PHiSH On Vinyl

Discuss the Phish studio output.

Re: PHiSH On Vinyl

Postby Velvetseaforme » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:54 pm

I'm stoked about collecting all the Phish on vinyl that I can :) It will be sweet when Rift comes out.. Ive got to get at least 3 of those... Can't I live while i'm young?
Velvetseaforme

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby delayloop » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:14 pm

Just got "Joy" in the mail from Phish Dry Goods. While it's not my favorite album of theirs, it was for sale and why not? Dry Goods used to have the White Tape and Party Time, but no longer. :(

I put in side "c" first which is Time Turns Elastic and Twenty Years Later. It sounded fantastic. TTE is really the only song I think they got right in the studio, but maybe that's because the live versions of all the other ones rock. I feel like the album as a whole is a bit flat and uninspired. But that's for another thread.

I'm really excited about the next few years of vinyl releases. Perhaps they'll breathe new life into listening to studio albums in one sitting :)
Southern Phish
delayloop

Postby nugfin » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:42 pm

Below is a response from Welker on FB regarding his Rift cover art:

Thanks for the comments guys & gals. Phish bought the original painting back in 1996 and as far as I know it's still in the conference room of their Vermont headquarters. The limited editions are all gone and I although I wish everyone could have one I think it's important to uphold the general rules of engagement for "limited editions" and keep it to one run. I know Phish is about to go vinyl with the album so we'll see if there is some chance to do something else with the imagery or at least make sure the printing is as perfect as possible. -cheers!
I'm not good with numbers I just count on knowing when I'm high enough
nugfin

Postby hosemasterflex » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:53 pm

I wonder if side four will be blank. I'm sure I've got an analysis around here someplace, cuz i know I've already thought about this, and concluded side four's gotta have tunes, logistically.

Even though I knew it was coming, it's exciting to hear. Hope the labels look better than the disc art of the CD. Sometimes I wish I had that puzzle they made.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby Brother » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:07 pm

Can't wait, gotta catch em all! I like the songs on Rift more than the songs on Billy Breathes, but I like listening to Billy Breathes as an album more than I like listening to Rift as an album, so I'm more excited for that release.

Anyone want to sell me their extra Junta packaging that they have lying around the house? My LPs are fine, but the casing is warped from a flood. :(
Brother

Postby hosemasterflex » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:43 pm

^that sucks dude. I hope you find someone on ebay giving away their Junta packaging on the cheap because their records were melted or somethin.

Let's go Rift, we're waitin' here. :arrow:

Hey, know what's cool, is that all three 3.0 albums got issued on vinyl in the first place. Man, the nineties is like the dark ages for vinyl.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby nugfin » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:03 pm

hosemasterflex wrote:Let's go Rift, we're waitin' here. :arrow:

Yeah, it's probably happening this year.

If Watkins happens I can see a release there much like they did with Nectar.

Maybe Welker will do a limited print 'ala' Junta Pollock.... :eh:
nugfin

Postby nugfin » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:25 am

nugfin

Postby willbreathes » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:12 pm

1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby henrietta » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:14 pm

WOOT WOOT Finally we get some live Phish on vinyl. :clap: :clap: :clap:
henrietta

Postby hosemasterflex » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:35 pm

I was just thinking the other day about how there's no live Phish vinyl. I can't complain about this. Maybe I'd prefer to see A Live One first .. but nah, not really. Confession, I've never listened to this show, so, bonus for me.

I saw the Side K pic above, and just assumed dude was you know, drunk posting or something.

Saving my money. This one should be costly.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby hosemasterflex » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:50 am

The Story of the Ghost side A

Ghost
Birds of a Feather
Meat
Guyute
Fikus
Shafty
Limb By Limb

hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby hosemasterflex » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:03 am

nugfin wrote:
hosemasterflex wrote:Let's go Rift, we're waitin' here. :arrow:

Yeah, it's probably happening this year.

If Watkins happens I can see a release there much like they did with Nectar.

