PHiSH On Vinyl

Discuss the Phish studio output.

Re: PHiSH On Vinyl

Postby ratherbephishin » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:32 am

I'll probably bite and grab this 2nd press. I normally just buy vinyl and spin it (as it should be) but I have not been able to bring myself to open that original White Tape so this would be a good option for me. Spin 2nd press leave OG sealed. :thumbup:
ratherbephishin

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby UB-40 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:04 pm

henrietta wrote:
UB-40 wrote:
Vultured wrote:Finally got my Junta Pollock edition. Now all I need is the Oysterhead LP and I can die happy. Man that Junta sounds fantastic. Quite possibly the best transfer I've ever heard. Real nice Clark.

My place had oysterhead on RSD, used and open for $99. I let it pass.

Can you go back and get it for me? :wave:

I was actually gonna go there today. Knowing this place, it's still there.
#∞
You are a person who is high class. You are a person not in my class.
UB-40

Postby ratherbephishin » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:09 am

Has anyone figured out any difference in markings between 1st press White Tape and this reissue on drygoods? I have both but didn't open my 1st press yet. I know the Cat # on the spine is the same but was curious as to if the runout stamp on the actual vinyl was different or not. Anyone?
ratherbephishin

Postby ratherbephishin » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:46 am

Ok, I just compared a 1st press White Tape to a 2nd press. The Catalog # on the spines match, the runout stamps for side 1 and 2 match. The only difference I see is on the back cover of the 1st press the years listed are 1986, 2011 and on the 2nd press the years listed are 1986, 2012. Also on the 2nd press below the dates it says Second Pressing. Appears the only difference between the two presses are a slight change in rear cover printing.
ratherbephishin

Postby ratherbephishin » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:48 am

Ok, I just compared a 1st press White Tape to a 2nd press. The Catalog # on the spines match, the runout stamps for side 1 and 2 match. The only difference I see is on the back cover of the 1st press the years listed are 1986, 2011 and on the 2nd press the years listed are 1986, 2012. Also on the 2nd press below the dates it says Second Pressing. Also UPC code differs. Appears the only difference between the two presses are a slight change in rear cover printing.
ratherbephishin

Postby ratherbephishin » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:37 pm

ratherbephishin wrote:Ok, I just compared a 1st press White Tape to a 2nd press. The Catalog # on the spines match, the runout stamps for side 1 and 2 match. The only difference I see is on the back cover of the 1st press the years listed are 1986, 2011 and on the 2nd press the years listed are 1986, 2012. Also on the 2nd press below the dates it says Second Pressing. Also UPC code differs. Appears the only difference between the two presses are a slight change in rear cover printing.

Just noticed that the inner label on the record notes Second Pressing as well. It seems like there is no difference musically however.
ratherbephishin

Postby the Sloth » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:19 pm

Oysterhead LP on ebay for $130....

I had to :silent:
the Sloth
Mr. Rip Van Winklin'

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby delayloop » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:43 pm

oh and PS

There are some goofy motherfuckers trying to sell the White Tape Vinyl on Ebay starting at $90. Seriously?

I admit I have a portsmouth Tshirt I'm trying to get rid of (I bought the wrong size) and I took it down when I saw that dry goods has those shirts for sale for $20.

Get with it folks!
Southern Phish
delayloop

Postby willbreathes » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:31 pm

White Tape vinyl is 20 bucks at Dry Goods.
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby themomadans » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:41 pm

hosemasterflex wrote:Oh God, here comes the Junta two-record edition. :roll:

Id be all over this. I personally think the third record is quite unnecessary. I saw an SE Junta record in a store about a week ago for $120!

I bought a second pressing of the White Tape at the stand after 7/3/12 for $20. Totally worth it. I really wanna buy the Moss remixes and maybe another record or two or three from Dry Goods.
Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is the best
themomadans

Postby delayloop » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:18 pm

^Exactly. $20 is fine with me!
And I'm ordering Moss from Dry Goods. Too many times have I seen vinyl for sale only for it to disappear later!

Case in point: I was visiting my sister recently and remembered that she has the Story of the Ghost on vinyl. I picked it up and played it and told her how jealous I was. I told her that they're going for over $150 on ebay.

She then reminded me that I had bought that for her as a gift years ago before I had a record player of my own.
Southern Phish
delayloop

Postby hosemasterflex » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:28 pm

I wonder if Lawn Boy's next up. And if so, I wonder if the original pressing will fetch less on ebay once there's a JEMP edition.

I can't imagine passing up the White Tape, especially now that I have it. That album is way better in the vinyl format, IMO. Plus it's a record, but you can refer to it as a tape, cuz it's the White Tape. Cool. Cool tapes.

hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby PardonMe Doug » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:13 pm

So I didn't know where else to post this and this here thread seems to be the only one dedicated (kinda) to vinyl. Since I was a kid I have loved listening to music on vinyl for the obvious reasons. My Dad had a decent turntable and a nice collection of classic rock records. One day he walked into my bedroom when I was listening to The Who on a CD (like, right after CD's started to be made) and he said "I have this album on vinyl, you should hear the difference". But, since I moved out of his house 12 years ago I haven't really listened to much vinyl other than drooling over some of my friends' vinyl systems.

