A Live One

Discuss the Phish studio output.

A Live One

Postby phish311420 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:23 pm

This was my first phish.
I still think its one of the best albums ever=)
phish311420

Blog: View Blog (2)

A Live One

Postby duckbutter » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:49 pm

tenniru wrote:A Live One was my first Phish album. I got it from the local library and was immediately blown away by the wonderful guitar work (previously my only taste of jamming or anything over six minutes was early psychedelic-blues Pink Floyd, so Phish's psychedelic-jazz style was entirely new for me). I distinctly remember listening to it while it was raining outside: the distinctive bass intro of Bouncing immediately had me hooked.
For quite a while, that version of Simple was my favorite Phish song (before being replaced by that Bouncing, and then that Gumbo). This album is still one of the greatest live records in history, being one of the only ones to really make an album sound "live" without making it sound either like an audience recording or like a studio recording with too much reverb.

It still has my favorite YEM (although it's vocal freakout section pales in comparison to the Halloween '96 take), Stash, Simple, and Wilson. I still don't understand why they put Montana in there (Llama, Cavern, or Fee would've made much more sense and still have fit).

whats funny is the way the montana goes into the yem was always what hooked me. When I first heard it I thought it sounded like part of the composition. I love that part so much.

Harry hood is my fav song (for the moment) and the one on that abum is atleast top three. The jam towards the end is so beautiful and everything that hood should be. To me that hood is the perfect length not too much and not too little and the way it goes into the "you can feel good" conclusion is perfect.
Where some versions are too noodley and can kind of meander and SOMETIMES take away from the up and down dynamics of it. Honestly as good as I think the lemonwheel hood is I think the alo version is more effective and epically arranged.
duckbutter

Blog: View Blog (0)

A Live One

Postby rage » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:46 am

My first live Phish exposure was "A Live One" right after it came out.

Until a week ago, I always thought that this was the best show anyone could have seen. I had no idea it was a compilation album. I almost feel duped.

Best piano solo for Squirming Coil ever though. I too blast that one the way home on a late night all the while anxiously anticipating that final super low ending note followed by a most glorious roar from the audience.
rage

A Live One

Postby Highway_Bill » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:29 pm

Ghost_2000 wrote:
The Hood on ALO is my favorite, the best I've heard so far.

It's pretty good.
Try the Lemonwheel version, or even HCA for versions that rival its tastiness. There are even some post-hiatus versions that go above and beyond the normal "Hood"-jamming.

yes! Lemonwheel Hood is probably my fav version.
WAZUP MA SHNIGGYS!
Highway_Bill
Good

A Live One

Postby lysasome » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:32 pm

ALO YEM ws the first phish song i heard and it is what got me hooked on phish. i also think the ALO hood is the best one i've heard
#8675309. do the dew.
lysasome

A Live One

Postby ghost_2000 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:34 pm

rage wrote:My first live Phish exposure was "A Live One" right after it came out.

Until a week ago, I always thought that this was the best show anyone could have seen. I had no idea it was a compilation album. I almost feel duped.

Wait...so you went almost 14 years thinking ALO was a complete Phish show?
My room is round when I lay down, when I wake up it's square.
ghost_2000
The Apparition

A Live One

Postby ghost_2000 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:35 pm

On top of that, you were about 5 when you first heard ALO?

I am cornfused.
My room is round when I lay down, when I wake up it's square.
ghost_2000
The Apparition

A Live One

Postby Highway_Bill » Sun May 10, 2009 11:56 pm

You'll never get out of this Maize
WAZUP MA SHNIGGYS!
Highway_Bill
Good

A Live One

Postby S. Hill 88 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:00 pm

this might be my favorite Slave ever, it was played on my 6th birthday :P, and Trey hits such cathartic high notes at the climax it just oozes emotion. Love it!
PHISH2010BRAH: 6/17 Hartford > 6/18 Hartford > 6/19 SPAC > 6/20 SPAC, 6/22 Great Woods

"The strength of their return, on a strictly musical level, is criminally understated."
-HoseMasterFlex
S. Hill 88

Blog: View Blog (3)

A Live One

Postby rage » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:41 pm

Ghost_2000 wrote:On top of that, you were about 5 when you first heard ALO?

I am cornfused.

Ha!! I keep having to answer to this. I've been unable to correct my birthdate on my profile. I'm 29 and not 19.
rage

A Live One

Postby rage » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:42 pm

Ghost_2000 wrote:
rage wrote:My first live Phish exposure was "A Live One" right after it came out.

Wait...so you went almost 14 years thinking ALO was a complete Phish show?

