Most overrated Phish shows!!!

Live Phish discussion.

Re: Most overrated Phish shows!!!

Postby Atoms » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:04 am

This is just further reminder that Phish is more than a band... they are a competition too.
we are all being pursed. some have been found, some are still running. some will keep running until they get to the end of the road, straight off the proverbial cliff. you don't have to turn back, you just have to turn around.
Atoms
The Awoken

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby ghost_2000 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:00 pm

I think passionate discussions such as these - if held respectably and civilly - are good things.

(I didn't realize "civilly" was a word until now)
My room is round when I lay down, when I wake up it's square.
ghost_2000
The Apparition

Postby willbreathes » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:21 pm

If I have never heard another bad word about a certain show that I don't care for, I would consider it overrated. Especially a show that is pretty stand-out in the way the band played it.

Example, 2000-06-14. And most of the Japan 2000 tour.

So suck on that one, cry-babies.
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby SuperJay » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:34 pm

shill88 wrote:missing the point i guess :roll:

Oh sorry... were you actually making one?

:wave:
SuperJay

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby S. Hill 88 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:48 pm

SuperJay wrote:
shill88 wrote:missing the point i guess :roll:

Oh sorry... were you actually making one?

Really, Jay? :roll:

Anyways...
willbreathes wrote:If I have never heard another bad word about a certain show that I don't care for, I would consider it overrated. Especially a show that is pretty stand-out in the way the band played it.

Example, 2000-06-14. And most of the Japan 2000 tour.

So suck on that one, cry-babies.

:lol:
PHISH2010BRAH: 6/17 Hartford > 6/18 Hartford > 6/19 SPAC > 6/20 SPAC, 6/22 Great Woods

"The strength of their return, on a strictly musical level, is criminally understated."
-HoseMasterFlex
S. Hill 88

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Ship Of Fools » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:29 pm

charliedigital wrote:
shill88 wrote:why is constructive criticism frowned upon :eh:

Not to be a douche but what is constructive about arguing what shows you feel don't live up to they hype?

shill88 wrote:there was no arguing about the shows, just sharing opinions and defending shows which we liked. these threads just for whatever reason tick people off.

Sam, I'm on your side man. Just because some people don't like these threads doesn't mean other people can't participate in them. If you don't like these types of threads, why post in them?

Personally, I find Big Cypress to be the most overrated show of all time, not because it wasn't a good show, but because it is sooooo hyped, but the playing was fairly standard. That being said, I was not there, and I am quite sure that no recording could ever duplicate the overwhelming energy that was flying and swooping and whirling around that Indian Reservation that night.
His soul swooned slowly as he heard the snow falling faintly through the universe and faintly falling, like the descent of their last end, upon all the living and the dead.
- James Joyce, "The Dead"
Ship Of Fools
Raving Lunatic

Postby SuperJay » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:41 pm

shill88 wrote:Really, Jay? :roll:

Well, two can play at the douchebag game ;)

But I never said you shouldn't post these threads or that doing so is somehow "wrong." I just said it's sort of hard to even define 'overrated' since that is so subjective in the first place.

As usual, I'm on nobody's "side" here. I can be good friends with you guys and disagree with you... right? Or are we in junior high again? :|
SuperJay

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby S. Hill 88 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:04 pm

SuperJay wrote:
shill88 wrote:Really, Jay? :roll:

Well, two can play at the douchebag game ;)

But I never said you shouldn't post these threads or that doing so is somehow "wrong." I just said it's sort of hard to even define 'overrated' since that is so subjective in the first place.

As usual, I'm on nobody's "side" here. I can be good friends with you guys and disagree with you... right? Or are we in junior high again? :|

Woah, I didn't mean to ever be douchebag, I apologize if it came across that way. Let's just put it behind us, I think this was just a misunderstanding. I agree that it's hard to define overrated, I was just offering up possibilities to open up the discussion. I never meant for it to get negative, I just thought it was unfair to bash the mere existence of these threads.
PHISH2010BRAH: 6/17 Hartford > 6/18 Hartford > 6/19 SPAC > 6/20 SPAC, 6/22 Great Woods

"The strength of their return, on a strictly musical level, is criminally understated."
-HoseMasterFlex
S. Hill 88

Postby ghost_2000 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:27 pm

So, back to overrated Phish shows...

ghost_2000
The Apparition

Postby Desmond The Family Berzerker » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:17 pm

12/31/95 is a little overrated IMO. Not that it isnt a great show, but Dec. 95 might be my all time favorite Phish month. They were on fire to close out that year night in and night out and I could see myself picking 3 or 4 from that Dec. over 12/31.

