What show are you listening to right now?

Live Phish discussion.

Re: What show are you listening to right now?

Postby Phinst » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:58 am

Been wayyyy to long since I've listened to this show. Ghost, one of the top jams by any band evar??? 8-) :clap:

11/17/1997
McNichols Arena, Denver, CO

Set 1: Tweezer, Reba[1], Train Song, Ghost > Fire
Set 2: Down with Disease[2] -> Olivia's Pool > Johnny B. Goode -> Jesus Just Left Chicago, When the Circus Comes, You Enjoy Myself
Encore: Character Zero
[1] No whistling.
[2] Unfinished.
Teases:
· Super Bad tease in Ghost
· Dave's Energy Guide tease in Johnny B. Goode
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First show I indulged in the Fungi :crazy:

08/13/1996
Deer Creek Music Center, Noblesville, IN

Set 1: Divided Sky, Tube, Tela > Maze, Fast Enough for You > The Old Home Place, Punch You In the Eye, Llama, Glide, Slave to the Traffic Light
Set 2: AC/DC Bag > The Lizards, Mike's Song > Lifeboy > Weekapaug Groove -> Somewhere Over the Rainbow[1], Waste[2], Train Song[2], Strange Design[2], Sweet Adeline, David Bowie
Encore: Sleeping Monkey > Rocky Top
[1] Performed solo by Page on theremin.
[2] Performed on acoustic mini-stage.
Notes: Page performed Somewhere Over the Rainbow solo on the theremin. Waste through Strange Design were performed on the acoustic mini-stage. Trey played the composed section to Divided Sky over the soundcheck jam. This show was officially released as Live Phish 12.
...Dip a ladle for a taste of her creation...& she knew that what she made...
would be the Finest in the Nation....

2016: Xcel Energy Ctr>Wrigley Phield(1), Deer Creek//Nashville(1)>
Alpharettax2
Phinst

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby willbreathes » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:08 pm

ATTN: ISLAND TOUR ANNIVERSARY

Thursday, 04/02/1998
Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY
Soundcheck: Funky Bitch -> Jam, Birds of a Feather
Set 1: Tube, My Mind's Got a Mind of its Own, The Sloth, NICU, Stash[1] > Horn > Waste > Chalk Dust Torture
Set 2: Punch You In the Eye > Simple > Birds of a Feather[2], Wolfman's Brother -> Sneakin' Sally Through the Alley[3] -> Frankie Says[2] > Twist > Sleeping Monkey > Rocky Top
Encore: Guyute
[1] Unfinished.
[2] Debut.
[3] No vocal jam.
Teases:
· Frankie Says quote in Stash
· Charge! tease in Chalk Dust Torture
· Theme from Star Trek tease in Twist
· Fikus tease
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby jawbone » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:10 am

Phinst wrote:Been wayyyy to long since I've listened to this show. Ghost, one of the top jams by any band evar??? 8-) :clap:

11/17/1997
McNichols Arena, Denver, CO

Set 1: Tweezer, Reba[1], Train Song, Ghost > Fire
Set 2: Down with Disease[2] -> Olivia's Pool > Johnny B. Goode -> Jesus Just Left Chicago, When the Circus Comes, You Enjoy Myself
Encore: Character Zero
[1] No whistling.
[2] Unfinished.
Teases:
· Super Bad tease in Ghost
· Dave's Energy Guide tease in Johnny B. Goode
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First show I indulged in the Fungi :crazy:

08/13/1996
Deer Creek Music Center, Noblesville, IN

Set 1: Divided Sky, Tube, Tela > Maze, Fast Enough for You > The Old Home Place, Punch You In the Eye, Llama, Glide, Slave to the Traffic Light
Set 2: AC/DC Bag > The Lizards, Mike's Song > Lifeboy > Weekapaug Groove -> Somewhere Over the Rainbow[1], Waste[2], Train Song[2], Strange Design[2], Sweet Adeline, David Bowie
Encore: Sleeping Monkey > Rocky Top
[1] Performed solo by Page on theremin.
[2] Performed on acoustic mini-stage.
Notes: Page performed Somewhere Over the Rainbow solo on the theremin. Waste through Strange Design were performed on the acoustic mini-stage. Trey played the composed section to Divided Sky over the soundcheck jam. This show was officially released as Live Phish 12.

Those are two of my favorite LP releases. Right behind Sugarbush 94.
[#42?] nothin' shakin' but the leaves on the trees
jawbone
Skunk Ape Expatriate

Postby GratefulPhish » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:30 pm

First of all, I have only been listening to Phish sporadically for quite some time now....have had a "kick" in a long time

I'm coming in hopes for a rec. from the early 90s, something I haven't heard before- so no official releases or shows that get fluffed around here regularly if you's don't mind....dig deep Pa! I need to have my mind blown again by Phish to get me in the summer tour spirit
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Postby willbreathes » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:28 pm

1992-04-24
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby GratefulPhish » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:49 pm

Looks awesome, thanks
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Postby GratefulPhish » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:22 am

That was fun, think my Phish kick is about to be full force.

