SHOWS YOU CAN'T REMEMBER

Live Phish discussion.

SHOWS YOU CAN'T REMEMBER

Postby vernixx » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:14 pm

This is weird. I saw my fair share of shows from 1993-1999 and remember most of them very very well. Moments in the songs, people I was around, things Trey said, jams, etc...
Right now, I'm listening to the Dallas 1998 show (7-26)...I was THERE but I don't really REMEMBER THE SHOW AT ALL! I remember the lot scene, the many many joints we smoked, watching the Dallas goons bust people selling beer, drinking lots of Amstel light, the heat of the lot, eating hash brownies......and then going home.

I called my Wife, as this was her first show, and she barely remembers it either. Like it didn't happen. We were fucked up a BIT, but not that badly. She remembers we were right in front of the FOB tapers which brought back a SLIGHT memory of the show. I do not remember the show, the music, etc...

But, now listening to the show in it's entirety, it sounds foreign. Very strange indeeed.

This happen to anyone else????????????? :-/
vernixx

SHOWS YOU CAN'T REMEMBER

Postby charlieJack » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:30 pm

well, this is quite sad, but i have the same problem. i've been to, oh, 20-25 shows from my first in November of '96 thru Coventry. I only clearly remember a handful of them, mostly the ones from my hometown. I went to Lemonwheel. I remember it in a big, vague way, but specific details are quite fuzzy. I went to Cypress...same. I do remember Coventry quite vividly, and who knows why. i don't tend to get WRECKED at shows, but i was pretty polluted there...moreso than at the others. when i think of these shows and festivals, i get more of a "feeling-memory" than an intellectual one. i remember vibes, but not details. weird, man, weird. i'm probably gonna have a pretty good case of Alzheimer's when i get older.
the floor will have its way it seems
it fights me like a trampoline
it won't let me to the ground
so this time i'm not coming down
charlieJack

Blog: View Blog (0)

SHOWS YOU CAN'T REMEMBER

Postby bigB » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:44 pm

The second night of Cinci in 99 is non-existant in my memory banks although i was very there i think?
As he saw his life run away from him 1000's ran along chanting words from a psalm.
bigB
Wookie-Tamer

Blog: View Blog (1)

SHOWS YOU CAN'T REMEMBER

Postby neck » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:59 pm

have the same problem with cypress...

i remember being really sick and i could point out on the little map thingy where we camped...

but listening to the discs is very odd...only mini-snippets of it can i actually recall...
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neck
Third Eye Warrior

SHOWS YOU CAN'T REMEMBER

Postby vernixx » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:32 pm

I remember Cypress vividly for some reason. Probably because of the Y2K thang...my handheld GPS (great for those festival shows in the middle of nowhere as well as for locating your camping area while baked!) went off line around midnight, too. Fucking eeeeeerie. But it came back on. I also remember feeling like I'd been in a washing machine spin cycle for 7 hours after the sunrise as the set ended...

It was TRUELY the END of the era!
vernixx

SHOWS YOU CAN'T REMEMBER

Postby jamphandan » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:05 am

Mansfield 8/10/04

First of all, I was lucky enough to get to every show of their last summer tour (including Broadway and Hampton ;)), and like many a touring phish head, I kept a little notebook with all the setlists and wrote down every song of every show for the whole tour...until Mansfield...just so happens my buddy who gave me a ride (first to Hampton, then) to Mansfield scored his tix off ebay or something as part of a 'package' that included a limo ride for him and his buddies from his hotel to the show and back afterwards...so we all took this as the go-ahead to get way-blottoed, ya know, no one has to drive, so we all drink twice as much, and over-indulge in whatever else we had :P to celebrate that fact...I remember it was pretty fun, but the only pictures I have of that night are blurry neon streak from inside the limo...and my 'set-book' has increasingly illegible names of songs from that evening...I think I still managed to write them all down...kinda...pretty sure I puked into a beer cup during Friday and came back around during Hood, managing to find the limo ride back to the hotel and everyone was in a similar state...good times
jamphandan
Trans-Atlantic Wook

