What show are you listening to right now?

Live Phish discussion.

Re: What show are you listening to right now?

Postby kindmeow » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:15 pm

SCI 05-25-97
kindmeow

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Highway_Bill » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:01 am

Monday, 07/20/1998
Ventura County Fairgrounds, Ventura, CA
Soundcheck: Jam

Set 1: Bathtub Gin, Dirt > Poor Heart[1], Lawn Boy, My Sweet One, Birds of a Feather, Theme From the Bottom, Water in the Sky, The Moma Dance, Split Open and Melt

Set 2: Drowned -> Makisupa Policeman[2] > Maze, Sea and Sand, Prince Caspian > Harry Hood
Encore: Sexual Healing[3] > Hold Your Head Up, Halley's Comet

1] Several false endings, including a Free Bird-style ending.
[2] Long, atypical jam.
[3] Phish debut.

Notes: Poor Heart featured several false endings, including a Free Bird-style ending. Makisupa included a long, atypical jam. Sea and Sand (first since NYE 1995, or 166 shows) was an appropriate choice, given the venue’s location near the beach. Sexual Healing made its Phish debut at this show with Fishman reading the lyrics off the back of a show poster. As delay loops built to end Halley’s Comet, the band left the stage one by one. The soundcheck's jam contained Venus (Shocking Blue) quotes. This show was released as part of the Ventura box set.

Holy mother of Gin!!!!!!!!!!
WAZUP MA SHNIGGYS!
Highway_Bill
Good

Postby Highway_Bill » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:18 am

Goin for some LONG jamzzz tonight with:

Wednesday, 06/14/1995
Mud Island Amphitheater, Memphis, TN

Set 1: Don't You Want To Go?, Gumbo > NICU, Mound, Cavern > Possum, All Things Reconsidered, Amazing Grace[1], The Horse > Silent in the Morning, Spock's Brain > Split Open and Melt

Set 2: Also Sprach Zarathustra > Poor Heart > Tweezer[2], Acoustic Army, While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Encore: Simple[3], Rocky Top > Tweezer Reprise

[1] Without microphones.
[2] 50+ minutes; Gypsy Queen jam, 2001 tease, Slave-like jam, and Digital Delay Loop Jam with whistling.
[3] Jump Monk tease from Trey, a cappella ending.
Notes: Don’t You Wanna Go was preceded by a Stairway to Heaven tease. This 50+ minute Tweezer included a brief Gypsy Queen Jam, a 2001 tease, a Slave-like jam, and a Digital Delay Loop Jam with whistling. Simple contained a Jump Monk tease from Trey and was performed with an a cappella ending instead of a jam, akin to the ALO version from December 8, 1994. Amazing Grace was performed without microphones.

and :

Saturday, 11/29/1997
Worcester Centrum Centre, Worcester, MA

Set 1: The Wedge, Foam, Simple -> The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday > Avenu Malkenu > The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday, The Sloth, Ginseng Sullivan, Saw It Again, Horn, Water in the Sky, David Bowie

Set 2: Runaway Jim[1] > Strange Design > Harry Hood > Prince Caspian, Suzy Greenberg

Encore: Buffalo Bill, Moby Dick[2] > Fire

[1] Almost an hour long. Harry Hood teases and a strong Weekapaug jam where the entire melody of Weekapaug was played.
[2] Trey imitated Robert Plant's intro to Moby Dick from the album The Song Remains the Same.
Notes: This Runaway Jim is one of the longest versions of any song ever played by Phish. It ran slightly under an hour and included Harry Hood teases and a strong Weekapaug jam where the entire melody of Weekapaug was played. Buffalo Bill was announced as Fishman’s favorite song. Moby Dick was performed for the first time since February 19, 1993 (435 shows) and featured Trey imitating Robert Plant’s intro to Moby Dick from the album The Song Remains the Same.

