How Do You Keep Phish Shows?

Live Phish discussion.

How Do You Keep Phish Shows?

Postby hosemasterflex » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:42 pm

Are you keeping a huge messy stash of shows, some on CDR, some in messy folders on your hard drive? Are you anal about making sure they're not mp3? Are ALL your shows mp3? Do you have a sad tale of losing your collection or some of it? Do you press all your live Phish shows to vinyl?

I'm Kevin, and I have a shit-ton of Phish music and random Phish stuff.

I've got probably 100 CDRs stashed away with .shn and .flac files all over 'em. I've got a live phish mp3 collection in folders by year that I just started for myself ... I've got my LivePhish 1-19 (odd numbers) in a CD wallet to protect them from the weird folded inserts, and those stay in the cardboard box w/no discs in 'em ... I've got many CDRs with straight .wav/.cda or whatever, files on 'em, of shows from lots of years.

In general my collection is in order. I just decided to start ripping them all to .mp3 since that's my preferred live phish format, and it'll be cool to have them in one place.

I was surprised that I have so many shows from some years and hardly any from others. I have a ton of 1992 (my favorite, so no surprise there), but only like three or four shows from 91. And I think I only have the one 1989 show somehow. And I think 2010 holds the record, I have so much 2010 it's crazy. Good year to be stocked up on though.

How bout you? Spindles of unlabeled CDRs? Or meticulously maintained external hard drive with 100% FLAC only?
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: How Do You Keep Phish Shows?

Postby the dooj » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:48 pm

Well..... I've converted most of the accessible collection to mp3 and I pull it from the main iTunes RAID that is set up in my home. I've pretty much ditched the cd-rs, though I have not been able to bring myself to throw out any casette tapes (probably never will).

HOWEVER, my taper buddy and I also keep a high quality FLAC library on another RAID that contains virtually every Phish recording that is currently in circulation. That is in addition to his closet's worth of DAT tapes. :crazy:

Oh yeah..... and I have Junta on vinyl. :thumbup:
"The good outnumber you, and we always will."
the dooj

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby nugfin » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:46 pm

It's gotten to the point where I don't even know what I have anymore. There was one point, before my kids were born, that I would download and burn so many shows I was going thru spindles faster than they could make them. I'm sure there's a shit-ton of shows I have that I never even listened to. Spindles upstairs, downstairs, in the attic; I even found loose CDr's on my cellar floor not too long ago :sick: :?:

I have several boxes of old Maxell tapes up in my attic all handwritten that I just can't get myself to throw out.

Once SHN and FLAC came out - that's all I wanted. So I started re-doing every show that I had in that format, but being the dumbass I am sometimes, I never labled which ones were mp3 and which ones were lossless. I've tried several times to go through my whole collection and sort the good from the bad, but never see it through to the end.

Once I get rid of my car and take over my wife's I'm gonna go completely digital - her stereo has a built in memory card slot and ipod input. Until then I'm slinging the disks (lossless only). :lol:
I'm not good with numbers I just count on knowing when I'm high enough
nugfin

Postby goldenroad » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:52 pm

I don't even know anymore. Most of the 3.0 stuff I just have on my hard drive, anything before that is mostly on cd-r's as actual audio c.d.'s. I've got one of those plastic storage dealies with the drawers that has all my 1.0 and 2.0 shows, but they are so out of order now (after a couple of moves) that I can barely look in there unless I am looking to just pull out a disc at random.

EDIT: ^ LOL. I like that we both started our posts the same way, at the same time.
goldenroad
Undercover Wook

Postby piper » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:57 pm

What the heck is a CD?
piper

Postby willbreathes » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:00 pm

1 TB HD dedicated for Phish & Phish side-projects, FLAC & SHN.

Numerous spindles of DVD-Rs of the same FLAC&SHN as a back up to the HD.

MP3's of the Live Phish CD series on my Zune Hard Drive. (original CDs in cases stored away, along with every other "official" CD)

Random shows in MP3 format as well as 3.0 SBDs on Zune-specific HD, which also connects to Google Play Music streaming software.