SHOWS YOU CAN'T REMEMBER

Postby booztravlr » Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:32 pm

i agree with the second night cinci 99 show. all i remember is a spectacular split then some guy goes on stage and that ruins the flow of the show. that weekend was the first time i took fungi (made a nice grilled cheese filled with them) so that could explain some of the lack of memory.
the eleven | To weird to live, to rare to die.
booztravlr
Mr Boombastic

SHOWS YOU CAN'T REMEMBER

Postby gone2gamehenge » Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:12 pm

I have no memory of the 12/29/03 show in Miami. I ate some really good acid before the show, and thought it would be a good idea to eat more as it started cause I thought I could "handle it", well the trip more handled me. I remember the lights swirling and people swirling, and then going into some sort of psychedelic trance, and then emerging from the show. i remember there being music, but nothing I could put into a song. No setbreak, no nothing. I went home thinking "Did I just go to a Phish show? Cause I feel more like I in a dream". I caught the 12/30 show as well and loved every minute of it, and stayed mostly to bud and hash. i thought I was alone with not remembering a show, thank god.
The Trick Was To Surrender To The Phlow!
gone2gamehenge

SHOWS YOU CAN'T REMEMBER

Postby UB-40 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:06 pm

The first night of Coventry is a big blur to me, I was completely exausted from the walk. I didn't even make it to shakedown before the show, so this was by no means a party blur. I think i fell asleep on the ground next to some trash cans in the middle of the crowd, then I decided to stumble back to my tent, I could barely see during all of it, and have no idea how I made it back, especially without slipping in mud.

-Daniel
#∞
You are a person who is high class. You are a person not in my class.
UB-40

SHOWS YOU CAN'T REMEMBER

Postby relaxation3 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:21 pm

I wish I could have made it to more but lucky enough I remember every one.
relaxation3
The Eggman

SHOWS YOU CAN'T REMEMBER

Postby smellmymeulners » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:13 pm

I saw them for the first time in minneapolis on 9-24-00... It was a fucking awesome show, opening with a mellow mood, then a sloth and first tube in the first set... then a long cities into free then a ya mar to open the second.... When I listen to it there is some feelings of familiarity, but the only thing that I can really recall was Kuroda's light show... I wonder why that is.....
smellmymeulners

SHOWS YOU CAN'T REMEMBER

Postby undividedfan » Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:54 pm

At the first day of Deer Creek two summers ago in 04 I have a blank in my memory. I remember everything up Halley's>Cross-eyed then I also went into some sort of psychedelic trance and have no recollection of music that I can recognize, I just remember sitting in the lawn. I somehow snapped out of it for Slave and jumped up and sang the chorus, then went back into space. Somehow it all ended when the show ended and I can remember the lights being on and everyone walking out and I was perfectly sober again. Ive always wonder what the hell happened.
undividedfan

SHOWS YOU CAN'T REMEMBER

Postby Joffrey » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:39 pm

^Hahaha... I can relate

I was at the Went but remember like two songs... and there were two Mansfield shows in the summer of 95 that are a complete blur. Basically I can't remember half my shows... however some were forgetable. One of these days I'd love to get all the shows I went to on CD and see if it brings back any memories!
Joffrey
White Mountain Scallop

Blog: View Blog (2)

SHOWS YOU CAN'T REMEMBER

Postby KDF4LYPHE » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:03 pm

There are parts of shows I can't remember. But I can take a mental image and/or musical image from each show I saw.
Most of the blurry moments are later on in shows for some reason...
I LOOK TO THE STARS AND THE ANSWER IS CLEAR
I LOOK IN THE MIRROR AND SEE WHAT I FEAR
KDF4LYPHE
_________

Blog: View Blog (1)

SHOWS YOU CAN'T REMEMBER

Postby vernixx » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:45 am

Now that this thread has been resurrected, there are parts of the Summer 1995 tour that are kinda fuzzy.........

but that's probably due to my lifestyle at the time! ;D
vernixx

SHOWS YOU CAN'T REMEMBER

Postby phishreference » Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:17 am

I don't remember very much of the second set of the first night of Albany 2000. I was wandering around the Pepsi Arena looking for aspirin because I had a massive headache.
phishreference

SHOWS YOU CAN'T REMEMBER

Postby gonnapickone » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:14 am

I have trouble with the second night of alpine 03 because of too much beer and heady nugs.
gonnapickone

