Amsterdam '97 Boxset

Live Phish discussion.

Amsterdam '97 Boxset

Postby nugfin » Mon May 04, 2015 3:25 am

An all new 8-CD Box Set from Phish's infrequent European shows. Full shows from 2/17/97, 7/1/97 and 7/2/97 at the Paradiso, Amsterdam, The Netherlands. On February 17, 1997 Phish first played Paradiso, a converted former church turned rock-club/cultural center with a capacity of about 1500. Over the next four months, Phish logged three breakthrough shows at this historic venue where the intimate setting pushed the music to new heights again and again. From the Soul Shakedown party opener and fluid, psychedelic improvisation-clinic-of-a-set II (Down With Disease > Carini > Taste > Down With Disease) on 2/17/97 to the “back of the worm” Ghost opener, Reba and another peak transcendent Set II [Fish Keyboard Jam > Timber (Jerry) > Bathtub Gin > Cities] on 7/1/97 through the Mike’s Groove Sandwich and must-hear Stash > Llama > Wormtown Jam plus the double encore of 7/2/97, these three shows spread over 8 CD’s comprise some of the most experimental music Phish ever played. The three shows on the Amsterdam box, the only Phish shows to-date at Paradiso, combine to deliver the full impact of a shared peak experience in an exotic locale seamlessly integrated and sizzling with creative intensity. The shows were recorded by Paul Languedoc to multitrack tape, mixed by Jon Altschiller and mastered by Fred Kevorkian. Pick up this set and prepare for transport to the canals of Amsterdam…to the back of the worm.

Setlists (via Phish.net)

February 17, 1997 Paradiso, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Set One: Soul Shakedown Party[1], Divided Sky, Wilson > My Soul, Guyute, Timber (Jerry) > Billy Breathes, Llama, Bathtub Gin > Golgi Apparatus

Set Two: The Squirming Coil -> Down with Disease -> Carini[2] -> Taste -> Down with Disease > Suzy Greenberg > Prince Caspian

Encore: Sleeping Monkey > Rocky Top

[1] Phish debut.
[2] Debut.

July 1, 1997 Paradiso, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Set One: Ghost[1], Horn, Ya Mar[1], Limb By Limb -> Ain't Love Funny, Saw It Again[1], Dirt, Reba, Dogs Stole Things

Set Two: Jam[2] -> Timber (Jerry) > Bathtub Gin -> Cities -> Jam[1], Loving Cup > Slave to the Traffic Light

Encore: When the Circus Comes

[1] "Worm" banter.
[2] The second set began with a Fish piano solo that evolved into a jam, as the rest of the band eventually joined the stage and Fish moved to his drum kit.

July 2, 1997 Paradiso, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Set One: Mike's Song > Simple -> Maze, Strange Design, Ginseng Sullivan, Vultures, Water in the Sky > Weekapaug Groove

Set Two: Stash -> Llama -> Wormtown Jam[1] -> Wading in the Velvet Sea

Encore: Free

Encore Two: David Bowie

[1] Narration sung to the tune of Swingtown. Trey warned fans about the "killer worms" that inhabit the canals of Amsterdam.

I'm not good with numbers I just count on knowing when I'm high enough
nugfin

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Amsterdam '97 Boxset

Postby GratefulPhish » Mon May 04, 2015 5:20 am

7/2/97 is one of my favorite shows eva

the second set is just ridiculous, the auds out there aren't that bad but I can't wait to hear that one via multitrack
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Postby willbreathes » Mon May 04, 2015 8:37 pm

re: You Three Favorite Eras

Re: Type Your Phish Thoughts
Postby willbreathes » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:36 pm

08/1993
06/1994
02/1997

They listen, they really listen!

:wave: :wave:
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby Harpua » Tue May 05, 2015 12:11 am

Imma git it.
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby Brother » Tue May 05, 2015 11:25 am

willbreathes wrote:re: You Three Favorite Eras

Re: Type Your Phish Thoughts
Postby willbreathes » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:36 pm

08/1993
06/1994
02/1997

They listen, they really listen!

