Most overrated Phish shows!!!

Live Phish discussion.

Re: Most overrated Phish shows!!!

Postby ramblinrose91 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:31 am

glide9811 wrote:This thread is funny, I don't have a definite top 5 but I can guarantee at least a few of the show listed would make an appearance on my top 5. Maybe I just enjoy overrated phish :P

12/07/97
12/31/95
04/03/98

These shows are as hyped as there are for a reason: They are the tit, the bee's knees mang!
control for smilers can't be bought
ramblinrose91

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Real Talk YEM » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:26 am

Overrated does not equal not incredible. and shill your arguments all sound very great on paper. all that stuff sounds great. but when it comes down to it the shows i mentioned are all great shows, I just happen to think they're not as good as the general consensus seems to think they are. 04/03/1998 for instance is one of the shows of the year. I however happen to put it in the top 10-15 range rather than the top 5. and dayton.... INCREDIBLE show!!! But like I said 11/16, 12/05, & 12/12 are the only Fall '97 shows I like less. I also agree with Will on 06/14/2000.

Really a lot of my issue is with what's released. They were close but fucked up. for instance they should've done 09/17 instead of 09/14/2000, 12/06 instead of 12/07/1997, 07/21 instead of 07/15/1998, 07/13 or 15 instead of 07/10/1999, 07/23 instead of 07/22/1997, 07/11 instead of 07/08/2000, etc.... really just boneheaded decisions on these.
Real Talk YEM
Former TLD

Postby S. Hill 88 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:35 am

Real Talk YEM wrote:Really a lot of my issue is with what's released. They were close but fucked up. for instance they should've done 09/17 instead of 09/14/2000, 12/06 instead of 12/07/1997, 07/21 instead of 07/15/1998, 07/13 or 15 instead of 07/10/1999, 07/23 instead of 07/22/1997, 07/11 instead of 07/08/2000, etc.... really just boneheaded decisions on these.

ok ok i can go with that. i too think they could of gone other ways with some releases. i wouldve took 6/18/94 or 6/26/94 releases over 6/22/94.

but i will never admit 12/7/97 or 4/3/98 are overrated....never :problem:
PHISH2010BRAH: 6/17 Hartford > 6/18 Hartford > 6/19 SPAC > 6/20 SPAC, 6/22 Great Woods

"The strength of their return, on a strictly musical level, is criminally understated."
-HoseMasterFlex
S. Hill 88

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby willbreathes » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:15 am

06/22/1994 can't be replaced.

Take it back, now. :P
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby ghost_2000 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:15 am

Yes, I think it's important to realize that just b/c someone says a show is "overrated" it doesn't necessarily mean they're knocking or badmouthing the show itself.

Hell, there are shows that I *love* but would still say are overrated.
My room is round when I lay down, when I wake up it's square.
ghost_2000
The Apparition

Postby willbreathes » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:16 am

If you "*love*" it, how is it overrated???

:wave:
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby ghost_2000 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:26 am

The two aren't mutually exclusive.
My room is round when I lay down, when I wake up it's square.
ghost_2000
The Apparition

Postby allgoodwithhood » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:32 am

groove from 12/31/95 as most overrated jam is incredibly absurd in my opinion.... if i was to show any newbie Trey's skills it would be right there.. listen again and then listen again and then listen one more time and reconsider..... best groove there is
allgoodwithhood

Postby gamecat » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:15 am

I think you're all fucked in the head!

Overrated shows? Seriously?