Gonna be fun on a

WAZUP MA SHNIGGYS!
Highway_Bill
Good

Postby willbreathes » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:43 pm

If I could I would but I won't.
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby Highway_Bill » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:23 pm

Thursday, 11/30/1995
Ervin J. Nutter Center, Wright State University, Dayton, OH

Set 1: Sample in a Jar > The Curtain > Ha Ha Ha > Julius, NICU -> Bathtub Gin, Rift > Fast Enough for You, The Lizards, Fire

Set 2: Cars Trucks Buses > Tweezer -> Makisupa Policeman -> Run Like an Antelope > Scent of a Mule, Free, Strange Design, Amazing Grace

Encore: Harry Hood
WAZUP MA SHNIGGYS!
Highway_Bill
Good

Postby hosemasterflex » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:42 am

Saturday, 07/24/1993
Great Woods Center for the Performing Arts, Mansfield, MA

Set 1: Llama, Horn, Nellie Kane > Divided Sky, Guelah Papyrus, Rift, Stash, The Mango Song > Bouncing Around the Room, The Squirming Coil

Set 2: Also Sprach Zarathustra > Split Open and Melt, Fluffhead > Maze[1], Glide > Sparkle > Mike's Song > Yerushalayim Shel Zahav > Weekapaug Groove, Purple Rain > Hold Your Head Up, Daniel Saw the Stone > Good Times Bad Times

Encore: Golgi Apparatus, Free Bird

[1] Also Sprach Zarathustra teases from Trey.

Notes: This show saw the first Mango Song since May 17, 1992 (150 shows). Maze contained Also Sprach Zarathustra teases from Trey.

Brought a few n00bs to this show. 20 freakin' years ago. Fun show, and I remain psyched about how I got a better copy of it a few years back!

Happy anniversary 7/24/93 - it felt like Phish had finally hit it big that night.

... You wanna hear an amazing show though, I'm listening to this in the car:

Sunday, 02/07/1988
Nectar's, Burlington, VT

Set 1: Fire, McGrupp and the Watchful Hosemasters, Shaggy Dog, Golgi Apparatus > Alumni Blues > Letter to Jimmy Page > Alumni Blues, Peaches en Regalia, Phase Dance[1], Dear Mrs. Reagan, I Didn't Know[2], David Bowie

Set 2: Happy Birthday to You, AC/DC Bag > Timber (Jerry), Flat Fee, Fee, Possum, The Lizards, Fly Famous Mockingbird[3], Whipping Post

Set 3: Suzy Greenberg[4] > The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday > Avenu Malkenu > The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday, Clod > Bundle of Joy, The Curtain With, The Ballad of Curtis Loew, Good Times Bad Times

[1] First known performance.
[2] Fishman on trombone.
[3] Debut.
[4] Stopped in the intro as Trey jokingly said "Good night" to the crowd and restarted.

Notes: After Dear Mrs. Reagan, Trey introduced "Alex," a new waitress at Nectar's. I Didn't know featured Fishman on trombone. Happy Birthday was dedicated to Trey's sister Kristy, who was running lights for the show, "Roz," and "Meg." He brought Kristy, "Roz," and Del Martin (because "Meg" was not there) on stage. This show featured the first known Phish performance of Phase Dance. Mockingbird also made its debut at this show and was played without Forbin’s. Before Whipping Post, Trey introduced Lizards as "Where Have All the Lizards Gone?" Suzy was stopped in its intro with Trey jokingly saying "good night" before restarting the song.

My copy is incomplete, but I find that if you crank up the bass, then this is just a great listen. Not sure why I like it so much exactly. Maybe cuz the songlist is unusual by most eras' standards. Playing - I mean you just can't go wrong with most early 1.0 ... you know, unless you want 30 minute loop jams.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby willbreathes » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:12 pm

11/25/1994
UIC Pavilion, University of Illinois, Chicago, IL

Soundcheck: Jam -> Dog Log

Set 1: Llama, Guelah Papyrus, Reba, Bouncing Around the Room, Split Open and Melt, Esther > Julius, Golgi Apparatus

Set 2: Also Sprach Zarathustra > Mike's Song -> Simple > Harpua[1] > Weekapaug Groove -> The Mango Song > Purple Rain > Hold Your Head Up, Run Like an Antelope

Encore: Good Times Bad Times

[1] Narration concerned happy green love beams and angry red hate beams.