Maybe Welker will do a limited print 'ala' Junta Pollock.... :eh:

Truth! :thumbup:
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby henrietta » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:11 pm

Go get it......just grabbed a blue version!

http://drygoods.phish.com/Dept.aspx?cp=773_73093#
henrietta

Postby hosemasterflex » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:13 am

Rift color vinyl is pretty impressive. Expensive too, $70 USD - but impressive.

Speaking of expensive, know what's *not* TOO expensive, is they're selling a 3LP Junta vinyl for $50 right now, that's when you go get that shit. I think it originally retailed for more than that; the Pollack edition was like $74.99 and I think the standard-er one was like $60 or somethin.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby henrietta » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:49 pm

^The new Junta is the 3rd pressing. That is why it is so cheap.
henrietta

Postby hosemasterflex » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:42 am

^ah, okay. I wonder if they'll ever shove it all onto just two records. I kinda wish they had, regardless of the slight fidelity loss thing. I'm sure I wouldn't have noticed. In fact I'm happier w/my original Lawn Boy, I can't see that being a legit double album, that one. Even the 3.0 albums should probably be one record.

Anyway, here's Lawn Boy pictures of the original edition.

One cool thing I noticed recently - the bands on side A very closely resemble those on side B. Sometimes on a record, you know which side's which by the size of the bands of songs, rather than by reading the small print on the label. But Lawn Boy at a glance, both sides look the same. Oh Kee Pa Ceremony > Bathtub Gin together are roughly the same size band as Squirming Coil, then Reba & Antelope are comparable ... Lawn Boy and My Sweet One look the same except Lawn Boy is obviously quieter just lookin' at the grooves, and then that leaves Split & Bouncing which are similar-looking as well. It's kinda cool for some reason.

hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby willbreathes » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:01 pm

1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby nugfin » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:40 pm

^Saw that...interesting choice. Definitely will pick this up, but I'll wait and see what extra goodies, if any, are offered thru dry goods.
nugfin

Postby hosemasterflex » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:18 pm

I wish Hoist would be a single disc vinyl release but I'm afraid we'll see it across three sides.

I'm glad they didn't release a 'deluxe' "The Siket Discs" with a side 4 etching.

Still looking forward to:
Hoist
Billy Breathes
Round Room
Undermind

Everything else has been pressed, right? Maybe deluxe JEMP pressings of Story of the Ghost & Farmhouse are coming. I'd love it if they put out A Live One.

And of course I wouldn't mind if they unveiled a secret studio Gamehenge album on a nice piece of vinyl.

::imagines::
A:
TMWSIY
The Lizards
Tela
Wilson
AC/DC Bag
B:
Colonel Forbin's Ascent
Fly Famous Mockingbird
The Sloth
McGrupp & The Watchful Hosemasters
TMWSIY

So they could release that; that'd be fine.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby Phinst » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:35 am

...Dip a ladle for a taste of her creation...& she knew that what she made...
would be the Finest in the Nation....

2016: Xcel Energy Ctr>Wrigley Phield(1), Deer Creek//Nashville(1)>
Alpharettax2
Phinst

TWEEZER "SKIP"

Postby hosemasterflex » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:49 pm

So awesome, I want that pink and orange colored edition please Santa thanks.

Tweezer skip? Anyone? Listening to my mp3s on shuffle and Tweezer comes on, from teh remaster mp3 download I got w/the record, and discovered that my record doesn't skip afterall. The fuckin' remaster is defective, lol! Listen for it at 7:53.

I don't know anything about vinyl mastering, I wonder what's up with this. It's not *terribly* obvious, yet I can't be the first one to notice this, can I?
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby hosemasterflex » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:26 am

Okay I'm going to pick up Hoist tomorrow, with the usual "Shit I hope they have it" routine I go thru on Record Store Day. I've heard horror stories, and I've come REAL close (last year there were exactly two copies of the Clutch record my friend and I both wanted) ... but I usually get what I'm lookin for.

