The Official Brooklyn DVD/CD Thread

Live Phish discussion.

Postby gregradiohead » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:25 pm

Did I not *specifically* mention that Mike's Groove in my post??
gregradiohead
Goderator

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby willbreathes » Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:43 pm

Haha... I'm sorry Greg. I didn't read that high up in the thread when replying.

Can you ever forgive me?????

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

"we got the moon and stars above"
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby gregradiohead » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:35 am

I forgive you. No worries.
gregradiohead
Goderator

Postby jamieusher » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:56 pm

I will buy it some day.
jamieusher

Postby hosemasterflex » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:32 pm

Just got mine in the mail ... now the question is, where to find several hours to enjoy all this stuff?
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby hosemasterflex » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:58 pm

I love the DVD ... I'm really just getting used to Strung-Out-Trey, so this one, Vegas, and the few post-hiatus CDs I have are all a little tough for me for that reason ...

Last night I listened to about half the bonus disc (I think Fish screws up at the end of Camelwalk - keeps playing when they're supposed to have stopped together, no?) .... and man, *I* can play the Stash composed section better than Trey did at Coney Island.

I don't know about you, but I get this twinge of embarrassment when Trey's off the mark that bad. I have a real tough time with Fleet Center 12-02-2003 for the same reason.

God, will I ever shut up about Trey's decline?

[GOD: If I have anything to say about it, then sweet Jesus, yes! You will shut up about Trey's decline!!]
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby rebel12585 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:27 am

please do or stop thinking about it
rebel12585

Postby gregradiohead » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:48 am

I don't know if it's decline so much as decline in dedication. They clearly did not practice enough during their last few tours together even if they still could produce magic with their jams.
gregradiohead
Goderator

Postby hosemasterflex » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:10 pm

Well, in my estimation, the difference in Trey's playing is not equal to the difference in the other three guys.

You can see where the other three are rusty, but it's different than being profoundly spaced out.

It's not only about a lack of practice and dedication. Trey's brain just wasn't right.

hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby gregradiohead » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:10 pm

His soloing definitely isn't up to par, but I would wager that their collective improvisational ability was just as good as ever.
gregradiohead
Goderator

Postby hosemasterflex » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:22 pm

^Some of the post-hiatus jams are out of this world for sure.

I was just talking specifically about how Trey's flubs during this period are scary-bad. Like, on Brooklyn for example: he plays the harmonics in the main Maze riff on the third fret instead of the fifth, which is at first sorta forgiveable/understandable ... but it takes him SO LONG to even realize the mistake.

It's worth pointing out that Trey at his worst is still better than, say, Mick Mars at his best.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby gregradiohead » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:24 am

You make some good points, sirrah.
I guess it's unfair, but my main beef with this DVD is that the only reason they released it is because they had the footage. I would take basically any 03 show and most 04 shows over it anyday.
gregradiohead
Goderator

Postby dmcnul91 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:24 am

after listening to all of the shows from summer 04 except for 3 so far, i agree with that above statement. while i like the song selection, the jams in every other show, except coventry and the second brooklyn night, i would rather see on dvd than this show. i still have to listen to 8-11 and 8-12, and 6-20.
dmcnul91
Prep School Hippie

Postby gregradiohead » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:30 am

No question about 6/20!! That would kick this show in the ass AND balls.
gregradiohead
Goderator

Postby sirtubepiper » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:55 am

6/19/04 would have been the best! maybe one of the Alpine shows also

but as the next DVD, they should really release...12/31/98, 12/30/94, 12/13/97?
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
sirtubepiper

Postby yemalope » Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:17 pm

i was actually just sayin to my buddy that i wish they had footage of the saratoga weekend. what a fuckin weekend that was. second set on 6-20 was insane!
yemalope

Postby fone » Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:27 pm

Gonna be another hot one in NJ today, although they're predicting the hottest is yet to come this week.

But this morning is nice, clear, and temperate, and there must be a lot of folks on vacation because the roads to work weren't that crowded for some reason. So I pulled out the CD case we loaded for vacation and decided this morning to listen to the extra disk that came with the Brooklyn package, with cuts from 6/18/04 and some sound checks.

I only got to hear the Camel Walk, Stash, and CTB completely, and a little bit of the Tweezer. I went to 6/18 but never downloaded the show, so this was the first time I've heard these songs since being there. And although the recordings allow the ears to pick up a ton of Trey flubs, overall, I still liked this part of the show as much as I remember from that night.

