PHiSH On Vinyl

Discuss the Phish studio output.

Re: PHiSH On Vinyl

Postby delayloop » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:09 pm

Yep, so I guess Nectar's is up next yet in the RSD release then, huh?

Don't get me wrong, I'm going to get all of these as they come out, but if I could skip over Nectar and Hoist, I would. As albums that I actually put in and listen to, or could see myself listening to in one sitting on vinyl, most anything past Billy Breathes is a winner (and of course Rift).
Southern Phish
delayloop

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby hosemasterflex » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:17 pm

Wow, really? Nectar is one of my favorite albums of theirs.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby delayloop » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:30 pm

hosemasterflex wrote:Wow, really? Nectar is one of my favorite albums of theirs.

I do love it, but has less of a complete album feel than some of the others. It's more of a conglomeration of styles and lots of different types of music, although it does capture some really forward-thinking playing and that early 90's Phish go-get-'em attitude.
Southern Phish
delayloop

Postby hosemasterflex » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:19 pm

I just see it as mostly brilliant songs. For my money, the original Phish compositions in the early days rival ANY other big famous band's output, Beatles, Zeppelin, The Who, The Dead. It helps that I enjoy a heavy dose of weird quirkiness.

It's such an important album to me, to my experience anyway, that it feels criminal that it's still not seen a vinyl release. [That, and Rift.]

I've always enjoyed the variety on Nectar, and I might even say it holds together great as an album perhaps because of that, rather than despite it. When it was released I definitely regarded it as their best album to date (there were only three, I know, but still), and for a long time I preferred it to Rift. Actually I still see those two as very close in quality, yet opposites in atmosphere.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby nugfin » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:37 pm

Saw this on FB...wonder what it will be?????

The Freezer returns to Randall's Island on July 11, 12 and 13! In addition, it will play host to the JEMP Records Store. On Friday & Saturday, JEMP Records will be unleashing a new Phish vinyl release to the public, which will be available for the first time exclusively at Randall's Island. We'll announce details shortly!
I'm not good with numbers I just count on knowing when I'm high enough
nugfin

Postby hosemasterflex » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:39 pm

Oh God. I've been on the fence about the Randall's show. Please let it be that I've won the Fuego preorder contest and can choose that show w/my free ticket, and use that money instead on this mysterious vinyl.

I'm betting it's Three Soundchecks, on double 7" vinyl with a blank side 4.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby delayloop » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:06 pm

hosemasterflex wrote:I'm betting it's Three Soundchecks, on double 7" vinyl with a blank side 4.

The blank side fours irritate me so much. I know it costs more, but why can't they just fill that side with something special just for the vinyl enthusiasts?
Southern Phish
delayloop

Postby henrietta » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:40 pm

hosemasterflex wrote:Oh God. I've been on the fence about the Randall's show. Please let it be that I've won the Fuego preorder contest and can choose that show w/my free ticket, and use that money instead on this mysterious vinyl.

I'm betting it's Three Soundchecks, on double 7" vinyl with a blank side 4.

It will be available 2 weeks later on Dry Goods. ;)
Last edited by henrietta on Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
henrietta

Postby hosemasterflex » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:10 pm

^But aren't I supposed to fall for the marketing ploy to get me to attend the show?!

^^Totally agree with that, it's mostly weird and not that great of a thing to have a blank side. I have a couple other records from other artists with a blank side. I should really stack them all on the record player and listen to them all in a row.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby nugfin » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:52 pm

On July 11 & 12, The Freezer at Randall’s Island will play host to the JEMP Record Store. We’re excited to announce that Phish will release A Picture Of Nectar, the band’s third full-length studio album, as a Limited Edition Deluxe 2-LP vinyl set, available exclusively for the first time at the JEMP Records Store at Randall’s Island. The LE Deluxe 2-LP vinyl set is limited to 7,500 individually foil stamped, numbered copies; 2,500 of which will be available at Randall’s (the remaining quantities will be available in stores at at Phish Dry Goods at a later date, so fans at Randall’s will get the first crack at the release months in advance). This will be the first time A Picture of Nectar has been pressed on vinyl.
A Picture of Nectar was recorded in 1991 at White Crow Studios in Burlington, Vermont on 24-track 2″ tape and mixed to 1/2″ stereo reels. This was the band’s major label debut and the start of a long relationship with Elektra. It was also their tribute to Nectar Rorris, owner of Nectar’s in Burlington, where Phish played many multiple night stands in the 1980′s that in their words “taught us how to play.”
Like Junta and Lawn Boy, Phish self-produced A Picture of Nectar “with a lot of help from” Engineer Kevin Halpin. The material displayed the growing extent and diversity of Phish’s talents honed throughout eight years of rehearsals and hundreds of live shows. Twenty two years later, nearly every song on A Picture of Nectar is still in live rotation today.
A Picture of Nectar was mastered by Bob Ludwig and released by Elektra February 18, 1992 on CD and cassette. The album went on to be certified Gold. In 2014, Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman Mastering cut the lacquers from the original stereo master reels for the vinyl edition. Each LP is pressed onto 180g audiophile grade vinyl and includes a free MP3 download of the album (transferred from the vinyl master).
We’ll be announcing additional details about picking up the release at Randall’s Island this week. There will be a merchandise check on site, so that you don't have to haul around your records all day.
I'm not good with numbers I just count on knowing when I'm high enough
nugfin

Postby henrietta » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:59 pm

WOOT WOOT................. :clap: :D :thumbup:
henrietta

Postby hosemasterflex » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:23 pm

Questions: Does Stash close side 1 or open side 2, and what sandwich are they ordering for Page in the glass of milk picture?!

hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby hosemasterflex » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:29 pm

The record looks pretty awesome and plays even better. Stash opens side two. Second record opens w/Glide, side four starts w/Chalkdust.