I think that is it... I gave away all of my MP3 audio-CDs to Henrietta many moons ago. They were collecting dust, and not incredibly organized/complete.
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby willbreathes » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:01 pm

Ohh oh, and one of those old 30-pack carrier cases of bootleg tapes. For when times get tough.
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby the dooj » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:00 pm

^Will, the backup to DVD-r thing may fail you in the long run. You should check out a RAID or hard drive array. That way, when a drive fails, you just grab a new one and pop it in and you still have all your data.

And for rock solid backup, I use retrospect with LTO tape. :thumbup:
the dooj

Postby goldenroad » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:18 pm

dooj of life wrote: You should check out a RAID or hard drive array. That way, when a drive fails, you just grab a new one and pop it in and you still have all your data.

I googled it and read a long Gizmodo article about it, but I still don't get RAID. So, would I have to buy the hard drive array and the hard drives separately, or is this kind of an all-in-one thing? I just don't understand how it works. It's basically a hard drive that's really multiple hard drives?
goldenroad
Undercover Wook

Postby the dooj » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:55 am

^Yep.

Basically, a standard sized hard drive looks like this:

That's what exists in most PC/Mac desktops and most normal sized external hard drives. You can buy them online or at best buy or frye's or wherever. they just plug into a port or a case, which connects them to a computer.

With a RAID, there are more than one in the same case. Most simple being a 2-drive RAID like this: http://www.amazon.com/Synology-DiskStat ... 21&sr=1-17

You have 2, 1TB drives but you only get 1TB of space because the drives are mirrors of each other. If one goes down, you're alerted by the software or by a beep or whatever and then you replace it by opening up the case, popping the bad drive out, and plugging in a new drive. The chances of both going down at the same time is very slim.... but to make them even slimmer, I use a 5 drive RAID. :thumbup:
the dooj

Postby willbreathes » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:54 am

If all else fails...

bt.etree.org

shnfamily HUB

The music is out there, you just got to listen to it.
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby Brother » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:04 am

I have an HD and a bunch of CDs. I like the CDs because I like to have a physical collection. Not very much Phish is on my computer since I had to have it fixed (ie all wiped). I didn't lose much that I didn't have backed up except for a few 2011 shows and some jams I'd downloaded individually from phishows, such as this Gin from 98. I want to say July....28th 98. It's real funky with some sick B3 work followed by a melodic butter jam similar to the NYE 2010 Ghost. Whats this Gin?
Brother

Postby willbreathes » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:06 am

Every now and then I stream a show from nugs.net and feel like it is 2002 all over again.

Anybody remember deadshows.org? They had a ton of great music.

And Furthurnet was my introduction to real file sharing, not so much a Phish heavy place though. I remember lots of Radiohead.
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby hosemasterflex » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:31 am

I'm just discovering teh google spreadsheet.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby willbreathes » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:07 pm

^ That is what I am using for quickly throwing the '99 shows onto my old phone. Much easier/quicker than converting lossless>mp3.

I've noticed some big problems with it however, corrupt files and whatnot.
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby AsianGirl » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:49 pm

1.0 Shows: mostly on Maxells from the old B&P / trading days; probably like 30 or so shows
2.0 Shows: a lot less and some on CD-Rs, some on tapes
3.0 Shows: between my external drive and computer's hard drive, mostly in virtual format, but some burnt to CD-Rs if I wanted to use a CD player to listen to them. I think all of the 3.0s are basically accounted for, since they are so accessible, but I've never inventoried nor actually consolidated

And a bunch of Live Phish discs in an oPhishal Phish 3-ring binder I got from my sisters one year as presents.

I'm not so huge / anal on keeping recordings of shows, not because I don't enjoy re-listening... just cause I'm one of those people that enjoy the shows live about 10x more so than hearing a recording. The experience of actually being at a show, the lights, the crowd, the collective energy .. that's what I love the most about Phish and the Phish experience.

Perhaps my favorite way of 'keeping Phish shows' is in my heart and in my memories.
*Everything from now on is all Gravy*
AsianGirl

Postby nugfin » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:17 pm

AsianGirlPYK wrote:Perhaps my favorite way of 'keeping Phish shows' is in my heart and in my memories.