I thought the first half of 6/18 was decent, and enjoyed myself immensely that night. The band seemed relaxed and into the moment, and pulled out some pretty good licks once they started going. Of course we've all heard Camel Walks and Stash's that were better played, but they were kind of loose and enjoying what they were doing, and it didn't seem to bother me at the time that it wasn't their best. I guess I was kind of happy to be getting what I had in the light of their announcement to end it all.

Actually, the second half of the show started out pretty decently with DWD, and only began to fall apart, imho, after the Jay-Z stuff. I thought the momentum and focus had disappeared, maybe it was mine, possibly it was both, but I didn't care for too much of this show after that.

It's funny though, now that I think of it, how sometimes they come out of these "guest appearances" fine, and other times, it blows the set for them. The first Camel Walk I ever heard was right after the Ken Kesey appearance at Darien Lakes on 8/14/97. And although people were probably looking for the band to finish the Forbin's with Mockingbird, I think they took the right course and kept the funk that was "buried too deep" alive by doing the Camel Walk. It seemed to flow more naturally out of the Kesey appearance than the Chalkdust did out of Jay-Z
Here's your ticket pack your bag
Time for jumpin' overboard
The transportation is here
Close enough but not too far,
Maybe you know where you are
Fightin' fire with fire
fone
The Sage

Postby gregradiohead » Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:21 pm

Another excellent post!! I advise you to give that Chalkdust Torture another listen. I remember it being pretty experimental and interesting.
gregradiohead
Goderator

Postby jamphandan » Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:54 pm

Stash always takes me back to 1995, and the ALO album that helped me really
jamphandan
Trans-Atlantic Wook

Postby gregradiohead » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:50 am

Two nights ago I was watching all of the Phish DVDs for something to do....and I hereby defy anyone to make an argument that the Suzy Greenberg played on 6/17/04 is anything but a failed experiment. Oh sure, there's good parts during the first part of it, but once they get to the reprise jam it turns to complete bullflop.
gregradiohead
Goderator

Postby ghost_2000 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:19 am

Two nights ago I was watching all of the Phish DVDs for something to do....and I hereby defy anyone to make an argument that the Suzy Greenberg played on 6/17/04 is anything but a failed experiment. Oh sure, there's good parts during the first part of it, but once they get to the reprise jam it turns to complete bullflop.

won't hear a peep from me. yeah the first part of the jam is groovy and funky, then it gets *heavy* and not a good heavy at that. blech.
My room is round when I lay down, when I wake up it's square.
ghost_2000
The Apparition

Postby fone » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:17 pm

Another excellent post!! I advise you to give that Chalkdust Torture another listen. I remember it being pretty experimental and interesting.

I stand humbly corrected in anything I said about the Chalkdust from 6/18/04. I got stuck in the homebound traffic last night because of a massive fire at a building supply company and even the back roads were jammed. So I got plenty of time to listen to that version, and I agree with you totally.

I don't know what it was that gave me a bad impression about the end of that show. All I know is that after listening to the Camel Walk, Stash, Tweezer, and Chalkdust, I need to get a copy of the whole thing. I think it may be stronger in spots than any of 6/17.

btw, I agree on the Suzy. Something happened with it and I'm not sure what it was. Not a great version by any means. Suzy has always been one of the few vehicles that Page is given a chance to shine, and when he does, it's just a fantastic song.
Here's your ticket pack your bag
Time for jumpin' overboard
The transportation is here
Close enough but not too far,
Maybe you know where you are
Fightin' fire with fire
fone
The Sage

Postby Atoms » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:09 pm

This dvd is the shit. Best DVD i own. The rain annoyed me. And the shots where they would try and do something cool looking with the droplets on the camera lens. It diverted my attention away from the "action" too much. Very solid setlist and solid playing. Ive only watched the second set one time because ive been watching the first set constantly. It has everything. And the extras were kinda weak. They shouldve shown the backstage jams like they show in the booklet thing. I hope there are more dvds on the way so they can do the family guy thing and bring the boys back based on the sales. I did notice though that the crowd had a lot more "party people" than phans from other shows ive seen. boo frat boys. Hooray beer!
we are all being pursed. some have been found, some are still running. some will keep running until they get to the end of the road, straight off the proverbial cliff. you don't have to turn back, you just have to turn around.
Atoms
The Awoken

Postby Buster » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:24 am

Are there hidden features on any of the other releases similar to the ones on the Brooklyn DVD?
Buster
The NorEaster

Postby gregradiohead » Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:43 am

There's one on the IT DVD but it's basically an alternate audio/video version of Waves.
gregradiohead
Goderator

PreviousNext

Return to Live Phish