The Official Brooklyn DVD/CD Thread

Live Phish discussion.

Postby gregradiohead » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:42 am

One of the things I love about the Oh Kee Pa is when people dig up old threads and I get to see posts of mine that are sometimes years old and to compare what I was thinking/feeling then to now.

For what it's worth, I like Nothing a lot, too. In fact it's one of those songs that gives me optimism about how great Phish could be when they come back, because one of its performances--I think it's during the first Noblesville show from the summer '04 tour--felt like a breath of fresh air to me. It's been awhile since I heard it on Live Phish Radio, but this ballad-y song, during this performance, slowly works itself up into a rocking groove that segues into '46 Days.' It's the kind of unique moment that is so quintessentially Phish, and one of those interesting little improvisational moments that fall between the cracks of larger discussions about setlists, tours, or entire years.
gregradiohead
Goderator

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby ghettosloth » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:36 am

i have bittersweet motel, it, and the walnutcreek show, is this one worth buying?
ghettosloth

Postby jbarker » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:19 am

I think it is, even though it is only an OK show. The video footage is better than Walnut Creek.

The Curtain (With), Moma Dance>Free, and 46 Days>Possum all make it worth the purchase, IMO. However, the rest of the show is mediocre, with the exception of ASIHTOS, and Nothing, which were both debuts at the show.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
jbarker

Postby Fugazi » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:45 am

Are you kidding me? Brooklyn DVD is wayyyyy better in soooo many ways than Walnut Creek. I do like'em both though.
Fugazi

Postby The Ubiquitous Smokey » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:39 pm

^really?
The Ubiquitous Smokey
East Side Jedi

Postby gregradiohead » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:58 pm

ghettosloth wrote:i have bittersweet motel, it, and the walnutcreek show, is this one worth buying?

It's up there with IT as far as the best picture quality, but it's generally considered one of the weakest shows of the summer '04 tour, if not the weakest. In my opinion it's one of those shows where the setlist looks amazing but the actual playing just isn't up to snuff.
gregradiohead
Goderator

Postby hosemasterflex » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:27 pm

I feel it's an average 2004 show, myself, when you factor in Coventry & Vegas ... I feel the June shows were better than the August shows in general, from what I've listened to. I definitely don't think it's the weakest show of the summer.

I really like this DVD ... I like it more than IT actually. It's a whole show, it's well shot, cool setlist, average 2004 playing.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby easo91 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:17 am

I have stayed away from the PH shows because of all the mediocre/bad things I have heard about it, so i don't know how this show compares to the rest of the tour, but the 46>possum blew me away the first time I heard it.
easo91

Postby drbadgely » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:46 am

I'll remain positive and acknowledge that there's some solid stuff on there. However, the first time I heard the show was while I watched the DVD, and my foremost memory is cringing during "Dinner and a Movie."

:-/
drbadgely

Postby ghost_2000 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:50 pm

I bought it just to buy it.

My room is round when I lay down, when I wake up it's square.
ghost_2000
The Apparition

Postby gregradiohead » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:54 am

At the very least, it's hard to argue that you wouldn't rather have had either of the SPAC shows on DVD. I was re-listening to set II of 6/19/04 last night and god damn is that an amazing set. I think as time goes on the two SPAC shows will get the love and debate they deserve.
gregradiohead
Goderator

Postby hosemasterflex » Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:19 am

^Totally agree that SPAC '04 was real good stuff.

I'm considerably more familiar with 6/19 - but they're both wicked.

Of the 2004 shows I've heard (which are only 7 anyway, including Coventry), SPAC stands out as the best run of the whole year. Brooklyn's decent though, when you compare it to other, non-SPAC, '04 shows.

What's nice about 2004 is I have a better handle on the live output from that year than most years, simply because there were way fewer shows! I just don't have it in me to collect & listen to all of, say, 1997 or whatever ... but I'm not too far from having heard all of 2004. I've actually just hooked myself up with the rest of August.

So, yeah.

I finally collect a whole tour and I choose August 2004. Real smooth.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby KDF4LYPHE » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:46 am

I'm listening to 6.26.04 Piper-->Hood right now

the Piper jam is dirty sick, and this Hood is better than I remembered, if you ignore Trey during the "Thank You MR MINOR" parts

The two Brooklyn shows are my least favorite of the 4 2-nite runs in June '04 (Brooklyn->SPAC->Deer Creek-->Alpine). I'm glad I bought the DVD, and I really like watching Curtain and Moma->Free, but I never watch any of that second set past Suzy. Mostly throw-away stuff from that point on, imo
I LOOK TO THE STARS AND THE ANSWER IS CLEAR
I LOOK IN THE MIRROR AND SEE WHAT I FEAR
KDF4LYPHE
_________

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby 83gangsta » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:11 am

Would I rather have had the 06/19 monster or alpine? yeah. but the moma dance from this shows is one of the highlights of the year, it begins funky and jammin enough while its light out and ends when its dark in the most sinister, forboding, macabre, but awesome drone. that's the highlight for me. the extras are pretty cool too, interesting venue as well. i was thinking as i was watching it the other day when i saw a subway past what those people were thinking.... "what the hell is that down there at keyspan? looks big, and those lights are tight, damn, that smells good, what the...."
83gangsta

Re: The Official Brooklyn DVD/CD Thread

Postby hosemasterflex » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:44 pm

Greetings CD is better than I remember it. I just listened today. In fact I watched disc two of the DVD last night, and that's way better than I remember as well.

Maybe 2.0 is just better in general now that there's a 3.0.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby willbreathes » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:12 pm

Will have to give this another try. I remember thinking this show(s) were complete shit.
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby hosemasterflex » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:56 pm

Yeah I spent the breakup hating on 2.0. The jams sound pretty same-y to me, and very long jams aren't my thing generally.

But looking back at this it's not anywhere near as sad and disappointing, since it's history now and there's definitely been redemption. Trey's ears just stick out a lot more than normal cuz of the haircut, mainly.

Actually I like the flavor of the jamming, since it's really pretty heavy and dirty, and it's unique to that time.

Still haven't figured out what's so boring about that DSky though ... I literally cannot pay attention to it.

The bonus CD has a couple/few Fluffhead moments in the soundcheck section of songs at the end, where they break into the beginning of the "Fluff's Travels", and just play it a little bit half heartedly for a minute. Kinda funny to hear them doing that at June 2004.

One thought I had while watching this, was that this was the very 1st show of the Awkward Band Funeral Tour Summer 04. Another thought I have is, I wonder if Coventry will ever get on DVD ... and if it does I fear I will get it and actually watch it.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Previous

Return to Live Phish