You know what I think is overrated? Everything but Phish.
gamecat
The Shepherd

Postby Clark W. Griswold » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:02 pm

I'm going to throw in my vote for 12/31/99.
I mean, talk about gimmicky! "Oooh, lets play for 8 hours straight, and end this set just as the sun comes up over the horizon." Like that's never been done before. :yawn:
Oh, and then lets all chant something totally obscure when the national tv audience is let in on our littlel get-together in the southeast. People will have no idea what the hell is going on. :lolno:

Not to mention the music that was played was, well, played. Nothing too special. :crazy:

So yeah, my vote for most overrated show goes to 12/31/99. :sick:
We passed a goddamn gas station every 10 yards for 1000 miles, but when you really need one, you end up walking your ass off. This is no way to run a desert!
Praise Marty Moose!
Clark W. Griswold

Postby bigB » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:17 pm

Can someone tell me what level of enjoyment I am to cut myself off at before I propel a show into the overated category. Perhaps when I'm jumping up and down during the show I should stop, gather my thoughts and truely evaluate wheather the joy I'm feeling is warranted. Maybe when I'm bopping around in my car and get that feeling going thru my body I'll check myself before I start feeling TOO good about what I'm hearing. It is definately best to curb an awesome feeling for the sake of not overfluffing a show.
As he saw his life run away from him 1000's ran along chanting words from a psalm.
bigB
Wookie-Tamer

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby The Ubiquitous Smokey » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:21 pm

I hate these threads.

and most of the people that create them :wave:
The Ubiquitous Smokey
East Side Jedi

Postby piper » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:36 pm

Clark W. Griswold wrote:I'm going to throw in my vote for 12/31/99.
I mean, talk about gimmicky! "Oooh, lets play for 8 hours straight, and end this set just as the sun comes up over the horizon." Like that's never been done before. :yawn:
Oh, and then lets all chant something totally obscure when the national tv audience is let in on our littlel get-together in the southeast. People will have no idea what the hell is going on. :lolno:

Not to mention the music that was played was, well, played. Nothing too special. :crazy:

i kinda agree with you....
piper

Postby lowspark » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:55 pm

bigb wrote:Can someone tell me what level of enjoyment I am to cut myself off at before I propel a show into the overated category. Perhaps when I'm jumping up and down during the show I should stop, gather my thoughts and truely evaluate wheather the joy I'm feeling is warranted. Maybe when I'm bopping around in my car and get that feeling going thru my body I'll check myself before I start feeling TOO good about what I'm hearing. It is definately best to curb an awesome feeling for the sake of not overfluffing a show.

:lol:
lowspark

Postby Clark W. Griswold » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:55 pm

piper wrote:
Clark W. Griswold wrote:I'm going to throw in my vote for 12/31/99.

i kinda agree with you....

Actually, I was kinda (totally) kidding. I really just wrote that to show how much I really don't like threads like this. Someone said it earlier, but one man's trash......
I actually love the 12/31/99 show, and that's my point. I love it and you don't think all that highly of it. To each their own, and it shows why threads like this don't agree with me.
All good though! :thumbup:
We passed a goddamn gas station every 10 yards for 1000 miles, but when you really need one, you end up walking your ass off. This is no way to run a desert!
Praise Marty Moose!
Clark W. Griswold

Postby S. Hill 88 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:01 pm

why is constructive criticism frowned upon :eh:
PHISH2010BRAH: 6/17 Hartford > 6/18 Hartford > 6/19 SPAC > 6/20 SPAC, 6/22 Great Woods

"The strength of their return, on a strictly musical level, is criminally understated."
-HoseMasterFlex
S. Hill 88

Postby Clark W. Griswold » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:10 pm

Not so much frowned upon, just stating that this is, to me, is a discussion that is along the lines of political discussions. Not so much "constructive" criticism, but rather just plain ol' criticism. People tend to think that your opinion is wrong, and start slinging mean remarks, and it's just a round and round argument. Nothing ever really gets accomplished.
Again, just my opinion. (which of course is the right one! ;) )
Praise Marty Moose!
Clark W. Griswold

Postby drbadgely » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:07 pm

IMO, we don't have to agree on anything here on the Oh Kee Pa other than the fact that we love music (doesn't have to be every note) played by a band called Phish... the rest is all a bonus.