Awwwwwwwwwwww :cry: :cry: So sweet :angel:
I'm not good with numbers I just count on knowing when I'm high enough
nugfin

Postby delayloop » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:27 pm

Remember livePHISH releases? The folding CD pages that fit into the phish binder? I spent money on that shit. Then I realized there were as good or better recordings out there. CD-Rs: what the fuck. I have so many spindles of random shows (some marked, some not).

I have all my phish files on my hard drive arranged by year (but first studio folders vs live folders).

I'm on the brink of deleting all the things on my hard drive and just listening to music on spotify. Or just not listening to music at all.

If I crammed as much books or learning into my brain as I did music . . . sheesh.
Southern Phish
delayloop

Postby nanook » Tue May 01, 2012 2:43 am

When I used to do tape trades through the mail I had a few cases of tapes neatly labeled in order. I had a trade list with all my shows, what generation they were and stuff.

Now I have stacks of random CD's. I have a lot on my laptop and burn CD's or put them on my phone if I wanna listen to something in my car. But the CD's in my car tend to get damaged. I actually threw away about 100 Phish CD's the other day because they were all disorganized and/or scratched or messed up.

One of these days I'm gonna get organizized ;)

nanook
Universal Mind

Postby hosemasterflex » Tue May 01, 2012 3:51 am

I got this great system going on actually.

My history is thus.

In like 1991 I taped just songs. Bits of songs in some cases (I taped "I Didn't Know" and paused during the vacuum solo cuz I was a wee ignorant lad that had no sense of perspective on how beautiful a vacuum [trombone actually I think] solo could be.)

Graduated to realizing I needed to get like, whole shows, man. I think my first whole-show tapes were the day-after broadcast of 12-31-92 on WBCN in Boston ... god, I loved that two tape set so much.

Amassed about 100 tapes (~60-70 shows?) until finally the future happened, and we all moved on to CDR. I mailed those tapes away long ago to some jerk who doesn't give a shit about me, or my friends, or love or anything good like that.

Then I got down with the DC++ machine and got flac & shn files of every show I ever saw by good God Almighty holy crap I still can't believe that shit.

Now, having been nerdily diligent enough to label all of that, I've got this car stereo that plays mp3s right off a data CDR, and I can just burn a disc with a few shows on it, and I'm good to go.

Am currrently building a library of mp3s of every live show I've got in the house. Going chronologically from the beginning, and I just got up to Summer 1995 right now.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby Katiemay » Wed May 02, 2012 4:10 pm

nugfin wrote:
AsianGirlPYK wrote:Perhaps my favorite way of 'keeping Phish shows' is in my heart and in my memories.

Awwwwwwwwwwww :cry: :cry: So sweet :angel:

Dang! You got to it before me! I was going to post "in my heart and in my mind." Well, I guess I still did.

hosemasterflex wrote:Are you keeping a huge messy stash of shows, some on CDR, some in messy folders on your hard drive?

Yes and yes.
Katiemay

Postby ErrandWolfe » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:35 am

In the 90's i had tons of Tapes and several CD's...

In 2.0 everything I had was CD and my Tapes went into the closet...

3.0, everything I have is all mp3's and is broken up into many different categories (LivePhish releases, Soundchecks, Webcasts, etc), I have AUD's and SBD's of every show of 3.0 and 2003 and about 150 shows from 1.0...I only have about 5 shows from 2004 as I feel it's a very weak year...One of these day's i will convert everything to disc for a hard copy but it would take me an entire year with the amount of stuff I have...
Here's a place of elegance...
ErrandWolfe