They do the whole Wizard of Oz/Gamehendge thing to start the show basically, the irony is the night before they played a place called the Oz Nightclub. I'm guessing they thought of the idea there and decided to implement it in Portland. Also don't know if I knew this and forgot, or just realized, but I forgot/didn't realize how much they were repeating songs in 92.

Also skipped around on 11.14.95 after listening to the less than stellar SBD, just to get the full effect. What a doozy that one is...
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Postby Phinst » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:30 am

Givin Miami some love..

Fantastic first set.. Love the Sand-Shafty-Nicu.. And dat 2001 :clap: Mike gets deep :shock:

Tuesday, 12/30/2003
American Airlines Arena, Miami, FL

Set 1: Wilson[1] > Sand -> Shafty -> NICU, Weigh, Cities, Strange Design > Scent of a Mule, Bathtub Gin -> Also Sprach Zarathustra
--------------------------------------------------------------------
And from one of my favorite months in Phishtory

Saturday, 08/14/1993
World Music Theatre, Tinley Park, IL

Set 1: Chalk Dust Torture, Guelah Papyrus, Divided Sky, The Horse[1] > Silent in the Morning > It's Ice > Sparkle, Split Open and Melt, Esther > Poor Heart > Cavern

Set 2: Also Sprach Zarathustra > Run Like an Antelope -> Sparks -> Walk Away -> Run Like an Antelope -> Have Mercy[2] -> Run Like an Antelope, Mound, The Squirming Coil, Daniel Saw the Stone, You Enjoy Myself -> Purple Rain > Hold Your Head Up, Golgi Apparatus

Encore: La Grange

[1] Trey on acoustic guitar.
[2] "Rye, Rye Rocco" lyrics sung over Have Mercy melody before the band kicked back into the Antelope ending.

Teases:
· Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy tease in It's Ice
· Linus and Lucy and Miss You teases in Split Open and Melt
· Dixie tease in Run Like an Antelope
· Theme from Speed Racer, Smoke on the Water, Mystery Achievement, and On Broadway jams in You Enjoy Myself
· Mona Lisa tease in Also Sprach Zarathustra

Notes: The Horse featured Trey on acoustic guitar. It's Ice contained a Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy tease from Page and Melt contained Miss You and Linus and Lucy teases from Mike. 2001 included a Mona Lisa tease from Mike. Antelope included a Dixie tease; the “Rye, Rye Rocco” lyrics were sung over the Have Mercy melody before the band kicked back into the Antelope ending. During Daniel Saw the Stone, Trey updated the crowd on the score of a pre-season football game. YEM contained brief jams based on the theme from Speed Racer, Smoke on the Water, and quoting of Mystery Achievement (Pretenders). On Broadway was briefly quoted during the YEM
...Dip a ladle for a taste of her creation...& she knew that what she made...
would be the Finest in the Nation....

2016: Xcel Energy Ctr>Wrigley Phield(1), Deer Creek//Nashville(1)>
Alpharettax2
Phinst

Postby Harpua » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:50 pm

^ That show is IT for me. That is what started my obsession.
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby hosemasterflex » Thu May 28, 2015 4:34 am

7/12/14 Randall's Island NYC

Set 1: AC/DC Bag > 46 Days, Yarmouth Road, Devotion To a Dream, Free, My Sweet One > Back on the Train, Halfway to the Moon > Sparkle, A Song I Heard the Ocean Sing, The Line, Run Like an Antelope

Set 2: Punch You In the Eye > Carini > Ghost > Wingsuit > Rock and Roll > Harry Hood

Encore: Tube > Joy, First Tube

I go to this show a lot, cuz it was my last show and it was as solid as it gets as a Phish show experience for me, A+ ... not just the music, had a total blast off.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby Brother » Fri May 29, 2015 12:59 pm

^ I have a feeling you'd also be into the 10/23/2010 Amherst show too. Rock n roll!

Today I'm listening to 5/29/1994.