And if you disagree with that, you're entitled to it as well. I'd like to see The Sage make an appearance in this thread again...
drbadgely

Postby posternutbagko » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:04 am

I think Big Cypress is my most overrated show. It seems to be a very common notion among fans that it is the greatest show ever played, giving it pretty much the highest rating possible. But musically I think it falls short of the best shows. It has some real special moments but also has alot music that doesn't really stand out at all. Obviously the sentimental value of Cypress propels it's reputation what with it being the ushering in of a new millenium and them playing until sunrise etc.

For me Big Cypress is a show that was good but is often considered the greatest ever, so the gap between the rating of "good' and "greatest ever" makes it the most overrated for me. Although I'm sure if I was there my opinion would be radically different (kind of proving a point that maybe just the whole experience of Big Cypress is a huuge part of the appeal).
Read the Book, for that matter read any book.
posternutbagko

Postby SuperJay » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:24 am

bigb wrote:Can someone tell me what level of enjoyment I am to cut myself off at before I propel a show into the overated category. Perhaps when I'm jumping up and down during the show I should stop, gather my thoughts and truely evaluate wheather the joy I'm feeling is warranted. Maybe when I'm bopping around in my car and get that feeling going thru my body I'll check myself before I start feeling TOO good about what I'm hearing. It is definately best to curb an awesome feeling for the sake of not overfluffing a show.

Dead on.

I usually skip these threads too. I'm all for constructive criticism.. and there are certainly some interesting points in these posts... but even defining "overrated" is impossible. It's completely subjective. You can't somehow measure how much a certain show gets talked about. Same with "fluffing" a show - that implies unwarranted praise, right? But who determines what's warranted and what isn't? Camden Sand gets a ton of props b/c it was a kickass jam. To someone who didn't like it that much, any praise is fluffing. To someone who attained complete oneness with the Universe during that jam, no amount of praise is enough.

One man's ceiling is another man's floor. (Beasties over Trey, bitches! Case in fuckin point! hahaha)
SuperJay

Postby bigB » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:19 am

"Vinny be fist pumpin like whaaat"
As he saw his life run away from him 1000's ran along chanting words from a psalm.
bigB
Wookie-Tamer

Postby S. Hill 88 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:56 am

SuperJay wrote:

Dead on.

I usually skip these threads too. I'm all for constructive criticism.. and there are certainly some interesting points in these posts... but even defining "overrated" is impossible. It's completely subjective. You can't somehow measure how much a certain show gets talked about. Same with "fluffing" a show - that implies unwarranted praise, right? But who determines what's warranted and what isn't? Camden Sand gets a ton of props b/c it was a kickass jam. To someone who didn't like it that much, any praise is fluffing. To someone who attained complete oneness with the Universe during that jam, no amount of praise is enough.

One man's ceiling is another man's floor. (Beasties over Trey, bitches! Case in fuckin point! hahaha)

missing the point i guess :roll:

-HoseMasterFlex
S. Hill 88

Postby charliedigital » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:43 am

shill88 wrote:why is constructive criticism frowned upon :eh:

Not to be a douche but what is constructive about arguing what shows you feel don't live up to they hype?
One for sport, and one for blood.
charliedigital

Postby drbadgely » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:44 am

It's odd to me how these types of threads get people so worked up...

People like to categorize and make lists - best of, worst of, darkest, sloppiest, funkiest, underrated, overrated -- they're all just adjectives...

:|
drbadgely

Postby S. Hill 88 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:00 am

drbadgely wrote:It's odd to me how these types of threads get people so worked up...

People like to categorize and make lists - best of, worst of, darkest, sloppiest, funkiest, underrated, overrated -- they're all just adjectives...

:|

thats all i saw it as.
charliedigital wrote:
shill88 wrote:why is constructive criticism frowned upon :eh:

Not to be a douche but what is constructive about arguing what shows you feel don't live up to they hype?

there was no arguing about the shows, just sharing opinions and defending shows which we liked. these threads just for whatever reason tick people off.

-HoseMasterFlex
S. Hill 88

PreviousNext

Return to Live Phish