Phish vinyl review, on Record Store Day Eve:

The White Tape

This LP is a badass mofo IMO. I really didn't like it, in a way, when I first had some 5th generation cassette of it. But then the CD came out in the 90s, and the sound was so much better, that I kinda decided I enjoyed it "for what it was". But this LP is great. All pros, no cons. White vinyl is a great touch. The way side A and B break up, and the bands make it evident what track you're hearing and how long you have to endure its madness :lol: Throw in the shiny silver to offset the white, and I'm tellin ya, it's the best possible way - the only way - to fully enjoy this particular album.

Junta
I'd waited years in hopes there'd someday be a Junta vinyl, and lo. This thing is so super deluxe too, it's kinda silly how awesome it is in that regard. Triple gatefold, triple record, custom labels, heavy duty black inner sleeves (I think most of the JEMP releases have those?), embossed 3D-ish cover art.

I had always envisioned Junta as a double record w/Dinner & A Movie closing the first record, like how it ends side A of the cassette. The triple record layout is a little weird to me, but maybe it's worth whatever fidelity is saved? I don't know, seems to me they could throw it on two records, but then I kinda have the same angle on the Lawn Boy and Hoist vinyl layouts. The etching on Junta side six is admittedly great. Extended Contact is good too. The track layout on record two's kinda wacked. C: Dinner And A Movie/Divided Sky D: David Bowie
:?

Anyway, aside from the weird five sided-ness, which might be just fine anyway, this thing is just crazy, one of my favorite vinyl pieces ever.

Lawn Boy
I didn't get the JEMP one cuz I spin me an original two-sided single vinyl edition, which is pretty great. Sometimes I think Lawn Boy might be the best album they ever did. Sometimes I want the new double vinyl JEMP records edition too. But then I'm totally happy with the two sided one. Maybe the remaster sounds even better, but what I got sounds pretty sweet. I really like how side A and B of the original record look the same, as I blabbed about in an earlier post.

A Picture Of Nectar
This one's got a great track layout, love how each of the four sides are split up. It really needs to be a double record, so it's totally merited. I'm glad Landlady ends the first record, and that Stash stars side 2. Poor Heart makes a great side A closer.

Sound quality of this thing is out of this world. The high end gets a little chunky in places, a little distorted or something, but maybe it's my system I dunno.

The Tweezer "skip" is a little bit unforgiveable, I don't know why I haven't found anyone else who seems to know about that.

The cover art source appears to be low res, so that's kind of a minus. I read somebody complain that they'd have preferred it didn't have the "PHISH" across the front cover, since original CD pressings didn't have that ... I sort of agree. Sometimes I wish the plain orange (sans Nectar photo overlay) was the record label (like the CD). Or like, two of the four were the orange maybe. So this is the only one so far where I kind of feel like the artwork is a little disappointing. But I will say that the disappointment is slight.

And hey, I love the big fat glass of milk pic in the gatefold. It's Nectar on vinyl, don't get me wrong, it's a sweet unit. Ultimately I'm happy with it. Not as nice as Junta or Rift, but still quite a nice record for sure.

Tweezer skip is the only real complaint ... I bet they didn't know about it, it's during that chaotic slowdown at the end of the song. I assume it's on everyone's pressing since it's also on my mp3 download. Anyone hear that?

Rift
What a sweet piece of vinyl this thing is. I got the colored one, was totally worth all the trouble someone else went thru on my behalf (thx PYK), lol. It's kind of a dark grey/green color that's somehow not quite a match but not a clash either ... but it's cool looking, so it's a win.

The sound is incredible. The Rift and Nectar albums have a little more of a 'processed' sound I think; Junta and Lawn Boy are more organic. But on the records it all sounds a little less processed somehow. I don't know why that is. I'm not convinced it's not an illusion that records seem to sound better or more legit. But I still enjoy the perceived difference. Everything's bigger. The tracks are *visible*. It's broken into album sides.

I love how it sounds to have the music stop at the end of Maze, in the same way that Poor Heart closes the side well. Leads me to my only complaint about this release: I wish they'd let MyF start the second half, like the cassette release did. I got real used to the idea that the first half ended at Wedge. But aside from my being attached to the idea, I find the segue between MyF and Weigh to be the more important one to preserve. I'm assuming the reason for My Friend My Friend to close side B is to preserve it's crossfade from the Wedge, but isn't the suspensed chanting into the abrupt laugh into the plucky opening arpeggios of Weigh a more important sequence of noises?

