk to the venue wasn't THAT bad. our walk from our campsite at creek was just as long, if not longer

i didn't hear one person saying they didn't like it there. maybe i just talked to the right/wrong people i guess.

like you, devin, i'm gonna try to go back there every year phish plays. simply amazing. a different kind of awesome than red rocks... better in a lotta ways, imo

edit:

f) you're a gimp

The Gorge just didn't do it for me. Maybe it was too hyped up. I didn't like that the floor was all open, no aisles bugged the shit out of me. Seriously, trying to move on that floor was tough! no bathrooms beside those nasty port-a-pottys (not that i go to a show for the toilet). Sure the view is amazing, and even more so on a clear day. The walk was kind of refreshing, I like taking a stroll.

RR is amazing! The views are just as great! Here you are in the canyon as opposed to looking down on it. You get your space to dance, you get space for your friends to come and dance with you, you can get in and out easily to take a piss in a real toilet, there are decent food options for those who need it.

But let's focus on what is most important... and that would be the sound! The sound at RR is like no other! Seriously, the sound is the best at this venue, particularly when looking at outdoor venues.

My 2 cents. ;)
Bethel Nite 2 & 3 > PNC Nite1 and 2, Mansfield > Darien > Camden, Tahoe Nite 1&2, Colorado Nite1, 2 & 3[size=150][/size]
timberho

Venues...

Postby Ship Of Fools » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:05 am

Having never been to any of the venues of the list, I would say with NO hesitation whatsoever that I would most want to go to Red Rocks. It's the most legendary venue in the country for a very good reason.
His soul swooned slowly as he heard the snow falling faintly through the universe and faintly falling, like the descent of their last end, upon all the living and the dead.
Ship Of Fools
Raving Lunatic

Venues...

Postby soundboy1 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:44 am

pdavis510 wrote:I LOVE the Fox theater - I have not seen Phish there, but I would love to. I know it's small, but what a beautiful place. I lived about 12 blocks from there for a few years (during the hiatus) and would love to go back. Atlanta is also such a great city, why wouldn't a Phish show there be great?

Best place to see a show in the entire country. I was enthralled....
soundboy1

Venues...

Postby Highway_Bill » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:24 am

^EPIC YEM from the second night of that 95 run. I'm way jealous. Those WERE the shows you were reffering to, correct?
WAZUP MA SHNIGGYS!
Highway_Bill
Good

Venues...

Postby soundboy1 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:03 am

Correct. Except I only got in the first night.........but the venue is the ultimate venue......Arabian nights theme with stars overhead.....Wow!
soundboy1

Venues...

Postby jawbone » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:51 pm

Gorge.

no contest.
[#42?] nothin' shakin' but the leaves on the trees
jawbone
Skunk Ape Expatriate

Venues...

Postby Real Talk YEM » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:29 am

Phish at the Fox again in the fall would be MONEY. But I would end up getting my heart put in the blender because I wouldn't be able to get tickets, so I'm hoping for Philips.
Real Talk YEM
Former TLD

Venues...

Postby JeLlYpHiSh97 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:02 pm

Alpine for me, been to Hampton, but something about alpine just rocks. With one being inside and the other outside, i would say alpine is my favorite outside and Hampton for inside. Hard to have much of an opinion here though....lol..
JeLlYpHiSh97

Venues...

Postby soundboy1 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:22 am

Sugarbush 94-95 was pretty sweet....The sound wasn't that great but those were great shows! sugarbush 95 was the precursor to all the other great end of summer tour enders....
soundboy1

Venues...

Postby Ship Of Fools » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:21 am

OK so can someone explain to me why exactly the Gorge is so awesome. And I'm not looking for anything like, "What's not awesome about it?" I want to hear some actual things about it that make it so awesome, whether they are things about the venue or a spiritual feeling about the place or whatever. The view looks cool and everything, but it's a water-filled valley off the side of a plateau; to me that isn't nearly as cool as the Rocky Mountains.

So yeah, I'm not trying to say that the Gorge isn't a good venue, I would just like to hear some specifics about the venue and what makes it good/bad. I am mainly curious because there is only about a one in a billion chance that I would ever go there, so I'd like to hear about it from some people who have been.
Ship Of Fools
Raving Lunatic

Venues...

Postby goochy » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:34 pm

jellyphish97 wrote:Alpine for me, been to Hampton, but something about alpine just rocks. With one being inside and the other outside, i would say alpine is my favorite outside and Hampton for inside. Hard to have much of an opinion here though....lol..

I've only seen Phish at Alpine and I think I'm pretty much burned out on being out in the lawn. Even if you're at the very front edge of the lawn (like I was on 6/20) you're still a pretty good ways away from the stage. I think if I go back to see them at Alpine I'll spend the extra dough to procure pavilion seating.

Here's to hoping for a fall tour and a visit to Allstate Arena or something similar in the Midwest so I can get there and see it. :)
goochy

Re: Venues...

Postby the dooj » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:10 pm

"The good outnumber you, and we always will."
the dooj

PreviousNext

Return to Live Phish