But, when we moved into our new place two months ago there was this old turntable cabinet in the garage that the landlord wanted to throw out. I told him I wanted to see if I could get it working and he said go ahead and keep it if I wanted. Turned out it just needed some rewiring and to clean out some old mouse nest/debris, but I got it working last weekend. Whomever used it last left an old funk record from the 70's on it so I was able to test it out. I don't really know much about turntables, but I do know that the needle is all rusty so I don't want to use it until I can replace it. Hopefully it isn't hard to find one, but this thing is 50 years old :think:

I bought Junta when it was released on RSD for a buddy of mine, but he actually ended up scoring a copy himself. And then I moved the next week, packed it, and forgot about it. So, when I finally get everything replaced and working properly I shall reward myself by listening to Phish on vinyl for my first time ever. :thumbup:

She's a Curtis Mathes and from what I could find on the interwebs was made in the mid-late 60's:

PardonMe Doug

Postby nugfin » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:31 pm

^Holy shit, my parents had one just like that when I was a kid. :lol:

I used to put my moms Neil Diamond records on it and pretend I was Run DMC; I scratched the shit out of those fuckers :lol:

You should definitely not put anything nice on there till you get a new needle - and take a look and see what kinda condition the belt is in. From what I can remember the sound on those speakers wasn't too bad, considering how old those things are - probably 10"ers in there.

Nice find - refinish it and put some new fabric over the speakers it'll be a 'bute. A nice conversation piece as well. :thumbup:
I'm not good with numbers I just count on knowing when I'm high enough
nugfin

Postby the dooj » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:36 pm

Oh damn, those are the speakers, huh?

Kewl. 8-) Nice work, Doug.
"The good outnumber you, and we always will."
the dooj

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby PardonMe Doug » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:20 pm

It's actually got six speakers in it. Two lows that point down to the ground, then a tweeter and mid on each corner. It has an AM/FM tuner and I had that fucker cranked up the other day and it sounds amazing.

I wanted to make sure it would function before I started on the cosmetics. I'm definitely going to replace the fabric over the speakers because it's all curled and bent on the left side, but I'm kind of liking the vintage/faded wood finish look. For now at least...prob keep it like that for a while until I get the motivation for another small project then refinish it.

Went into one of the local record stores today that buys/sells vintage stereo equipment and they ordered me a new needle. Should be in by Wednesday :thumbup:

In terms of the belt, am I risking any further damage if I use it until the belt completely wears out/breaks or is okay to just use it until then?
PardonMe Doug

Postby nugfin » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:25 am

PardonMe Doug wrote:In terms of the belt, am I risking any further damage if I use it until the belt completely wears out/breaks or is okay to just use it until then?

I doubt there would be damage if it breaks. Some nuts will tell you to replace every 2 years but I'd say you're good with every 5. They're not that expensive, just rubber and they obviously stretch out and deteriorate over time thus affecting the quality of the sound.

With a belt the age of yours Robert Plant is gonna sound like Tom Waits :lol:
nugfin

Postby hosemasterflex » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:21 am

I don't think you damage records by spinning them at the wrong speed or with a bum belt. Good find Doug, had one in my home growing up too.

Is there a storage compartment for records? Pretty sure I raided that sucker for important records that would influence my life forever - The Monkees, Beatles, Cosby, all spinning on the crappy kid's record player down the hall at like age 4. Those giant record player cabinets are really an amazing thing. The world has changed I think.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby PardonMe Doug » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:03 am

Can anybody here help me troubleshoot? I got a new needle, but the records (even brand new ones) are skipping. I have no idea where to start and don't want to fuck anything up. The whole thing seems pretty delicate.

One of the speakers is blown, which is a bummer, but I must say...even with the skips and the blown speaker, YEM on vinyl is one of the greatest things I've ever heard. Holy awesome.
PardonMe Doug

Postby hosemasterflex » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:04 am

^amen right there on the vinyl YEM

I'd say if you got a dial on the back o the arm; mess w/that a bit ... it's probably set too sensitive, best case scenario.

Worst case scenario, your turntable is like that Zool fridge from Ghostbusters and we're ALL fucked.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby nugfin » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:25 pm

Had to get it to continue my collection:

http://drygoods.phish.com/Product.aspx? ... &pc=T5LP05
nugfin

Postby ratherbephishin » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:04 pm

It's that time of year again!

Just saw this on this RSD list

*NEW* PHISH LAWN BOY (Individually numbered pressing, out of 7500 copies, with 2 180g LPs with an etched D side....includes download card)

http://new-vinyl.blogspot.com/2013/01/r ... -2013.html

:shock: :shock: :shock:
ratherbephishin

Postby hosemasterflex » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:41 am

hosemasterflex wrote:I wonder if Lawn Boy's next up.

I didn't see the double record coming. I have the original vinyl Lawn Boy; I think I can resist this. Ooh, though; right??! Sh!t.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby hosemasterflex » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:51 am

So are we gonna get etched sides on everything now or what? I mean, cuz I think I'd be surprised if'n Rift ain't just a straight up quadrilateral double reckid. It'd be too tight for three sides.

Nectar too, both albums are too short for five sides & too long for three.

Hoist they could chop all up into three sides I suppose. Right? Julius|DWD|If I Could, Riker|Axilla II|Lifeboy|Sample, Wolfman|Scent|Dog Faced Boy|Demand, |Etchery|

... this is the type of sh!t occupies my mind most of the time.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby hosemasterflex » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:27 am

I was distracted while driving today, trying to map out, in my head, what a 3 sided Nectar would be like.

By the way, ebay's got a vinyl Junta going for $48.36, "Buy it Now" option.
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

PreviousNext

Return to Album Discussion