Notes: This Thanksgiving Harpua included the first-ever Glowstick War, as Trey narrated a story involving happy green love beams and angry red hate beams. The soundcheck's jam contained Golgi quotes. This show was released as part of the Chicago '94 box set.
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby hosemasterflex » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:54 pm

^that show looks great on paper. It's probably just as good on plastic. I'm listenin to:

Saturday, 10/23/2010
Mullins Center, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA

Set 1: Meatstick[1], Party Time, Golgi Apparatus, Kill Devil Falls > Tweezer, Lawn Boy, Sparkle > Big Black Furry Creature from Mars, Hold Your Head Up > Love You > Hold Your Head Up, Possum > Tweezer Reprise[2]

Set 2: Down with Disease[3] > My Friend, My Friend[4] -> Prince Caspian[5] -> Halfway to the Moon -> Boogie On Reggae Woman > Maze, Wading in the Velvet Sea > Piper[6] > Harry Hood > You Enjoy Myself[7]

Encore: Shine a Light

[1] Japanese lyrics.
[2] Meatstick lyrics instead of Tweezer Reprise lyrics.
[3] Curtain tease from Mike at end; unfinished.
[4] Did not contain the "Myfe" ending.
[5] Unfinished.
[6] Maze tease.
[7] Wilson teases.

Notes: Meatstick included Japanese lyrics. During Party Time, Trey wished "Kevin" a happy birthday (Kevin is the owner of Higher Ground in Burlington). Tweezer Reprise featured band members singing the refrain to Meatstick in place of the Tweezer Reprise lyrics. Prior to Down With Disease, Mike teased the Leave It To Beaver theme. The end of Disease contained a Curtain tease from Mike. Disease and Caspian were unfinished and My Friend did not contain the "Myfe" ending. Piper contained a Maze tease and YEM included Wilson teases.

~~

This was the second of four consecutive shows I attended. I hardly ever do that. Good times though, Fall 2010 was pretty good stuff. This is a show I go back to a lot.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby Highway_Bill » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:51 am

That Halfway->Boogie is hot stuff!
WAZUP MA SHNIGGYS!
Highway_Bill
Good

Postby hosemasterflex » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:02 pm

Link Saturday, 11/05/1988
Hamilton College, Clinton, NY

Set 1: Slave to the Traffic Light, Time Loves a Hero, Fire, You Enjoy Myself > Possum, Take the 'A' Train, Golgi Apparatus, Walk Away, Fluffhead[1] > Alumni Blues > Letter to Jimmy Page > Alumni Blues, David Bowie

Set 2: Wilson > Peaches en Regalia, Bold As Love, The Lizards, AC/DC Bag -> Fee, Mike's Song > I Am Hydrogen > Weekapaug Groove, I Didn't Know[2], Good Times Bad Times

Set 3: Icculus, Suzy Greenberg[1], Sparks > Divided Sky

[1] Popeye theme tease from Trey.
[2] Fishman on trombone.

So, the Wilson at this show, right? Instead of the 'blap boom' thing Trey normally does, he instead sings the opening drum fill to "Peaches" and that's the segue. Awesome.

Fun show to listen to. Really digging 1988. Things really started picking up that year. Lots of Junta and Gamehenge, and lots of jazz too.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby PardonMe Doug » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:04 pm

hosemasterflex wrote:So, the Wilson at this show, right? Instead of the 'blap boom' thing Trey normally does, he instead sings the opening drum fill to "Peaches" and that's the segue. Awesome.

