Venues...

Live Phish discussion.

Re: Venues...

Postby willbreathes » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:20 pm

Member Projects is :arrow: way.

:wave:
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby the dooj » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:22 pm

I don't do "member projects" brah. :P :wave:
"The good outnumber you, and we always will."
the dooj

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby AsianGirl » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:14 am

^^ Nice pics in your blog, Dooj!

Thanks to Phish, I've been at 4 of your 15 awesome venues!
*Everything from now on is all Gravy*
AsianGirl

Postby Mulch » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:20 am

the gorge has its ups and downs. in 2009, the gorge was the point my girlfriend realized that life on tour could really suck (she had a bit of a breakdown, stressed, crying, got lost after a shower that something prevented her from enjoying). another brother and sister on the road met pretty much the same roadblock at the gorge. was it the venue or our better halves realizing how ridiculous our hobby was and how much it sucks as a girl to pee in a porta potty? not sure, but the gorge is not the easiest venue to see a show at. but are the rewards worth the effort?

the venue can be rough with porta potties, and a ridiculous hill that makes up the majority of the "dancefloor"

the walk to and from the campground was pretty rough. we decided to leave right after the 2nd show to try to get a jump on chicago, so we left the campground and parked in the normal lot. it was, by far, the oddest parking lot ever seen at a phish show. and not really in a good way. sure, we met a couple cool people, but for the most part, the non campers arrived right before the show and went in, and left right after the show. it was unlike any other phish parking lot experience i ever had (except for the one guy who kept running around the cars looking for his friend, molly ;) . i dont know if he ever found her he was yelling for her for so long)

the campgrounds are certainly not the best, being just a large field with fairly tall, untrimmed natural "grass" . it also takes forever to get there and the roads were a bit sketchy (less than clear markings on twisty 2 lane roads)

we got there late night the night prior to the first show and even though it was like 10 or 11 at night, we had a bitch of a time getting in with lines.

also, the acoustics werent as good as i was expecting. it wasnt bad or anything, but i would never say i went there for the awesome sound

now, for the good points. the view is incredible. the staff is awesome (i even got a staff girl to show me her boob when she caught me in the staff campground where i had been searching for an atm in the middle of the night - dont ask, but it was great and she had an awesome boob). no fuzz anywhere that i saw, plenty of room to camp. i met a lot of cool people there. the add ons (general store, food, camping) was all reasonable. i dont remember anything costing too much (i couldnt resist an impulse buy of a pound of bacon from the general store... which did not please my formerly vegan girlfriend). i also found plenty of porta potties provided and they were of the cleaner variety

i think the gentlemen are bound to enjoy this venue more than the ladies, but it is an adventure. plan to get dirty at this venue and exert some effort for whatever it is that you need

i do think it is worth at least a once in a lifetime trip because it is spectacularly beautiful, but unless it was your home venue, i don't imagine many people will feel the pull every time the gorge is played.

its no red rocks
Mulch

Postby Mulch » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:07 am

i think i may revisit this thread in the future. maybe a few times. i have seen phish in some cool venues, and it seems this thread could contain my ramblings perfectly

and might i say, that most of the time, outdoor venues all sound pretty much the same. the gorge and red rocks, i think are notably different

the gorge for the worse (although i am being kinda picky on this point), and red rocks for the much better (especially as you ascend higher in the venue)

i dont want to seem too critical of the gorge for the sound, as it is kinda negligible in the grand scheme of things, but it seems the big hole behold the stage sucks some of the depth of the sound away. it just seamed "thinner" at the gorge than any other outside venue.

as far as red rocks, those of you who have been there probably know this. the rocks add reverb to the sound. the higher up you go, the more pronounced the effect. and red rocks isnt paradise, it is pretty much a hike uphill to do anything (including get into the venue). its worth it, but be ready to work for it. and if you go up and pay attention to the sounds, you are in for a treat as the rocks add an entire new dimension to the music. it makes fat set 2 jams REALLY cool. i couldnt even imagine playing on that stage and hearing the sound come back after the mountain does its thing to it

i think because of the sound, i have to give red rocks the nod as best outdoor venue i saw phish at. it even beats out summer pops embarcadero from san diego 95 (it was on a peninsula type thing almost entirely surrounded by water... boats pulled up to watch the show) which has neutral if not slightly muffled audio (because of the water). it is better than the gorge even without the camping

when phish plays red rocks for 4 nights, it is because red rocks is that awesome. what other venue gets phish for 4 nights in a row besides RR and MSG for NYs (and did so after a 10 year ban)? and msg isnt about the venue, lets face it.

i apologize to those who love the gorge, and i acknowledge that it may be a pilgrimage type venue, but it is not in the same league as red rocks. of course this is my own opinion, but RR has huge advantages in sound quality and intimacy. The gorge is large. and the sound suffers slightly BECAUSE of the view. the actual view at both places is a wash, maybe slightly favoring gorge. so is the effort to get to the venue.