But...................

Real Talk YEM wrote:
04/03/1998- the antelope is one of my least favorites ever, for the record.

08/12/2004

Are you kidding dude?!!
Summer 2010- Hartford 6/17-18, SPAC 6/19-20, Great Woods 6/21, Camden 6/24-25, Jones Beach 8/17-18
Desmond The Family Berzerker

Postby Real Talk YEM » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:15 am

^yeah dude. With all the legendary shit out of that month people (mostly blind folks like Rolling Stone) focus on NYE. But this thread brings out some interesting things. Threads on here are like Phish songs. I personally HATE sparkle. But it gets played. So i don't comment. Some people love it. I let them enjoy it. This thread... some enjoy some threads on here that others hate. But it's not anyone's job to get on and complain about it.... I mean every thread isn't going to be to everyone's liking here. There enlies the beauty of tact and choice: we can choose what to contribute to and read and what to skip over.... :thumbup:
Real Talk YEM
Former TLD

Postby dewajack » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:54 am

4-3-98 for sure! I really like the jam out of roses, and the antelope. However, as a complete show, it doesn't stand up to a myriad of others. I think the whole island tour is very overrated. There isn't a great complete show in the run. That being said, there are great moments from each show, but it lacks a complete hot show. I think the hooplah that surrounds the run vaults the opinions of the phans when it comes to this run. I think the NYE 97 run kills these four shows.
10-31-96 I love the Remain in Light set, but I feel sets 1 and 3 are a bit sloppy. The reba, DWD, and yem are lacking, but the fact you get them all in a set is a major plus. I look at these halloween shows sans the costume set as far as in comparison to other shows. When looked at as a two set show, it doesn't measure up imo to others in 96.

I enjoy both these shows, but feel they are way overhyped. I know many people who consider either of these to be their favorites. That is their opinion, but I cannot agree.
dewajack

Postby Ship Of Fools » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:26 am

dewajack wrote:4-3-98 for sure! I really like the jam out of roses, and the antelope. However, as a complete show, it doesn't stand up to a myriad of others. I think the whole island tour is very overrated. There isn't a great complete show in the run.

:shock: No way man! I totally respect your opinion and whatnot, but damn man, those are some of my favorite shows of all time. Oh well, goes to show you not everyone likes the same shit.
His soul swooned slowly as he heard the snow falling faintly through the universe and faintly falling, like the descent of their last end, upon all the living and the dead.
- James Joyce, "The Dead"
Ship Of Fools
Raving Lunatic

Postby ghost_2000 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:22 pm

I must admit, this is the first time I can ever recall someone calling any one of the IT shows overrated.

But, to each their own.
ghost_2000
The Apparition

Postby charliedigital » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:54 am

Ship Of Fools wrote:
charliedigital wrote:
shill88 wrote:why is constructive criticism frowned upon :eh:

Not to be a douche but what is constructive about arguing what shows you feel don't live up to they hype?

shill88 wrote:there was no arguing about the shows, just sharing opinions and defending shows which we liked. these threads just for whatever reason tick people off.

Sam, I'm on your side man. Just because some people don't like these threads doesn't mean other people can't participate in them. If you don't like these types of threads, why post in them?

I just asked a question. What is constructive about this thread? I didn't say that this thread shouldn't be here or anything like that. Am I not allowed to be curious?
One for sport, and one for blood.
charliedigital

Postby Real Talk YEM » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:04 pm

ghost_2000 wrote:So, back to overrated Phish shows...

Yeah. For some reason all my threads end up turning into talking about the thread itself and its merit instead of what the thread is actually about. Oh YEM no you DITinnnnT!!! type shit. But anyway I'm getting way more into mid '90s Phish as a result of the Phish biography. It doesn't groove like my favorite shit does, but I'm a guitarist and will always be a sucker for the killer guitar shredfest. Reading reviews on phish.net is unbearable!!! "I walked out of Albany '98 because some kids who were on drugs were enjoying themselves during something I refuse to acknowledge as valid, and to validate myself I am going to cut off my nose despite my face and stew in my resentment over how my favorite band, '93-'95 Phish, evolved, like true artists do, into something I enjoy less. How DARE these mongoloids enjoy themselves??? How dare Phish have their own will, which is not enmeshing with my own selfish wills and desires to control other people to suit my own needs and give me what I feel entitled to!!!!"