Record label is the same on all four sides, and is the stretched out blue-on-black picture of Nectar Rorris.

The gatefold has the picture of the band at a bar or deli or something, framed in the big glass of milk, taking up the whole left panel. Opposite, on the right panel, is the big picture of the orange, with the lyrics across it. Inner sleeves are black with the plastic window at the label, like the other JEMP releases (I think ... I know Junta's are like that) ...

The front cover has the PHISH, A PICTURE OF NECTAR right on it ... I'd wondered, since the original CD had it on the long box, but not on the booklet. I kinda didn't want it on there, but it's embossed, so I was like alright.

Interestingly the art is obviously blown up bigger - you can tell the resolution is lower than ideal, so that sorta shows. But it isn't too bad.

The sticker on the wrapper says it's the "deluxe edition", but I can't really see what's so deluxe about it. I can't see 'em releasing a single disc edition. Maybe future vinyl issues won't have the embossed lettering or the gatefold ... on the inside there's additional extra glossy paper like the one inside Fuego, that has credits on it and more oranges and long blue Nectar faces. Maybe they'll cheapen that layout up on future non-deluxe editions? Mine has an individual gold stamped number on the back, so there's that, I guess.

Weird thing was the way I bought it from this cash-only table, from this kinda punky young guy - he was fine, just struck me as so unofficial, like I was buying it in the lot rather than from the band. No receipt. No signs. Cash only. Just a plain wooden table that a lady pointed me to, as to save me from the long line to the "Freezer" at Randall's. And just this young kid in shades with his cap on backwards, kickin back on a chair, with nothin but a cardboard box full of the album, and a wad of cash I guess.

I said "I'd like a Picture of Nectar please."

"Fifty bucks." he goes.

Was a little surreal.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby Velvetseaforme » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:31 pm

I am a long time Phan and have started late but quickly amassed a near complete set of phish on vinyl. I think the high prices make sense in the context of other phish collectables like posters and ticket stubs. I was an early pollock poster collector but ignored vinyl until early this year. I see these as a long term investment as well as a fun collecting focus. Can't wait for Rift and hoist.

I've been wading in the......
Velvetseaforme

Postby hosemasterflex » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:33 pm

Good work! Curious about what you're missing. There are a few solo project pieces I haven't got, and I don't have Two Soundchecks .. but I think I got all the rest. Welcome to the OKP!
:wave:
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby Velvetseaforme » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:50 pm

Yeah no two sound checks , oysterhead , and some of the other solos or a first print of Lawn boy.
I'll continue to look out for those I'm going to look for multiples of the newer released ones too. I've been to so many epic shows I hope they start to release more live lps 11-29-1997 at Worcester would be a good example of a wish release for me. What an epic Bowie.
Velvetseaforme

Postby Brother » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:13 pm

I bought Junta on record store day last year. I've always loved Divided Sky but listening to it so crisp and clear with enough space for all the instruments really picked me up and launched me. Jon Fishman. :wtf:

I wonder who gets off more on the other's playing...Fishman or Trey.

My next vinyl purchase...probably picture of nectar or lawn boy. I would really love Billy Breathe's because it's such a nice album to listen to in its entirety. I don't often listen to whole Phish albums except BB and SotG. Maybe Rift, if I'm in the car.

UPDATE: Pre-ordered Picture of Nectar
Brother

Postby delayloop » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:44 pm

So why is Picture of nectar $50??? Did we pay that much for the others? Got DAMN that's a lotta money.
Southern Phish
delayloop

Postby hosemasterflex » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:58 pm

It's a little much, I agree. I forked it right over though, tell you whut.

I think Lawn Boy was that much. Junta was I think 75.99 or something. There was a different price depending if you got the "Pollack edition", I don't remember the breakdown. They're limited edition and deluxe too, supposedly. Although Nectar doesn't feel terribly deluxey.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby Brother » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:16 pm

$75.99 for Junta??? Gosh, mine was a steal in comparison. I didn't get any kind of special edition.
Brother

Postby henrietta » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:41 pm

Brother wrote:$75.99 for Junta??? Gosh, mine was a steal in comparison. I didn't get any kind of special edition.

My sealed Pollack goes for over 200 bucks now. My sealed 2 sound checks (bought for 7 bucks) goes for 100 bucks. Yes, I have them unsealed to listen to also.
henrietta

Postby hosemasterflex » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:00 pm

I opened mine right up and as I did so, wondered why Keith has more disposable income than I do.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby delayloop » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:36 pm

Anyone know the fuckers who are trying to sell Farmhouse and Story of the Ghost for hundreds of dollars on Ebay?

I mean, I know they are first editions, yada yada. But damn why not just open it up for auction? Can anyone help me understand the vinyl stinginess on Ebay?
Southern Phish
delayloop

Postby Velvetseaforme » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:07 am

I think the prices are due to Demand. They are limited and now many of us are seeking the full set. Perhaps it is a good thing for the potential future value outlook. I like the idea of a listen only set too.
Velvetseaforme

Postby delayloop » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:27 pm

I just get cranky when I see people trying to get that much money for records. To each his own, I guess.
Southern Phish
delayloop

PreviousNext

Return to Album Discussion