Postby Mulch » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:55 pm

dooj of life wrote:
You have 2, 1TB drives but you only get 1TB of space because the drives are mirrors of each other. If one goes down, you're alerted by the software or by a beep or whatever and then you replace it by opening up the case, popping the bad drive out, and plugging in a new drive. The chances of both going down at the same time is very slim.... but to make them even slimmer, I use a 5 drive RAID. :thumbup:

i hope you are using a raid 5 setup. if not, you may want to, speed and redundancy with less loss storage in redundancy. you do need more than 2 drives tho, but they are hot swappable

dooj is right, at this stage in the game, as long as you understand what is happening and how the parts work together, raid is pretty easy to set up and reliable. i had a bad experience 4 years ago where a raid 0 controller went out and other raid controllers couldnt reassemble the raid. there was no corruption, it was just a proprietary controller on a discontinued motherboard. i ended having to spend like $200 on software to reassemble the array and grab my data off. currently, i am only doing a raid 1 mirror for mission critical things, but i have thought about putting a raid 5 tower together... it really is the best method for speed and redundancy.

now, back to the topic

nugfin wrote:It's gotten to the point where I don't even know what I have anymore. There was one point... that I would download and burn so many shows I was going thru spindles faster than they could make them. I'm sure there's a shit-ton of shows I have that I never even listened to. Spindles upstairs, downstairs, in the attic; I even found loose CDr's on my cellar floor not too long ago :sick: :?:

I have several boxes of old Maxell tapes up in my attic all handwritten that I just can't get myself to throw out.

^this

also, i kinda stopped listening to phish all the time when they bummed me out in 2.0 since 3.0, and stopped intentionally collecting, even though i enjoy it immensely live, maybe now more than ever; there doesnt seem a need to collect as it is everywhere. i just posted a link to fromtheaquarium who appears to be on a mission to post every sourced entire show that they can get their hands on. and with livephish, if i happen to not be able to locate a 3.0 show to suit my needs, i can just pull out the plastic and feed the phish. i do need to get rid of the cdrs tho. no reason to keep them except they take up no space (unlike my boxes of tdks all protected in cases)

i work on computers and video editing for a living, and i am a dumbfuck and have shit tons of unlabeled disks that were probably only temporary or completely useless (bootleg aol 3.5 disk or something). i now have access to no less than 5 sharpies near my work area. the second that pops out it gets labeled. that doesnt solve my mount everest of unlabeled shinies, but live and learn, right?

however, i ussually listen to my pandora one quickmixing my schitzo 50 channels for variety, which it has. except when i am in "show mode" which i obviously am right now. right now i am wondering which kidney to sell if they decide to do a fall hop to vegas.

but all that said, i cant bear to part with boxes of old cassettes. i havent even had a cassette player in 10 years, but i cant do it.

man, this thread makes me feel all guilty about the many boxes of media i spent time amassing that i will never even know i have or hear what is on them

but, on the other hand, the digital age gives me free access to pretty much everything, so everything physical that i keep is purely sentimental
Mulch

Postby Mulch » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:01 pm

ErrandWolfe wrote:One of these day's i will convert everything to disc for a hard copy but it would take me an entire year with the amount of stuff I have...

just imagine how much time it would take to listen to them all :twisted:

that is actually probably more the point i stopped "collecting" than loss of mojo in 2.0

i had a taper friend that was so busy taping and duping that he never really LISTENED to the small rooms worth of tape he collected. i mean he did, but he was trading with so many people that the math didnt add up to how was he going to listen to all this stuff

i realized how unlikely it would be i would ever listen to everything i was collecting, so instead of being a compulsion it became more strong recommendations and shows i have attended. and of course the bunny cuz everything else i will hear when i am supposed to hear it :lol:
Mulch

Postby Phinst » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:33 am

I have all my Phish Cd's in two CD binders and all Side Projects in a separate one. I have them all in order by date and each CD has it's own "cover"(poster board cut into squares) which is handwritten and includes Date, Venue, Set and Set list & a smoking joint symbol next to favorite/notable jams. Each show"s cover is color coded, (Chicago shows may be Blue) (Indiana-Red)(Pittsburgh-yellow)etc.. and I alternate colors for each show, so I can easily tell which shows go together :geek:
...Dip a ladle for a taste of her creation...& she knew that what she made...
would be the Finest in the Nation....

2016: Xcel Energy Ctr>Wrigley Phield(1), Deer Creek//Nashville(1)>
Alpharettax2
Phinst

Next

Return to Live Phish