It sucks there are phans like that, cause that's one thing I'm really put off with about some hardcore deadheads, they start with their hating ass bullshit and somewhere lose the point: that the music is better at Phish, even if there are more custies, wooks, and things they find offensive taking place. I declare phish/deadhead snobs PWNed. get over yourselves and enjoy what you enjoy, let others enjoy what they enjoy. if you don't like it, don't go, and don't bitch cause other people are enjoying it. Say.... the same can be applied to this thread!!! If you don't like it find one of the other thousands of threads and let people like me and ghost enjoy my thread!!! bitching won't make it go away. sorry to be so harsh, but I'm fucking battle of britain style today, dropping bombs like Mikey circa Camden '99 Tweezer.
Real Talk YEM
Former TLD

Postby S. Hill 88 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:20 am

Real Talk YEM wrote:
ghost_2000 wrote:So, back to overrated Phish shows...

It sucks there are phans like that, cause that's one thing I'm really put off with about some hardcore deadheads, they start with their hating ass bullshit and somewhere lose the point: that the music is better at Phish, even if there are more custies, wooks, and things they find offensive taking place. I declare phish/deadhead snobs PWNed. get over yourselves and enjoy what you enjoy, let others enjoy what they enjoy. if you don't like it, don't go, and don't bitch cause other people are enjoying it. Say.... the same can be applied to this thread!!! If you don't like it find one of the other thousands of threads and let people like me and ghost enjoy my thread!!! bitching won't make it go away. sorry to be so harsh, but I'm fucking battle of britain style today, dropping bombs like Mikey circa Camden '99 Tweezer.

get em YEM!!!

-HoseMasterFlex
S. Hill 88

Postby ghost_2000 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:30 pm

Bump.
ghost_2000
The Apparition

Postby Highway_Bill » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:56 am

Island Tour and 12-7-97. Sorry guys but the island tour has about 5 jams that i alwaysd go back to but pretty much skip the rest. And to 12-7-97. This is just about the most standard shows played this whole tour. First set is great, but this second set is ... well... i'll leave it as lacking. Reba and guyute back to back? And dont get me wrong i love Reba but in 97 they didnt play it very well at all. And guyute.. well i just plain dont really like this song, especially in the second set. Its a good show i just dont see how it is considered one of the best shows these guys ever played. Oh and 11-21-97 is way way overrated too. this shows does hardly anything for me. That bag SUCKS... There i said it. dont mean to offend just had to get that off my chest.

EDIT: And i would agree on the Bomb Factory and 95 NYE. Good shows not GREAT. I will give NYE 95 credit for getting me into Phish, but i have listened to it in years simply because everything is so standard.
WAZUP MA SHNIGGYS!
Highway_Bill
Good

Postby ghost_2000 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:28 am

Good lord, man.
ghost_2000
The Apparition

Postby Emmet Grogan » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:46 am

Phish fans are such relentless fluffers. Every show played has to be overrated by someone.
Emmet Grogan

Postby Highway_Bill » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:15 pm

^^Good lord what? Something wrong?
WAZUP MA SHNIGGYS!
Highway_Bill
Good

Postby willbreathes » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:10 am

^ You already apologized before you made your point, so no biggie I think. :twisted:
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby Harpua » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:23 pm

Real Talk YEM wrote:11/14/1995-VERY overrated for me!!
12/14/1995
07/15/2003

11/14/1995 - I don't think this show is overrated. In fact, this is a top 50 show for me. (Just a guess, I don't have a top 50 list or anything. I don't even have a top 10 list.) A very good friend of mine has stated that he isn't a big fan of this show, and Stash is his favorite tune! Maze and this specific Stash aren't the type of jams he enjoys. I get that.

12/14/1995 - I know that there is no such thing as a perfect Phish show, but for my taste this is as close to a perfect show as there is. There was a reason they made this Live Phish Vol 1. It is everything great about Phish, and it is also very accessible for newer fans, or even society at large. If I need to listen to live Phish, and I am going to be around people who are unfamiliar with them, I play this show. (I guess it is people like me saying things like this that makes this show overrated.)

07/15/2003 - Hmm... :think: I am going to make a bold claim, so strap in. This show is absolutely great for fans who have heard hundreds of shows, and hundreds of Tweezer, Gin, and DWD jams and want to hear something that is really different. If 12.14.95 was for the masses; 7.15.2003 was for the vets. When many fans think about 2003 & 2004, they have the same reaction as I did when I was in elementary school and found out that the cafeteria was serving salmon patties (::Yuck::). So a 2003 or 2004 show has to be mind blowing to get any respect. I think that, despite the fact that this show was an official release, this show is actually underrated.
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Previous

Return to Live Phish