:wave: :wave:

I thought about this when I saw the announcement! I wish they were listening all the times Kev and I wanted a March 92 box set. Gimme dat 92 shred! Weekapaug Groove!
Brother

Postby PardonMe Doug » Mon May 18, 2015 7:36 pm

omg...hands down the best release since Clifford Ball...fuck yea
PardonMe Doug

Postby Harpua » Sun May 24, 2015 3:24 am

Just pre-ordered it today!
Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby TanasRoot » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:24 am

anyone else get theirs today?

i really like the sound... the band sounds sharp and energized and you can definitely feel the vibe of the room.

the Soul Shakedown debut sounds actually the best played i've heard... maybe its Page on the piano instead of the hammond that makes the magic. Divided Sky absolutely rips... i don't think anything "special" but its pure hose.

there's other small oddities in the first but its a pretty good set. i really liked the Squirming Coil with its odd but cool > into DWD which i haven't gotten into yet.

the CDs are tracked really weird with different shows sharing space on the same discs but i think they just figure people are going to rip them to mp3 and no biggie (and of course that it saved probably a disc or two extra in the set)
"I'm not making this up..."
TanasRoot

Postby GratefulPhish » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:25 am

These have always been some of my favorite shows, this shit sounds AWESOME :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
rather be on tour..
GratefulPhish

Postby Harpua » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:36 pm

TanasRoot wrote:anyone else get theirs today?

i really like the sound... the band sounds sharp and energized and you can definitely feel the vibe of the room.

the Soul Shakedown debut sounds actually the best played i've heard... maybe its Page on the piano instead of the hammond that makes the magic. Divided Sky absolutely rips... i don't think anything "special" but its pure hose.

The sound quality is amazing!

I have only listened to about 45 minutes of the first disc ( my morning commute) but they are VERY Sharp. They flawlessly blazed through Divided Sky and Guyute.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby TanasRoot » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:16 pm

Harpua wrote:The sound quality is amazing!

I have only listened to about 45 minutes of the first disc ( my morning commute) but they are VERY Sharp. They flawlessly blazed through Divided Sky and Guyute.

yeah the Wilson has some funny business where the audience chanting in the wrong place throws Trey to the end lyric, but yeah they are kicking it out. Guyute has lots of turns and trills from Trey at the end so he's feeling it ;)
TanasRoot

Postby Harpua » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:58 pm

Oh... my ...God! That Cities. Trey did what he could to drive it into the ground (skipping a verse, butchering another, and a hellish rendition of When the Saints go Marching in), but it still is one of the greatest jams I have ever heard.
~4~
Harpua
Fat Sweaty Bulldog

Postby piper » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:55 pm

Mmm, I really liked that Limb by Limb.
piper

Postby goldenroad » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:57 am

^ Just came in here to post that. Maybe just logged in the first time in forever, just to post that. I love hearing these earlier versions of SOTG songs.
goldenroad
Undercover Wook

Postby AsianGirl » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:50 pm

I've gotta say, that 97-98 stretch has been one of my favorite eras of teh Phish.

Personally, lucky to have caught a bunch of shows in 97, including the epic Great Went, the stellar Fall Tour, and the MSG New Year's Run. 1998 started off with the Island Tour, more LImestone , Fall Tour and MSG. Those two years have been some of the best musical experiences ever, and any shows they would like to release from that era will ALWAYS be warmly received.
*Everything from now on is all Gravy*
AsianGirl

Postby piper » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:05 pm

Yes. Fall 97 to Summer 98 was where it was at.
piper

Postby goldenroad » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:13 am

Pretty much every time I'm listening to Phish, Erin's all like, "what, is this '97?", and I'd say, that like 50% of the time she's right.
goldenroad
Undercover Wook

Postby TanasRoot » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:18 pm

WEEKAFONK
TanasRoot

Return to Live Phish