but red rocks IS red rocks and maintains its aura because it delivers as a venue. the sound is REALLY cool and while not audible on tapes, is something that must be heard to be comprehended. and you will also likely get rained on at rr. this is fun too... gorge would suck if that hill turned to mud

i predict a lot of rambling by me in this thread.

was there a poll at some point? i seem to have missed it if so...
Mulch

Postby henrietta » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:50 pm

Meh...I'll take a indoor show anyday over a outdoor show. Phish at the Beacon was top notch. Does the Wetlands count too? MSG is a given and Portsmouth is my new fav. venue to see them (although it is outdoors).
henrietta

Postby nugfin » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:53 pm

Bethel needs strong consideration under the outdoor category
I'm not good with numbers I just count on knowing when I'm high enough
nugfin

Postby willbreathes » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:45 am

Yes, Bethel rules. Not a bad sounding seat in the place I think.
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby ErrandWolfe » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:59 am

^Bethel is unprecedented, easily one of the best in the country, hopefully 2013 will see a triumphant return there!
My new fav after the last 2 years...
Here's a place of elegance...
ErrandWolfe

Postby Harpua » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:15 pm

I have been wanting to post about this for about a year now, but I figured I should have a cool down period before posting something as controversial, and potentially volatile, as this, but...

OKP, we need to talk about Deer Creek.

The first thing I would like to address are the comparisons to Alpine. I just don't think it is a good comparison. I would understand comparing Alpine and Blossom (and Blossom would win that in a landslide), I would understand comparing Deer Creek to Tinley Park (and Deer Creek would win that in a landslide), but Alpine and DC are almost nothing alike aside from the fact that they are both amphitheaters in the Midwest.

The AV/ DC comparison was not what I really wanted to discuss.

Is Deer Creek still a premiere venue for Phish? I posit that it is not, and is skating by based on its history and lot scene. Phish has played some truly awesome show there, but these days, the shows haven't been of higher quality than the other outdoor venues in the Midwest. In their heyday, they would play 2 or 3 night stands there, but they haven't played a multi-night stand there since 2012. In fact they have only played one show there since 2012.

Beyond the numbers, from everything I have read, one of the reasons people loved DC was the fact that it was a major venue in the middle of nowhere surrounded by fields. This is definitely no longer the case. The venue has been swallowed up by suburbia, really giving it a similar feel to Tinley Park (which is the worst venue I have ever been to).

There are venues every Phish fan must check out at least once: MSG, Dicks, The Gorge, and Red Rocks (if they every play there again). Then there is the B-list of great outdoor venues that aren't necessarily destination venues: The Mann, MPP, Great Woods, SPAC, Pine Knob, Blossom, etc. (Alpine would make this list, but it is too damn big for Phish now.)

I am sure Deer Creek was an A+ venue back in 1.0 & 2.0, but now it certainly is not. Being completely honest, there is nothing at all special about Deer Creek - it is a downright average venue.
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby SirChompsAlot » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:49 am

I think I've seen Phish at only 5 venues:
Alpine Valley
Assembly Hall in Champaign, IL
Northerly Island
Verizon Theater at Grand Prairie, TX
wrigley field

I'd definitely put Alpine at the top of my list, but that show in Champaign in 97 had arguably my favorite moment at a Phish show, when they played 2001 as the lights got brighter and brighter on the audience. I'm assuming a lot of the Alpine love for me is mostly nostalgia (I've been there 7 times with ghost), but I think it's really cool to see the tree covered ski hill in the background when you sit in the lawn.

I'll agree with Harpua that Deer Creek felt almost exactly like that dump in Tinley Park, but I think the only show I've seen there was Ben Harper and Jack Johnson back in like 2002ish, so maybe the suburban sprawl had already started by then.

Also, I've never seen Phish at Red Rocks, but I've been there twice. Saw Amos Lee with the CO symphony in 2014, and The Head and the Heart earlier this month. I remember making a comment to my girlfriend about how good the sound was when we were at that Head&Heart show. It is just an awesome venue, and I hope to someday get a chance to see Phish there. I'm also hoping that the rumors about Phish @ The Gorge next year are true, I've wanted to see a show there for a while.
SirChompsAlot

Postby Harpua » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:22 pm

After remaining closed for the entire 2017 concert season, Alpine Valley will be open in 2018. No word on who will play Alpine in 2018. Allegedly the venue has been "spruced up." I don't know what that means. More random trees in the lawn?
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby Phinst » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:47 pm

^ Leveling the lawn ;)

Maybe to accommodate Camping?? Which does nothing for me, pretty much over that part of my life. But I know that would be a big perk for a lot of people, considering hotels are far and few between.

I don't know.. It's wayyy Cheaper and the Pav is one of the best, lots of nostalgia for me, but I think I would rather have Northerly.

Why not Milwaukee. Marcus Amp. It holds 25 which is smaller than Alpine which they haven't been able to fill for years.

But if Alpine still won't allow camping, only holds weekend shows, I don't see how it will stay a float.
...Dip a ladle for a taste of her creation...& she knew that what she made...
would be the Finest in the Nation....

2017: Chicago x2: Dayton>Pittsburgh
Phinst

Previous

Return to Live Phish