Yeah he does this at a show a few months prior (9/24/88 The Zoo in Amherst), which was the first Phish show I ever had. I didn't know who Zappa was nor how Wilson was "supposed" to go so I thought that was just part of the song 8-)
PardonMe Doug

Postby willbreathes » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:42 pm

Hosemaster... start posting in Ind. Show Discussion and I will start listening along with you. So much cooler than this thread. :thumbup: :wave: :shifty:
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby hosemasterflex » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:14 pm

Fair enough ... I forget about that whole area, honestly. :arrow: 5-10-92
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby willbreathes » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:08 pm

Friday, 07/12/2013
Nikon at Jones Beach Theater, Wantagh, NY

Soundcheck: Jam, Nellie Kane

Set 1: Chalk Dust Torture, Cars Trucks Buses, Ocelot, My Sweet One, A Song I Heard the Ocean Sing, Water in the Sky, The Sloth, Beauty of a Broken Heart, Sugar Shack, 46 Days, Backwards Down the Number Line > Reba, David Bowie

Set 2: Rock and Roll > Also Sprach Zarathustra > Tweezer -> Cities -> The Wedge, Wading in the Velvet Sea, Character Zero

Encore: Sleeping Monkey[1] > Tweezer Reprise

[1] Dedicated by Page to people affected by Hurricane Sandy. Alternate lyric by Fish: "my sleeping monkey is redeemed."

Teases:
· The Wedge tease in Cities
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby Harpua » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:44 am

I haven't heard that show yet. Is that second set as killer as it looks?
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby willbreathes » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:18 pm

I haven't heard it either. And I came to the realization I skipped over Holmdel, d'oh!
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby ghost_2000 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:07 pm

Harpua wrote:I haven't heard that show yet. Is that second set as killer as it looks?

Cities -> The Wedge is good!
My room is round when I lay down, when I wake up it's square.
ghost_2000
The Apparition

Postby Highway_Bill » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:38 pm

Rock and Roll is nasty!
WAZUP MA SHNIGGYS!
Highway_Bill
Good

Postby twist2piper » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:39 am

Awesome show that gets overlooked due to what transpired the following night! Considered by many to be the greatest show in their catalog. But this one is a heater as well!!
twist2piper

Postby ghost_2000 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:04 pm

Many consider 12/30/97 to be the greatest show in the Phish catalog? I do like that ACDC Bag, that's for sure.
ghost_2000
The Apparition

Postby willbreathes » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:34 pm

I prefer the 29th over the 30th.
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby ghost_2000 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:32 pm

You would!
ghost_2000
The Apparition

Postby Joffrey » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:40 pm

Joffrey
White Mountain Scallop

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Highway_Bill » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:43 pm

Watching this in HD:

Sunday, 07/14/2013
Merriweather Post Pavillion, Columbia, MD

Set 1: First Tube > The Moma Dance > NICU, Roses Are Free > Chalk Dust Torture, Stash, Scent of a Mule[1], It's Ice > Tube > Run Like an Antelope

Set 2: Golden Age > Twist > Backwards Down the Number Line > Light -> Boogie On Reggae Woman > Julius, You Enjoy Myself

Encore: Loving Cup

[1] Fishman on Marimba Lumina.

Teases:
· Third Stone From the Sun tease in Golden Age
· It's Ice tease in Tube
· Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun quote in You Enjoy Myself

Notes: Mule featured Fishman on Marimba Lumina for the first time. Tube featured an It's Ice tease from Trey. Golden Age contained Third Stone from the Sun teases. The YEM vocal jam included Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun quotes from Mike.
WAZUP MA SHNIGGYS!
Highway_Bill
Good

Postby twist2piper » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:51 pm

ghost_2000 wrote:Many consider 12/30/97 to be the greatest show in the Phish catalog? I do like that ACDC Bag, that's for sure.

I do believe if you look at any top 10 list out of The Almanac, Phish OD, or any of the polls taken in recent years on .net you will find it on nearly every one.

It is actually the top rated show from over 10,000 voters on the Phish OD app... pretty interesting.

It really is an amazing show if you go back and listen from start to finish. However, 12.29 has some spectacular moments as well!

I love looking at the old polls from The Pharmers Almanac. So cool to see how all of the old school fans would vote in the best jams and shows.
twist2piper

PreviousNext

Return to Live Phish