And yes... I did go that long thinking it was a single show. Would have been a pretty rad show though huh??
rage

A Live One

Postby zephish » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:22 pm

UseOfLight wrote:
I think gorgeous, well-played "Hoods" can be placed in the same category as "Reba," "Slave to the Traffic Light," and "The Curtain With" as Songs That Have the Potential to Make Me Cry

It's funny you say this man as this is one of the few tunes i've shed a tear listening to.

Indeed!!!
When Trey hits that note in the jam and holds it for a bit and then continues, his guitar sounding like a trumpet and the whole band is chugging like freight train.
How can you not shed at least one? :'(
~ No one will be admitted during the last 10 minutes due to the incredible ending! ~
zephish

Re: A Live One

Postby fone » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:27 pm

I actually owe so much to ALO, and to a phan named Jamie, for jumpstarting a stalled interest in Phish in 1995. Had purchased PON a few years earlier, but dismissed the band as not what I was looking for.

Heard BATR from ALO on the radio, and it encouraged me to buy the album. Didn't "get" much of the album until I heard the Hood. I got so into the Hood, that that was all I played for a week or more. It was like I was a junkie, injecting that performance into my veins. I was definitely hooked.

If BATR beckoned me from the window to come in, and that Hood met me at the door and carried me through, the first song I connected to once inside was the YEM. From then on I was absorbing music at such an incredible speed and volume, like drinking from a veritable firehose. I was buying every available song the band had released because I was yet even remotely aware of what was introduced to me as "boots" from the shows.

That introduction came as what I would later learn were these random acts of kindness by Phish fans to connect with one another, and to promulgate the love for the music ,and the band, by making copies of the show tapes. It came as a complete surprise from Marie, who came home from work one day and handed me two cassettes marked Phish 4/21/90, Ft. Collins, CO, sets 1 and 2. She explained that she was talking with one of her co-workers at the office about my obsessive behavior over Phish music, and her friend commisserated with her because her son was a fan too. Marie said the next day the co-worker gave her the tapes for me.

All I knew was his first name was Jamie, and I scribbled a heartfelt note of thanks because I was completely impressed with his random generosity, the first of many such incredible connections that I would have with so many total strangers over Phish's music. I was likewise taken by the emotional levels of understanding that I experience when I listen to these performances, and how they are pretty much recognized and felt by all of us. And connecting at that unimpeded emotional level is undeniably meaningful. Doesn't matter how much of a asshole we may be in our daily lives as we struggle to deal with all there is with what we have, the recognition, that at those profound levels of understanding, we are not alone, we exist together in our kindest and happiest form of humanity, creates a community that I am still in wonder over.

A Live One is my album du jour, and hearing it again just stirred up all these memories about how it all began for me.
Go down in your own way
And everyday is the right day
And as you rise above the fear lines in his frown
You look down
Hear the sound of the faces in the crowd
fone
The Sage

Postby GolgusApparati » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:48 am

So I want to pick up a copy of ALO, but it's not available on Dry Goods. Any ideas why?
GolgusApparati

Postby Brother » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:11 am

ALO Hood was instrumental in changing my idea of what music is.
Brother

Postby vermonster » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:47 am

Its cool to hear so many people have the same experience with this hood. I have vivid memories of the first time I heard this hood, right down to the street I was on, what time it was, and who was in the car. It was by no means my first time hearing phish, but it was when I had my "holy shit" moment.
vermonster

Postby Brother » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:18 pm

I wish I could remember it as vividly as you. I was likely laying on my couch stoned listening to my headphones. Not every hood gives me chills, but this one does 9/10 times I listen to it.

As for Stash, sometimes I catch myself gripping the steering wheel or holding my breath before Trey comes back to the Stash theme and I can finally relax.
Brother

Postby PunchYouInTheOwlBox » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:06 pm

I still listen to ALO Hood at least 3 times a week to this day :thumbup:
Bethel x 3 > Darien
PunchYouInTheOwlBox

Postby fone » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:43 pm

Just listened to ALO yesterday for the first time in many moons, and it's really such a great compilation of performances.

When I was listening to the Hood on the way home from MD last night, and the section of the jam that starts to build before the first crescendo, where Fishman is totally insane, driving the jam into these incredible places, it reminded me of how I originally thought about his performance on this song as he was 'drumming fireworks'. And the thought returned again last night when I was once more amazed by his ability and talent.
Go down in your own way
And everyday is the right day
And as you rise above the fear lines in his frown
You look down
Hear the sound of the faces in the crowd
fone
The Sage

Postby Brother » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:59 pm

I listened to the second disc for five hours in the car today. Like you said earlier fone, "It was like I was a junkie, injecting that performance into my veins." I love the part in Simple, when they sing "and we play bebop in a band" and Trey unleashes that definitely not bebop lead. The contrast is awesome.