Set 1: Divided Sky, Guelah Papyrus[1], Halley's Comet > Down with Disease > Sparkle, Julius, I Didn't Know, David Bowie

Set 2: Nellie Kane > Split Open and Melt, Esther > Chalk Dust Torture, Horn > McGrupp and the Watchful Hosemasters > The Oh Kee Pa Ceremony > Suzy Greenberg > Run Like an Antelope, Free Bird

Encore: Wilson > Golgi Apparatus, Rocky Top

Encore 2: Jam, Harry Hood, Good Times Bad Times

[1] Simpsons signal.
Teases:
· Buried Alive tease in Julius

Some o'dat 94 fiyuh! Rumor has it the band was tripping at this show?
Brother

Postby hosemasterflex » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:30 am

Got Great Went day one, set one goin. This is the set, I think, about which Trey says "we played a bad set!" in Bittersweet Motel.

Honestly the Makisupa is nice, the Harpua (continued) is a little lackluster and botched badly, then the Chalkdust really sucked, lol. Then Trey tells the 70K crowd that, "that was kind of our soundcheck, since we didn't get a soundcheck. We hope you enjoyed it." And I guess tries to sort of start over with Theme From the Bottom. I'm ten minutes into Theme, and it's solid.

Having attended the Great Went, I do not recall this as a bad set myself. But I wonder if the Harpua > Chalkdust was what did it for Trey, to have said that. (*edit* - wicked feedback issue right before PYITE ... sounds like a frustrating set!)

~~~
Saturday, 08/16/1997
Loring Commerce Centre, Limestone, ME

Set 1: Makisupa Policeman -> Harpua[1] > Chalk Dust Torture, Theme From the Bottom > Punch You In the Eye > Ghost > Ginseng Sullivan, You Enjoy Myself > Train Song > Character Zero, The Squirming Coil

[1] Picked up where the Clifford Ball Harpua left off.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby Harpua » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:05 pm

Saturday, 11/22/1997
Hampton Coliseum, Hampton, VA

Set 1: Mike's Song -> I Am Hydrogen > Weekapaug Groove, Harry Hood > Train Song, Billy Breathes, Frankenstein > Izabella

Set 2: Halley's Comet > Tweezer > Black-Eyed Katy > Piper > Run Like an Antelope

Encore: Bouncing Around the Room > Tweezer Reprise

Notes: Mike's Song and Tweezer both contained BEK teases. "Marco Esquandolas" in Antelope was changed to "Michael Esquandolas."
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby hosemasterflex » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:23 pm

Listened to 8/17/97 last night, Great Went second show.

Kind of wild, I remembered the Went as a lot better musically ... the jams are really long and cool, the music REALLY breathes well especially second show. But the first show is pretty botchy and clumsy for 1.0 Phish.

I wonder if it'll get DVD'd. Fully expected it, until I re-listened and wondered if they don't think it's worthy.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby hosemasterflex » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:21 am

5/10/92

Wicked show.

Phish was one of I think 6 bands.

Rippopotomus
Mighty Mighty Bosstones
Firehose
Phish
Fishbone
Beastie Boys

Our crew had to leave soon after Phish set, so I didn't see the Beastie Boys ... I loved this show. Had a great time at it. Brought some n00bs. Got to talk to Mike and Page really briefly. Page was very polite. Mike was confused by how my friend and I thought we were clever and funny but weren't.

Landlady
Suzy Greenberg
Sparkle
Stash
Uncle Pen
Cavern
Reba
I Didn't Know
You Enjoy Myself
Possum
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby willbreathes » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:16 pm

Tuesday, 05/24/1988
Nectar's, Burlington, VT

Set 1: The Curtain With, Rocky Top, Funky Bitch, Alumni Blues > Letter to Jimmy Page > Alumni Blues, Peaches en Regalia, Golgi Apparatus, Sneakin' Sally Through the Alley, Suzy Greenberg, Fire

Set 2: Jesus Just Left Chicago, Fluffhead > Whipping Post

Set 3: Ya Mar[1] -> Jam[1] > Halley's Comet[2] > The Sloth, I Didn't Know[3], La Grange, Fee, I Know a Little, Big Black Furry Creature from Mars, Corinna, Harpua, Run Like an Antelope

[1] Jah Roy on vocals.
[2] Richard Wright on vocals.
[3] Richard Wright on drums, Fish on trombone.

Teases:
· Theme from The Flintstones tease in Big Black Furry Creature from Mars
· One Love quote in Jam
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby willbreathes » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:54 pm

Friday, 08/07/2015
Blossom Music Center, Cuyahoga Falls, OH

Soundcheck: It's Ice, Mound, The Lizards, Jam

Set 1: A Song I Heard the Ocean Sing, My Sweet One > Wilson > Timber (Jerry), Roses Are Free, Rift, The Moma Dance, Ginseng Sullivan, Wingsuit, It's Ice > Bathtub Gin

Set 2: Chalk Dust Torture[1] -> Tweezer > The Lizards, Makisupa Policeman > Ghost > Harry Hood > Tweezer Reprise

Encore: Good Times Bad Times

[1] Unfinished.

Teases:
· Call to the Post tease in Bathtub Gin
· Dave's Energy Guide tease in Harry Hood
· For the Love of Money tease in It's Ice