SHOWS YOU CAN'T REMEMBER

Postby graphictranslation » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:45 am

This thread is almost outta here and while the experience I am about to relate is not one I can't remember it is one I'd rather not.
I was at the Camden Waterfront, NJ to see Oysterhead in the fall after the album came out (November 2001? 2002? I guess that's one memory gone). It was the second and last time I took X. The first was molly and fluff on NYE '98 standing 1st row behind the stage center.
This time was two pressies of Playstation (sidebar: DO NOT doubt my knowledge of chemicals, these were the best pressies anyone ever made) I picked 'em up on impulse on my way to my fifth row, center seat; waiting in line at ticketbastard pays sometimes. Half way through the show some dude more messed up than me falls into the seat next to me from the sixth row and begins spouting nonsense, utterly indeciferable. I ask him more than once to hold all comments until after the show, "Talk to me later dude, I can't understand a word!" was what I really shouted at him. He seems to understand but then, outta nowhere he grabs my ass! I bat his arm away and say," I don't know what you thought I said , but that wasn't it. Is there a problem?" The nonsense begins again and he wanders into the lightshow and I never see him again. After the show I ask the people behind me what was up with their friend. One of the people behind me said, "He fell into our row from behind us telling me had to get to that seat." He pointed to the seat next to me.
Now when some dude falls over a seat next to me I leave him there. lol
graphictranslation

SHOWS YOU CAN'T REMEMBER

Postby captainfantasy » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:36 am

i wish i couldn't remember the cher show i saw. i saw barenaked ladies in 98 with my wife. she was pregnant with our first child and and i was real drunk. we had shitty seats up in no man's land. that's about it for the show. they did cover a puff daddy tune. but on the way home my drunkenness got the best of us. we took the rapid transit (an above ground subway if you will) and instead of going back west to go home, i got us in the eastbound train and it took us about 30 min east of where we needed to be. then we had to go 45 min back home. boy was i in trouble.
captainfantasy
Scumdog

SHOWS YOU CAN'T REMEMBER

Postby ghost_2000 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:49 pm

^
LOL that's funny. there's nothing like pissing off your significant other!
My room is round when I lay down, when I wake up it's square.
ghost_2000
The Apparition

SHOWS YOU CAN'T REMEMBER

Postby roofnapkin » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:44 am

2nd night, vegas '04...my buddy decided not to eat his chocolates, so on top of the mix i had, he shoves another in my mouth (not that he had to twist my arm or anything) 2nd set is a complete blur, the only thing i remember is throwing my shirt and twins hat into the crowd, amongst everything else on me except wallet and phone. so if you remember a guy begging for a shirt to wear after the show, that was me....anyone get my hat? encore hood saved me that night...

1st night coventry - 2nd and 3rd sets are non-existent in my memory. i was seeing demons most of that show...trying to control them. i swear i was standing on those rocks with trey and mike. sidenote: worst idea EVER trey.

p.s. i hate chocolates
So it seems... that the world keeps on turnin'
roofnapkin
Northern Jedi

SHOWS YOU CAN'T REMEMBER

Postby whyweigh228 » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:05 am

^ahahahhahahahhaha
whyweigh228

SHOWS YOU CAN'T REMEMBER

Postby roofnapkin » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:17 pm

yep, laugh it up. :-)
roofnapkin
Northern Jedi

SHOWS YOU CAN'T REMEMBER

Postby gamecat » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:57 pm

p.s. i hate chocolates

Really? I think those are the best way for fungi.

It that because of your Vegas stripping act or just a stomach thing?
gamecat
The Shepherd

SHOWS YOU CAN'T REMEMBER

Postby roofnapkin » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:44 pm

kinda both. i don't get that bad stomach-rot from them, but it's more the unpredictability of what you're getting. i've had great ones, but also some that put me into a funk for awhile. deer creek '04 i had to sit down during bathtub, the jam got to me in a major way, so i sat down, sweated through two shirts and laughed at myself (which is what i always do when most people would have a freak out, i just laugh and realize that i'll be cool in a minute) until Ya Mar snapped me out of it....smooth sailing after that...

i prefer raw fungi...just give me a bag of doritos and i'm good to go. i'll dose over mushies any day though...
roofnapkin
Northern Jedi

Next

Return to Live Phish