How I love this Hood. I listened to it many many times, but only got to the end once. I just kept rewinding and restarting because I wanted to hear the intro again, or the passage after "where do you go...", and different segments of the jam. Page's sparse and spaced out phrases in that quiet part after the first build...love it. My favorite of favorite parts, to me what separates a Harold Hood from a Harry Hood, is the Trey line from 13:59 to 14:06. I dunno about you guys, but I never noticed how Trey sweeps through that lead. It doesn't sound like it at first, but he's cramming an inhuman amount of notes into that tiny space. Fone, that's funny you compare Fish's playing to fireworks, because I thought his drumming builds up like an artillery barrage.

Page quotes a classical piece during his Coil solo, but I don't know what it is. He plays it at 10:38. Any help?
Brother

Postby zephish » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:12 pm

Can someone please provide the list of shows that each of the tracks for ALO are taken from? They used to have it over at the phish.net but they're still updating old info so I cannot find.
Muy apreciada! :)
~ No one will be admitted during the last 10 minutes due to the incredible ending! ~
zephish

Postby willbreathes » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:26 pm

Disc one

"Bouncing Around the Room" (Anastasio, Marshall) - 4:08
Recorded December 31, 1994 at Boston Garden in Boston, Massachusetts
"Stash" (Anastasio, Marshall) - 12:32
Recorded July 8, 1994 at Great Woods Amphitheater in Mansfield, Massachusetts
"Gumbo" (Anastasio, Fishman) - 5:15
Recorded December 2, 1994 at the Recreation Hall at University of California, Davis in Davis, California
"Montana" (Anastasio, Fishman, Gordon, McConnell) - 2:04
Recorded November 28, 1994 at the Fieldhouse at Montana State University - Bozeman in Bozeman, Montana
"You Enjoy Myself" (Anastasio) - 20:57
Recorded December 7, 1994 at Spreckels Theater in San Diego, California
"Chalk Dust Torture" (Anastasio, Marshall) - 6:48
Recorded November 16, 1994 at Hill Auditorium at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, Michigan
"Slave to the Traffic Light" (Abrahams, Anastasio, Pollak) - 10:48
Recorded November 26, 1994 at the Orpheum Theatre in Minneapolis, Minnesota

Disc two

"Wilson" (Anastasio, Marshall, Woolf) - 5:07
Recorded December 30, 1994 at Madison Square Garden in New York City
"Tweezer" (Anastasio, Fishman, Gordon, McConnell) - 30:55
Recorded November 2, 1994 at Bangor Auditorium in Bangor, Maine
"Simple" (Gordon) - 4:53
Recorded December 10, 1994 at Civic Auditorium in Santa Monica, California
"Harry Hood" (Anastasio, Fishman, Gordon, Long, McConnell) - 15:11
Recorded October 23, 1994 at The Band Shell at the University of Florida in Gainesville, Florida
"The Squirming Coil" (Anastasio, Marshall) - 11:19
Recorded October 9, 1994 at A.J. Palumbo Center in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Postby hosemasterflex » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:27 pm

Sweet! I was at two of those shows. ::gloats:: ::polishes fan badge::
hosemasterflex
Sounds Delicious

Postby zephish » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:28 pm

Thanks Mr. Breathes
Cheers
:)
zephish

Postby Brother » Mon May 23, 2011 4:32 am

zephish wrote:
UseOfLight wrote:
I think gorgeous, well-played "Hoods" can be placed in the same category as "Reba," "Slave to the Traffic Light," and "The Curtain With" as Songs That Have the Potential to Make Me Cry

It's funny you say this man as this is one of the few tunes i've shed a tear listening to.

Indeed!!!
When Trey hits that note in the jam and holds it for a bit and then continues, his guitar sounding like a trumpet and the whole band is chugging like freight train.
How can you not shed at least one? :'(

That long sustained note comes at 10:51. Weird coincidence here, I entered this thread to comment on a different part of the jam, but as I scrolled down the thread I stopped to read your comment. Guess what part of the song I was listening to?

The part of the song I was going to comment on comes about 20 seconds before. I think it's 10:31. Right when after that first build up they jump into this next section and start to tear it up. It's at that moment a girl lets out a whooooo!! Often in various recordings I just wish the whooohooo person would shut up but this is a time when that person really contributed to the overall experience. I say that person like it's this
Brother

Previous

Return to Album Discussion