Notes: This show was webcast via LivePhish. After Roses Are Free, Trey gave a call-out to Aaron Freeman and Mickey Melchiondo (aka Gene and Dean Ween), encouraging them to get Ween back together. Trey teased For the Love of Money in It's Ice, Call to the Post at the end of Bathtub Gin, and DEG in Hood. Chalk Dust was unfinished.
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby willbreathes » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:46 pm

Friday, 02/28/2003
Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY

Soundcheck: Poor Heart

Set 1: Birds of a Feather, Destiny Unbound, Horn > Bathtub Gin, Sleep, Back on the Train, Bouncing Around the Room, Walls of the Cave

Set 2: Tweezer > Soul Shakedown Party -> David Bowie, Round Room > Harry Hood

Encore: Contact, Mexican Cousin > Tweezer Reprise

Teases:
· Do You Feel Like We Do and San-Ho-Zay teases in Tweezer
· The Horse tease
· San-Ho-Zay tease in Back on the Train

Notes: Phish broke out two long-shelved tunes: the first Destiny Unbound since November 15, 1991 (796 shows) and the first Soul Shakedown Party since February 20, 1997 (270 shows). Back on the Train and Tweezer contained San-Ho-Zay teases from Trey. Tweezer also included a Do You Feel Like We Do tease. Trey teased The Horse prior to Round Room. This show was officially released on CD as Live Phish 02.28.03.
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby Brother » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:34 pm

^ Revisited this the other day. Love that free flying Bowie.
Brother

Postby booztravlr » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:24 pm

Wednesday, 11/25/1998, Pepsi Arena, Albany, NY

Set 1: Punch You In the Eye > My Soul, Roggae, AC/DC Bag, Lifeboy, David Bowie, Sleep, Driver, Good Times Bad Times

Set 2: Also Sprach Zarathustra > Golgi Apparatus, Drowned -> Prince Caspian > Piper, You Enjoy Myself, Been Caught Stealing > Llama

Encore: Something > Guyute, Free Bird

My second show (first was Vernon Downs a couple months earlier). 5 of us squeezed in my friend's two door Blazer for our short trip across 90. The upper tier wasn't all that packed so we had plenty of room. Great song selection all around but whenever I look over the setlist I get a dark and lonely feeling. It isn't near the best show I've seen but we had a great time and it was enough to hold us over until the MSG shows to close out the year.
the eleven | To weird to live, to rare to die.
booztravlr
Mr Boombastic

Postby Buster » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:15 am

YUP.

---------

12/11/1997
Rochester War Memorial, Rochester, NY

Set 1: Punch You In the Eye > Down with Disease -> Maze, Dirt, Limb By Limb, Loving Cup > Rocky Top

Set 2: Drowned -> Roses Are Free[1] -> Big Black Furry Creature from Mars > Ghost -> Down with Disease -> Johnny B. Goode

Encore: Waste

[1] Phish debut.

Teases:
· Electric Funeral tease in Big Black Furry Creature from Mars

Notes: This show marked the Phish debut of Roses Are Free. BBFCFM (first since August 6, 1996, or 118 shows) featured Electric Funeral teases. Footage from this show appeared in the film Bittersweet Motel.
Buster
The NorEaster

Postby willbreathes » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:00 pm

Electric Funeral is my favorite Sabbath song.
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby hosemasterflex » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:23 pm

I'm on a Sabbath bender, and had the Paranoid CD going in the car a couple days ago.

I keep putting in Phish shows from this past July, but I feel like I haven't listened that closely. I just started up 7/25/15.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby booztravlr » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:30 pm

1998-12-28. My first trip to MSG. Was only able to attend the first two nights but they will forever be etched in my memory. While the 29th is easily one of the best shows I've seen the Stash from the opening night absolutely smokes! The roar from the crowd at the end still sends shivers up my spine. The rest of the first set was greatin attendance but nothing really sticks out on the tapes. The second set is a different story though and is well worth listening to.
the eleven | To weird to live, to rare to die.
booztravlr
Mr Boombastic

Postby hosemasterflex » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:46 pm

I just threw in the first Bend, OR show from 7/21/15. Something's really drawing me to listen to the 2015 shows, and 2016 so far too.

Could be that I've taken a good break from Phish and I'm re-energized to listen to them again. Or it could be that it's an exciting time ... most likely it's the idea that they're gonna record, that usually gets me pumped. I like the new songs for the most part too.

Anyway my current agenda includes listening to lots of recent shows, we'll see how long it lasts. No Man's Land debut's on.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

PreviousNext

Return to Live Phish