Anyweigh that's not too bad of a thing ultimately. The labels look great. As I said, the colored vinyl is very nice. The extra art that comes with this is insanely cool, it's like a blacklight type of deal I imagine ... flourescent lite blue almost. So detailed and fun to look at. The main cover art and insert, and the gatefold, are all top quality, just perfect. I just noticed tonight that the INSIDE of the cardboard is actually dark blue.

"That does it" I said to myself, "I'm writing a lengthy post about the Phish records tonight."

Hoist
Well this puppy comes out tomorrow, we'll see! I seem to remember this album as a single record length album, so it's weird knowing they've made a double album out of it. Hope to score the colored orange/pink splatter edition. I am smelling a theme here with the short album sides, preserving fidelity as a priority over album side flow sensibilities. Side B Lifeboy/Sample, I understand. That's weird dudes.

Billy Breathes
Still lukewarm on this album after all these years. 20 of em. Maybe I'm the one who's still upside down, hahaha. I'll call the side layout of this eventual release (Fall 2016 RSD??): Side A: Free/Chz0/Waste B: Taste/CTB/Talk C: Theme/Train/Bliss D: Billy/SweptAway/Steep/Caspian

Story of the Ghost
I'm lucky to have nabbed the Elektra one, it's nice. Torn about whether to buy some two record edition JEMP will hopefully release eventually.

Farmhouse
I'm lucky to have nabbed the Elektra one, it's nice. Torn about whether to buy some two record edition JEMP will hopefully release eventually.

Siket Disc
This thing is a badass of a record. I'll be spinning this one again soon. I like that the vinyl edition helps me focus on the individual tracks, you know cuz you can look right at 'em. This record came out very nice. From the matte finish on the cover, to the gatefold pics, to the heavy duty record with the stylish labels, I have zero complaints about this one.

Round Room
Undermind

Here's to future vinyl excitement! Maybe Round Room will be a triple record, lol..

Joy
Sharp piece of vinyl. I'm fond of the artwork, the layout, the labels. Record two is kinda cool how it relegates TTE & 20 Yrs Later to this no mans land second record that you have to put on, on purpose! I feel like it's helpful somehow, in digesting the Joy material. Some of those tunes are gold, others you need to kinda ... be ready for!

Party Time
Similar to Joy, I find this album has like two or three songs that I really have to be intentional about embracing. But the vinyl is truly killer. Again, having it on this format is truly worth all that my (other) friend went thru to obtain it for me (thx clevername). Having it broken down into four sides is helpful for ease of digestion. The layout is a little bit awkward because some of the worst songs open album sides, IMO. But overall I really dig Party Time. It's strong moments are fuckin' great. I doubt I'd appreciate it as much without the record.

Fuego
Orange vinyl awwww yeaaaahhh. I think my needle has trouble with this one sometimes, like the record's made of unusual material or has gunk in the grooves ... but it's a record I've spun a bunch, very nice packaging. Blank side four is like whatever, I guess you like your weird vinyl layouts Phish. I dig this album mostly, kind of cold on some songs, but love the rest of it.

MSG 12/31/95
I'm starting to want this finally, now that the sticker shock has been absorbed. I'm in no hurry certainly. But I bet I'd love it.

Two Soundchecks
Wish I'd nabbed this @ face. Don't have this either.

Alright, that's that. What'd I forget. When's A Live One comin out. I'll buy it I swear ta gahd
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby hosemasterflex » Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:27 am

Thing's sweet. No issues with this one. Personally would have chosen to open side B w/Riker's Mailbox. But you know, winners can't be losers, that'd be fucked up.

hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby y0n » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:02 am

hosemasterflex wrote:Thing's sweet. No issues with this one. Personally would have chosen to open side B w/Riker's Mailbox. But you know, winners can't be losers, that'd be fucked up.

Nice!
y0n

PreviousNext

Return to Album Discussion