Mike Gordon 'Inside In'

Discuss the Phish studio output.

Mike Gordon 'Inside In'

Postby willbreathes » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:41 am

Quite possibly my favorite solo album by any member of Phish. 'Trey Anastasio' and 'Grand Pecking Order' come close. But no... Mike has got it for me.

I have said a few times on here about the live show to accompany this album, and it still blows me away. I listened to this album during work today for the first time in a while, and a whole bunch of memories came flooding back. HUGE horns, a tap dancer for rythym, a girl with Satan's voice coming out of her mouth... Possibly the BEST show I have ever seen (outside of Phish of course).

Anyways, when I was listening to it, I remembered a web site with a video of 'Soul Food Man', and realized it hadn't been brought up on here before. It is quite funny, a nice cartoonish music video.

Anyways, everyone needs to check out this video for the essence of the Mike Gordon. Did anyone else see his solo tour (I think there were like 8 stops, and only the Boston show used to play on Live Phish), would you care to comment if you think I am going overboard on saying it was the best show I have seen.

Here is the video: http://www.insidein.com/av/
Click, 'watch the video' of course.
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Blog: View Blog (0)

Mike Gordon 'Inside In'

Postby rastabilly » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:08 am

That's bad ass! Thanks for the link.

I just got Inside In for Xmas, and it totally rules! Sort of like what would have happened if Beck were a bass player.
This isn't who it would be if it wasn't #2.

Listen to my band! www.opencountryjoy.bandcamp.com
rastabilly
Undercover Wook

Mike Gordon 'Inside In'

Postby whyweigh228 » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:12 am

Exit wound is one of the most relaxing songs ever
whyweigh228

Mike Gordon 'Inside In'

Postby zoot horn rollo » Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:41 am

i agree with your appraisal of inside in... however, the live show.. not so much. i was so into 'inside in' after i bought it that i went to livephish and downloaded a mike show.... utter disappointment. it just sounded like cheesed out versions of the tunes on his albums... and somewhat sloppy to these ears... i think i just wasn't at all impressed by the other band members. no big deal though because gordon/kottke and gordon/duo have put on some fuckin great shows. i love the beltless buckler from 12/27/05... sooo good.
zoot horn rollo
Subcomandante

Mike Gordon 'Inside In'

Postby willbreathes » Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:47 am

^ Well, I can somewhat agree with you on that. I have only listened to the Boston show as I said before, and was not really impressed. But being there, and watching it is a COMPLETELY different thing. And I know, I know, it is like that for every show.... But this one was different. I can imagine a lot of parts not coming off well without the visual side.

Like, if your show had a really dark deep voice sprouting words, imagine that coming from a skinny blonde girl, maybe 5'1 in height. Completely unexpected. Plus she played the biggest "horn" I have ever seen before, I am not even sure what it was to be honest. It curved up and down and in and out a whole lot.

Also, I was dissapointed in how the tap dancer comes off on the live recordings. You have to get that this girl tap danced (quite quickly too) the ENTIRE show as part of the rythym track. They had microphones set at her feet, and at times ther drummer was not even playing, but it sounded like drums.

Then you have Gordon Stone sitting next to the pedal steel, if you have the oppurtunity to see this man play, DO.

And of course... Mike Gordon... Leading a full piece band... Nothing else like it.

I just wish he had done more shows or comes back and revives this tour. It can and has blown quite a few minds from people I have talked to. Unfortunately, I do not think anyone on here has seen it live...
1. tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither ...
willbreathes
Third Eye Warrior

Return to Album Discussion